Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Natty68
    • By Natty68 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,451Posts
    • 35,266Thanks
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018 31st Dec 17 at 5:47 PM

May I wish each and everyone of you, regulars, oldies, newbies, returners and lurkers a very Happy 2018 may it be filled with happiness and not too much dust.

This week will see a LOT of newcomers which happens every year, sadly many of these ladies and gents do not stay long. This influx usually means the thread is very very busy, please do not lose heart if you cannot keep up with everyone else or reading the thread, don't try to reply to everyone and please remember to include something about flying in your posts, chat is for the weekend when your home is looking beautiful!!! Things will settle again in a couple of weeks so don't worry it will return to normal and we will hopefully have some new fledglings.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

There are 3 levels per day deepening on how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer![/color]

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondayday - New Year's Day
    Just some bits and pieces for those in the mood, if not have the day off ready to start tomorrow. Remember to spend sometime with family/friends if you like that sort of thing.

Hoover out smoke alarms and test
    Put up those calenders for the new year
    Update calendar/diary with all those important dates
    Delete some emails/favourites
    Back up photos from phone/laptop etc, enjoy looking over some
    Put away any glasses used last night
    Hoover any areas in dire need
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Sort out that drawer/cupboard/shelf which has been on your list forever.

No Laundry !!!8211; you don!!!8217;t want to wash away any good luck.

Write a list of 5 things you do that make you happy and 5 that make you sad. Ponder on how to do more of the first list and less of the latter.

Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room

Level One
    S&S Kitchen
    Empty out bins
    Wipe/scrub sink
    Level Two
    Straighten up cushions/covers/displaced toys etc..
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Find homes for new appliances/books that you may have received for Christmas
    Level Three
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
    Clear anything that shouldn't be where it is..maybe the Christmas tree if don!!!8217;t want to wait till 12th night
    Look for the good in others and notice their strengths..

Extra Mission Tasks - as usual if you fancy tackling something else you could try one or more of these
    • Check the useby dates on stuff in fridge, double check your fruit bowl !!!8211; do you need to get rid of anything furry or a funny colour?
    • Wipe the bits next to the steps on the stairs, yours might be skirting board, edging of some sort, grab a cloth and give it a wipe

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen, air the bed if possible
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Do three extra acts of kindess fpr other people.

Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check the airing cupboard, anything that is way past it's use by (maybe recycle for rags if possible, you could donate old sheets oor towels to a local animal rescue for bedding)
    • Clean tops of wardrobes and drawers (if safe to do so, no pregnant flyladies on ladders please delegate the job instead)
    • Check through undies drawers, anything more holy than the church which needs to go/be repaired? Anyone need anything replacing?
    • Give everyone at home a bag to collect the things which belong to them that are not where they should be, give them 15 minutes to find them all and put them away You could threaten to bin whatever is left if they don't seeing as everyones being quite ruthless this week
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    Level One...
    The most important task first.. make time for yourself.. a haircut, manicure, or just a relaxing bath in peace!
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two...
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Level Three..
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    • Wash stinky pet beds/houses
    • Dust all the light fittings
    • Chase appointments/put off call and emails/catch up with a friend you have been putting off
    • Check when appointments are due for dentist, opticians, smears etc.. Make notes in diaries/calendars

Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Level One
    Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Level Two...
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Level Three...
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Empty and wash out bins
    • Sort through that pile of hotspots!
    • Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    • Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
    • Get those christmas 'Thank you's' sent out!
    Last edited by Natty68; 04-01-2018 at 9:17 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 11
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 23,877 Posts
    • 93,871 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Evening everyone - I confess to having had a very lazy day today although I did put the rubbish out and did one load of washing. Also put dates in my calendar (which finally arrived this morning!).

Welcome to nannyg, katto, PrincessMP and Wishing

atb - hugs; hope you're feeling a little brighter xx

Thanks Dizzy - tbh it's a bit strange and I feel as though I'm bunking off! Still not into any sort of routine though so that is my aim for next week.

Thanks - I will have to work again at some point but it's nice to know I can have a few weeks off! Will look at Amaz0n for the books.

HB and Roundtuit - I really, really must get this house sorted and, if I can do a decent amount in the next few weeks then I can get people round to give estimates for my new bathroom and / or kitchen. We CAN do this (but I will need your nagging encouragment
    Originally posted by froddington
    From experience of both being the one not working and from living with somebody who isn't, I'd really recommend, particularly as you've been in such a timetabled environment for so long, that you draft out a tiny, tiny schedule for yourself.

Maybe, depending on whether you are a morning person or dragged yourself out of bed every day, setting an alarm for what you feel to be a civilised hour - for me, it's either 10am for a lie in or 5am as I love the very early mornings?

Then curtains/blinds open, window or back door to let in some fresh air and daylight, a nice cuppa and breakfast whilst you think about what you're going to be doing today. Yes, Flylady can help, but that might end up a bit restrictive/you feeling as though you're behind if you do something else on a couple of days.

I try and do all the going out stuff early so that I'm back in the house by lunchtime - and rarely attempt cleaning if it's after noon, just because I seem to find it more rewarding to do it first thing, as then I've got the rest of the day to do other things.

Without any plan at all, it's easy to find that nothing ever happens.

From the point of view of having to live with Himself, he's a s*d for languishing in bed all day and then it being too dark, too cold, too late or any combination of the above to do anything other than watch TV and annoy me. It very nearly ruins every week off I have, as I'm left rattling around by myself, creeping about so as not to wake him, going out without him or controlling an urge to chuck a bucket of cold water over the bed and swear profusely.

However, when I'm back at work, he wakes up in the morning and at least makes me a coffee, so he's up. Because I insist on opening all the curtains and blinds, there's daylight flooding in, he gets dressed and there's a good few hours of him being up, even if he does skulk back to bed. He's more likely to do that if he's put the TV on downstairs first thing, as he will sit down when I leave and get sleepy again, rather than if there's a radio on, which seems to encourage him to get up and do something.

I'd also suggest scheduling two days a week minimum where you go out, whether it's shopping, a hobby or something else, it's too easy to slip into not leaving the house and therefore not getting as much fresh air and daylight; like it or not, being stuck with playground duty means you were outside for more than if you didn't have to.

Other than that, remember that you don't have to spend your days fuelled by stress, half cups of tea and the occasional biscuit stuffed down whilst trying to avoid another learning walk 'oh, I saw you eating at your desk. It's not appropriate/professional': - sit and enjoy your lunches. Have lots of things with peanuts in them, lots of stinky foods, be confident that there will be decent coffee and a decent clean mug whenever you reach for them and enjoy wearing non tailored trousers, tops that expose the collarbones, skirts that do not end on the knee, shoes that are not black and capable of taking polish, trainers and, when summer hits, spend plenty of time in the garden with a Pimms whilst wearing shorts and strappy tops. And if you like, dye your hair a ridiculous colour, wear far too much eye makeup, neon nail polish and swear like a trooper.

Because you can.

I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 4,950 Thanks
    Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome.

I've achieved all 14 of the tasks I set myself. I'm sure it's just first day motivation.

My 'normal' cleaning is in hand, but it's the decluttering and organising that I need flylady help with. So today I focused on cleaning the computer (oh my word it should have had a health hazard!!) and did some tidying & filing In the office.

I've also:
    Done the washing
    Made Paella for tea
    Made a birthday pressie for a friend's little girl (party tomorrow)
    'Sorted' the office
    Updated the operating system on my table.
    Cleared the radiator cover top in the hallway
    Emptied Pickle's wardrobe.

I now have a G&t. And am going to:

Look back at some of this week's tasks that I've missed and pick a couple for over the weekend.

Crack on with some knitting.

Seriously hope that Pickle does some decent sleeping tonight. Last night was hideous.

Have a good weekend everyone.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 16/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £413/£2,500
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 5th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 13,087 Posts
    • 115,124 Thanks
    A busy day after a dog decided to destroy a kitchen cabinet through the night. We have child locks as they!!!8217;ll raid them. This time, damaged the hinge. I!!!8217;m not happy with them and not sure how to combat it. When they!!!8217;re crated they just get noisy and I don!!!8217;t want to restrict them but they!!!8217;re getting obsessed with finding food which in turn makes them unwell... sorry just ranting

Anyway had some help today. Washers been on, driers been on, dishwashers been on, kitchen done, living room vacuumed, rubbish cleared, more than I expected to get done but the boys have helped a bit each. Costco done, Mainly work but did have voucher so £68 spend became £27. Decluttered some food. Need a shower tomorrow before we drive down the caravan to sort that out as not going down for a few weeks. Going to see my dad while I am down there to check he!!!8217;s ok.

Argued with OHs family over the care of his uncle ... let!!!8217;s just say my idea of caring for someone is different to theirs we!!!8217;ve told them while we can help him we will! I!!!8217;m not letting it get to the point it did for his grandma. Got no intention letting them leave him to manage on ready meals or going to the local care home to get a hot meal. Not when his house is a 5 minute detour! Knew someone had spooked him today when I called in !!!8216;oh I!!!8217;ll see how I get on from Monday I!!!8217;ll just middle through again!!!8217;. Knew they!!!8217;d been on at him and they even admitted it. More than a meal he enjoys the company. I!!!8217;ll decide how much I!!!8217;d too much for us to do, not them!!
    Last edited by lil_me; 05-01-2018 at 11:43 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC March : £48.30 / £400
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 16
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Jan 18, 11:37 PM
    • 5,328 Posts
    • 55,014 Thanks
    ATB .........
    Unfortunately, it's a raid on my savings - if I save my PIP money for the next 6 months I'll recoup it, though. And it's nothing exciting, but very, very necessary - new hearing aids. Two this time, as my hearing has further deteriorated, and I need an actual pair (was managing with just one)...........

It'll be about a fortnight til I actually get them I think; I have an appointment for a fitting next Thursday.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I think it'll be exciting !! Shame about the wait and the cost but if you've your hearing back that'll be super. Keep us updated

I totally agree with you Jojo. I found it much better once I had established some kind of routine and structure to the week - though it's not rigid and depends on jobs and weather here.

I think that's what I'm finding so difficult at the moment, as DH stays up half the night watching cr*p tv, then lies in bed all morning and droops about the rest of the day not achieving much. So after a month of this I have devised a different plan and am carrying on in my own little way. This includes wearing headphones most of the evening to listen to my choices.

Anyways, in flying info since earlier post

I thoroughly cleaned the kitchen - all surfaces including the floor. Then made and scoffed dinner, WUDUPA and made oats for the morning.

The window guys returned to sort my balcony door which I couldn't open and did it in five minutes by adjusting the hinges. So this afternoon I swept the balcony, put the very soggy green matting and door mat back down and reorganised the furniture. It will all dry out with a couple of days of wind and sun

Hugs, sticks and spoons if you need some
    Hope you all have a great weekend
    Bulk buy.......MAR=159.75
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
    • Princess Money Penny
    • By Princess Money Penny 6th Jan 18, 1:11 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Princess Money Penny
    Hello ladies,

Can't remember if I updated this yet but will recap anyway!

Well I seem to be winning the battle in the kitchen and living room yay me! Have cleared clothing mountain off the table and organised it into rooms for us and the kids. It's all siting on the landing and if the magic fairs don't do it tonight I'll get it sorted tomorrow. Now I'm on track with clothes washing I'll start targeting the bedding. List for tomorrow

Good hover as carpets are shocking!
    Encourage OH to put Xmas decs in the loft
    Demolish clothing hills
    Clear hallway
    Sealed pot challenge 2018 #016 = £24.35.75
    £1 a day challenge 2018 = £18/£365
    Jan 2018 Grocery Challenge = £48.72/£260
    Declutter one item a day 2018 70/365
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 6th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    Morning all,

Thanks for your kind wishes. Still struggling a lot - this has made me so anxious i have never felt so unwell with anxiety before, I'm struggling to eat. All because two people are being unnecessarily cruel.

I'm working this morning, as is DH, so kiddies with grandma. Work will take my mind off it. We are having a curry tonight, no carbs for me though just curry. Lost 3lb so far so I'm pleased with that.

Huge hugs all round. Thanks for listening; if it weren't for you guys I'd be lost sometimes. xxx
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 21.3.18 - £104,990
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 6th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 4,517 Posts
    • 37,488 Thanks

JoJo I hate mealplanning too but it does save me money and at least the menfolk in my house don't have an excuse not to start cooking if they are home before me. I remember once leaving a packet of noodles on the worktop next to a jar of sweet and sour sauce with the corresponding chicken breasts in the fridge and DH still couldnt work out what I was intending to do for tea!

Feeling bleugh. Have a stupid cough and feel a bit groggy. Also woke up during the night feeling massively anxious and panicky, havent done that for ages.

So after a couple of hours work it will be a quiet weekend for me I think. Bit of laundry to sort and the bathroom didnt get done yesterday but other than that it will be mostly pottering I think.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 6th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 8,492 Thanks

Calming thoughts being sent to my anxious fly-lady friends xx You'll get through this; you have a 100% success record for getting through each day - and you'll get through this day too. And we're all here to help in whatever way we can - even if that is just by being here xx

Private Roundtuit reporting for weekend duty *salutes* I've got washed and dressed (always a good start - it means that I'm not going to laze around in my dressing gown all morning ); made the bed; opened the bedroom and bathroom window to let in some fresh air; dirty washing has been sorted into loads and first load is swishing in WM; enjoyed a cup of tea while reading the thread and sort-of planning what I'm going to do today. (I have to think it before I do it - if that makes sense to anyone ) What seems do-able when I'm laid pondering in bed can be when I actually need to make a start.

Round 1 =
    - dailies
    - take down Christmas tree and PUT AWAY
    - wrap Lorna's birthday present

That's do-able.

Back later

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 4,309 Posts
    • 50,795 Thanks
    Morning flypeeps. Hope you can all have a pottering about weekend.

I have to go into town today to pick up a parcel from the PO but will do another couple of errands while I'm there too. Also, of course, will do some nice dog walks, and flying-wise the decorations need to come down and that will mean some cleaning. Need to change the bedding and hoover through too.

The maybe jobs from goodness knows when are still on my list too.

Have a great day everyone.
    Savings 2018: £1288.56
    "I have not failed 10000 times, I have found 10000 ways that do not work" - Thomas Edison

• Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 6th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Morning all.

I didn't get to post yesterday, as paid stuff seemed to take up too much of the day and flying took a back seat. I thought I was up early this morning to read through and get posted, but looking at the clock, it seems not! I have read through but not a lot of has stuck, so lots of ((hugs)), sticks and spoons to those that need them.

ATB - big squishy ((hugs)) sweetie. I hope you can get this horrible thing cleared up and out of your life as soon as possible. We are always here for you to offload to.

Frodders - enjoy every minute, you deserve it. When I was in a similar position, I did as the others have advised after about the first week, otherwise I was going to fritter away my new found time and then be frustrated. But I always had time for a good cup of coffee, and sat down for lunch, usually to catch up on the thread, tbh!

YL - I hope you feel better soon. I have been known to spend a lot of time looking at beautiful bullet journals on P1nterest.....I have abandoned mine, but they seem to work for a lot of people.

LW - good news about the new hearing aids. Any canine visitors due soon?

I was very proud of myself yesterday, in the name of the Slinkies - I avoided all the chocolates and biscuits at work, and no snacking which is my downfall when I am there. Only to be completely undone when DH found the cheese out last night. My other downfall, amongst many...

So now that it isn't as early as I had intended, I must get showered and dressed, have some errands to run this morning, WM is on, ironing pile has reappeared and then it is an afternoon of running around transporting DD to the stables and back. DH is out for the day, so no excuse not to crack on.

Have good days, everyone.

ETA - sorry, meant to say a big hello to everyone joining in
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 6th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 35,462 Thanks
    Morning all I didn't wake up until 8.45, which is almost unheard of for me - DH and I went out for a meal yesterday, then I went to a good choir practice while he went wargaming, and afterwards I was able to catch up with University Challenge and put myself to bed before he got home, so I must have relaxed

This morning it's dark and wet and horrid outside, so I've switched on my SAD lamp while I'm sitting here with a cuppa which DH made me (usually I make him one). Now he's doing breakfast, which is his daily routine: sometimes I could do with a change of menu, but at least he sticks to the SW plan for breakfast, and he washes up after our other meals.

I had been wearing baggy trousers all week but managed to get into my jeans quite easily yesterday afternoon. They were too tight on Sunday, so think I've probably already lost a couple of pounds since weigh-in on Tuesday.

Froddy, when I left teaching I started doing things off my Toots list until the new job happened

My plan for today:
    - take down tree, sort baubles and pick out the ones we don't need for the CS (I bought a job lot a couple of years ago and have far too many at present), pack up everything else
    - take down cards, holly, lights and other decorations indoors; pack up/chop up as appropriate - one special decoration stays out until 2nd February (Candlemass) which is the real end of the Christmas season
    - put things back in the loft (no ladders involved: under eaves storage only in this house)
    - help DH take down outside lights when the rain stops; leave to dry in utility
    - dust and hoover right through the house with DH. I am proud to say that I can still see the carpet in the study bedroom and the DGC bed is still clear, though the books are piled up elsewhere and the bookcases still need sorting
    - update diaries
    - make phonecalls to AZ, B, CW, L and J
    - send emails to AC, D, R and C/J
    - walk Rosie
    - use up leftover veg in soup for lunch and a curry this evening
    - wipe out empty fridges ready for refilling
    - check freezer contents
    - make shopping list for tomorrow.

Looks a lot, but certainly doable if we get breakfast over by 10.00 - DH is also affected by the dark morning and is clearly on a go-slow. Have just given him a bit of a nudge and will see if I can sort a phonecall while I'm waiting.

More (((hugs))) to atb x

Hope everyone has a gentle day x
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    13/03/2018: 11 st 1 lb
    20/03/2018@ 11 st 2 lb
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 6th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 15,734 Thanks
    A vaguely successful couple of days. Did my first spin class yesterday. Considering I hurt from LBT on Wednesday I’m surprised I can walk. Body Pump today.

Trying to find out whether I can hire a car from one of the smaller firms for a trip to scope out Truro. None of the big firms will hire to me because its not five years. Otherwise I’m going to have to go via London and borrow my sisters car.

I was thinking of doing this, thinking that the funeral is likely to be in couple of weeks in London. Apparently because she was still ‘sectioned’ they need to have a full jury inquest which may be NEXT YEAR That will be so hard for her parents.

So, no trip to London unless I need to go to the Canadian Embassy - still waiting on that.

Grrr. No excuse not to fly then. My brand new bullet journal has literally just arrived so I’m going to procrastinate with that for 10mins first with another cup of tea.

Have a good day fly-peeps.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 20,349 Posts
    • 231,413 Thanks

Other than that, remember that you don't have to spend your days fuelled by stress, half cups of tea and the occasional biscuit stuffed down whilst trying to avoid another learning walk 'oh, I saw you eating at your desk. It's not appropriate/professional': - sit and enjoy your lunches. Have lots of things with peanuts in them, lots of stinky foods, be confident that there will be decent coffee and a decent clean mug whenever you reach for them and enjoy wearing non tailored trousers, tops that expose the collarbones, skirts that do not end on the knee, shoes that are not black and capable of taking polish, trainers and, when summer hits, spend plenty of time in the garden with a Pimms whilst wearing shorts and strappy tops. And if you like, dye your hair a ridiculous colour, wear far too much eye makeup, neon nail polish and swear like a trooper.

Because you can.

Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

Been a very hectic week then went to the theatre last night.

Have run WM an TD. Just having a coffee and bracing myself. Another lazy weekend planned NOT

IF YOU A RE DOING THE SLINKY challenge please post, with your target ty
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65 25/2/2018 £4592.65
    2Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017 £345.88 22/2/2018
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 6th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 8,492 Thanks
    Originally posted by Valli
    I'm too embarrassed to put my start/ goal weight down but I aim to be 4 stones lighter by the end of the year I need to lose more - but like the house it will be a marathon not a sprint. So my 2018 target is to lose 56 pounds. My weigh day will be Tuesday - so I'll have a go at creating a signature and post my progress on Tuesday evenings. Fours days done so far: tick, tick, tick, tick - avoided the chocolates/ biscuits at work and don't have a DH to tempt me with cheese I am out for lunch today - birthday treat for a friend - but that's just part of the learning curve yeah?

As for flying: Round 1 is completed.. (Just for the record the tree was once up for two years (undecorated between festive seasons) so for it to be down and PUT AWAY on 6th Jan is )
    And at 9.30 am there wasn't a dirty pot in the house. 9.30AM on a SATURDAY and no pots!!!! It's never been known. Then I had a drink of water and a bowl of porage and created pots but that's ok. tbh I'd probably have washed them but (a) I've put my dishcloth to soak and (b) I don't want to get obsessive

Round 2=
    -wash hair
    - get dressed (again)
    - meet L at 11.45 (take card & presents)

Bye for now.
    • froddington
    • By froddington 6th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6,618 Posts
    • 93,509 Thanks
    Thank you all for your sound advice! Jojo - your post did make me smile. I don't actually own any tailored clothes and have spent the last 11 years in jeans, trainers and t-shirts / polo shirts at work but I totally get your point. *wanders off to consider hair dye*

I have plans for the next 4 days - tomorrow I'm taking Mum to Mr S; Monday I'm taking myself to the cinema, Tuesday meeting up with a friend for a couple of hours, Wednesday taking Dad to the cinema. I'll need a rest come Thursday!!!

I was thinking of doing this, thinking that the funeral is likely to be in couple of weeks in London. Apparently because she was still ‘sectioned’ they need to have a full jury inquest which may be NEXT YEAR That will be so hard for her parents.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    When my brother died, there had to be an inquest. He died in the August and the inquest wasn't until the following June BUT we were able to have the funeral in the September once 'investigations' were completed. I know every case is different, but fingers crossed the family doesn't have to wait too long to lay her to rest - hugs for all involved xx

Aim for today is to make a start on sorting some of the stuff I collected from my old classroom last week. Some boxes are still in the car . . . . .
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2018 £100
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 6th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 40,259 Thanks
    Sorry was MIA all day yesterday due to loads of work in but I've decided to drop 1 of my 2 bosses as poor hands ache all the time - besides RSI I have a horrid feeling I may have arthritis coming on in my fingers so best to stop overloading myself. DH soon be getting an income so pressure not as intense as it was.

Plan for today is to get the tree down, have to be up the stables to get the boys in by 1 then going t see my friend. May squeeze a walk in too. Got a headache which won't go so hope gentle exercise will shift it otherwise it'll be paracetamol.

ATB, I see that you're going through a really hard time with anxiety etc. I suffer from that too - as others have said set yourself small targets. My favourite saying is 'this too will pass' - and it does .... just pants when you're going through it. Sending you a hug sweetie xx
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 36,564 Posts
    • 470,992 Thanks
    My head is pounding again.. I'm sure it is due to the disturbed sleep.. Twinkle woke as we went up last night and spent the whole night in my bed.. I coughed up a few lungs so my sternum hurts :/ .. have to wake to turn over/move/rejiggle the baby so it is very disturbed! .. and I might be getting old and need specs!

OH TD'd his work trousers this morning because he didn't hang them up last night like I thought he had when he went through to the kitchen as I was going up. He finishes at 4 today.. and starts at 4 tomorrow so can bath the girls in the morning so they are clean for school on Monday.

Suppose I should go do something, anything...

As for Slinkies.. I don't have a 'target' I just want my hip and knee to feel a bit better... but I am still eating my way through the christmas chocolate.. I shall donate the unopened tub to other people I think.. if it isn't here, I can't eat it!

£33 of my fly-marketeers in my paypal..

I need christmas stuff away but it is maybe a bad idea with smalls lurking about... I do have some empty cardboard boxes to flatten and bin though so I shall pay a visit then do those and a HHC at 11:30 if anyone cares to join me?
    Last edited by pigpen; 06-01-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    23/02/2018 £54281.28 (5.15% int.)
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 6th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4,517 Posts
    • 37,488 Thanks
    Well done on your progess roundtuit, and thank you for the kind words. Means a lot x

2.5 hours paid stuff done, plus reconciling my own spreadsheets. Finances look predictably rubbish but that is definitely not worth stressing about.

No-one else has moved yet. I am off for a nice long shower which will hopefully make me feel a bit livelier. Will give the bath a good scrub while I am in there.

FBO the whole situation just sounds awful. Feel really sorry for your family x
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 20,349 Posts
    • 231,413 Thanks
    I won't be so crass as to ask start weight - just your total weight loss goal. mine, when I have lost the next two, will be 5 stones lost in total.

I have done a binbag dance. I have removed the dead mouse. We have enticed the old cat in and locked the cat flap; she has gone to lie on DS's unmade bed which I intend to change - so that's deferred.
    I have done washing up, and taken xmas cards down.
    Decs need to come down today but I need DD to help me get the boxes down from the loft then back up. My friend, who I helped over the hols (cleaned for her) lost her husband on Thursday; very quick - he got his diagnosis on xmas day, (Non- hodgkin's lymphoma) but someone who's been to see her commented on how clean/tidy her house looked. (My own, on the other hand, is a pit...for now)
    Last edited by Valli; 06-01-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65 25/2/2018 £4592.65
    2Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017 £345.88 22/2/2018
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 6th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    A fairly productive morning, considering it is a Saturday and I usually need a rocket to get me going.
    WM run and washing strung up indoors.
    DW currently doing its thing
    Bird feeders filled - this used to be a random activity until I started lurking / posting here, and Narc0's posts reminded me to do it.
    Done my 3 good deeds from the list earlier in the week - fed friend's cat while she is away, taken in neighbour's parcel as requested, sorted elderly NDN's bin collection out now that the winds have died down.
    Been to local town to buy some boots in the sale, to replace very old boots that split before Christmas. Not only successful, but successful 3 times over . For less money than a pair would normall cost me and in my size. This is no mean feat ( no pun intended, or maybe just a bit intended!) as I have massive feet. You could call me Coco the clown, but that would be mean Very pleased with purchases though.

Originally posted by Valli
    Oh Ok then. 2 stone target. Would be happy with 1.5, as that would be my baby weight off. She is going to be 15 soon.... But as just reminded by Pigger's post, I also ate half a bar of my totally calorific Christmas chocolate last night. Just because, and I'm not generally a chocolate person. Oh well, it's gone now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,612Posts Today

7,885Users online

Martin's Twitter