Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Natty68
    • By Natty68 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,451Posts
    • 35,266Thanks
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018 31st Dec 17 at 5:47 PM

May I wish each and everyone of you, regulars, oldies, newbies, returners and lurkers a very Happy 2018 may it be filled with happiness and not too much dust.

This week will see a LOT of newcomers which happens every year, sadly many of these ladies and gents do not stay long. This influx usually means the thread is very very busy, please do not lose heart if you cannot keep up with everyone else or reading the thread, don't try to reply to everyone and please remember to include something about flying in your posts, chat is for the weekend when your home is looking beautiful!!! Things will settle again in a couple of weeks so don't worry it will return to normal and we will hopefully have some new fledglings.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

There are 3 levels per day deepening on how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer![/color]

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondayday - New Year's Day
    Just some bits and pieces for those in the mood, if not have the day off ready to start tomorrow. Remember to spend sometime with family/friends if you like that sort of thing.

Hoover out smoke alarms and test
    Put up those calenders for the new year
    Update calendar/diary with all those important dates
    Delete some emails/favourites
    Back up photos from phone/laptop etc, enjoy looking over some
    Put away any glasses used last night
    Hoover any areas in dire need
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Sort out that drawer/cupboard/shelf which has been on your list forever.

No Laundry !!!8211; you don!!!8217;t want to wash away any good luck.

Write a list of 5 things you do that make you happy and 5 that make you sad. Ponder on how to do more of the first list and less of the latter.

Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room

Level One
    S&S Kitchen
    Empty out bins
    Wipe/scrub sink
    Level Two
    Straighten up cushions/covers/displaced toys etc..
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Find homes for new appliances/books that you may have received for Christmas
    Level Three
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
    Clear anything that shouldn't be where it is..maybe the Christmas tree if don!!!8217;t want to wait till 12th night
    Look for the good in others and notice their strengths..

Extra Mission Tasks - as usual if you fancy tackling something else you could try one or more of these
    • Check the useby dates on stuff in fridge, double check your fruit bowl !!!8211; do you need to get rid of anything furry or a funny colour?
    • Wipe the bits next to the steps on the stairs, yours might be skirting board, edging of some sort, grab a cloth and give it a wipe

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen, air the bed if possible
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Do three extra acts of kindess fpr other people.

Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check the airing cupboard, anything that is way past it's use by (maybe recycle for rags if possible, you could donate old sheets oor towels to a local animal rescue for bedding)
    • Clean tops of wardrobes and drawers (if safe to do so, no pregnant flyladies on ladders please delegate the job instead)
    • Check through undies drawers, anything more holy than the church which needs to go/be repaired? Anyone need anything replacing?
    • Give everyone at home a bag to collect the things which belong to them that are not where they should be, give them 15 minutes to find them all and put them away You could threaten to bin whatever is left if they don't seeing as everyones being quite ruthless this week
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    Level One...
    The most important task first.. make time for yourself.. a haircut, manicure, or just a relaxing bath in peace!
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two...
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Level Three..
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    • Wash stinky pet beds/houses
    • Dust all the light fittings
    • Chase appointments/put off call and emails/catch up with a friend you have been putting off
    • Check when appointments are due for dentist, opticians, smears etc.. Make notes in diaries/calendars

Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Level One
    Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Level Two...
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Level Three...
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Empty and wash out bins
    • Sort through that pile of hotspots!
    • Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    • Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
    • Get those christmas 'Thank you's' sent out!
    Last edited by Natty68; 04-01-2018 at 9:17 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 9
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 4th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 9,541 Posts
    • 120,842 Thanks

A nice quite day at work! after being so busy it was lovely.

Dinner done
    Daily stuff done
    Rubbish to go out in recycling bins
    Cat cuddled
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -16 so far and counting!!
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 4th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 8,393 Thanks
    Does decluttering £2.5K count as Flying?
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Wow - that is a serious amount of money

I've just WUDUPA whilst concocting a pasta dish for myself. That's the first time I've done anything like that for years - concocting that is, not WUDUPA. I usually grab something ready made from the freezer, heat it up and eat it, but, today, I boiled pasta and made a 'sauce' using a tin of tomatoes and a tin of sliced mushrooms - which I liberally coated in pepper. It wasn't great but it was edible. I need to learn portion size when cooking pasta and my 'sauce' was too wet: I've had to change my top as I didn't think to wear a tea towel as a bib . But I had a go - and next time it'll be better (and there'll be less pasta!)

So that's the paid stuff and the dailies done. And Day 3 of healthier eating: tick. Also today I brought in the bin and recycling boxes, cancelled my hair appointment tomorrow and rescheduled it in 5 weeks hair has just grow to a length I like so I didn't want to pay to have barely anything taken off the ends , and took my dad his birthday card and present - he's 83 years young today

Have a good evening.
    • froddington
    • By froddington 4th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 6,618 Posts
    • 93,509 Thanks
    Evening! So today was the first day when everyone else went back to work at the school and I didn't! Went into town but felt as though I was being naughty and should have been at work! Guess it will take some getting used to. I was spending some of the money I was given as a leaving gift - bought some lovely earrings.

Ionafan - gently hugs; hope you are not in too much pain x

LW - I'm sure it does but I might give it a miss for a while! x

Sorted through several piles of papers this afternoon whilst watching The Birds which has been on my 'box' for more than a year!

Any recommendations for where to try and sell some of my education books? I rarely look at them and don't have the space now I don't have a classroom to keep them in!
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2018 £100
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 36,541 Posts
    • 470,742 Thanks
    Ah.. figured out why the 2 notebooks I oredered weren't in my Boots order.. they are in my M&S order... Doh!!! Silly me!!

Tomorrow I have £70 to pay to council, and I MUST organise my budget.. as well as go to B00ts, bank, post office, Squeak is at a party and I have her friend all afternoon.. bizzzyyyyyyyyy
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    23/02/2018 £54281.28 (5.15% int.)
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 4th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 20,466 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    How does freedom feel Frodders? Hope you've enjoyed the day xxx

That must've been a large gift voucher LW! What did you get for your pennies - something nice I hope?

Packed DH off to the quacks today as he's not getting any better and has now developed abdominal pain. As he has ulcerative colitis (happily mainly in remission), tummy pain can be a serious sign of problems. However, the doctor identified a blockage and has prescribed meds to help clear things without upsetting his stomach/intestines. He's off work until after the weekend though. Looking forward to him being under my feet all weekend...

I have transformed the master bedroom - it's clean(ish), tidy and spacious, smells fresh and has newly hoovered carpet stripes, so pleased with that.

The boys have been warned that it's their room tomorrow
    • MinnieMousesMummy
    • By MinnieMousesMummy 4th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    Going to update my list and then chill in front of the tv before bed.

Monday - New Year's Day

Wipe/scrub sink
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
    Check the useby dates on stuff in fridge, double check your fruit bowl – do you need to get rid of anything furry or a funny colour?

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Put all the ironing away that was done over the past few days.
    Check through undies drawers, anything more holy than the church which needs to go/be repaired? Anyone need anything replacing?

Work out finances for DH for January/February (work in progress)
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    Dust all the light fittings
    £10 challenge 2017: Jan £387.76, Feb £82.21, March £254.10, April£0, May £674.30
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 4th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 36,541 Posts
    • 470,742 Thanks
    ah yes.. budgetting... knew I was supposed to be doing something other than nothing at all.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 4th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 13,087 Posts
    • 115,124 Thanks
    Hello. Me the not so productive one again
    3.5lb gained in a fortnight so i must declutter that back off
    OH went home early with man flu
    I was at work until 8 but of course hour out to do SW in between
    More productive day at work but we!!!8217;re behind on a few jobs because of parts supply
    Dishwashers been on and is now shouting
    Washing machine been on and will shout soon
    Will use some on rail some in drier
    Will put another washer load in on a quicky before bed
    Will probably ask youngest to empty dishwasher
    2 bags of crap binned
    Meals on wheels made ready for in the morning and a breakfast thing for me put in the fridge going to try to eat earlier and get DW washer and drier on again
    Bought more fresh bits from shop, boys are home until next week and going through a lot of the quicker stuff like cheese wraps bacon etc my budget is not going to last but I guess at least I!!!8217;ll know where we are and of course I hadn!!!8217;t budgeted for another to feed
    Really should have stayed up this morning I!!!8217;m absolutely shattered now & have been since I woke back up
    Last edited by lil_me; 04-01-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC March : £48.30 / £400
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 16
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 4th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 36,541 Posts
    • 470,742 Thanks
    my budget leaves £6 free a month!! .. this is going to be fun.

38 minutes to add up my out-goings.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 4th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder, pigpen. I still need to sort the budget (but not tonight).
    Jojo - that sound like the school where I work. We urgently need more bums on seats, too.

Positives: Christmas tree dismantled (and decorations put away in their box on the same day for the first time since forever ), LR put back in order and hovered, bag of bits and DS1's old bedlinen (for the kennels) dropped off at charity shop, car refuelled, coffee prices checked in Costco, new socks and undies for DS2 (and feet measured - they've finally grown), WM x2 and usual dailies.

On the down side, nothing else completed from the list, couldn't meet up with my friend tonight and I'm back at work tomorrow, so it will only get more challenging to get things done.

Monday - New Year's Day
    Schedule time with DS2 and his calendar
    Hoover any areas in dire need - on DS1's list for tomorrow
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Wipe/scrub sink
    double check your fruit bowl
    HH tidy
    27 fling boogie time
    Bath - in the morning
    HHC in DS2's room
    Vacuum- DS1 tomorrow
    Binbag Dance
    phone dentist
    phone car place
    take little cat to vet's (she has a croaky voice)
    Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Empty and wash out bins
    Last edited by MrsChaos; 04-01-2018 at 10:37 PM.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 4th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 21,955 Thanks
    Finished and emailed a report.
    Emptied MIL's kitchen into boxes as she is having new units, floor and decorating done next week (hence we've left her to stay with BIL out of the way).
    Went to Mr T.
    Started another report.
    Still logging all food on mfp but it is hard to keep under what I'm meant to; have got into very bad habits. Rain and wind put me off going for a run for the 2nd day (wimp) but I am booked into Body Attack tomorrow.
    House gradually getting a bit tidier although needs a good dust and de-web. Think I'll take a leaf out of Ionafan's book and wait until the decorations come down. And talking of whom, hope the bruising isn't too painful.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Jan 18, 12:01 AM
    • 5,324 Posts
    • 54,972 Thanks
    Evening all

Hope the bruises not too painful Iona

£2.5 K - do tell LW - seems a lot on the weekly shop

Dailies done
    Spanish done
    LR hoovered, sofas and tables done, mats beaten and shook
    Ironing gathered together to do tomorrow
    One hotspot sorted
    Recycling sorted and boxed
    Dying flowers out, vase washed and plants watered
    Kitchen WUDUPA and bin emptied and washed out

Dispatched DH to Al*i to buy one of their soup makers. I was toying with a new blender as mine starting to groan. Having given it some thought I don't use it for much except blending soup. Looking at prices it seemed more sensible to go for a sm at this price, as it should make the whole job quicker and easier. I'll let you know once I've made a batch. BTW can use just as a blender or ice crusher as well.

Hugs, sticks and spoons all round as needed
    Hope you all have a fantastic Friday
    Bulk buy.......MAR=159.75
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 5th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 35,407 Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your concern. The bruises are enormous but thankfully not painful - I have well padded hips but do bruise very easily.

I have completed my short assignment after an enormous surge of effort. I have no idea whether it will meet the required standard or not, but it's done - and submitted before the deadline.

Off to bed now. See you all tomorrow x
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    13/03/2018: 11 st 1 lb
    • Princess Money Penny
    • By Princess Money Penny 5th Jan 18, 12:40 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Princess Money Penny
    Evening ladies

Well fell off the wagon somewhat today. Mainly due to a trip to a rather large Swedish furniture shop to buy storage for kids toys. Took hours! Upside was I sorted through the downstairs toys but everything else got abandoned.

I also joined sw and got a bit of a shock as haven't weighed myself since baby #1 came do a good three years! I've got about 4.5 stone to loose to get back to pre-baby

At least I've got everything I need to get it done!
    Sealed pot challenge 2018 #016 = £24.35.75
    £1 a day challenge 2018 = £18/£365
    Jan 2018 Grocery Challenge = £48.72/£260
    Declutter one item a day 2018 70/365
    • katto
    • By katto 5th Jan 18, 1:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Shattered so a quiet one for me:
    Got daily tasks done
    Sorted calendar for next few months,
    Made parents evening appts.
    Got rid of a bin bag full of clutter from the spare room.
    Tried going to bed a bit later to avoid middle of night waking - hasn’t worked!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 5th Jan 18, 2:04 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 12,427 Thanks
    Hi everyone
    Can I join in please, since Xmas I seem to be in a cba mood, which isn't like me at all so some routine is needed and anyway there is some Decluttering to be done and hopefully you will all keep me in the straight and narrow!!!!
    I will start tomorrow (when I get up) as the bathroom was my first choice of room to be done.
    Mortgage free and debt free but only income is state pension so need to be frugal
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 5th Jan 18, 5:01 AM
    • 13,087 Posts
    • 115,124 Thanks
    Welcome nannyg

Well it!!!8217;s that time of day again when someone or something wakes me
    This time canine idiots, I!!!8217;m furious, OH still not well and just had a grump at me because I broke wind, well sorryyyyy not! Funny when he does it
    Anyway youngest dog going to get her backside kicked she!!!8217;s winding up the others, ate the chocolates I!!!8217;ve saved for months and more. Going to go back to crating her if she can!!!8217;t behave on a nighttime when I don!!!8217;t really have space for them but she!!!8217;s unbelievable at the moment. She was created when We were away and kicked up a stink every night but at least I knew she wasn!!!8217;t causing trouble!
    Anyway they!!!8217;ve all been told off now, cleaned up the mess she made and as I can!!!8217;t stay awake going back to bed!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC March : £48.30 / £400
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 16
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 5th Jan 18, 6:57 AM
    • 9,541 Posts
    • 120,842 Thanks

Lunch for work made
    Cat fed
    Kitchen done
    Lounge sorted a heap of c**p out and binned most of it
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -16 so far and counting!!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Jan 18, 7:33 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    Good morning.
    I'm subscribing if you don't mind me joining you?

My main aim of 2018 is to declutter the house in preparation for a potential house move either later in 2018 or in 2019.

The biggest barrier to my decluttering is hubby - he's a hoarder (a this maybe useful hoarder) and doesn't tidy up after himself ever.
    The second biggest barrier to my minimalist lifestyle is Small - known on mse as Pickle, 18months old and the toys have exploded over the Christmas period despite the fact hubby and I were restrained on our purchases.

Today's to do list involves:
    Emptying Pickle's wardrobe in preparation for his new one arriving on Tuesday
    Filling the new landing bookcase with books currently squirrelled around the house. (Will declutter them at the same time)

I use a bullet journal so am more likely to record progress there than on here, but I will jot down some updates periodically.

The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 16/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £413/£2,500
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 5th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 19,350 Thanks
    Morning All,

Utterly sh!te day yesterday. Work in the morning was fab, then had to collect kiddies and drive a 90 minute round trip to pick some parts up for DH. Then, just as we had got home and I was settling down, had a very upsetting message to do with an issue I very vaguely posted about last year. Very very distressing, calls to solicitor etc - horrid and I haven't slept. If I never saw certain people again it would be too soon. Would happily live in a small bubble just me, DH and kiddies.

Sorry feel free to ignore. Just feel sick with anxiety. I will, however, channel that into flying today. Kids still off though they go back on Monday x
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.3.18 - £105,600
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,298Users online

Martin's Twitter