Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Which travel option would you choose?

Aberdeen to Edinburgh to London Stansted

12.50% • 1 votes

Aberdeen to London City

50.00% • 4 votes

Something else

37.50% • 3 votes

You may not vote on this poll

8 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 31st Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 655Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    0 WOW
    Travelling to a wedding
    • 31st Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Travelling to a wedding 31st Dec 17 at 8:01 PM
    I live in Aberdeen and I've been invited to a wedding in Essex. I'm trying to work out the best way to travel there and would like to know which option MSE travellers would use.

The closest airport to the wedding venue is London Stansted. However, you cannot fly direct from Aberdeen to London Stansted, I would have to fly from Dundee or Edinburgh. I've discounted the Dundee option because of the only return flight on a Sunday is 19:00 meaning I won't get back home until after 10pm and will have to kill a lot of time between checking out and going to the airport.

Another option is to fly Aberdeen to Norwich but I've also discounted that due to the return flight times.

The final option is to fly Aberdeen to London City Airport.

I think regardless of whether I fly to London Stansted or London City I will need to hire a car because the venue is a castle/stately home type place in a small village and when I looked at public transport options it was going to take at least 2 hours with 3+ changes. I haven't found accommodation closer than 5 miles to the venue yet either. The venue does have its own accommodation but not enough for everyone so it has been reserved for family which is fair enough.

Easyjet flights from Edinburgh to London Stansted will be circa £82 + £53.50 for the train to Edinburgh + £8.50 for the tram out to the airport. I suppose I could drive down but by the time I've paid for diesel and parking the train and tram will probably be cheaper.

British Airways flights to London City will be circa £140 and I need to factor in either getting taxis to the airport (anything from £30 to £40+ depending on the weird and wonderful route the driver takes) or driving myself out to the airpot and paying for parking £45 (cheapest I could find).

I'm veering towards the London City option because the Edinburgh option is starting to feel a bit planes, trains and automobiles, and will require some annual leave.

What would you do?
Page 2
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 4th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 10,667 Thanks
    jackieblack
    The venue is in a village near the Essex/Suffolk border. I don't want to say exactly where just in case I can be identified.
    Originally posted by Lover of Lycra
    I live in a village near the Essex/Suffolk border,.
    It's a fairly long border, but if you let me know where the venue is (PM me if you prefer) and if it's in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to suggest/recommend options, based on local knowledge

I haven't voted in your poll because my answer will depend on where the venue is!
    Last edited by jackieblack; 04-01-2018 at 7:40 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • susancs
    • By susancs 5th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 3,682 Thanks
    susancs
    Have you considered Aberdeen to Luton as checked random date in March for Easyjet of Friday 16 and returning Monday 19 Mar and it is £51 return pp (Sunday is £40 more). 90 minute apporx car journey if you hire a car and pick up at the airport and drive to Essex/Suffolk border area.

As you say the nearest Travelodge to the wedding is 9 miles away, it is probably Haverhill and using the above random dates (currently TL have a Friday and Sunday night offer where you get 50% off stays until March using the code TRAVEL50 at checkout) a a double or family room on Friday and Sunday would be £17.50 per night, with the Saturday more. Probably about 20 mins in a cab to the venue from there.

Just giving you some other options.
    Last edited by susancs; 05-01-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 6th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Have you considered Aberdeen to Luton as checked random date in March for Easyjet of Friday 16 and returning Monday 19 Mar and it is £51 return pp (Sunday is £40 more). 90 minute apporx car journey if you hire a car and pick up at the airport and drive to Essex/Suffolk border area.

As you say the nearest Travelodge to the wedding is 9 miles away, it is probably Haverhill and using the above random dates (currently TL have a Friday and Sunday night offer where you get 50% off stays until March using the code TRAVEL50 at checkout) a a double or family room on Friday and Sunday would be £17.50 per night, with the Saturday more. Probably about 20 mins in a cab to the venue from there.

Just giving you some other options.
    Originally posted by susancs
    No I hadn't considered Luton as an option so thank for throwing that one out there.
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 6th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    After pm'ing jackieblack it looks as though Stansted is the best airport and the cheapest/easiest way to get there is train to Dundee, Dundee to Stansted, Stansted to Edinburgh, Tram to Edinburgh Haymarket, Edinburgh Haymarket to Aberdeen. A bit like Tickety Split but with planes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

319Posts Today

3,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin