Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,529Posts
    • 17,744Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1141.10 (50.4% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £708.21 (11.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 1/60
    Emergency fund - £25/£1000. Car fund - £75/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 2/6. Groceries target £75.93/£150. NSD target 9/18.
Page 2
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 4th Jan 18, 6:41 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    jackie O, you seem to be doing well with decluttering. It's a great feeling isn't it.

I have minimised 2 bags of magazines, and a bag of crockery items, They'll be going to the chazzer today. Not all of them accept magazines, I was pleased to find one that does.

Also I've got a small bag of clothes that have hardly been worn, (too big and too small) so I'll take them to the Oxf*m boutique shop which is only a short bus ride away. Their prices are a bit higher than the usual charity shops, and some of the clothes are designer labels. Not that I buy those !

Take care folks
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 4th Jan 18, 7:19 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 6,278 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    If you have any M&S clothes in your donation Scarlet don't forget to ask Oxf*m for a M&S voucher.
    • dND
    • By dND 4th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    dND
    What brand is it?
    Originally posted by Floss
    It's Animal Warehouse own brand, I don't know if they trade in the UK

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 15,427 Posts
    • 129,620 Thanks
    JackieO
    Its very 'freeing' I have found decluttering, and realise I really don't need to have all this junk around me

The last two boxes will be done and dusted today ,its mostly old paperwork which will be shredded and recycled Then its onwards to the spare room definitely a woman on a mission this week
    making do with whats in the cupboard Soup from the freezer and probably a salad or sorts for dinner tonight last nights one was delicious tonight I think its probably going to be tuna and sweetcorn from the tin stash mixed with mayo and a good grating of black pepper it will do with salad for tonight and probably tomorrow as well and a couple of tins will be used up from my stash so a make do and a minimise in one go there

Mending I have two edges to knit for one of my charity blankets ,so I will do that tonight while watching TV
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • sinkorswim2018
    • By sinkorswim2018 4th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    sinkorswim2018
    Hi. Is it okay if I join you all?

Decluttering is definatately on my agenda, I moved for the first time in 17 years in August so there's already a lot of unnecessary stuff gone. Plenty still to go however and if I can decrease.any debt with it then all good.
    I have put new stiff on soles on my work shoes and a bit of shoe glue to add some life.
    I did get caught out last month however, my 2 and half year old Bosch washing machine died and I got it repaired- £50, the guy wasn't a hundred percent sure he'd fixed it and said if it went again it was the motor which would cost £160 in parts alone. 3 washes later and I had to buy a new machine the week before Christmas..oh well, I tried.
    Monthly spend so far:£429.53 (14.1.17). Budget for month £800
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 4th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 15,418 Posts
    • 197,227 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Still working on the crochet blanket so far it's removed 6 balls of wool from my stash
    grocery challenge January budget £400 spent £
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Me before you
    christmas Stocking
    17in 2018challenge 0/18
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 4th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    YorksLass
    A corner to corner works well with knitting. Basically cast on two increase one stitch at the beginning of every row till you get a triangle half the size of the square then you knit it a row for the centre after that knit 1 k2tog k it to the end of every row till you only have two left then k2 tog to finish. Make all your squares the same size till you have enough to make a blanket the size you want. I hope that makes sense.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    That's how I do mine; I have quite a few squares knitted that are now on the "waiting to be sewn up" pile plus a lot more oddments to make yet more squares.

Hi. Is it okay if I join you all?

I did get caught out last month however, my 2 and half year old Bosch washing machine died and I got it repaired- £50, the guy wasn't a hundred percent sure he'd fixed it and said if it went again it was the motor which would cost £160 in parts alone. 3 washes later and I had to buy a new machine the week before Christmas..oh well, I tried.
    Originally posted by sinkorswim2018
    Welcome to the thread and bad luck on the washing machine front.

Making do with existing food stocks for as long as I can this month - there's plenty to go at!

Yesterday I "mended" the bathroom sink that seemed to be taking an age to empty. I found a bottle of plug unblocker powder stuff in the cleaning box and there was just enough in it for one treatment. Sink now unblocked and empty bottle minimised to the recycling bin.

Will be taking down the decs/cards/tree tomorrow and am hoping I have some spare bulbs as the tree lights decided to conk out on NYD.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

2018 - Jan £53.34/£140 10/28 NSDs
    2017 - £144.10
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 4th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    If you have any M&S clothes in your donation Scarlet don't forget to ask Oxf*m for a M&S voucher.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    Thanks Thirzah, I'd forgotten about that
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 4th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 17,737 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Back on board!
    Hiya everyone and a very happy New Year to you all

Misstra - you are an absolute STAR for re starting this thread! It has seen me through so much over the past few years and must have saved me tons of cash. It has also been the source of much encouragement, understanding and great ideas! Thank you, and all my 'old' friends on here!

So what for 2018

1) go back to setting monthly goals for NSDs! So this month I ve been kind to myself and set a goal of 20/31.
    2) keeping on meal planning
    3) Minimising: challenging myself to get rid of 30 things a month

So far:
    MAKE DO: got a large salmon for £11 just after Christmas and froze it in fillets - so this evening's tea was salmon, rice and Thai peas (cant remember which chef it was that gave me the idea for these - Nigella??). So thai peas are: Cook sufficient ordinary frozen peas for 4 people and add 1/2 teaspoon of green thai curry paste and 4 teaspoons of sour cream or creme fresh. Using a stick blender or similar reduce to the consistency of mushy peas - v yum! And livens up peas no end!

MEND - while folding up the washing noticed that the hem of some trousers (£1 in a chazzer sale F&F) had come down and so sewed that up lickity split!Need to get to work on 'mending' my plants as they are all having babies - i.e.a massive repot for many of them is due!

MINIMISE - I have two large bags in my bedroom destined for a chazzer - they have some 30 items in them from December's declutter:
    1 set of necklace and earings which were a gift I didnt like
    4 posh tops I was hanging onto for years and have never worn bar once!
    5 tops that dont fit me
    1 pair of socks and 1 t-shirt to rags as they were too tatty to wear anymore - if I was honest
    5 books - read but no desire to keep
    1 duplicate diary - again a gift
    8 hangers (the clip sort - which I no longer want to use)
    4 hair ties/scrunchies
    11 random forks (still left with 2 sets of 4!)
    That was easy!!!
    Must go and finish current book which can then start the January pile of 30!
    Anyone else want to join in the challenge?
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 4th Jan 18, 11:33 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 17,190 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I’ll join again, please.

We’ve decided we want to move house this year, and a guesstimate shows we need about 5 times more money than currently in our savings account, so it’s time to tighten those belts!

Tonight I made carrots, potatoes and meatballs for dinner; the veggies were a bit sad (bought at least 2 weeks ago) and the ground meat was a day past it’s sell-by date. I made custard from longlife milk and custard powder.

While watching Death in Paradise I mended my woollen sweater, a legging, tights, a dress-up or fancy dress (bridesmaid dress from the bhs sale, which my dds use for formal and festive occasions, and for dressing up. The dresses hold up incredibly well and wash weel, too), and my new-to-me woollen cardi (the neck bit was leaving the body of the cardi).

About this woollen cardi: it was handed down to me by my Aunt (who is 86, and has my size and impeccable classic taste), and I love it, but it had a bit of a ‘poor and neglected’ feel to it. I bought a small wool shearer machine, and spent 90 minutes on Boxing Day shearing the cardi. My Mum told me not to bother, but I persevered and it looks really good now. It’s nice and light and waaaarrrmm.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 €59,57 = £ 52.13
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 5th Jan 18, 6:52 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 13,406 Thanks
    villagelife
    I'll join again this year and will try and post more often but just by reading the thread I make do, mend and minimise more. I am going to declutter 2018 items in 2018.

Minimizing so far this year includes cutlery, magazines and old clothes.

Mending - I've seen a button back on DS2 coat and have shortened 2 of the 4 pairs of trousers that DH wants shortened. Will do the others when he can be bothered to try them on so I can get the length right.

Make do- with food from stores. Also using up toothpaste samples that were in the cupboard and nobody has complained yet that the tubes are too small.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 17,190 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have mended a rip in dd1ks skirt, a rip in a legging, and 2 pairs of thick tights.

Eating down the freezer: I found and ate a few slices of Easter bread (from April 2017). It was still fine.
    Last night I made small sausage rolls from large frozen sausages cut in 3, wrapped in defrosted pie dough. Great success with our young guest and my dds.

I noticed we have a few bits and pieces of veg and 2 spoonfuls of pasta in the fridge and the pantry, so I will make a pint of soup tomorrow.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 €59,57 = £ 52.13
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 15,427 Posts
    • 129,620 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi I was given a huge Pandoro cake at Christmas and was wondering if I slice it up I could freeze some as its far too big for me to eat in one go it weighs 1lb 10ozs what do you think I would have to juggle my freezer around a bit to get he slices in
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • sinkorswim2018
    • By sinkorswim2018 6th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    sinkorswim2018
    Cooked a turkey on Friday and have been making lots of meals from it. turkey and salad at work yesterday and turkey and cheese omelette for my daughter. Today it was turkey Caesar salad for lunch and made a turkey pie for tea with cauliflower cheese using up a cauliflower left from boxing day and some cheese also left from Xmas. Enjoying cooking from scratch, forgot how easy it actually is.
    Now I'm going to mend a pair of woolly tights whilst watching Netflix, and see if I can fix the wind up torch I broke she putting the Xmas stuff away in the loft.
    Monthly spend so far:£429.53 (14.1.17). Budget for month £800
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 17,744 Thanks
    misstara
    Did some batch cooking today - got some YS mince so made bolognaise and also made quiche which used up the cream leftover from new years day. I've kept out some bolognaise out for Monday's tea and all the rest has gone in the freezer. Not really helping my plan to defrost the freezer however did use up some sweetcorn from the freezer so I guess that's a start.

Also got some YS smoked salmon today which will get used up for breakfast tomorrow, very much looking forward to that

Went to the gym today. Weighed myself on the fancy machine that does weight, bmi and body fat. Plan to weigh myself once a month to hopefully see some progress in minimising myself

Not much else to report, planned to take down the tree and decs today but only got as far as taking the boxes out so definitely a job that needs done tomorrow.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1141.10 (50.4% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £708.21 (11.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 1/60
    Emergency fund - £25/£1000. Car fund - £75/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 2/6. Groceries target £75.93/£150. NSD target 9/18.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 6th Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I spent 20 mins on Christmas eve sewing up the hem on a dress that I had not worn in a couple of years - due to the fact the hem unravelled - on Christmas day it was like a new dress (teamed with a scarf I got as a birthday pressie)... it was so successful I have sorted through the wardrobe and created a mending pile!! So in the next week or so I should have some revitalised clothing!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Mrs Smith 72
    • By Mrs Smith 72 7th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Mrs Smith 72
    Hi all
    Would love to join in �� I've just finished reading the 2017 thread & so happy to find the 2018 right at the start!
    I've been trying to minimise clutter in the house which is still a work in progress but also need to minimise the food stores! There's only 2 of us - myself & DH but you'd think I needed to feed a family of 5 if you looked in my cupboards & freezers !
    We're trying to build our savings as hoping for early retirement in next 5/6 years so I really need to knuckle down.

Love reading everyone's news & ideas, thank you in advance ��
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 7th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,257 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Thanks for this years thread misstra I'm in again this year. I went missing on last years thread due to problems where I am living escalated and my health got worse. But I'm back. I've had a no spend weekend.

Made do with food from freezer, I had a chickpea curry. I've got six left in the freezer to use up. Also UU some BBQ sauce at lunchtime as it was slightly out of date, still tasted ok. I've bagged up some clothes to take to the charity shop along with some books, DVDs and CDs. Recycled aload of magazines and burned some paperwork in incinerator.

Couldn't find my sewing kit today but tomorrow I've got to mend two pairs of leggings. They don't make them like they used to.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
    • Mrs Smith 72
    • By Mrs Smith 72 7th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Mrs Smith 72
    Well today I have mostly minimised -
    5 pairs of too large shorts have sold on eBay this afternoon
    Nearly finished off a 200gm ball of Aran yarn - knitting a baby cocoon for my friend's soon to be born baby- will have to use part of another ball to finish off the edging but at least it's reducing my yarn stash
    Off to bed now so I can get up in time to start on reducing me at the gym before work
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 8th Jan 18, 1:31 AM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 14,811 Thanks
    greentiger
    I'd like to join in too, please. I'll probably be an intermittent poster (otherwise I'll not get anything done!).

Make do: roast beef in gravy from freezer for dinner, also rhubarb frozen last spring sprinkled with some granola made last night using up all sorts of nuts and dried fruits

Mend: filled up a fountain pen with bottled ink

Minimise: 4 kitchen knives, 4 wooden spoons and 2 oven gloves taken to tip

It's a start.
    Stashbusting 2
    Reading Challenge 0/26
    Film Challenge 1/26Weight Loss 1 3/9
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter