Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 9,546Posts
    • 59,210Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 15
    • evuka
    • By evuka 12th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    evuka
    Hello Fab Ladies, may I join please?

While catching up with the thread, a few words about me:

• Thirtysomething and single here
    • My 2018 word is PROGRESS
    • 5ft 3 and 13.5 st!!! and totally unfit
    • Used to dress to work in a decent style but nowadays it's just "whatever fits the dress code and my body"

I used to have a sign on my wall: It's either me or the house - both of us can't good look all the time! But nowadays it's neither me nor the house and my surrounding defo affects my fabness.
    SwagBucks
    Make £10 a day challenge need to join again
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    GC: Jan 175.07/100
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018 £823.65/£8,965.88
    NSD: Jan 5/15 Feb 7/15
    • Butterfliesarepretty
    • By Butterfliesarepretty 12th Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    Butterfliesarepretty
    Sukeyboo, yes interview went ok, was 40 minutes long. The other lady was probing why I left my job in 2016 and basically she had figured out that it was stress as to why I went part time. Thats the thing though, every part time job or agency always asks "why do you want to do part time" Its as if they think I may have failed full time in some way. Some interviews Im honest and state i had an anxiety attack in the job that wasnt as advertised and it was a 3 person job. then I state also at that time we had moved house and paid our mortage off and so I dont really need to work full time anymore and that I enjoy it.

Nobody asks you "why do you want to work full time"???

The director was really nice though, they produce and print glass milk bottles, gin bottles etc and more, family firm, fairly small size and do haulage as well. My little car wouldnt survive the potholes in the car park so I had to park on the road and walk back. I have emailed the recruiter about feedback and she said she would call once she heard something.

I found another job at herbert parkinson just down the road, they have a contract with john lewis (produce soft furnishings) and so they want an accounts payable clerk part time, well I worked in accounts payable at BT for a long time so Ive applied for that and I also applied for a data entry clerk in accrington. So now Im getting really agitated as I want to get something really soon.

But have got a valentines meal on wednesday with my husband at a newly refurbished pub.

Just trying to keep busy and mind occupied. Got plants to plant out but the snow has stopped me. Waiting for the sunshine to melt the snow on soil a bit.
    Mx5 Owner
    Temp Worker

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Welcome Evuka

Butterflies try not to be too anxious about securing a new part time job, or your anxiety will be apparent when you are being interviewed. Good luck on getting a new job

Enjoy your Valentine's Day meal with your husband
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 14-02-2018 at 1:06 PM.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 13th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Welcome Evuka

What a good choice of word

Have a lovely Valentine's meal Butterflies - I think we are going to wait until the weekend and get one of the 'meal deals' that are on offer - have to see which one takes our fancy

Love the jumper Maman - the colour is gorgeous but I know what you mean about the bows
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 19,809 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hello all,

My fabbing today included buying a pair of fine cord trousers (skinny/jegging type cut) in a dusky pink colour (love cord trousers, my sister thinks I'm weird ) reduced from £14 to £3. Even better was that they fit properly & actually come up to my waist so no fear of builder's bum when bending/kneeling down with DS.

Also had a hot bubble bath using the Mr S Mandara Spa Bali bath cream (lovely smell) with a face mask on - ALONE, IN PEACE! My sister took DS for a few hours. I used my Neals yard wild rose beauty balm on my face afterwards as it's really moisturising & smells lovely. S&G body butter for the rest of me, so I smell delightful now. Was lovely having a few hours to just do what I wanted.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9807 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £49,180.78
    Loan £3055.47, CC 0% BT £770, Car loans £23,634

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Sashybo great buy on the fine cord trousers. You used the time very wisely on fabbing and pampering yourself while your sister was kindly looking after your son.

Although I have been taking it easy for a few days and looking after myself, I have been feeling so fatigued, that I have to push myself to get things around the home done. I have been getting more joint and muscle pains as well.

My eldest daughter has now got an infection, so she is feeling quite unwell again in Hospital. She is still losing weight as well, which is very worrying for me.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,690 Thanks
    chanie
    sashy well done on your bargain cords and your fabbing.

Sugar I hope you feel better soon. I hope you get some answers soon about your daughter.

To all fabbers - happy Valentine!!!8217;s Day go you all.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £197.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 17,561 Posts
    • 105,230 Thanks
    maman
    So sorry to hear about your daughter Sugarbaby . She's had such a hard time lately.

Lots of good fabbing going on. Really pleased you were able to have time for yourself sashy . How kind of your sister.

I know you like Hush clothes chanie . I noticed today that they have a range in John Lewis. The styles I particularly liked aren't online yet. There was a gorgeous green and white STRIPEY jumper. It was gorgeous but I really don't need another stripey top and at £69 I don't think I'd wear it enough. I also liked a black dress with a sort of handkerchief point hem. I think I'll go back and try that on.

I've ordered some cheap black suede knee length boots. When I went out last Friday I was sorry I only had brown boots. Hopefully I'll like them when they arrive.

It's been miserable and wet today but sun promises to shine tomorrow.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

It is far more worrying for my daughter and me to not have any answers about what the underlying causes are for this prolonged period of illness. She is impatient to be well enough to go home, but keeps on getting setbacks.

I am going to Birmingham to have a weekend with my sisters. I have to get my suitcase packed today. I have a list and will tick the items off as I pack them, as I do not want to leave anything at home that I need.

I hope you all have a fab Friday and great weekend
    • Rubyslippers77
    • By Rubyslippers77 15th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Rubyslippers77
    Hope everyone is enjoying a bit of sunshine today - feels like ages since we've had any here! Finally been able to take the DC out for a good walk and they are now napping on the sofa, hooray!

Thank you for the heads up about the Tu 25% off chanie, I needed some shoes and trousers for the boys but waited a few days and got 25% off I'm also a Fitflop fan maman and used a discount code + the sale to buy some boots (Ugg-ish style but shorter) and ballerinas. The boots are very comfy but a paler colour than I thought, so I haven't taken them out in the mud yet! We're down in your part of the world at the end of April, staying in the New Forest and probably visiting Peppa Pig World again, might need the boots still if it hasn't warmed up by then.

Interesting to hear about your job hunting Butterflies as where you are is my original neck of the woods! I hope you find something part time soon; I don't think it's particularly relevant or fair of interviewers to ask why you want to work part time, surely it's up to you how many hours you work?! Everyone has their own reasons for choosing the hours they do. I don't know if you've had a look at the Pr!mark make up range but they do a lot of stuff for pale skin/ neutral colours, and it's cheap too therefore not a disaster if you don't like it.

Sorry that you aren't at your best sugar, sending best wishes for you and your DD's recovery. I hope you have a lovely weekend away and enjoy meeting up with your sisters it was great to see that you're still busy with the creative writing too, very inspiring.

As for me, I haven't progressed very far with my key word 'confidence' yet in 2018; the flu really knocked me for six from NYE onwards, it's only in the last week or so that I've felt better. Now I'm not popping painkillers or needing to rest every hour, I've booked a haircut and bikini wax and am hoping to get my eyebrows threaded tomorrow - we have the health visitor coming first thing for the boys' 2 year check, and DS1 has a little lump on his neck that I'd like her to look at too, but will pop into town if I get chance. I need to colour my hair too before I have it cut. Maybe then I'll feel a bit more on the way to being fab.....?! I've lost about half a stone this year (but to be honest I think most of that was from feeling very ill and not eating!), may rejoin WW and go to meetings for motivation, as online only hasn't worked very well for me.

Another knock to my confidence came from my flaky friend - some of you may remember her from last year - over Christmas/ New Year 2016 we were supposed to meet up three times, but she cancelled every time! Once she said she was sick, another time was a family crisis, another she double booked herself. I left it a few months and we arranged a meet up for August, only for her to again tell me at the last minute that she'd double booked herself! I finally saw her in December as she was off work for an operation, and we arranged to meet up last weekend; she said she really wanted to take me out for lunch as a belated birthday celebration (my birthday was last April!!), she'd book somewhere nice, etc etc. It was all fine and we were emailing each other every few days with general chat, then early last week (a few days before we were due to go out) she went quiet. She didn't mention my birthday lunch again and I haven't heard from her since

On the bright side, I am now debt free!! (ish!) All the companies I owed money to accepted partial settlements, which will stay on my record for 6 years but at least no more payments need to be made. My student loan will be written off in a few years and then I will finally be done!
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Feb 18, 4:57 PM
    • 17,561 Posts
    • 105,230 Thanks
    maman
    Good to hear from you ruby. Great news about being debt free.

Perhaps you could just think of it as a delayed start to 2018. It's never too late to catch up. It's not your fault that you've been unwell but it sounds like you have a good plan now. I'd recommend joining a group for weightloss and if you can get your DH to look after his boys for a couple of hours it'll give you some time to yourself too.

I think I'd be giving up on that 'friend' of yours. Not sure what's the matter with her. I'd suggest you do nothing and see if you hear anything but don't get your hopes up.

Have a lovely weekend in Birmingham sugarbaby. Hope the sun shines on you.

I've been shopping AGAIN today. As I was in the area, I wanted to go to Home Bargains and popped into Matalan which is right next door. I'm pleased with my purchases though. I bought myself a padded coat. I said I wanted one when I got back from Poland as my long wool coat gets too heavy for a day's sightseeing. It was reduced to £25 and if I do the zip up fully it covers my ears.
    https://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2658667_c101/asymmetric-long-padded-coat-black

They had a lovely silver grey one too but although they're washable I didn't trust myself with such a light colour for a coat.

I also bought an orange hooded jumper. This was full price but I know I'll find it useful. When I go out to football, it's useful to have a hood to pull on if it's cold. I'd rather do that than wear a hat.

https://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2668670_c333/falmer-zip-through-hoodie-red

I think I should have a sort out of my wardrobe again as I'm going to end up with stuff that's never worn because I've forgotten all about it.

Fab Friday tomorrow. I'm out to lunch with friends and I'm thinking of wearing my new Red Herring jumper but I'll have to take the bows off the sleeves first.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Feb 18, 12:32 AM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 19,809 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all,

My sister has 4 kids so knows how tiring it can be, so she is very thoughtful & helps me out by taking DS for a few hours when she can. Her daughters are the twins that I have been looking after lately, I don't mind having them as they are at a good age (9) & dote on DS. My sister is very busy with work & college so I like to be able to help her out with childcare if I can as I know she would do the same for me.

Sugar I hope you enjoy your weekend with your sisters & that your daughter gets out of hospital soon, how frustrating for her to keep having setbacks, she must be climbing the walls wanting her own bed etc.

Nice to see you Ruby well done on being debt-free. Sorry to hear about your flaky friend, that's really not very nice behaviour is it? I agree with maman not to contact her & see if she bothers with you. It's not nice being the only one doing the running, it does make you feel unwanted & unappreciated.

Nice buys maman
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9807 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £49,180.78
    Loan £3055.47, CC 0% BT £770, Car loans £23,634

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Feb 18, 5:56 PM
    • 17,561 Posts
    • 105,230 Thanks
    maman
    It's been a beautiful day here, a pleasure to be out.

I decided to do my food shopping in Winchester as then I could fit in a trip to have my eyebrows waxed. Since my local beautician closed down ( new lease was astronomical) I've been using the brow bar at Benefit in Debenhams. They did brow mapping for me a few months back and since then I've grown my eyebrows a bit more curved and longer.

I also did some more shopping. Not too expensive though. I bought the same Red Herring jumper in a pale pinky/fawn so more bows to remove! I enjoyed wearing my burgundy one out for lunch yesterday. I know I'll wear it as jeans and a smart jumper is a good look for smart casual. My other buy was another hoodie. It's dark grey and fleecy lined and at just £5 in Primark it won't break the bank. My new black, suede boots arrived about an hour ago but I haven't tried them on yet.

I do hope everyone's had a good day. It's great when the sun shines, real promise of spring.
    • Butterfliesarepretty
    • By Butterfliesarepretty 17th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    Butterfliesarepretty
    Hi all,

Having a better few days. Overhauled my cv completely and took two month long jobs out of it and explained the gap as a career break. This I can put in my cover letter. Still not heard from any roles I applied for, but have uploaded my new cv to the jobsites so the next time I apply should make a difference.

Other than that I had a nice afternoon with my romanian neighbours at their house and a few drinkies. Got a surprise refund from the council for council tax overpaid £216 so that will last me another two weeks. I think I may have to sign on next week even though we could manage on my husbands wage.

Next week having my long hair highlighted blonde so my husband is covering the cost of that for me and so should improve my confidence in interviews. Will get my eyebrows done too, they need a tidy.

Bought two new wall lights for the lounge, the old ones are from the 80s and past it. And bought two £4.99 pendant shades for the newly decorated stairs.

As for your flaky friend Rubyslippers77 I would never contact her again, shes wasting your time and upsetting you.
    Mx5 Owner
    Temp Worker

• chanie
    • By chanie 18th Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,690 Thanks
    chanie
    butterflies good luck with your ongoing job search. Im sure something will come up for you soon.

Maman I remember the debenhams in Winchester! I hope you are enjoying your recent purchases.
    Spend less - £197.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    • misstara
    • By misstara 18th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 18,232 Thanks
    misstara
    Recent fabbing purchases are another pair of jeans (had £10 left in vouchers to go towards them), a lovely pair of turquoise pumps, an eyebrow kit (trying out the rimmel one) and 2 nail polishes (also rimmel). The kit and nail polishes were bought with B00ts points . One nail polish is bronze and the other a top coat. They claim to last up to 14 days if used together, not entirely convinced by this but so far looking good after 2 days so may treat myself to a few different colours.

I've decided to get my eyebrows threaded tomorrow after work, I can't mind the last time I got them done so definitely much needed. I was planning to try out my new eyebrow kit tomorrow but think I'll wait until after they're done.

Outfit for tomorrow is a grey and black tartan dress with black tights and boots. I've picked out a colourful necklace to go with it.

Had a lovely mostly very relaxing weekend. Used a mango gift set that I got for Christmas earlier - scrub, shower gel and body lotion. Also comes with a body spray that I'll use tomorrow. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1068.81 (53.6% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £670.24 (16% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 2/60
    Emergency fund - £55/£1000. Car fund - £100/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - 7/12. Groceries target £153.73/£150. NSD target 11/18.
    • maman
    • By maman 18th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 17,561 Posts
    • 105,230 Thanks
    maman
    Sounds like you're doing well Tara . Hope you're pleased with the eyebrow kit.

I think Boots points are great. While I won't pay over the odds for toiletries I can buy cheaper elsewhere, for branded products (especially expensive cosmetics) it's almost always best value to get them in Boots. The exceptions are when Debenhams have a promotion which John Lewis usually match.

I tried on all my new purchases today and they're all keepers. I was planning to sort out some clothes for the CS to make room but got DH to sort out some of his stuff instead.

So I have more wardrobe space but still to sort through my own stuff.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 19th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,690 Thanks
    chanie

I tried on all my new purchases today and they're all keepers. I was planning to sort out some clothes for the CS to make room but got DH to sort out some of his stuff instead.
    Originally posted by maman

That's a good result, on both counts.
    Spend less - £197.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 19th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I had a really great time with my 4 sisters in Birmingham. My sister M was able to come to Birmingham after all.

I had the most fun filled, enjoyable weekend. We all caught up on each others news and the 5 of us and one of my niece's, my older son and one of my nephew's all met at a local social club for a night out and had so much fun together.

As I am now on benefits, I struggled to pay for anything over the whole weekend as my sister H and sister M kept on insisting on paying for things for me. I took £100 with me and I managed to come home with £91.70 as I was only allowed to buy my sister M and my sister H one drink each on our night out.

I danced my legs off at the social club and I am still paying for it with pains in both legs, but it was really worth it

We will next be all together in Birmingham for my sister H's 60th Birthday Celebration at the end of April and we are all really looking forward to it
    • evuka
    • By evuka 19th Feb 18, 12:45 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    evuka
    Sugarbaby, it sounds like you had a great weekend! I have two sisters myself so I know how good it is to come together and catch up, chat and laugh from our bellies!

Maman, I had the same thought when you said about the bows on the jumper but checking on the site, actually I quite like them! On the model though the arms are rather long, covering her hands - is it the same in real life?

Butterfliesarepretty, good luck for your job search and interviews! Highlights are great, such a moodlifter and confidence booster

Last week I bought a coat in a CS for £4.50 - fairly thick though only a thin lining, not padded, but it has a hoodie which I was longing for! I can't use it if it is freezing cold but recently the weather is mild here.

I usually go to get my eyebrows done a few times in a year only and I pluck it for myself based on the shape the beautician does. Last week I helped someone with interpreting so it was a kick in the a$$ to do some hair removal and eyebrow shaping and it actually turned out to be great!

My goal for this week is to take a 30 mins walk each day and 2x30mins at least three days.
    SwagBucks
    Make £10 a day challenge need to join again
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    GC: Jan 175.07/100
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018 £823.65/£8,965.88
    NSD: Jan 5/15 Feb 7/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

422Posts Today

6,099Users online

Martin's Twitter