Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 1st Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 1,115Thanks
    bumblebeany
    Minimise plastic waste 2018. China refuses our refuse.
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    Minimise plastic waste 2018. China refuses our refuse. 1st Jan 18 at 5:39 PM
    I have tried to reduce plastic waste over the years, but it has always been easy to slip back into old habits, especially when plastic is so ubiquitous.

Now that China are going to refuse our refuse for recycling there will be bound to be a knock on effect to consumers. In theory you would hope that this could be an impetus for manufacturers to change their packaging, what seems more likely to happen in the short term is that fines in the way of plastic taxes will be passed onto consumers.

Thought it might be good to put tips, hints etc on ways to reduce waste plus rants you have sent to manufacturers/politicians In one place, I know it pops up on other threads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42455378
Page 3
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 14,588 Posts
    • 40,177 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've given up flying a few years back now personally - though I'd never done that much anyway (courtesy of rarely being able to afford holidays).

It's just struck me to think that those "how many Earths are you using?" type calculators may be defective in more ways than one. I did one once and seem to remember coming in at nearly 2 Earths worth (even with my no flying/no car/etc lifestyle) and wondering how that could possibly be so. Daylight dawned - and I re-did the quiz with exactly the same answers, but this time putting that there are 2 people (rather than 1) living in my house and it reduced the answer to 1 Earth worth. In other words - it aint owt I'm doing/not doing personally that's causing me to "overshoot" and the only way out of that would be to have a "marriage of convenience" (so that's where I went wrong is it - ie I waited for Mr Right and he never showed up).

I betcha the quiz has a flaw in the other direction - and reduces peoples individual total for same life style up to a total of 4 people in the household, but then continues to reduce it (instead of absolutely whacking it up for large families - unless it's a commune of course, rather than a family).
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 5th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    tori.k
    Life is about balance or should be, VJsmum.
    Thousands of small changes changes makes a huge impact when they are multiplying by million's of people, telsa and the likes are working on the bigger issues like transportation, the first fully electric big rigs will hit the roads in 2019 in the US.
    I've traveled a lot over the years I hold no guilt as I've seen and done things that a lot of people will never have the opportunity to do, my kids have seen real poverty and been educated about the world that you can only appreciate by seeing, just like the whole plastic free movement has come about by the information that now out there about the world wide issue of ocean plastic.
    Every small win is celebrated, if someone just says no to a plastic straw or uses a reusable product over a single use one,
    Plastic is amazing especially in the medical field unfortunately it's become abused like most resources.
    I think a bigger issues is when issue become on trend, like zero waste, people get over enthusiastic they decide to make a positive change purging as much plastic from there homes to landfill and purchased friendly replacements, which is so counterproductive.
    Minimal waste goes hand in hand with minimal living in my eyes, its going to take me most of my lifetime to need to replace a lot of stuff I already own that's plastic, but for years we stopped as much as we can from adding to it. It's all we can do, this will be an ongoing issue for generations.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 2000 /6000
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 5th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    culpepper
    There is a website called precious plastic that has plans for plastic recycling machines . The 3d printing industry, while initially seeming to be a wasteful endevour is probably going to help towards recycling of plastics as it grows because of the development of recycling machines such as these.
    I saw a video on youtube about a company that made fencing entirely out of waste plastic e.g. bottle lids . The fencing was large and strong and they said ,rot proof.

I think it is Sweden that burn rubbish for energy and have to buy it in because they cant produce enough of their own.

Mum always used to take her shopping bag to the green grocers/butchers/fruiterers. Everything came in thin brown paper bags and if she was buying potatoes,She lined the bag with newspaper first.
    I think the butcher had sheets of butchers paper..It was like un-printed newspaper and he would weigh the meat and then wrap it thickly.
    Fish and chips always came in just paper too, usually unprinted newspaper.
    There would be waxed paper bags for some things, cardboard cartons for others (even Icecream).
    Many things that would have been made of bakelite in the past are now plastic. Electric outlets,sockets,light fittings,phones
    I don't think there is one place in my entire house that plastic isn't used but we do try to keep it down by not buying overly packaged goods.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 5th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    tori.k

I think it is Sweden that burn rubbish for energy and have to buy it in because they cant produce enough of their own.

Originally posted by culpepper
    Yep they do ,then dump the toxic ash that remains on Norway an island just outside of Oslo.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 5th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 42,265 Thanks
    maryb
    bear in mind when you look at those footprint calculators that most environmentalists don’t have the first clue about costing. They usually plump for average cost which produces absurdities such as saying that someone who travels off peak on public transport generates more emissions than if they had driven. Whereas, of course, the marginal cost is minimal
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 14,588 Posts
    • 40,177 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep they do ,then dump the toxic ash that remains on Norway an island just outside of Oslo.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    Oh dear

Though our country can't talk - as it seems to be the case that the first thought after "We can't lumber China with our plastic any more" comes down to "What other less developed country can we lumber with it instead?"

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 19,851 Posts
    • 32,454 Thanks
    Spendless
    Am very sympathetic! I too find this is a problem. The best way to cope is to have a rucsack or bag with an external pocket that keeps the bottle upright. Otherwise I find that the best is re-usable plastic bottles - it's the quality of the plastic that helps to keep them leakproof. Better than single use bottles...
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Thanks that works for the college boy who can take any style of bag into class with him but not for DD who has to have a school style issue bag (new uniform rules) and not able to stand it upright. I've tried some reusable ones in the past but never found the 'ultimate' non-leaking one and can't risk GCSE work getting ruined. I had a read of the link given in an earlier post (admittedly briefly). I'm very tempted by the smaller chilli ones, though wish I'd thought to buy as a xmas present!

ETA - Now read the thread and seen the tip about Kleen Kanteens, will have a look.

I bought these re-usable bags a few years ago.

https://www.zpm.com/products/eco-shopping-bags/eco-shopping-bag-set/default.aspx
    Last edited by Spendless; 05-01-2018 at 5:43 PM.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 5th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere

Can you still get proper string bags (ie, not plasticy ones)?
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    You can crochet them with cotton yarn or with string. And you only need minimal crocheting ability too, pretty well just chain stitch.
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 5th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    If you are a tea drinker, you might wish to consider moving from using tea bags to using the old fashioned tea leaves and a strainer. The material used to make teabags contains plastic - it certainly doesn't rot down in the compost bin! Tealeaves on their own will rot down.

Bonus of this is that you usually get a much better flavoured cup of tea.....
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 19,851 Posts
    • 32,454 Thanks
    Spendless
    I bought a 'string' bag a few years ago from M&S. It was one of their options when purchasing a re-usable bag. It was called a 'Turtle Bag' I don't think they sell them anymore, so I looked on-line and found this;

https://www.turtlebags.co.uk/product-page/organic-short-handled-string-bag
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 14,588 Posts
    • 40,177 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Very depressing video-ette on my Facebook feed at the moment. Shows a man with one of those large round garden sieves standing on the shore at Hawaii and one quick scoop at the edge of the waves with that sieve and its full of loads of tiny plastic particles and you can see them all swirling around in the sea.

Another one (Britain this time as I recall) revealed the nearer-to-sea edge of seaweed, etc, deposited on the beach and one could clearly see a row of these plastic particles. Thankfully community beach cleans are a regular feature of life in West Wales and so we're not subjected to loads of the clearly visible type of junk on them - but I wonder if anyone knows the best method to remove those sort of beach particles? Of course, if stuff like that was on one's own carpet - then it would be a case of get out the hoover or a dustpan and brush. Is there any "industrial" outside equivalent?

• maryb
    • By maryb 7th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 42,265 Thanks
    maryb
    I retired my Brita water filter jug because even though you can return the cartridges for recycling in Argos or Homebase, I wasn't sure how much recycling of the filters they actually did.

Had a nosey on their website and it said this

A BRITA cartridge is made up of three materials: The plastic body and the filtering material, which consists of activated carbon and ion exchangers. The plastic material is pre-cleaned and then ground. The resulting plastic granulate is supplied to the plastics industry for renewed processing for various purposes. The activated carbon and ion exchangers are carefully separated. The activated carbon is returned to the manufacturer where it is reactivated in special installations and made available for other uses such as waste water treatment.
    The ion exchangers are subjected to a chemical and thermal 100% recycling and purification process at our own plant. At the end of this process, the ion exchange resin fulfils all the quality demands that are expected in functional and hygienic terms of new, freshly produced ion exchanger resin. The ion exchange resin is then reused for the production of household water filters.

Could be worse I suppose. I am missing filtered water. However I think you can get filters that you plumb in and they last anything up to a year which would mean a lot less plastic being used

I wonder if using a water filter would take out microplastics? Any ideas?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 7th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    tori.k
    Maryb you can buy charcoal purification sticks for about a £5 they last about 6 months no plastic and cheaper than cartridges.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 42,265 Thanks
    maryb
    Ooh thanks Tori. Had a quick google and I think it’s the same thing I’ve seen referred to in a book by Vanessa Kimball about sourdough which I thought at the time sounded interesting
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 9th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    tried out a shampoo bar last night and really pleased with the results. Will see how many washes it does first before i fully commit to changing. Hoping for numerous washes as it will mean less single use plastic coming into the house and possibly save money in the long run.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th Jan 18, 4:01 AM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 42,265 Thanks
    maryb
    I’m really pleased with how silky and shiny my hair feels after using my hugely expensive shampoo bar. Think I’ll carry on with that.

It’s interesting that so many people are waking up to the amount of plastic that surrounds us.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 14,588 Posts
    • 40,177 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I dont know so much about "waking up". Some of us have "always known" and sighed sadly as, one by one, the products we buy have gone from glass bottles to plastic ones etc. Followed by wondering when "Mr and Mrs Average" will care enough to start shouting. I've been watching as bags in supermarkets have changed from paper to plastic for instance and "Mr and Mrs Average" have stood there in front of me bagging up stuff that doesnt need bagging up at all. A lot still are - I watched someone bag up literally one big loose item that didnt need it in the slightest do so in front of me at the supermarket and another one behind me buying a plastic shopping bag from the supermarket. The message will take a long time to get through to some people.....and the only way to stop them will be to make it physically impossible for them to do things like that (ie because the stuff isnt available for them to take).

So - thank goodness Mr and Mrs Average have finally clicked - if its years after the rest of us have been forced into buying all this plastic stuff too (because that's all there is available).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-01-2018 at 8:28 AM.

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 35,031 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Interesting thread.

I fall into the ‘must try harder’ category...

One change we did make was getting rid of our ‘pod’ coffee machine - we have 3 adults that love coffee, so we invested in a bean to cup machine, which was expensive to start with, but beans are a lot cheaper, and we use the grounds in the garden - I cannot guess at how many ‘pods’ we have saved, must be hundreds....

I have also started buying F&V from a proper greengrocer, much less packaging and the quality is better too, it also saves money as I buy what we need, rather than what the supermarkets tell us we need
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

January GC £250.00/157.00
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 12th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    I also buy veg from the local greengrocer now: last year I wanted some potatoes and I was in Waitrose . Not wanting 2.5 kg or a plastic bag, I went to get loose potatoes and found that exactly the same variety cost nearly double per kg loose than prepackaged. I had words both in the store and later on the phone with customer service and was told that it's what all the supermarkets do. I decided to vote with my purse! The potatoes at the greengrocer cost more than the prepacked but less than the loose ones in the supermarket, but I can choose the number and size that I want and I am supporting a local business which sources as much as possible from local suppliers. I take my own reusable produce bags, but if I were to forget, they have paper bags, not plastic.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 12th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    tori.k
    I use the greengrocer but more because because I'm a tight begger some weeks I don't need a kg of plastic wrapped carrots so can just buy the few I need so the cost balances out. Same as the butcher I only have one meat eater in the house so only need a couple of slices of bacon or couple of sausages. In honesty I actually save money and the less waste is the bonus, I did get odd looks when I first turned up at the butchers with a box to put the meat in but now nobody bats an eyelid, and at the odd times does raise the plastic waste conversation with other customers, but usually in the form of older people that chat about how things were back in the day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

570Posts Today

5,407Users online

Martin's Twitter