Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,425Posts
    • 34,927Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018 31st Dec 17 at 5:47 PM
    FIRST FULL THREAD OF 2018

May I wish each and everyone of you, regulars, oldies, newbies, returners and lurkers a very Happy 2018 may it be filled with happiness and not too much dust.

This week will see a LOT of newcomers which happens every year, sadly many of these ladies and gents do not stay long. This influx usually means the thread is very very busy, please do not lose heart if you cannot keep up with everyone else or reading the thread, don't try to reply to everyone and please remember to include something about flying in your posts, chat is for the weekend when your home is looking beautiful!!! Things will settle again in a couple of weeks so don't worry it will return to normal and we will hopefully have some new fledglings.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

There are 3 levels per day deepening on how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer![/color]

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondayday - New Year's Day
    Just some bits and pieces for those in the mood, if not have the day off ready to start tomorrow. Remember to spend sometime with family/friends if you like that sort of thing.

Hoover out smoke alarms and test
    Put up those calenders for the new year
    Update calendar/diary with all those important dates
    Delete some emails/favourites
    Back up photos from phone/laptop etc, enjoy looking over some
    Put away any glasses used last night
    Hoover any areas in dire need
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Sort out that drawer/cupboard/shelf which has been on your list forever.

No Laundry – you don’t want to wash away any good luck.

Write a list of 5 things you do that make you happy and 5 that make you sad. Ponder on how to do more of the first list and less of the latter.

Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room

Level One
    S&S Kitchen
    Empty out bins
    Wipe/scrub sink
    Level Two
    Straighten up cushions/covers/displaced toys etc..
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Find homes for new appliances/books that you may have received for Christmas
    Level Three
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
    Clear anything that shouldn't be where it is..maybe the Christmas tree if don’t want to wait till 12th night
    Look for the good in others and notice their strengths..

Extra Mission Tasks - as usual if you fancy tackling something else you could try one or more of these
    • Check the useby dates on stuff in fridge, double check your fruit bowl – do you need to get rid of anything furry or a funny colour?
    • Wipe the bits next to the steps on the stairs, yours might be skirting board, edging of some sort, grab a cloth and give it a wipe

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen, air the bed if possible
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Do three extra acts of kindess fpr other people.

Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check the airing cupboard, anything that is way past it's use by (maybe recycle for rags if possible, you could donate old sheets oor towels to a local animal rescue for bedding)
    • Clean tops of wardrobes and drawers (if safe to do so, no pregnant flyladies on ladders please delegate the job instead)
    • Check through undies drawers, anything more holy than the church which needs to go/be repaired? Anyone need anything replacing?
    • Give everyone at home a bag to collect the things which belong to them that are not where they should be, give them 15 minutes to find them all and put them away You could threaten to bin whatever is left if they don't seeing as everyones being quite ruthless this week
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    Level One...
    The most important task first.. make time for yourself.. a haircut, manicure, or just a relaxing bath in peace!
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two...
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Level Three..
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    Extras
    • Wash stinky pet beds/houses
    • Dust all the light fittings
    • Chase appointments/put off call and emails/catch up with a friend you have been putting off
    • Check when appointments are due for dentist, opticians, smears etc.. Make notes in diaries/calendars

Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Level One
    Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Level Two...
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Level Three...
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Empty and wash out bins
    Extras
    • Sort through that pile of hotspots!
    • Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    • Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
    • Get those christmas 'Thank you's' sent out!
    Last edited by Natty68; 04-01-2018 at 9:17 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 14
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 20,248 Posts
    • 230,129 Thanks
    Valli
    Right time to haul myself out of bed. Today, as forecast, it’s sunny so I am planning on pegging the bedding (sheets) on the line in the hope that they’ll lighten, at least. I washed and tumbled the towels. Hutch needs cleaning, DW needs emptying and I have work stuff to get on with. Along with a trip to Mr A later.
    Shower first.
    I will be adding the clalkenges to the thread as post 2, later.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • MinnieMousesMummy
    • By MinnieMousesMummy 7th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 13,311 Thanks
    MinnieMousesMummy
    Good morning everyone, Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Hugs to those who want/need them.

I never got around to posting yesterday between dealing with Mr T delivery, paid stuff, laundry and taking down all the festive decorations and cards. I will post my list and then make a start.

Sunday

Let the chickens out and feed animals -DONE
    Quick shower - DONE
    Paid stuff - DONE
    Email holidays to clients (booked a last min holiday for next month) - DONE
    Cobweb dust in the sitting room and dust surfaces - DONE
    Quick hoover around downstairs - DONE
    Put away piles of ironed clothes - DONE
    Clear desk and dust, get it ready to start in office again tomorrow - DONE
    Sort school clothes and bags for tomorrow - DONE
    Look into filing cabinets (2018 is looking busy so I will need to get organised) - DONE, Got a couple of cabinets in mind but going to shop around before buying
    Print off and read paperwork that is needed for the phone call tomorrow - DONE
    3 loads of laundry - DONE
    Look into storage for DS2's room - DONE, Got a few options in mind but going to discuss with dh before buying
    HHI
    Print relevant paperwork and update accounts
    Close the chickens away and feed animals - DONE
    Sort out ds2's room as he had toys scattered from one end to the other, making it impossible to get into the room - Work In Progress
    Update diary for next week - DONE

I think that is everything that I need to get done today. Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
    Last edited by MinnieMousesMummy; 07-01-2018 at 9:22 PM.
    £10 challenge 2017: Jan £387.76, Feb £82.21, March £254.10, April£0, May £674.30
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 48,943 Thanks
    Jazee
    DH got up and popped into work so I did some tidying and hoovered and swept through the house. Sinks are bleached. Rubbish is out and WUDUPA done. I hate drying up too Valli.

Now need to get washed and dressed and walk the dogs.
    Savings 2018: £1.44 Savings 2017: £13449.71
    Flylady Slinkie Wannabee: Start weight (1/1/18) 12st 2lbs - Current weight 12st 0lbs

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 7th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 36,262 Posts
    • 467,428 Thanks
    pigpen
    I feel awful today.. I had meat for dinner last night so my poor tummy is beside itself with distress.. the loo is going to be my best friend today sadly. I need to go to Lidl so hopefully it will calm down soon. The last nappy is on stinky's behind, we need milk, bread and cheese as usual.

Sorted chip repair for the car windscreen.. we were attacked my gravel on the motorway.

Not heard from DS1 yet.. I think DD2 is still with him though.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 17,529 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

DS got up at 5.30 and I shuffled him back into bed, no way was I getting up then! Thankfully he slept then until 7. So far:

- WUDUPA
    - unloaded DW
    - emptied & cleaned out fridge
    - rubbish & recycling out
    - dog walked

DH will take the outside lights down shortly. Kiddies bickering, back to school tomorrow for them. My tummy is also playing up Piggers. I'm glad your DS is ok, what a worry for you xx

My anxiety seems to have calmed a tiny bit, I've managed to eat some Greek yogurt.

As it's the last day of the school hols it's ok for the kids to stay in pjs right?
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 22.12.17 - £115,000
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    Goal - overpay £10k by 31.3.18 - so far £182/£10,000
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 20,248 Posts
    • 230,129 Thanks
    Valli
    ah, was going to ask how he was.

washing on line. Cage put round bay tree to stop it being eaten; spotted newly-dug tunnel under fence so have covered with mesh panel. Bunny has run of garden; he won't if he keeps digging; he'll have to be confined to his run.
    Also spotted lots of cat poo so will poo pick front and back and litter pick on front too after I have cleaned out hutch. (Litter is because it was windy on recycling day).
    DD has been asked to wait on at a christening today so I have thawed the YS beef to knock up a casserole later. Too late to use SC.
    £5342.65
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 7th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 7,290 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Hmm the contents of these bags are very random, but I guess it adds to the fun and I am enjoying taking a bag at a time and dealing with the contents (and gaining kitchen floor space )

Bag 2 today contained: a Beano joke book - wiped and DS to decide whether he's going to keep it (in his room) or it can go to CS; a box containing 4 energy saving light bulbs - bulbs put in relevant drawer and box recycled; 4 pie/quiche(?) dishes, 2 of which look unused - washed & dried, had a think, decided 3 to CS, 1 to fling as it's scratched (I don't make pastry and I don't think they're deep enough for pasta bakes, I used to make SW corned beef quiche, but I don't eat meat any more - they can go: if I find I need one I'll buy one - it's unlikely); and the spare grill pan that came with the cooker - I think the grill pan in use is like new as I always line it with kitchen foil before use. I'll check. If so, what do I do with a spare? Fling? CS? Why would anyone want a spare grill pan? ....

.... just checked: current grill pan is lined with foil, and under the foil it's like new .

CS. they can fling it if they don't want it. And breathe...

Next bag.

Rxx

ETA Bag of text books dusted and placed for DS to decide whether to keep/ fling/sell? Any keeps will find a home in bedroom 3 which will (eventually) become a study-type room. Several empty carrier bags wiped, folded and placed in 'bag' bag. Had enough now.
    Last edited by roundtuit; 07-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Slinky Challenge 2018 target - lose 56 lbs
    Start Date: 02.01.18. Lost 7/56
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 7th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 13,069 Posts
    • 114,895 Thanks
    lil_me
    Pigpen - let your oldest know even people who has never met are worrried. Hope he picks up soon. My oldest got a 4 hours a week job & was basically bullied out of it hit him hard so I know it’s not nice what he’s going through

Totally forgot to post last night. Did washer and dishwasher but not much else at home apart from putting away what we brought back from the caravan as we went down to strip it out. This of course means food supply increased but not massively, my washing machine work load has increased A LOT as we stripped every bed. Moved sheds as we lost the doors off the old one in a storm last year so The replacement (from my old garden) now has my washer and freezer in been meaning to get it sorted all year. Sheds reorganised. Freezer and fridge there cleared. Bowls of cat litter out for the damp. Shattered but it’s done

Today we’ve picked a mission each. Mine is the kitchen and OH is The under stairs cupboard which is massive and was ‘dumped in’ when we moved as we have agreed it is best to tackle where to put things first than shuffle boxes around. We’ve not emptied it out fully since we moved. OH and Ds1 did part of the front last year, the things huge but they gave up so this time he’s vowed to reach the end. I’ve also got some work meals to come up with, healthier and easier as I have end of year accounts to do for work this week and next by away Thursday - Sunday so need fettled

Will try to remember to update later

Oh and .... slinkies..... I’ll join the 4 stone team as an interim target. I started at over 22 stone and I’m just under 20 now
    Last edited by lil_me; 07-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £234.56 / £300
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 5lb
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 20,248 Posts
    • 230,129 Thanks
    Valli
    well, rabbit hutch cleaned out and airing; sawdust and straw dropped in the bottom of the green bin so have now scraped leftovers in there too.
    Poo picked. Most of it was frozen solid, also litter picked from front into same bag. That's gone in the bin, as has the vacuum cleaner contents - much easier to do outside in the daylight. Washing blowing, so looks promising.
    £5342.65
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 7th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 36,262 Posts
    • 467,428 Thanks
    pigpen
    tree de-baubled
    DS1 is still alive.. he has DD2 there so he isn't alone. His manager from work has called to make sure he is ok.. I told him to drink, non-alcohol.. he said he is just sick but I told him to drink it anyway.. I have to go to shop still once my tum stops being hysterical so I will try to fit in going there too.

Girls to feed..

OH found his driving licence.. he tidied his corner of doom so I waited until it waas nearly done and suggested he looked in his best jacket pocket.. and there it was.. .. just a little bit of thought was all it took, as usual!

Another £20 in my paypal .. so a third parcel I need to get ready to post!!

OH sorted his college bag for tomorrow .. once the girls are fed he can shower them and they will be ready for school, I will sort uniforms once they are in bed.

right.. food...
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 7th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 39,355 Thanks
    Mumof2
    I love the idea of the H2H challenge but my huge problem is that J is a serial hoarder and he really can't get rid of stuff .... as most of the stuff around here is his what on earth do I do about that? He has magazines going back donkeys years and 18 years worth of National Trust books and I'm not allowed anywhere near them ..... he gets really twitchy and distressed if I though only of 'his stuff' which takes up the whole house. Would appreciate any advice!

Washed up all the dishes yesterday and vacuumed downstairs .... haven't done that voluntarily for ages so Flylady is helping me! Also bagged up some stuff for CS and some other bits for fabric recycling collection this week so that's a bit more out of the house isn't it.

Pigpen glad to hear everyone is looking after DS; such a worry isn't it. Hope your tummy isn't too bad after the meat.

ATB glad to hear anxiety dropping a bit hun. And I'd say yes, absolutely fine for kids to have a PJ day!
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 20,248 Posts
    • 230,129 Thanks
    Valli
    On some of the hoarders programmes (TLC channel) they use therapists as the hoarding tends to be symptomatic of other issues.
    One that I recall was a lady whose family had been military so stuff was dumped (including burned) before moving; even stuff she had wanted so when she was older she could not throw anything. Therapy discovered the reason for her hoarding then started to address it; her children had been totally unaware of her childhood toys being thrown like that.
    I suppose it's like alcoholism or even OCD; and needs therapy to establish the reason then deal with it. First thing would be him agreeing it's actually a problem. Not easy.

Have bitten the bullet am shifting stuff out of the freezer that isn't going to be eaten anytime soon, a couple of packs of YS kippers which have been in there over a year and I am making apple pie with the apples and pastry, if the pastry isn't grim. While I abhor the waste it is equally wasteful for me to pay to store food I won't eat and it will make room to store the results of batch cooking. The kippers have been removed from the pack and put in the green bin, so they will go to compost not landfill.
    £5342.65
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 7th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 39,355 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Thanks Valli - he's been told he needs help but won't accept it so until he makes that breakthrough there's nothing we can do really is there ... maybe if I do little bits around the house it will incentivise him to get rid of stuff. Who knows?
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 7th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 36,455 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Keep us posted Pigpen - thinking of you all.

I have a bit of cold and stupid cough. Done paperwork for DH, pulled microwave out and thoroughly cleaned in and around it, been to the shop for a couple of essentials, two loads of washing out, DS2 collected. Going to cook some chicken for sandwiches tomorrow and I havent made our bed yet.

It seems that DHs plan (after getting up at 11am) is to sit on the sofa swearing at the football on the telly all day. Not sure why he watches it if it irritates his so much but I am keeping out of the way. His idea of an enjoyable Sunday is not the same as mine. Must make sure the dog gets a walk.

Oh and I have made the boys sandwiches which I know I shouldnt have done (them both being capable of doing it themselves) but either I make them some proper food or they will go hungry (DS2) or eat yet more frozen pizza (DS1).

I think I am slightly irritable today.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 7th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 36,455 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    [QUOTE=Mumof2;73676793]I love the idea of the H2H challenge but my huge problem is that J is a serial hoarder and he really can't get rid of stuff .... as most of the stuff around here is his what on earth do I do about that? He has magazines going back donkeys years and 18 years worth of National Trust books and I'm not allowed anywhere near them ..... he gets really twitchy and distressed if I though only of 'his stuff' which takes up the whole house. Would appreciate any advice! [QUOTE]

This is where Kon Mari fails a bit I think because her recommendation is that if you sort out your stuff the rest of the family will follow. Doesnt work in my experience! Some years ago DH had a load of magazines that he didnt want to part with and I suggested that he condensed them into one box which we could store in a cupboard. I later pointed out to him that the box had not been touched for about 2 years and he did get rid of them at that point. I dont really have an answer but it must make life hard.

Random news from here. I have just found a piece of chocolate gateaux in the back of the fridge. It must be at least two weeks old and looks perfectly edible (although it has gone in the bin).
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Jan 18, 2:04 PM
    • 4,740 Posts
    • 47,773 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I will happily wash up all day - I LOATHE the drying part.
    Originally posted by Valli
    Ditto. Air-drying is fine here, and then I don't mind the putting away bit at all.

Mumof2, there is nothing easy and quick I can think of that will make a hoarder give up their precious stuff because having it makes them feel safer, and being made to let it go causes them huge anxiety. He may, or may not, come to terms with his hoarding tendencies. All you can do is manage the children's and your own stuff and make it very clear that the kitchen and bathroom are for everyone's use, not for storage of his stuff.

In time, once he's accepted that rule I'd extend that rule to the other common areas but that could be years away - I know from a previous post of yours some time ago that your OH stores some of his stuff in your son's bedroom which has been an issue for your son. (((Hugs)))

Roundtuit, a bag a day seems quite enough to me. That kind of thing is about making decisions and after about 20 minutes that gets harder (Dusty Kitten said so). Tomorrow's soon enough for the next one. I'm back to working my way through the same kind of thing in my office as you are with your bags - tackle one small bag/area at a time and just keep nibbling away at it. A bit like how to eat an elephant - one bite at a time.

I managed to clear the Christmas surface chaos in my RoD yesterday and bring the CS stuff downstairs ready to go to Tavistock on Tuesday. There's stuff in there kindly neighbours would be upset to see in the local CS so it has to be donated further afield. And I tackled the Froggie issue of my mother's mobile, ready to use for a PiP claim company. Neither of the two local organisations we bought the car and carpets through have records that go back far enough to see if we had any PiP so I've got to use a company. I'm certainly not giving them my mobile number so I've bought a pay as you go sim for an old phone and I'll just dump the sim when it's finished. Minimum spend of £1 a month now, Orange PAYG, so I'm hoping the company does it's work quickly.

We spent the morning slowly packing deconstructed Christmas away. The house looks quite bare.

New lodger has moved in. She's here for a few weeks and is very likable. Good-oh. And she arrived with a little planted up bucket of daffodils (she's Welsh) that will soon come into flower - how kind is that. She's the first lodger to ever arrive with a housegift, so as one of the couples has cried off from OH's pub birthday lunch today (with a good reason) he's invited her to join us.

Now to do a bit of copy and pasting with the exceptionally good advice everyone's given me with regard to H2H.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 07-01-2018 at 2:09 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 10,111 Posts
    • 109,542 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Just catching up with the Fred....

First up, posi-vibes for Piggers' DS1.
    some people seem to have to evacuate the same amount as they imbibe almost immediately!
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    That'll be both me and Mr LW, I'm afraid; some days here, it's a race to see who can claim the bathroom first (he always wins because he doesn't need sticks to walk).
    Washed
    Up
    Dried
    Up
    Put
    Away

For many people the completion of all three steps at once is hard - personally I will happily wash up all day - I LOATHE the drying part.
    Originally posted by Valli
    Me too - the default position here is what we term "a clean mess" - that is the WU bit is done, but it's all stacked in the draining rack.
    I think the grill pan in use is like new as I always line it with kitchen foil before use. I'll check. If so, what do I do with a spare? Fling? CS? Why would anyone want a spare grill pan? ....

.... just checked: current grill pan is lined with foil, and under the foil it's like new .

CS. they can fling it if they don't want it. And breathe...
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    I'd CS it if it was me - someone who has a grotty grill pan, or maybe has had a "culinary disaster" and ruined theirs, might well be glad of it. Or someone with veggies and carnivores in the family who needs two pans in order to grill things separately.......

WM load of Mr LW's clothes done; it's all out on the whirligig, on the basis of even if it doesn't completely dry, it'll have that lovely "been hung outside" smell to it.

Mr LW has given the car a once-over (oil, lights, tyres, screenwash level etc., and also vacuumed the interior) and has now been sent to scrub the loo.

I have decluttered a phone call to set up a meet'n'greet visit for two prospective new guests, two little Cavapoos. They'll be visiting next Saturday; apparently they're on a Raw Food diet, so I'll need plenty of freezer space available if they do come and stay.

Suppose I'd better shift my lardy a$$ and help Mr LW scrub the bath lift.....
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 20,248 Posts
    • 230,129 Thanks
    Valli
    In fact, re the washing up - if I am 'helping' anywhere I will put my foot down and state very firmly that I WILL wash but I WILL NOT dry.

Homework done (prepared for the kids to do, that is) AND BOOKS MARKED AND IT'S NOT EVEN DARK. I have one more work task today (ONLY ONE!!!! WOOTY WOOTY WOOT WOOT); rabbit hutch to refill and Aldi to visit.
    DS's bed stripped.
    I will do Aldi next. Plus, if I'll go now because the heating is not yet on; it's now getting too cold to sit (because I have had windows open, airing).
    Last edited by Valli; 07-01-2018 at 2:31 PM.
    £5342.65
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 7th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 23,510 Posts
    • 91,752 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Himself made the mistake of asking me to listen and tell him what I thought of the band's latest track at 2.30am (and wouldn't let me put it off until this morning). It's supposed to have a 'reggae feel'.

Ugh. It was atrocious. Considering I grew up surrounded by reggae, ska and punk, I think I've actually got a good idea of what that means - and as it was stupid o'clock, I didn't hold back. The poor soul now knows exactly what was wrong with it, largely being it's ridiculously overcomplicated, the bassline drags like somebody's at the back of a funeral procession when they probably should be at the front - in the box - has no 'bounce' and, in my absolutely not humble opinion, what they are actually looking for is a ska based section changing to a Clash style, playing him exactly what I think is needed, cutting out several hangs, probably 89% of the extraneous nonsense and changing the arrangement of the chords in a few places to actually give it some life rather than be some Cod Reggae Cigarette Break song where everybody in the venue finds an excuse to go somewhere else.

He's about to pop out to the shops (I want Sunday Dinner today as I'm back at work tomorrow) and then I suspect that we - I - will be completely rewriting the thing for them. Whether or not the Lead Singer accepts the changes is neither here nor there; it has to be done and then he can refuse or not.

What didn't help is that I got a little short with him during the process - 'Tell you what, you carry on with the ten minute preamble and I'll come back once you've clicked Play'. 'Not ready to click Play yet? OK, I'm off to the loo and we'll try again' 'Yes, you've said that already' 'You've already told me this' 'I KNOW IT'S G, C, D and E - I CAN HEAR IT' 'What on Earth was that? Why?' 'Yes, you've told me that at least five times already, do I really have to listen to you telling me it again?'

Fortunately, the last comment annoyed him enough to snap that he'd best shut up then. 'Yup. It's 4.30am and I've got work on Monday morning. I'm going to bed and you need to stay the **** away from that recording until tomorrow if you actually want me to turn it into something listenable'.

Sigh. It would be so much easier if music wasn't the one thing that makes us properly fight like cat and dog. But we actually do some pretty good stuff in between the rows.

Plan for today, other than 'Try to not murder one another over this bloody song' is therefore

Locate extra stretchy work trousers. We've had Christmas, after all.
    Locate socks. Miracles can happen.
    Locate non shrunken work shirt. Yeah, sometimes I push the bounds of probability too much.
    Locate non shrunken cardigan/jumper. OK, now I'm just being silly...

Eat lots of Sunday Dinner and drink tea.

Clear up afterwards.

Long, hot bath.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 4,740 Posts
    • 47,773 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Valli, is your elderly cat struggling at the moment?
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,928Posts Today

8,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

• RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

• Follow Martin