Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 2nd Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    • 2,190Posts
    • 2,278Thanks
    Fergie76
    High Energy Bill - Possible Problem
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    High Energy Bill - Possible Problem 2nd Jan 18 at 10:57 AM
    My daughter lives in a small flat, which is basically two rooms, kitchen/living room, bedroom/shower room.

The flat is electric only. Previously her electric bill was included in her rent, as there was only one meter for her flat and the house upstairs, as the Landlord who owns her flat also owns the one upstairs and there was no way of telling who used what electric.

In November, the electric was split and each house was given its own meter and my daughter was then responsible for her own electric costs.

She has just had her first bill and for a month it is £173, which is exceptionally high considering she works 12-hour shifts and is hardly ever home and even when she is, she is in bed sleeping.

When she is home she is frightened to turn anything on. The only things that are on all the time are her fridge and wifi router.

It is smart metres that have been installed and hers and the people that live upstairs meters are in the same cupboard, so when she has been checking hers, she has also been checking her neighbours, and her neighbours usage/cost is significantly lower than hers, despite being a young family, home more than my daughter and house more than twice the size.

How possible/probable is it that when they have connected the two meters that they have mixed them up and charging my daughter for upstairs and vise-versa? This is the only thing that I can think of, as I have contacted the energy company and they say that the smart meter is working correctly.
Page 2
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 2nd Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    matelodave
    Over the years I've remotely talked my daughters through fixing washing machines, replacing fuses, rewiring lights etc through to changing points and headlights on cars (shows how old they are) and the same for both of my sons in law. I still get phone calls and they are both in their mid forties

It helps them learn a lot faster than if you go and do it for them.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 2nd Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    There is definitely something wrong - I live in what sounds like a similar size flat and spend £50/month on electric. And I'm on a key meter (pay in advance).

I never switch on the water as my shower is electric and I boil the kettle for anything else. I also don't use the wall heaters as they eat electricity and give out no heat, instead I bought an oil less radiator and use that.

I'm not sure why she can't check tonight - light some candles or use a torch and switch everything off at the fuse / meter point then see what the readings are after half an hour.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Robin9
    Fergie76- any progress ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Spark Energy: Jenny
      Verified User verified user
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 8th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Spark Energy: Jenny
    Hi Fergie76

I'd like to have a look at your daughter's account.

Can you ask her to pop me an email using the address in my profile please? If you're authorised on her account you're welcome to contact me too.

Happy to take a look if I hear from you.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 9th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Fergie76
    Apologies for the delay in replying.

So my daughter did a burn test and it appears no electricity was used during this time, which probably rules out the meters being wired the wrong way round.

I phoned Spark again tonight and the said there is pretty much nothing they can do, as everything looks ok from their end, so all they can suggest is either my daughters Landlord gets a Sparky out to check or she does at her own expense.

I'm really struggling on what to suggest to my daughter, as everything is switched off at the sockets, except her fridge and wifi router. During this cold spell she is frightened to turn her heating on and won't turn her heating, it is too cold to sit in the living room, so she is in bed, so the tv is not even being used.

I confirmed with Spark tonight and she is on the cheapest tariff. They said over the last eight days, she has averaged 11 units a day, and yesterday used 21. They said this wasn't an unusual amount. I don't know what the averages is, but I still think this is high, for what she is telling me she is using.

Since the bill on 31 Dec 17 where her final reading was 1159, it is now 1310 (151 units used) and cost £27.03.

On 2 Jan the young family upstairs readings were 718.3 and are now 779.5 (61.2 units used, less than half of my daughter). I have told her to know on their door and ask them about their bill, but she is not the best of terms with the girl that lives there, so is reluctant.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Jan 18, 2:57 AM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Robin9
    11 units a day in an all electric flat is not excessive.

One of the checks suggested was to turn off her consumer unit
    - has she done this ?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Jan 18, 3:12 AM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    badmemory
    Wait until teatime - after dark, light her candles & turn off that power at the meter. Sit watching the meter no longer moves & wait for her neighbours to come out to check their fuses. If that doesn't work then go out to work leaving it turned off. Preferably if she is on the night shift!
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 10th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Fergie76

One of the checks suggested was to turn off her consumer unit
    - has she done this ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Yes she has, as I said in previous post.

11 units may not be excessive, but that's because she has not turned anything on. All she has on is her fridge and WIFI router all the time and occasionally a few other appliances, but it has now got to the stage where she is frightened to turn most things on.

Going on her the final meter reading of her bill (31 Dec 17), 1159 and a reading she took last night, 1310, she has used 151 in 9 days, which actually works out at 16.77 units per day and remember she works 12 hours a day 5 out 7 and compare that to the young family that live upstairs (house more than double the size) and are home at lot more than my daughter, their usage is almost half of my daughters (see previous post for their readings).
    • victor2
    • By victor2 10th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4,741 Posts
    • 3,164 Thanks
    victor2
    Tell her to use the smart meter's in-house display (which she presumably has) and check the usage it reports at any one moment - in kWh, forget £ for now.
    The last one I had updated itself every 10 seconds from the meter, so if hers is similar there could be a short delay in it changing.
    It's easy to see though - just switch on the electric kettle and see what the display reports as the kettle is warming up. If that proves the display is working, get her to look at what the display says is being used when only the fridge and WiFi router is on. Then she can start to see what other things are using. When the fridge compressor is not running, there should be next to no usage on it. Even when the compressor cuts in, it shouldn't be more than a few hundred watts.
    Does she have storage heaters? If so, they could be incorrectly set up, and even if correctly set, they can use a lot of energy.
    • ChaunceyGardiner
    • By ChaunceyGardiner 10th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ChaunceyGardiner
    Originally posted by Robin9
    It seems high if she's not using the heating or immersion. I have gas but I'm at home all day and average around 5kWh, which covers the fridge freezer, cooking, a quick electric shower, central heating pump, lighting and various gadgets.
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 10th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Fergie76
    Tell her to use the smart meter's in-house display (which she presumably has) and check the usage it reports at any one moment - in kWh, forget £ for now.
    The last one I had updated itself every 10 seconds from the meter, so if hers is similar there could be a short delay in it changing.
    It's easy to see though - just switch on the electric kettle and see what the display reports as the kettle is warming up. If that proves the display is working, get her to look at what the display says is being used when only the fridge and WiFi router is on. Then she can start to see what other things are using. When the fridge compressor is not running, there should be next to no usage on it. Even when the compressor cuts in, it shouldn't be more than a few hundred watts.
    Does she have storage heaters? If so, they could be incorrectly set up, and even if correctly set, they can use a lot of energy.
    Originally posted by victor2
    Will do thanks.

No, they are not storage heaters. They are just electric wall panel heaters. Not sure the exact name of them.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Robin9
    They are just electric wall panel heaters. Not sure the exact name of them.
    Originally posted by Fergie76
    An electric shower may well be the cause.A 15 min shower would be 2 kwh a time.
    Last edited by Robin9; 10-01-2018 at 8:31 PM. Reason: deleted ref to panel heaters - reread she's not using heating
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

995Posts Today

8,037Users online

Martin's Twitter