Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,611Posts
    • 2,710Thanks
    LadyDee
    0 WOW
    Thin Rigid Board?
    • 1st Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Thin Rigid Board? 1st Jan 18 at 1:47 PM
    Can somebody come up with an idea for a piece of board 18"x42" - needs to be quite light so that I can easily move it around.

I want to cover it with felt to use as a jigsaw puzzle board for assembling a landscape jigsaw puzzle.

I've found something called binding board which seems to be the sort of rigidity I'll need but can't find the size. Also, anything I buy will need to come cut to size.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 1st Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 12,801 Posts
    • 40,533 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    Can somebody come up with an idea for a piece of board 18"x42" - needs to be quite light so that I can easily move it around.

I want to cover it with felt to use as a jigsaw puzzle board for assembling a landscape jigsaw puzzle.

I've found something called binding board which seems to be the sort of rigidity I'll need but can't find the size. Also, anything I buy will need to come cut to size.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Mdf from your local hardware shop could be ok?
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 1st Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    Hardboard would seem the obvious candidate - and you wouldn't need to cover it with felt (unless you wanted to) if you assemble the jigsaw on the smooth side. Readily available from all DIY shops, which will be able to cut to size for you/deliver. Lightweight, cheap and durable.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 1st Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 1st Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    Ply is the best bet, maybe 9mm or thicker depending on the amount of flex - but you know you can buy ready made puzzle keepers on the likes of Amazon (I know that's not very MSE).
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 1st Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    Binding board looks very similar to 1mm or 2mm thick Foamex board, which local signwriters will use. Correx board may be even cheaper.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    Ply is the best bet, maybe 9mm or thicker depending on the amount of flex - but you know you can buy ready made puzzle keepers on the likes of Amazon (I know that's not very MSE).
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Thanks. Yes, I do have a proper puzzle board but they only make rectangular boards at ridiculous prices.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    Mdf from your local hardware shop could be ok?
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    MDF is much too heavy.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    Thanks for your suggestions - my final choice will, I think, be governed by whether or not a supplier will cut to size.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 1st Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    locally the only place that cuts to size is B&Q (no charge for several cuts, not sure the limit). Others may do but not where I live.

They have a massive laser-aligned cutter. Give them mm dimensions if you can.

You sometimes (always) need to be carefully picking your ply to get a nice flat piece, and personally I prefer pieces that have a nice finish side.

After its cut watch for tiny splinters - it will need sanding on all 4 edges to make it nice to the hand.
    Last edited by Lorian; 01-01-2018 at 5:39 PM.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    LadyDee
    locally the only place that cuts to size is B&Q (no charge for several cuts, not sure the limit). Others may do but not where I live.

They have a massive laser-aligned cutter. Give them mm dimension not inches!
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Sadly, no B&Q anywhere close. There is a Wickes and a Homebase though so I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I think hardboard will be just right.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 2nd Jan 18, 6:16 AM
    • 12,801 Posts
    • 40,533 Thanks
    sarah1972
    MDF is much too heavy.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Thats what I use, not heavy at all in the small size that you need although I think ply would be a lot lighter.
    Last edited by sarah1972; 02-01-2018 at 7:22 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 4th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Signwriters will cut correx or foamex (although they can be cut carefully with several passes of a stanley knife) and they might even have a used sign they've taken down which you could have for a donation to the staff biscuit fund.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 15th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Just an update. I bought a piece of hardboard in Homebase - quite cheap and they have reinstated their cutting service.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,027Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter