Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 648Posts
    • 4,311Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge
    • 2nd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge 2nd Jan 18 at 12:52 PM
    Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, I've decided to a "Fashion on the Ration" challenge for 2018. Since I already have an overflowing wardrobe and a yarn stash approaching SABLE*, my aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-

• 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.

Beyond trying to find a trench coat with a warm, detachable lining to replace my almost warn out one, I don't have any clothes-purchasing plans for 2018. (14 Coupons) My quest for the coat may take a while, since I want one where the detachable lining includes sleeves. I have been looking since September.

Care to join me?

- Pip

*SABLE=Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 02-01-2018 at 1:58 PM. Reason: annoying paragraph spacing
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 2
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 8th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Hello everyone

May I join? I planned on doing it on my own anyway, so I might as well do it with others!

I have done it in 2016, giving myself 100 points to allow for a more 21. century style wardrobe where you can't walk around all make do and mended. I have managed with 96 points and that even included 8 points for yarn for a jumper that I never finished...

So 2018 I will try it with 66 points. There is a huge "but" though since I also want to lose weight... In case I will get close to my goal of 3 stones / 20 kilos I will have to replace my entire autumn/winter wardrobe including my coat, which will be more than 66 points, not to mention the fact that I might also have to replace some summer clothes due to them getting too big or just wear and tear...

So my plan is the following; I will have 66 points until the time I have lost one stone. From then on I will get one extra point for each lb I lose, so for example 14 extras should I manage to lose 2 stones this year. Plus I will do what someone suggested and only use half the points when I replace something that gets too big if I don't upgrade. Since I don't have a decent charity shop anywhere near I unfortunatelly can't bulk out my points with second hand clothes, so I just know that I can't stretch 66 points far enough to still be dressed okish...

I know it is a bit like cheeting and I hope you still want me on that tread after that, but I just know that I can't get through this challenge with 66 points if I lose more than a few lbs this year... So I guess this "cheeting" allows me to do both, lose weight and challenge myself to think about what I buy.

LIke some others, my downfall will likly be knitting wool anyways, but I already plan on not knitting any garnments for myself while I try to lose weight (there is something so frustrating about size 16 jumpers...), so I guess besides a few scarfs and socks for which I already have yarn I will mainly knit gifts and things for charity. And should I really come across some yarn I desperately want to knit a garnment out of it once I reach my goal weight I will buy it "off points" and only charge it once I actually start knitting with it.

By the way, does anyone know if cotton is counted as wool? I guess it is, as in wool being anything organic and non-wool any man-made fiber?
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 9th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 4,311 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hello everyone

May I join? I planned on doing it on my own anyway, so I might as well do it with others!

I have done it in 2016, giving myself 100 points to allow for a more 21. century style wardrobe where you can't walk around all make do and mended. I have managed with 96 points and that even included 8 points for yarn for a jumper that I never finished...

So 2018 I will try it with 66 points. There is a huge "but" though since I also want to lose weight... In case I will get close to my goal of 3 stones / 20 kilos I will have to replace my entire autumn/winter wardrobe including my coat, which will be more than 66 points, not to mention the fact that I might also have to replace some summer clothes due to them getting too big or just wear and tear...

So my plan is the following; I will have 66 points until the time I have lost one stone. From then on I will get one extra point for each lb I lose, so for example 14 extras should I manage to lose 2 stones this year. Plus I will do what someone suggested and only use half the points when I replace something that gets too big if I don't upgrade. Since I don't have a decent charity shop anywhere near I unfortunatelly can't bulk out my points with second hand clothes, so I just know that I can't stretch 66 points far enough to still be dressed okish...

I know it is a bit like cheeting and I hope you still want me on that tread after that, but I just know that I can't get through this challenge with 66 points if I lose more than a few lbs this year... So I guess this "cheeting" allows me to do both, lose weight and challenge myself to think about what I buy.

LIke some others, my downfall will likly be knitting wool anyways, but I already plan on not knitting any garnments for myself while I try to lose weight (there is something so frustrating about size 16 jumpers...), so I guess besides a few scarfs and socks for which I already have yarn I will mainly knit gifts and things for charity. And should I really come across some yarn I desperately want to knit a garnment out of it once I reach my goal weight I will buy it "off points" and only charge it once I actually start knitting with it.

By the way, does anyone know if cotton is counted as wool? I guess it is, as in wool being anything organic and non-wool any man-made fiber?
    Originally posted by RicardaRacoon

Hi Ricarda Racoon. Welcome to the challenge.

Regarding your weight-loss-wardrobe dilemma, when you hit your target weights, we can always claim you were bombed out. Bombed out householders received extra coupons. Your calculations sound reasonable for those. (Off the top of my head, I can't remember how many and my Google-fu is failing me today, so I can't find an online reference.)

How are your sewing skills? Your skinnier self may find that your winter coat will hang on you just fine if you replace the shoulder pads with bigger ones. Or you could get a bit creative and add a few darts or take in the seams so that it fit you better. Worst case: you still have to replace it. Best case: you've saved yourself a few ££ and some clothing coupons. Anyway, having a larger coat is often an advantage, because you can wear more layers underneath. (I always buy my coats at least one size larger than everything else, for that very reason.)

Regarding coupons for knitting wool versus cotton, Based on the British habit of classifying any knitting yarn as "wool" even if it comes from a chemistry lab, my working assumption is that cotton would come under the classification of "wool". Again, I can't find a specific reference.

HTH

Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 09-01-2018 at 1:45 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 9th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Hi Ricarda Racoon. Welcome to the challenge.

Regarding your weight-loss-wardrobe dilemma, when you hit your target weights, we can always claim you were bombed out. Bombed out householders received extra coupons. Your calculations sound reasonable for those. (Off the top of my head, I can't remember how many and my Google-fu is failing me today, so I can't find an online reference.)

How are your sewing skills? Your skinnier self may find that your winter coat will hang on you just fine if you replace the shoulder pads with bigger ones. Or you could get a bit creative and add a few darts or take in the seams so that it fit you better. Worst case: you still have to replace it. Best case: you've saved yourself a few ££ and some clothing coupons. Anyway, having a larger coat is often an advantage, because you can wear more layers underneath. (I always buy my coats at least one size larger than everything else, for that very reason.)

Regarding coupons for knitting wool versus cotton, Based on the British habit of classifying any knitting yarn as "wool" even if it comes from a chemistry lab, my working assumption is that cotton would come under the classification of "wool". Again, I can't find a specific reference.

HTH

Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Thank you Pip!

Wasn't it something along the line of "when your clothes drop below a certain number due to being bombed out, fire, theft..." So I always assumed they had something like a list of how many outfits a person needed as a bare minimum and when someone got bombed out and lost all their clothes besides the ones they were standing in they would get x points which should get them a minimal wardrobe of say 3 outfits, a pair of shoes, a coat and underwear. Someone who had lost parts of their clothes would get a reduced number of points to top up their wardrobe to this minimum again and someone who lost some clothes but still had 10 dresses, 15 jumpers and half a shoe shop would get none because although they had lost clothes they still had more than enough.

About the coat, I might really be able to do something about it, depending on which part of it might be too lose. I am not the best seamstress, I can shorten jeans and alter the size a bit... But with help of my Mum and her sewing machine I might be able to alter it.

I also assumed that cotton counts as wool, both with knitting wool and also with fabric made of cotton / wool instead of any man made fibre.
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 10th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,521 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Hi I may just have fallen off the wagon at the weekend . I was book browsing in my local Cs at the week end and I came across 2 pairs of BNWT jeans. One of which ended up coming home with me.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 20th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 4,311 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hi I may just have fallen off the wagon at the weekend . I was book browsing in my local Cs at the week end and I came across 2 pairs of BNWT jeans. One of which ended up coming home with me.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum
    Apologies for the delayed response but you are still firmly on the wagon, with your 66 coupons intact. By definition, charity shop finds are secondhand , even if they still have the tags on them.

Me, on the other hand... I have well and truly slipped in my resolve to not buy any yarn. I made the mistake of browsing the Blacker Yarns website, idly looking for something that is currently not listed. Their limited edition, Brushwork yarn caught my eye and not for the first time. Previously, I had resisted but chances are that it will never be made again (the main fibre is very difficult to obtain). Ahem... 10 balls found their way into my shopping cart and I am now 10 coupons down. (Fortunately, my “wool fund” could cover the money-side of it.)

So that brings my total spent to 10/66 coupons, leaving 56 remaining.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

8,894Users online

Martin's Twitter