Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 1st Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    • 775Posts
    • 1,087Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Parents seperatibg on bad terms who has the right to stay in the family home.
    • 1st Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    Parents seperatibg on bad terms who has the right to stay in the family home. 1st Jan 18 at 7:09 AM
    Morning guys,

After a bit of advice for my sister. Long story short she found out her partner was having an affair, upon telling him the relationship was over he took a knife locked himself in the bathroom. He didn't do anything. He drinks a lot and is quiet emotionally unstable. He moved out after she asked him to a week ago but is not saying he will be moving back in Tuesday. They have a mortgage on the house 50/50. They have two children 1 & 4. Downs she have any rights to stop him moving back in until she has time to rent somewhere and move out?

Also I read the pinned posts and there were outdated links to websites with money advice etc. Does anyone have a link to an updated version of this.

Thanks for any advice.
    Hannah
    Deposit £13308 £20,000 66%
    emergency fund:£0/£1000
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £15
    Noodle: me: 614 DP:576 Clear: 499 DP: 414 mse:970/58%
    Family loan £7000/£6375
Page 3
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    Comms69
    Men are more likely to be perpetrators of abuse when the victim is male too.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I'm not sure that's true. But happy to be corrected - is there source material?
    • borkid
    • By borkid 6th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    borkid
    True, if it's not included in the stats - im not sure - I suspect it's still a small percentage.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I would suspect the opposite. If there was a over 16 year old female in a family ( not the mother) I would think it highly likely that a male who abuses his partner(mother) would also abuse the daughter. I've no figures but from people I've met, families where the mother is abused the rest of the family also suffers some form of abuse.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    Comms69
    I would suspect the opposite. If there was a over 16 year old female in a family ( not the mother) I would think it highly likely that a male who abuses his partner(mother) would also abuse the daughter. I've no figures but from people I've met, families where the mother is abused the rest of the family also suffers some form of abuse.
    Originally posted by borkid
    I see what you mean. Im not sure if the statistics exist for that.

It's unclear if the statistic I found includes family member, it simply says women over the age of 16.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm not sure that's true. But happy to be corrected - is there source material?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Google it if you're actually interested, its true and very easy to find.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    Comms69
    Google it if you're actually interested, its true and very easy to find.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

The reason I say I struggle with that is this:

40% of victims are men.
    2% of men are gay.

doesn't really add up to the main statistics.

I'm happy to read a link or a document, but without being funny, im not going to google it and pick out the same article you are talking about in the thousands of results.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 9,855 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Hopefully by now your sister has got some professional legal advice as that would be my suggestion. Unfortunately they have to be homeless to be given council accommodation but she should go down to the housing office and lay it on the line they cannot stay with your mum as if the council think there is alternative accommodation on offer they will not help her.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

8,223Users online

Martin's Twitter