Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 1st Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 7,505Posts
    • 16,193Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    TV recording boxes - recommendations please
    • 1st Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    TV recording boxes - recommendations please 1st Jan 18 at 3:27 PM
    My son is looking for a box to attach to his TV, so that he can record programmes. His TV has Freeview.

There are so many recording boxes available, and I don't want him to waste money. There are some cheaper ones (about £30ish) on Amazon, but most are around £100 more than that - the cheap ones seem only to record whilst you are watching the same channel, which defeats the object! He wants to be able to record whilst he is out at college or work.

So, I'm hoping that some friendly MSErs can help me, even though I don't venture onto this board often.

Thank you for any advice.

KFB xx
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 1st Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 41,560 Posts
    • 17,116 Thanks
    macman
    • 1st Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    Humax is the brand leader: the Freeview model he picks will depend on whether he wants on-demand services in addition to the basic recording functions: the former require an internet connection.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 1st Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8,715 Posts
    • 5,166 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    Having had two other brands in the past, I agree on Humax .We have two boxes, several years old, which still work with the bedroom tv.

The other two brands failed within three years and my sister's (not sure of brand, but it's not Humax) has also been outlasted by our current boxes.

One box is due to go with the main set now we've left Sky, but as either ITV or Panasonic (they blame each other) will soon not support ITV Hub, I may treat myself to the latest model Humax ,which records up to 4 programmes at once and has catchup. (It also comes in black, whereas for the last new one you only got black with the most expensive version , otherwise brown or white)

Have a look at Humax Direct where they sell discontinued or refurbed models with warranty and cheaper than retail.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 1st Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    We have left Sky and changed the Dish LNB to accept Freesat, then bought a Humax HDR-1100S. In your son's case, for 2-tuner options and Freeview, with a 320 GB hard drive, this is ideal:
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/hdr-1800t-320gb-5547ad.html

At £109 it's above your budget, but has Humax quality and 12 months' guarantee.

• Up to 70 Digital Channels
    • 12 in Stunning HD
    • BBC iPlayer
    • YouTube
    • Record 2 Chanels At The Same Time
    • Stream Photos, Music, Video Files
    • 1 Year Warranty
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• wongataa
    • By wongataa 1st Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    Get a Freeview Play or Humax Youview box.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 1st Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 16,193 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    Thanks everyone, Humax seems to be the way to go.

My son's maximim budget is around the £100-£120 mark, although we did look at the cheaper end of the market first, simply because he's still in college and like most teenagers, wants more than he can actually afford! (Now working part time as well, though, so he can save towards other things that he wants ).

I'll have a chat with him once I've emailed the links over.

Thank you again for taking the time to help out.

KFB xx
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 2nd Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    I've been using a secondhand BT Youview box I picked up for £30 on eBay for the last nine months.

It's done everything I require of it, and even has access to iPlayer and the other terrestrial catchup services plus Netflix and others.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 12th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    How do the Humax boxes work regarding internet connection? We have Virgin TV and would be cancelling that in order to use the Humax via Virgin internet. We've never had any issues with Virgin TV (except the cost) and were wondering if the TV will lag via the Humax? The connection is pretty good, about 20mbit I think...
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    The Humax box will either get its day to day signal (for recording) via a terrestrial aerial or a satellite dish, depending on the model.

The internet connection will be for the catch up services via the likes of BBC iplayer, ITV Hub, All4 etc.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 10,067 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Should have no trouble getting the free over the internet services . BBC IPlayer ,ITV Hub etc .
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 13th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    GaleSF63
    I've had a BT Youview box for just under 3 years. If it gave up now, I would replace it with the same. You can record 2 channels at a time, and watch a third (limited). No problems except the very occasional freeze which has always been solved by unplugging it for a few minutes. (£122 at the moment.)
    • Walcott
    • By Walcott 14th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Walcott
    Humax Direct have the YouView pvr refurbished for £139 or the 1800 freeview pvr refurbished for £109.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Jan 18, 11:58 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    phillw
    I had a BT youview box and a Talktalk youview box (at least one of them was made by humax) and they both died.

My mum had a humax branded recorder which died, they might be the market leader but the hardware is pretty unreliable.

Be careful if you do buy one cheap off ebay, there are a lot of youview boxes that don't have recording facility. They can pause live tv for a short time & it's easy to mistake that for being able to record programs.
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 15th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    So theres not an option for a replacement for the virgin box that will just use the internet? We need to watch live tv, but aerials pick up nothing where we are and we don't have a satellite dish either.
    just want a box that will do what the Virgin one does, but not for a rip off monthly contract
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 15th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    ukmike
    We have left Sky and changed the Dish LNB to accept Freesat
    No need to change the LNB,the sky one will work fine with freestat.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 15th Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Mister G
    No need to change the LNB,the sky one will work fine with freestat.
    Originally posted by ukmike
    Not if it's a new Sky Q LNB.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

2,414Users online

Martin's Twitter