Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dougie Bilbie
    • By Dougie Bilbie 1st Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Dougie Bilbie
    0% balance transfer
    • 1st Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    0% balance transfer 1st Jan 18 at 7:02 PM
    I got a new tesco credit card and transfered my capital 1 balance over at 0%. I've never spent on the card and only used it to pay off the debt so I've never paid interest. My question is if I spent on my card would interest be on the purchase or the whole amount I have on my card?
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 1st Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 24,366 Posts
    • 11,653 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 1st Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    Most cards will operate this way - you still have 0% on your balance transfer BUT no 56 day interest free period on any additional spending - interest will be charged on any new purchases.

IMO it is not a good idea to mix purchases and interest free cards.
    Could you not spend what you want on the old Capital One card?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 1st Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    As Jones says - you are better to put the purchase on the Cap1 card. At least you will have the option to pay off on the due date without incurring interest.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • Dougie Bilbie
    • By Dougie Bilbie 2nd Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dougie Bilbie
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    I don't have the capital one card anymore as i didn't want 2 credit cards so when I transferred the balance in cancelled the capital one card so I only have the Tesco card
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 14,905 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    zx81
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    Always have at least one back up card, if not more.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 2nd Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    It may be worth getting another card if you are going to put purchases on it.
    It won't cost anything if it's only used, then paid in full. (assuming it's not a fee charging rewards type card) You can use as and when required.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • Opsore Singhan
    • By Opsore Singhan 2nd Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Opsore Singhan
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    No interest to cover purchases for up to 29 months from account opening. We might offer you a 0% interest period of 23 or 17 months instead depending on your Unique circumstances and 0% interest on balance transfers for your first 3 months with a balance transfer rate of 2.9%. You are able to transfer up to 95 percent of your available credit limit.
    • Johnben
    • By Johnben 5th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnben
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    Just spent 3 days trying to sort out a balance Transfer. Halifax o% made a total hash of it and I had to cancel. Sainsburys offered me a measly £3500 credit limit. Barclays offered me £8300 in seconds. Sainsburys also wanted to send me written documents to sign before they would issue a card. My take is avoid Sainsburys unless you only want to transfer a small balance and avoid Halifax if you want to avoid 20 to 30 minutes waiting to be answered. My credit rating is 988 out of 999 so I reckon Sainsburys only want small balances to avoid supporting large amounts
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 14,905 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    Unfortunately only you and Experian care about your credit score.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,268Posts Today

8,386Users online

Martin's Twitter