Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 24,822Posts
    • 52,626Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018 1st Jan 18 at 11:00 AM
    Welcome to 2018 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 3 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 and 2017 threads, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! Last year 55 of the 60 books I read fully for pleasure were over 300 pages long, 5 were what I would describe as lightweight, perhaps 35% fiction and the rest factual. Many books I started remain unfinished, and I have some cracking fiction on my shelf which deserves my attention this year!

Recently, I!!!8217;ve found myself having to justify my likeness for books and my ever-expanding collection (people seem to think that shifting over 1,000 of them might have put me off the literary cause somewhat). In simple terms, if you need to remind others of what reading brings, here!!!8217;s a neat explanation: This is How Reading Benefits Your Health.

Happy reading in 2018, and remember:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 5
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 8th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    I!!!8217;ve just finished The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarity. It!!!8217;s set in Sydney and feels like a good book to read when on holiday. An enjoyable read. 7.5/10. I preferred Big Little Lies by the same author which was made into a mini series on Sky (which ruined it in my opinion).
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I preferred Big Little Lies by the same author which was made into a mini series on Sky (which ruined it in my opinion).
    Originally posted by blackcatsx2
    I really loved that show, I hadn't read the book so I couldn't compare.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 9/60
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 24,822 Posts
    • 52,626 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 4:

7/10. This was a quick read, which I found shocking yet entertaining, and admire the author's fighting spirit and family values if not her morals. There was so much in it I disagreed with, but it was a brilliant illustration of how limited choices are if you are born into a life of deprivation. If you ever need convincing of your blessings, this is the book that will do it.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 23,450 Posts
    • 60,992 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Keeping Faith - an old Jodie Piquot

Usual dilemma and courtroom battle, quite engaging, though, but not the standard of her more recent books.

Ironically, there!!!8217;s a BBC serial of the same name starting tomorrow. It was originally shown in Welsh with the title One Wednesday Morning. No idea why the change of title to the main character's name.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

3. 30 Lessons for Living - Karl Pillemer, a self-help book.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I'm going to read this book this week. It will be the 9th one.
    Books Read 9/60
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 12th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Finished the silo series, which I liked, but felt like a slog. Then read Web by John Wyndham (daft) and then Watership Down which I've never read but loved SO much. I desperately wanted to and didn't want to finish it. Husband is reading it now, for the best or I'd flip to the start and read again.

Managed to hunt down The World In Winter by John Christopher after being recommended the author here, so I'm tossing up whether to read that or Shardik next.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 12th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Finished the silo series, which I liked, but felt like a slog. Then read Web by John Wyndham (daft) and then Watership Down which I've never read but loved SO much. I desperately wanted to and didn't want to finish it. Husband is reading it now, for the best or I'd flip to the start and read again.

Managed to hunt down The World In Winter by John Christopher after being recommended the author here, so I'm tossing up whether to read that or Shardik next.
    Originally posted by timehastoldme
    Watership Down is great.

John Christopher's the Death of Grass is one of my favourite books. It came back into print about 6 years ago and I know many people (like me) who took the chance to re-read it.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 12th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Did a quick search and it did not pick up one author that I have found fascinating lately- I was even given the books so cost me nowt!

C.J Sansom- the Shardlake series. They are all detective type novels set in Henry V111's Tudor England. thick books, packed with historical detail and hard to put down. Shardlake is a humpback lawyer.

If you are interested start with 'Dissolution' as the series builds up using the same characters- and progresses through the reign of the increasingly autocratic Henry.
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    I loved the Shardlake series! Sadly, I think the author is quite poorly and it'll be a while (if ever) before he writes another book.
    Originally posted by Hobsons Choice
    Radio 4 did a play version last year of all four of the books and they were really good. I have just checked and you can no longer listen to them online from the BBC website, but you can buy them:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/audiobook/shardlake-dark-fire-bbc-radio-4-full-cast-dramatisation/id1143656422

From Ł6.99 - Ł5.95 for each one.

Not cheap, but there were very good.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I've just finished Heartstone by Sansom which was excellent. I was given all these so outlay zilch!
    I shall keep my eyes open for the last in the series in charity shops and the like.
    As I have at least 2 shopping bags full to the brim (unread!) there is no rush... at all....and I have been promised the loan of his book about Britain under German rule (forget what it's called.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 24,822 Posts
    • 52,626 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I heard the most amazing interview on the radio earlier this morning, about a stalked family. The chap who went through it turned his experiences into a book; I'm not one for thrillers but this has been P'Inned as it looks worth reading:

Part of the reason I was impressed was because he was so articulate (English isn't his first language yet he spoke so well). The interview was with Jo Fidgeon on BBC Outlook, worth listening to.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 14-02-2018 at 9:35 AM.

• black cat
    • By black cat 14th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 5,942 Thanks
    black cat
    Read:
    Wild Designs - Katie Fforde (re-read)
    Singing - Keith and Kristyn Getty
    The Art of Hygge: How to Bring Danish Cosiness Into Your Life -Elias Larsen and Jonny Jackson

Now re-reading: Wild Designs by Katie Fforde

Need to find something meatier...
    • Syman
    • By Syman 18th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 6,032 Thanks
    Syman
    Just finished this

Not too bad a thriller, first of a series.

Next is

The Gary Oldman film is based on this book i think.

Also have acquired this

Another book that i will be dipping in and out of.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 8/48
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 19th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The 4 Pillar Plan: How to Relax, Eat, Move and Sleep Your Way to a Longer, Healthier Life - Rangan Chatterjee.

I'm going to read this now, it will be my 10th book of the year.
    Books Read 9/60
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 19th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 4,464 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Went to the library today to pick up two new books, I will try to get two from the library each month and read two from my own stash...

The Knot - Mark Watson
    Read it a couple of years ago and thought that it needs to be read twice to be fully appreaciated. Was more than right, enjoyed it far more this time.

Up in the clouds, Gentlemen please - Sir John Mills (Autobiography)

Read it three years ago, actually only wanted to flicker through and see what he writes about his sister (Annette Mills of Muffin the Mule fame, whom I really admire) but ended up reading the whole books as it was good fun and well written. Still enjoy it this time around, but flicker through some pages every now and then.

Plus read a German short stories book which I didn't enjoyed at all. It was quite praised but I thought most stories lacked a point, they went up to some sort of a climax that never came...

Things I want to read soon:
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer /Annie Barrows. Always in for a book set during WWII
    Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine - Gayle Honeyman
    Herman Banks and the Ghost Writer - Cecilia Ahern. I've read most of her books, enjoyed most of them but there are also a few which I didn't liked (for example gave up on Hundred Names after 1/4 of the book), so quite curious how this one is
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,057Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter