Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Neo187
    • By Neo187 2nd Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 258Posts
    • 7,953Thanks
    Neo187
    0 WOW
    Does anyone collect Avios?
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    0 WOW
    Does anyone collect Avios? 2nd Jan 18 at 10:29 AM
    I have been foolishly collecting Avios for the past year. I have been collecting on their site, rather than through a credit card, so when i'm doing online shopping, ill put the purchases through avios first. I've managed to collect 30K+ avios so far, which is very nice. However, I have now only just realised its potentially a waste of time. I went to book a flight to New York to visit a friend, and the total was 28K avios, which is fine. However, you need to pay a fee on top of £330! I checked online flights, and I could find a return with BA on their site for £330! So absolutely no point in using avios! Anyone else had a similar situation? The additional costs on top of using avios seems to make the avios worthless.
    Started comping: September 2013
    Wins so far: Cunard QM2 Cruise, X Factor final tickets, £1,000 Team build day, Dinner at the Ritz with Rolls Royce limo

Page 2
    • zerog
    • By zerog 5th Jan 18, 1:54 AM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    zerog
    Not sure I understand the maths here.

Yes, you would lose the "taxes" element of the return flight-but unless it's a business seat this would be less than £17:50.

AFAIK economy taxes are set at £17:50 max.

Also if it's one of the cheaper taxes it would be something like £4.60
    Originally posted by blindman
    When an airline significantly changes its schedules or cancels a flight after you have a confirmed ticket, then it has to find you a suitable alternative or refund you in full.

This is the case for airlines around the world, but the definition of "significantly" and "suitable" I have used above may vary. But presumably Roger1 was booking on BA, an EU airline that must comply with EC Regulation 261/2004, which defines things a bit more clearly.

If Roger1's ticket included both an outbound and return segment, then unilateral cancellation by the airline 14 days prior to either segment, with no suitable alternatives for the passenger would have made the entire ticket refundable in full, with no fees or charges. This is because the airline has decided not to honour part of the contract for travel, and therefore must make a complete refund of the entire contract.

As Roger1 had two separate contracts for travel, then he had to pay a fee to cancel a contract for travel that the airline was still prepared to fulfill.

Nonetheless, cancelling a BA redemption ticket at least 24 hours before the first flight should never result in having to pay anything extra. The fee of £25 indicates that this was a redemption in Club Europe rather than just being a longer flight, as the cap of £17.50 applies to flights of any length that are eligible for RFS.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 5th Jan 18, 8:07 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Roger1
    Not sure I understand the maths here.
    It's not a question of maths but of using two separate one way bookings for the same trip, as zerog explains very well in the post after yours.

Having said that, I wouldn't normally hesitate to book two one ways in future if the inbound cost less that way.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 5th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 4,063 Thanks
    blindman
    It's not a question of maths but of using two separate one way bookings for the same trip, as zerog explains very well in the post after yours.

Having said that, I wouldn't normally hesitate to book two one ways in future if the inbound cost less that way.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    90% of zerog post was irrelevant to my post.
    I was not asking how contract law works

You put

It was a longer RFS; a shorter one would have cost £17.50 each.
    Which was what I was querying as RFS economy "taxes" are £17:50 max each way.

The length of flight affects how many AVIOS you need.

Point taken re the small risk if your Outbound flight is cancelled by BA though.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 6th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Roger1
    90% of zerog post was irrelevant to my post.
    It was relevant to the discussion.
    I was not asking how contract law works
    Is this relevant?

You put

Which was what I was querying as RFS economy "taxes" are £17:50 max each way.
    Not quite. Some RFS awards cost more. Without going too far into irrelevance, take a look at JNB-CPT which costs more. As it happens, ours were in Club Europe, for which the maximum is £25 each way. In my earlier post, 'longer' was relevant only in terms of Avios.
    Point taken re the small risk if your Outbound flight is cancelled
    Aha!
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 6th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 8,489 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Some long haul flights the taxes are almost as high as a cheap flight,New York being a prime example.How ever im in Barbados at the moment using air miles plus companion flight and the taxes were around 520 for both tickets .We were speaking to a couple this week who paid less than that using Virgin airmiles
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

9,250Users online

Martin's Twitter