Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 1st Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,020Posts
    • 3,265Thanks
    littleredhen
    Cycling after healed broken wrist
    • 1st Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    Cycling after healed broken wrist 1st Jan 18 at 8:14 PM
    Unfortunately my wrist has not gone back to the flexibility it should have after breaking it in February (Colles fracture)
    I have had physio but it just does not bend up the way properly and I recently tried cycling to work and it was uncomfortable (not painful)
    It is a fairly flat cycle of 5 miles, I have lost my fitness after 8 months of not cycling but I am finding it impossible to get a comfy position on the handle bars - they are just straight handle bars.
    Any advice please?
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 1st Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 7,818 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    Are you putting too much weight on your hands? Maybe a stem with a steeper angle (to effectively raise the handlebars) would make things more comfortable...?

I recently got something like this for my bike:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360581798913
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 2nd Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    Yes I am definitely putting too much weight on my handlebars, I seem to do this until I get fitter and then its not too much of a problem!

• Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 2nd Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    Sometimes pain can tell you it is a good idea not to do something but sometimes the complete opposite is the case. Self-refer to the (NHS) physio & get some expert advice? They can tell you whether you are doing yourself some good by trying to ride or whether you are causing more damage.

Do be patient with yourself. The body is remarkable & can heal, but it takes time.

(My anecdote: my old slight injury to my hand from coming off my bicycle on black ice flared up after twenty years but went away again when I saw the physio for my neck & got the right exercises).
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 2nd Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    Hi there its not pain and there is no physio that can help it is just the way my bones have healed, I was offered an operation but with no guarantee of it going back where it should be - basically the long bone sticks out and sort of rubs (no pain) on my wrist joint and I can't bend my wrist back properly, no amount of physio is going to get my wrist back any further as I have had several physio visits and been advised it won't get any better than I already have

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 2nd Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    and should say it looks deformed! the hospital told me I was "unlucky" that it healed that way!!

• Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 2nd Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    That is really bad luck, little red hen. Esuhl (see post #2) is good on technical bike stuff & so are some of the others on this forum, so hopefully one of them will read your post & come up with lots of practical suggestions.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 2nd Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    fred246
    • 2nd Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    I think a penny farthing may provide a more relaxed position and take the weight off your wrists.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 2nd Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    There's a lot of options out there that can adjust your wrist position to make it more comfortable, I've a few friends that do very long distance cycling and they prefer more swept back handlebars as it's easier on their wrists:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jones+handle+bars&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa =X&ved=0ahUKEwiV7t_7z7nYAhXGDMAKHejtDVcQ_AUICygC&b iw=1502&bih=734&dpr=1.25

John
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 2nd Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Lorian
    These help my wrists. They aren't very mse. you can get cheaper clones I think.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ergon-gp1-handlebar-grips/

Also be aware moving your seat backwards on the rails can tend to take weight off the wrists, if there is room and it doesn't upset your pedaling geometry.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 6th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I had two colles fractures about 18 months apart as a teenager. My wrist is misshapen, has less mobility and has bothered me off and on ever since many years later. So it may be you are stuck with it.

I do long distance cycling on a road bike and can lose the feeling in the fingers of that hand if I don't change position regularly. Once the numbness sets in it can be difficult to get rid of it.

You could find ways of improving the weight on your wrist, but it could mean throwing a lot of money at it. European style bikes have a more upright position - and often have an adjustable stem. That has a variable height which raises the position and brings the handlebars closer to you. A bit like this, though the ones I have seen have been silver rather than black.

However - and not wanting to be the bringer of bad news, your wrist may never quite recover to pre-accident levels of functioning.
    • cbmaxyz
    • By cbmaxyz 8th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cbmaxyz
    Try drop bars but ride them on the hoods, not on the drops. Any local bike shop worth its salt will be happy to demonstrate. You'll have a wider variety of hand positions and you don't need to grip anywhere near as hard as with flat bars - you can just wrap your hands gently round the hoods. I moved from flat bars to drops a few years ago and wouldn't go back, simply because of how lightly you can grip them.
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 11th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    Would it be worth going in for a professional bike fit to see if they can work out a different sitting position? E.g. moving saddle back/forwards, longer stem, raising the bars etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,874Posts Today

10,592Users online

Martin's Twitter