Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,365Posts
    • 45,602Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE’ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 2
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 49,466 Posts
    • 185,980 Thanks
    beanielou
    As you say is it really worth all the hassle for 9 quid a week.
    I know 9 quid is 9 quid but you could direct the energy used on that elsewhere.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 3rd Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    For once I followed my plan fairly well. All except change Mums bed because I went to B & M for her.
    At school one of the Mums returned £20 to me as an overpayment from Brownies. She gave it to me after school so I didn’t get it before I did the food shopping.
    I had also cashed in my Euros because I decided I wanted to use cash and not the bank balance as it is low.
    I re-checked the credit card and found the balance transfer had finally reached its destination. I promptly cancelled the DD and telephoned the bank to stop it going out tomorrow. So the £100 showing as pending will now not transfer. I have upped the DD of the remaining card accordingly.
    I spend £30.37 in Aldi, £2.49 on a dustpan and brush in B & M, and naughty for DGD I bought her a McD £6.08 as she had an ice cream too.
    I took down the Christmas tree, but it was too heavy for me to get it back in the attic. Hopefully BF will help tomorrow. I put him off from coming today as I knew I was going to be all over the place. I collected the laptop from Biggests so this evening I could do the HMRC and accounts.
    After collecting Dgd at 3.15 Biggest messaged me that DS and his little family were at hers, so Dgd and I went straight there. (That’s why she got a McD!) I ate leftovers.
    So lots of little things ticked off the list. But I am tired now, and didn’t get the vaccuming done. I will have to do that in the morning.
    Back to the shop tomorrow.
    Saturday girl has given her notice (not surprised).
    Looks like it’s going to be all change again soon then.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 3rd Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 37,963 Posts
    • 34,396 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Saturday girl has given her notice (not surprised).
    Looks like it’s going to be all change again soon then.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    I know I bang on about this at fairly regular intervals, but it's crucial when you're employing staff that you have clear contracts and ways of doing things. So they know what you're paying, what hours they work, and how much leave they get. If there's flexibility, you set out what notice each party will give the other - but you don't have to be terribly flexible.

And it sounds as if you also need a formal way of booking holiday - we have to complete a form and get it signed by our manager, but before I complete the form I put it in my diary and email the colleagues I work most closely with. That gives them a chance to say "did you realise I'm off then too?"

But until my manager has signed that form, my leave has not been booked. And generally, I'm required to give two weeks' notice.

You may not need a form, but I think you do need a record of some kind: staff asked for these days off, I said yes / no. And you need that for biggest as well as for non-family staff!!!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I know I bang on about this at fairly regular intervals, but it's crucial when you're employing staff that you have clear contracts and ways of doing things. So they know what you're paying, what hours they work, and how much leave they get. If there's flexibility, you set out what notice each party will give the other - but you don't have to be terribly flexible.

And it sounds as if you also need a formal way of booking holiday - we have to complete a form and get it signed by our manager, but before I complete the form I put it in my diary and email the colleagues I work most closely with. That gives them a chance to say "did you realise I'm off then too?"

But until my manager has signed that form, my leave has not been booked. And generally, I'm required to give two weeks' notice.

You may not need a form, but I think you do need a record of some kind: staff asked for these days off, I said yes / no. And you need that for biggest as well as for non-family staff!!!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I do have a contract I gave out in the beginning. I do have a planner etc on the wall, and ask for a months notice. It just isn’t being adhered too!
    Biggest is Self Employed, as she has several clients and a small business of her own. We negotiated her hours a month at a time, with the obvious flexible hours needed for her children school Holiday or sick.

I will have a new contract drawn up for any future staff.
    I will be looking forward to becoming more of a boss and less of a friend!, it’s just been difficult for me to transfer from being a cottage industry to a business woman!

I have a lot of changes to make in my self as well as my business!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well the first day back was steady. We were working on the paperwork, trying to iron out a few anomalies. I managed to see the accountant, and he is going to file my accounts tomorrow.
    I will need to contact the Council tomorrow to ask for an extension to their date as he said it will be a week before he can produce a letter for them once HMRC give him a reply.

I am going to look at a different account system as I have had too many problems with the package I have. He is happy for me to do a basic accounts book. As I like pen and paper it may be better for me to do that.
    Or at least that or a basic spreadsheet.
    Wondering if I can adapt one of the Excel ones I have used for the household budget. I shall have a chat with Biggest as she was trying to get to grips with it for me this morning.

We had two collections from last year, and 5 jobs in today.
    I only managed to sew three jobs as I was concentrating on other things.
    Tomorrow I have a days worth of sewing there, but I currently don’t have enough for Monday when Seamstress returns, unless I hold back on the Sewing and work on television reorganising the Shop, etc to be fair I must get the Christmas window cleaned and a new window done.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Another NSD!
    Biggest had to bring DGD2 with her today as she was unwell. So I took in sandwich etc for her too, so we still stayed out of the shop.
    I didn’t start to Sew until around 11.
    I had one pair of curtains to shorten, and then a child’s tie to make, and belt loops to add to some trousers. I was holding back work so Seamstress can have something to do on Monday.
    At 3pm I started to make some tote bags from a piece of fabric that was donated to us this morning. Then I spent two hours contacting people about the Sewing lessons etc to try and get more attendants this year.
    I decided to close my Santander account s. They only had a few £ in each and I used it to pay off the credit card transactions that had slipped through from holiday.
    I then wrote to the bank to cancel them all.
    I will probably change my Co-op account too. But I need to contact The Social Services to change details for the Guardians allowance first.
    I don’t think I really need different accounts anymore, I will try to keep a spreadsheet about what is what instead.
    We found the anomaly in the accounts. When we closed last years accounts we had a huge bill from the Sewing Patterns on the books, but the credit note didn’t arrive until the start of the new financial year after the Patterns had been returned.
    I forgot to call the Council, so my claim will be suspended now. I will call on Monday. Make an appointment to see them if necessary.
    I don’t think that I will claim anymore. It’s too much hassle. I will aim to do some decluttering selling to try and cover it instead.
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 6th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 5,094 Posts
    • 25,108 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    I don’t think that I will claim anymore. It’s too much hassle. I will aim to do some decluttering selling to try and cover it instead.
    A good way to get on with the selling Mooloo is to actually schedule time for it in your diary, otherwise it is one of those jobs that never happens.
    So when you sit down and plan you coming week, ring fence 2 hours in a morning or afternoon to get some stuff advertised. I would suggest you set yourself small targets of 3 items photographed and listed.If this proves sucessful, schedule time to do another 3 every week.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    A good way to get on with the selling Mooloo is to actually schedule time for it in your diary, otherwise it is one of those jobs that never happens.
    So when you sit down and plan you coming week, ring fence 2 hours in a morning or afternoon to get some stuff advertised. I would suggest you set yourself small targets of 3 items photographed and listed.If this proves sucessful, schedule time to do another 3 every week.
    Originally posted by Brighton belle
    Sounds like a plan!

We had a great day at work today. Lots of jobs in, Sewing classes booked, Roman blinds to make, and other random makes. I feel happy that we have enough work for the Seamstress on Monday and Tuesday.
    I have cut out, and nearly finished 16 bags, made from the fabric donated yesterday. I will do the handles on Monday.

We are at BFs tonight but his daughter and the baby have moved in, we seem to be baby sitting as she’s gone to work. ( she is stopping at work tonight, but don’t know what will happen in the long run
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 49,466 Posts
    • 185,980 Thanks
    beanielou
    Would you mind popping up a picture of the bags?
    Thanks.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will have to reserect an old account for photos to be able to do that, will look into it when I finish the bags.
    I am just making quick bags to use instead of carrier bags. With a recycled by Mooloo on them.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 49,466 Posts
    • 185,980 Thanks
    beanielou
    Would buy one

• ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 7th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    I am a long time lurker on your thread Mooloo, I'm happy to read that you're busy and sounding really positive.
    Hope the year ahead is good.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 7th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 7,504 Posts
    • 10,664 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I am a long time lurker on your thread Mooloo, I'm happy to read that you're busy and sounding really positive.
    Hope the year ahead is good.
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    Ditto
    Would buy one
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Me too!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Afternoon!
    Well we have just come home. BFs is a little over crowded. His daughter and granddaughter moved in with him while he was here at mine on Friday. We were only able to stay last night because she stayed at work. But tonight that would be a problem. He was going shopping at 2pm and I didn’t really fancy going food shopping for his house, when I am trying not to spend anything my end.
    I supplied him with the dinner and cooked it last night, as he didn’t have much in. Which means I have just been for a rummage in my freezer for things for us Tonight. I hadn’t Menu planned to be here. It looks like I will need to really look at the menu planner now, as I will obviously have to eat here at the weekend again.
    I spent a few hours going through the shops 2017 diary, transferring information and writing out lessons for the coming year.
    Now I am home I will need to draw up a sheet for them to be able to hand out, and email out when requested.
    I am determined that the opportunity to teach this year and to use the workshop better happens!
    I have two birthdays coming up in the next week ish. DS and BF.
    I have Zero in the budget for gifts. So I am going to have to come up with a makes of some sort.
    Am wondering if DS would wear a waistcoat at work perhaps?
    My thoughts while driving home was a Record Holder, for BF as I bought him records at Christmas.
    As there is no money in the pot, I think I need to design a box, perhaps with a carry handle and magnetic clasp to close it.
    I must have fabric either here at home or in the Shop suitable.
    So that’s my addition to the todo list.

Dgd has brought her PlayStation down stairs and is running updates, as she needed the Internet. I am having a cup of tea, with my feet up, but then I will have a little sort out up in my spare room and see what I can find in the fabric pile.

I might just have some suitable for what I want here at home.
    I am going to be as positive as I can be. At least the sun is shining even though it is cold out there. Sun always helps with my mood.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    While rummaging in the spare room I found a waistcoat I had started ages ago, so I have finished it except for buttons and button holes. I will take it to work tomorrow and look for buttons. Although that is not suitable for DS as it’s very bright etc But I could put it up for sale when it’s done.
    I found denim off cuts for jeans, and I also found some blue fabric with cows on. So I have mentally designed a box bag out of the jeans, and will line parts of it with the cows. It is now cut out, and partly sewn together. However I need some stiffener or cardboard to give it some rigidity in the base and sides I think. Again I will take it to work tomorrow and see what I can find.
    The sides have the back pockets of the jeans as a feature, and I will use the waistband as the carry handle.

For now it’s time to cook the dinner, and this evening maybe get those courses on a news letter.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 7th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    vandanfc
    While rummaging in the spare room I found a waistcoat I had started ages ago, so I have finished it except for buttons and button holes. I will take it to work tomorrow and look for buttons. Although that is not suitable for DS as it’s very bright etc But I could put it up for sale when it’s done.
    I found denim off cuts for jeans, and I also found some blue fabric with cows on. So I have mentally designed a box bag out of the jeans, and will line parts of it with the cows. It is now cut out, and partly sewn together. However I need some stiffener or cardboard to give it some rigidity in the base and sides I think. Again I will take it to work tomorrow and see what I can find.
    The sides have the back pockets of the jeans as a feature, and I will use the waistband as the carry handle.

For now it’s time to cook the dinner, and this evening maybe get those courses on a news letter.
    Great progress Mooloo, sounds like you have found some of your mojo.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Great progress Mooloo, sounds like you have found some of your mojo.
    Originally posted by vandanfc
    I am trying to add creative sessions into my day, so that I can still be inspired.
    Work is coming in steadily so far. I had a lot of fittings this morning and it was nearly lunchtime before I actually got Sewing. Although I did manage to finish one bag in between fittings. Then I had two cushion covers to make for a customer. I didn’t get to do the personal Sewing and or get to practice on the machine I wanted to do. So I am hoping that tomorrow I will set up the machine as soon as I arrive and set a timer for an hour and try to get to grips with it.

Biggest is going to photograph my makes and put them on Instagram I think.

I managed another no Spends day.
    It’s still a struggle to not spend on anything but the bills.
    I am going to find it hard to keep the Food spending within budget as I seem to have spent nearly 1/3 already.
    I am very tired this evening I didn’t sleep well last night so I am going to bed when Dgd goes tonight.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 8th Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 19,175 Thanks
    JIL
    Mooloo I hope you don't mind me saying, but you have loaned your son a fair bit of money and it doesn't look like he will be repaying you anytime soon.

Maybe you tell him you have deducted his birthday money from what he owes you? And keep doing that until you have repaid yourself.

Just a thought.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    • 49,466 Posts
    • 185,980 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good idea JIL.

• Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jan 18, 7:19 AM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 45,602 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I rarely spend much on presents for my family, it is usually a token gift. I would be paying his debts off for the rest of his life, or mine.
    I have a note of what he owes ( certainly the big stuff). If he ever turns his life around I will ask for it.)
    I am letting them all know that I am struggling at the moment.
    Although that will probably be truer for the next few months as I adjust to stopping my housing claim etc. Obviously £8.95 a week will add up. But producing their forms that don’t allow for certain expenses, every detail questioned, every bank account scrutinised. I think I am happy to let it go.
    One step closer to self sufficiency.

I am not sure if I will have the right fabric to make DS a waistcoat that he can wear to work, and I only have today to do it, because I am expecting to see him tomorrow. His birthday is Thursday.

I went to bed around 8.30 and spent 30 minutes or so on my Portuguese app. Then to sleep. Only up twice in the night which is good for me.
    Here is to a more productive day. I better get moving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

3,709Users online

Martin's Twitter