Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 641Posts
    • 4,216Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge
    • 2nd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge 2nd Jan 18 at 12:52 PM
    Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, I've decided to a "Fashion on the Ration" challenge for 2018. Since I already have an overflowing wardrobe and a yarn stash approaching SABLE*, my aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-

• 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.

Beyond trying to find a trench coat with a warm, detachable lining to replace my almost warn out one, I don't have any clothes-purchasing plans for 2018. (14 Coupons) My quest for the coat may take a while, since I want one where the detachable lining includes sleeves. I have been looking since September.

Care to join me?

- Pip

*SABLE=Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 02-01-2018 at 1:58 PM. Reason: annoying paragraph spacing
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 1
    • maryb
    • By maryb 2nd Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 42,245 Thanks
    maryb
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    Pip there was an article in Threads magazine about a year ago for making a detachable lining for a coat. Would that be a possibility?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    Pip there was an article in Threads magazine about a year ago for making a detachable lining for a coat. Would that be a possibility?
    Originally posted by maryb

As a last resort, yes. Thank you for thinking of it. I suppose I could always utilise my current coat's lining as a template for the sleeves, once I find a decent trench coat. (I have found one, so far, that had a detachable lining but no sleeves. It was also really poor quality manufacture - the button holes were just cut not edged.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 2nd Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    Can I join please I have tonnes of clothes and also an extra large stash of fabric and wool. I am also overweight so I am trying to loose the extra that I am carrying around. So could be interesting.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 2nd Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    Can I join please I have tonnes of clothes and also an extra large stash of fabric and wool. I am also overweight so I am trying to loose the extra that I am carrying around. So could be interesting.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum

Yes, of course. Are you another Knitter? I've done Fashion On the Ration before and found not buying yarn the hardest part. A couple of years ago, I blew almost all my "coupons" at the Knit & Stitch Show.

- Pip

• eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 3rd Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    Yes, of course. Are you another Knitter? I've done Fashion On the Ration before and found not buying yarn the hardest part. A couple of years ago, I blew almost all my "coupons" at the Knit & Stitch Show.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I am a knitter and Ally pally is my down fall. In the past I sewed quite a lot not so much now. So both Ally Pally and Olympia were my down fall. Also there is a very good fabric shop in Weymouth called So and Sews, its the type of shop that if it does'nt sell it then it's not made and I can quite easily spend a small fortune in there.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 3rd Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 6,298 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    There was a good "Fashion on the Ration" exhibition at the Imperial War Museum in Salford a year or so ago. Some of the clothes were fascinating-I remember a patchwork dress that must have taken hours to make.

What really struck me were the news reel films of the time. In spite of rationing everyone looked so smart. It was a shock to come out and see people wandering around in jogging pants and baggy T shirts.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 3rd Jan 18, 10:55 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:55 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:55 PM
    Ooh, I like this idea! My aim is to buy second-hand where I can (which I see is coupon free) but there are some things I need new and can't make (I sew and knit). Does it count if you're refashioning something - I assume that's 'free'. This might stop me buying more wool. I badly need to use some of my stash.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 4th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    There was a good "Fashion on the Ration" exhibition at the Imperial War Museum in Salford a year or so ago. Some of the clothes were fascinating-I remember a patchwork dress that must have taken hours to make.

What really struck me were the news reel films of the time. In spite of rationing everyone looked so smart. It was a shock to come out and see people wandering around in jogging pants and baggy T shirts.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    I saw that exhibition when it was in London. Some of the clothes were lovely - I remember a pinstriped suit made out of a refashioned man’s suit. Beautifully cut! I’d wear it now. There was a big push to look smart during the War, because it was perceived as morale boosting.

Ooh, I like this idea! My aim is to buy second-hand where I can (which I see is coupon free) but there are some things I need new and can't make (I sew and knit). Does it count if you're refashioning something - I assume that's 'free'. This might stop me buying more wool. I badly need to use some of my stash.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Refashioning something you already own doesn’t count. Ditto something that you purchased at a charity shop - by definition second hand - to refurbish. Buying something new and then upscaling it costs the coupons of whatever it was at purchase. To give you a real life example: during the War, my mum desperately needed a warm dressing gown. Rather than spend valuable coupons on “dress fabric” or on buying one new, she made one out of a new blanket which cost far fewer coupons.

- Pip

• kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Jan 18, 7:41 AM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 10,186 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I like the idea. Not sure I can stick to it totally, as I am losing weight at the moment, so some of my clothing buys are replacing still okay clothing, but in a smaller size, although I do take in clothes that I am able to.
    I think I will attempt the challenge.

My major downfall on clothing buying is tops. I wear reasonably cheap fitted tshirts, and have a tendency to spill down them and it doesn't always come out in a regular wash so the tops end up replaced (do recycle them as cloths)
    Does anyone have any tips for getting food stains out, especially ones that have already remained after washing and drying?
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 50.5 lb
    Last updated: 2nd January 2018
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 15,444 Posts
    • 129,873 Thanks
    JackieO
    Sounds interesting I have a problem buying clothes anyway as I have lymphodema in my right arm so its twice the size of my left one .Blooming nuisance, but as its the result of treatment for breast cancer I can live with a large arm but not with cancer so I just have to put up with it .

Now my winter coat is three years old and has quite wide sleeves which is great as I can get my wonky arm through them, and I would love to buy a new coat, but as yet can't find one which would fit so I have to wear what i have and hope it doesn't fall to bits

All of my tops have short sleeves which is OK but can be a bit nippy at time Normally I have to buy stuff two sizes bigger to accommodate my arm Grr So not buying stuff this year will be a bit like the past couple of years .Apart from underwear I rarely buy much at all
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I like the idea. Not sure I can stick to it totally, as I am losing weight at the moment, so some of my clothing buys are replacing still okay clothing, but in a smaller size, although I do take in clothes that I am able to.
    I think I will attempt the challenge.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    If it's a straight smaller-size-replacement, ie you aren't upgrading or treating yourself to fancy extras, then maybe you could count that as half the coupons or something like that?

As for getting stains out once already washed and dried - well, above all try to avoid ever letting a stain dry if possible. I've been known to leave a food-sploshed top in a bucket of cold water for days and days, just adding it to every wash I did and sticking it straight back into the bucket refilled with clean water in between washes... it worked, btw
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Originally posted by eandjsmum
    We're in the same situation! I am trying to lose some weight, several stone this year I hope, and I also have far too many clothes, and I also have tons of fabric and wool...

I've been playing around with trying to group my clothes together a bit more, depending on season/warmth.
    ie my summer clothes are mostly bright strong colours, so although I have pretty pastel tops I never actually wear them. I need to make a decision as to whether I add more pastel things to make pastel outfits (waste of money, no spare storage for lots of new things) or get rid of pastel tops (nooo, they're so pretty!) or add one or two pale neutral things, such as a cream or fawn or black skirt, so I can wear pastel tops (minimal new clothes, maximum pastel-top result).
    That sort of thing...
    • mrsnicewriting
    • By mrsnicewriting 5th Jan 18, 12:12 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    mrsnicewriting
    hi all would like to join in too, have loads of clothes (it seems) and also would like to loose some more weight this year. Will have sort out and hopefully use up some of the stash of material that I have if I decide I need further items.
    Good Luck everyone x
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 5th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    I'll follow this thread with interest as I find the 'make do and mend' concept really interesting. As Thirzah said, people were very inventive and managed to always look smart in spite of the restrictions. My aim this year is to do more refashioning and sewing to make the garments I want (I usually buy second-hand and find it hard to get new clothes to my taste anyway).

On a similar note, I've been wanting to get the 'Make Do and Mend' book for a while, but am confused as there are several with the same title. Does anyone know if they are different books, or reprints with different covers?
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 5th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Watched a programme on crime in the Blitz last night. There were several film clips showing people going about their business, bearing in mind that there was rationing at the time I thought how smart everyone looked.
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 5th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    We're in the same situation! I am trying to lose some weight, several stone this year I hope, and I also have far too many clothes, and I also have tons of fabric and wool...

I've been playing around with trying to group my clothes together a bit more, depending on season/warmth.
    ie my summer clothes are mostly bright strong colours, so although I have pretty pastel tops I never actually wear them. I need to make a decision as to whether I add more pastel things to make pastel outfits (waste of money, no spare storage for lots of new things) or get rid of pastel tops (nooo, they're so pretty!) or add one or two pale neutral things, such as a cream or fawn or black skirt, so I can wear pastel tops (minimal new clothes, maximum pastel-top result).
    That sort of thing...
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    I won't buy anything unless it goes with at least 3 things that I already own. This means that most of my clothes are blue, pink, red colours. I wear black or Navy trousers for work.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    My personal rule is 'three things I already own that I can wear with it' and 'three occasions when I could wear it'. Obviously work clothes will get worn more than three times, but anything else has to justify its place.

I've just spent 22 coupons, one-third of this year's allowance! I made the mistake of looking in the JL Clearance sale and ordered two jackets, thinking I'd send one back. I love them both, however. Dilemma - this is more than I spent (in £) on clothes in the whole of last year.

One of them is for work, I couldn't make it myself (it's a tailored style) and I'm unlikely to find anything suitable in a charity shop. Part of my job requires me to look very smart, and my current jacket is looking tired, although it still has life in it. The other one definitely passes the 'rule of three', so I'm going to keep them both. This will focus my mind on spending my remaining 44 coupons very carefully!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 7th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I'll follow this thread with interest as I find the 'make do and mend' concept really interesting. As Thirzah said, people were very inventive and managed to always look smart in spite of the restrictions. My aim this year is to do more refashioning and sewing to make the garments I want (I usually buy second-hand and find it hard to get new clothes to my taste anyway).

On a similar note, I've been wanting to get the 'Make Do and Mend' book for a while, but am confused as there are several with the same title. Does anyone know if they are different books, or reprints with different covers?
    Originally posted by Amber Sunshine

Welcome AmberSunshine.

Take a look at the Imperial War Museum’s shop. They sell facsimiles of the original as well as collections of some of the leaflets (mainly recipes).

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 7th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    My personal rule is 'three things I already own that I can wear with it' and 'three occasions when I could wear it'. Obviously work clothes will get worn more than three times, but anything else has to justify its place.

I've just spent 22 coupons, one-third of this year's allowance! I made the mistake of looking in the JL Clearance sale and ordered two jackets, thinking I'd send one back. I love them both, however. Dilemma - this is more than I spent (in £) on clothes in the whole of last year.

One of them is for work, I couldn't make it myself (it's a tailored style) and I'm unlikely to find anything suitable in a charity shop. Part of my job requires me to look very smart, and my current jacket is looking tired, although it still has life in it. The other one definitely passes the 'rule of three', so I'm going to keep them both. This will focus my mind on spending my remaining 44 coupons very carefully!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Those jackets sound worth every coupon.

You have a really good rule. When I first started making my own clothes, I would buy fabric in beautiful jewel colours and make skirt suits for work. I loved Vogue’s designer patterns. I very rapidly learned that you can’t wear a royal purple designer suit more than once a month - it was too noticible! All that hard work and I couldn’t wear it.

Then I discovered Susie Faulks’ Wardrobe book and became a disciple. Nowadays, I try to build my wardrobe around her “capsule wardrobe” concept, where as many items as possible are interchangeable, so a jacket may go with a skirt, a dress and trousers. I have to be very smartly dressed for work, so every time I buy a suit, I buy all the related components (skirt, dress, trousers, scarf, jumper, etc). I stick to neutrals for my suit and use colour for accents (tee shirt, cardigan, scarf, whatever). I have also travelled a lot for work, which usually means packing the components of as many outfits as possible into a small, carry-on, trolley case, together with casual clothes to wear in the evening. It takes a bit of planning, particularly when you don’t want to look the same every day.

My favourite boutique is a French chain, Un Jour Ailleur, and they will dress you from head to toe with separates. I have learned a lot from my encounters with their saleswomen, even though I only speak 40 words or so of French. They always demonstrate how to style their clothes. Their clothes are classics - I buy a suit about every two years and am still wearing the first one from 2004.

Virtually all the rest of my work wardrobe are charity shop finds. I scored four suits a couple of winters ago and have been variously told that I look very smart in all of them, by people who didn’t know they were secondhand. I believe January is a good hunting time for work clothes because so many people make a New Year’s resolution to clear out their wardrobes. (Also excellent for sporting goods for the same reason.)

- Pip

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,864Posts Today

9,413Users online

Martin's Twitter