Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 2nd Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 61Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    0 WOW
    Long Haul Destination Ideas
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    0 WOW
    Long Haul Destination Ideas 2nd Jan 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi,

We are looking at booking a quite a long haul 2 week holiday in June or July. Ideally looking at somewhere where flights are around £500 but the cost of living is really cheap. We looked at Bali as flights from Manchester were around £500 however w though the flight time of 23 hours was too long for a 2 week holiday.

Other places we’ve considered are Thailand and South Africa. Could anybody offer any other suggestions. Would Cuba we OK priced as hotels seem quite expensive.

Ideal flight time would be max 10 hours
Page 3
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Just found this very recent thread off the Vietnam Forum on Trip Advisor about getting a flight from Cat Bi to Da Nang...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293923-i9984-k11061968-How_to_do_Ha_long_to_haiphong-Halong_Bay_Quang_Ninh_Province.html

Your call.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 5th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    blindman
    Is there no quick way to get from halong bay to hoi ann instead of going back to Hanoi. Think we will give hue a miss as recently went to Japan do all templed out
    Originally posted by Moneygrabber89
    When we went I looked at the options and the quickest way was to get a car to Ninh Bin (where we were having a day or two) and then catch a train from there.

There are buses but they are not that regular nor reliable IMHO.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    When we went I looked at the options and the quickest way was to get a car to Ninh Bin (where we were having a day or two) and then catch a train from there.
    Originally posted by blindman
    Seriously? I thought the train from Ninh Binh to Danang took about 14 [possibly longer and uncomfortable] hours.

There are buses but they are not that regular nor reliable IMHO.
    I agree, use them as the final option, and never travel on an overnight bus. Recently a sleeper bus in Vietnam got scythed from from front to back by an industrial construction scythe which was being piggy-backed on a lorry. The scythe, which was secured in the vertical position suddenly broke loose into the horizontal.....made a mess and a few passengers met an horrible end.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 5th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    blindman
    Seriously? I thought the train from Ninh Binh to Danang took about 14 [possibly longer and uncomfortable] hours.

Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Yes, 14 hrs but overnight in a sleeper is the best use of money and time and not that uncomfortable IMHO.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I like overnight train travel too, not done it Vietnam, but twice in Thailand and once on a train with square wheels in Turkey.

They're not everyone's cup of tea though.....my wife for one, she only tags along out of curiosity!

I'll post the timetable in a few minutes.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 05-01-2018 at 3:37 PM.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Timetables, fares, and a whole lot about train travel in Vietnam...

https://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

Worth noting that the man who runs that website is passionate about trains, a complete 'anorak', and does get some criticism about his rose-tinted glasses.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 7th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    blindman
    Timetables, fares, and a whole lot about train travel in Vietnam...

https://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

Worth noting that the man who runs that website is passionate about trains, a complete 'anorak', and does get some criticism about his rose-tinted glasses.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I linked to that site in post 32

Have used him to get the info as to how to book trains in China and India.

No doubt will use it in the future.

Our trips tend to be from 0* to 5* in both travel and accommodation

Mrs B tolerates the 0* for the 5* delights
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I linked to that site in post 32
    Sorry, missed it.....didn't realise it was hidden beneath Danang.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,679Users online

Martin's Twitter