Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,428Posts
    • 34,967Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018 31st Dec 17 at 5:47 PM
    FIRST FULL THREAD OF 2018

May I wish each and everyone of you, regulars, oldies, newbies, returners and lurkers a very Happy 2018 may it be filled with happiness and not too much dust.

This week will see a LOT of newcomers which happens every year, sadly many of these ladies and gents do not stay long. This influx usually means the thread is very very busy, please do not lose heart if you cannot keep up with everyone else or reading the thread, don't try to reply to everyone and please remember to include something about flying in your posts, chat is for the weekend when your home is looking beautiful!!! Things will settle again in a couple of weeks so don't worry it will return to normal and we will hopefully have some new fledglings.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

There are 3 levels per day deepening on how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer![/color]

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondayday - New Year's Day
    Just some bits and pieces for those in the mood, if not have the day off ready to start tomorrow. Remember to spend sometime with family/friends if you like that sort of thing.

Hoover out smoke alarms and test
    Put up those calenders for the new year
    Update calendar/diary with all those important dates
    Delete some emails/favourites
    Back up photos from phone/laptop etc, enjoy looking over some
    Put away any glasses used last night
    Hoover any areas in dire need
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Sort out that drawer/cupboard/shelf which has been on your list forever.

No Laundry – you don’t want to wash away any good luck.

Write a list of 5 things you do that make you happy and 5 that make you sad. Ponder on how to do more of the first list and less of the latter.

Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room

Level One
    S&S Kitchen
    Empty out bins
    Wipe/scrub sink
    Level Two
    Straighten up cushions/covers/displaced toys etc..
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Find homes for new appliances/books that you may have received for Christmas
    Level Three
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
    Clear anything that shouldn't be where it is..maybe the Christmas tree if don’t want to wait till 12th night
    Look for the good in others and notice their strengths..

Extra Mission Tasks - as usual if you fancy tackling something else you could try one or more of these
    • Check the useby dates on stuff in fridge, double check your fruit bowl – do you need to get rid of anything furry or a funny colour?
    • Wipe the bits next to the steps on the stairs, yours might be skirting board, edging of some sort, grab a cloth and give it a wipe

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen, air the bed if possible
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Do three extra acts of kindess fpr other people.

Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check the airing cupboard, anything that is way past it's use by (maybe recycle for rags if possible, you could donate old sheets oor towels to a local animal rescue for bedding)
    • Clean tops of wardrobes and drawers (if safe to do so, no pregnant flyladies on ladders please delegate the job instead)
    • Check through undies drawers, anything more holy than the church which needs to go/be repaired? Anyone need anything replacing?
    • Give everyone at home a bag to collect the things which belong to them that are not where they should be, give them 15 minutes to find them all and put them away You could threaten to bin whatever is left if they don't seeing as everyones being quite ruthless this week
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    Level One...
    The most important task first.. make time for yourself.. a haircut, manicure, or just a relaxing bath in peace!
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two...
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Level Three..
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    Extras
    • Wash stinky pet beds/houses
    • Dust all the light fittings
    • Chase appointments/put off call and emails/catch up with a friend you have been putting off
    • Check when appointments are due for dentist, opticians, smears etc.. Make notes in diaries/calendars

Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Level One
    Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Level Two...
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Level Three...
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Empty and wash out bins
    Extras
    • Sort through that pile of hotspots!
    • Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    • Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
    • Get those christmas 'Thank you's' sent out!
    Last edited by Natty68; 04-01-2018 at 9:17 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 10
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 5th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 13,071 Posts
    • 114,915 Thanks
    lil_me
    Wish itís not unusual for members to just follow the thread. When I ran it 10 year ago we had a lot of lurkers Iím like that now sometimes by the time I read a few Iím out of time to post
    I am however interested in what a Bullet journal is ?

The nearly 17 year old at doctors today for bloods. He hates needles. Emla cream ordered. Heís 6ft 5 now so if he doesnít want to nobody is making him

Tonight I want to get the kitchen table & benches cleared they seem to
    Just get piles on them
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £270.56 / £300
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 5lb
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 5th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 34,661 Thanks
    ionafan
    Welcome to nannyg and Wish, and anyone else who I've missed this week

I didn't actually sleep very well last night - had a strange dream about putting on a school Christmas production on my own, with everything going wrong (and I left teaching 17 years ago!) - so am not firing on all cylinders today. A quiet day is planned: catching up with office admin this morning, taking Rosie for a walk this afternoon, going out for either lunch or an early evening meal with DH (he has a money-off voucher ) and choir practice this evening. We will take down the decorations, clean all through, do washing and refill the fridge tomorrow. I also need to decide which essay title to tackle next and photocopy a few pages before I have to return books to college library on Tuesday.

Hope everyone has a good day. (((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed x
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    09/01/2018: 11 st 5 lb
    16/01/2018: 11 st 2.5 lb
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 36,270 Posts
    • 467,511 Thanks
    pigpen
    Another rubbish night here.. coughed myself silly half the night and snored like a train when I was asleep apparently.. oops...

Squeak ready for party at 11, OH ready for work at 1:30.. I need to pop to my mothers for newspapers and my birthday money and then to bank, I need an appointment to change details and then to pick up prescription and post a parcel and I think that is me done for the day..

Twinkle has just discovered Bing.. she is actually still watching it.. it's amazing... she is utterly entranced..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 5th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 17,549 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    So far:

- DWx1
    - WM and TD x1
    - Tax bill paid in full
    - Paid off balance for a stag do DH going on later this year

Need to get dressed and pop to Aldi now x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 22.12.17 - £115,000
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    Goal - overpay £10k by 31.3.18 - so far £182/£10,000
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 5th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 34,661 Thanks
    ionafan
    Sorry atb, meant to send you extra (((hugs))) when I posted earlier x

Brain like a sieve today!

A couple of little jobs done, showered and dressed. Must press on!

DH has taken Rosie for a walk but she hated the rain and the neighbour's noisy dogs so it wasn't a long one. He has now popped up to MrAl for a couple of items he thinks we can't live without until tomorrow and is going to collect his hat from the seamstress who has had difficulty sewing the new badge on - £10 for nothing?

ETA: DH's hat still isn't ready after 3 weeks And my email provider is having problems this morning, so service is intermittent. I shall have to revert to good oldfashioned pen, paper and telephone
    Last edited by ionafan; 05-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    09/01/2018: 11 st 5 lb
    16/01/2018: 11 st 2.5 lb
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 36,270 Posts
    • 467,511 Thanks
    pigpen
    Squeak got off to her party.. I've coughed myself sick.. off to hop on the scales.. cry.. and then make lunch for girlies..

Sold a top.. £18 .. kerching..
    Twinkle still watching Bing
    Been to my mothers for newspapers.. and to the bank.. still not done the other stuff.. it can mostly be done tomorrow.

I am so tired!!

Cuppa... and food... and WM.. and TD.. and I need to find the source of a fridge smell.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Wish itís not unusual for members to just follow the thread. When I ran it 10 year ago we had a lot of lurkers Iím like that now sometimes by the time I read a few Iím out of time to post
    I am however interested in what a Bullet journal is ?
    Originally posted by lil_me
    Thanks Lil_me. I think I may be the same. But I'm hoping it will keep me motivated.

A bullet journal is an approach to journaling, diary, to do lists that can be as simple or as complex as you like. You can plan at an annual, monthly, weekly/daily level and it helps you prioritise your life. There are lots of oo-tube videos explaining it. Some are beautiful, mine is rushed/hurried and works for me.
    I mainly use mine for financial planning, meal planning, shopping lists and to do lists. I just use a 99p a5 notebook, but o do have a special fabric notebook cover which denotes that particular notebook as my bullet journal.

So far: Christmas decs down and the living room is feeling spacious. Woop woop.
    Started to empty Pickle's wardrobe, had to stop though as he's now asleep.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 0/£2,500
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 23,529 Posts
    • 91,825 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Tax Return submitted first time today. One less thing to keep me awake at 3am.

The new linen bin has emerged from its box and is sitting in the landing (ie, cluttering it up). It's brown plastic claiming to appear like wicker. Better than a pop up type, but I still hate it because it's plastic.

Trying to convince Himself to help me empty the fridge so we - I - can work out whether the water leaking out from underneath is a simple blockage in the drain or something terminal. If it is, we'll get a fridgefreezer, rather than just a new freezer (as it's too small, the seal's gone and I've been planning to get one for at least 7 years). I can't justify the vast sums I spent on the fridge alone, as I got a fancy one with pull out drawer/shelves throughout/a huge storage volume at the time and was bringing in good money, but at the same time, I'm still twitchy about making a decision when I won't be seeing whatever the replacement might be - there's no way on earth I am putting myself, never mind Himself, through the prospect of an electrical retailer visit, as that requires buses, walking and, worst of all, shopping.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 53,630 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon all and a warm welcome to nannyg and Wish

Hugs ATB and hope it's soon sorted and disappears back into the mists

A huge loss of 1/2 lb to declare for the slinky challenge

Dailies done
    Spanish done
    Bed stripped, mattress hoovered/turned/hoovered. Clean linen added, just waiting for DH to return to help with duvet cover
    2 x WM and 2 x TD done and 'stuff' put away
    All decs and cards down and recycled/put away as appropriate

About to have lunch then will make fishcakes for tea and clean down the kitchen and floor.

I have a small pile of both ironing and paperwork to sort, so will see which I feel like tackling later and do the other over the weekend.

Hope you're all having a good day
    Laters Lx
    £10day.2014=3213...2015=3421...2016=3238...2017=2702..JAN=197.44/310
    GrocC.2014=2162...2015=2083...2016=218...2017=1996..JAN=85.56/200
    Bulk buy.......JAN=112.08
    GC.NSD..2015=216..2016=213..2017=229..JAN=12/15
    SPC130x61...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £12,140
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 10,119 Posts
    • 109,657 Thanks
    LameWolf
    ATB there's nothing worse than that extreme sort of anxiety that leave you feeling sick; I hope it's all sorted out in very short order. x
    That must've been a large gift voucher LW! What did you get for your pennies - something nice I hope?
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    Unfortunately, it's a raid on my savings - if I save my PIP money for the next 6 months I'll recoup it, though. And it's nothing exciting, but very, very necessary - new hearing aids. Two this time, as my hearing has further deteriorated, and I need an actual pair (was managing with just one).
    I have changed provider - the old aid packed up about three months ago, and despite Mr LW's best efforts, he has been unable to get me an appointment - they seem to be treating their clients like they were buying a packet of crisps, not a necessary medical aid. So I'm voting with my feet wheels and going elsewhere.
    It'll be about a fortnight til I actually get them I think; I have an appointment for a fitting next Thursday.

Flying-wise - Ronnie was collected just after 13:00, so I shall reassemble the Dys0n (filters have been washed and are now dry) and vacuum up all the Ronnie-hairs and biscuit crumbs.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 5th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 47,820 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I don't seem to have made much of a Flying start to the year yet. I'm sort of on top of it and looking at the lists I've done several things already so I'm getting there, but slowly. Kitchen floor just swept and about to be washed and I've made four quichey things over the past couple of days, three an a half of which are now in the freezer. I was really shocked at the price of readymade pastry, so I made it in the foodprocessor in the end.

Healing vibes for your ears, Mrs MP, and Ionafan for your hip bruises,
    (((Hugs))) for FFP, ATB and Dancemum.
    Welcome Katto, Princess Money Penny, Wishing TMA and Nanny Gladys. I find posting helps me enormously - keeps me sort of accountable and motivated.
    Roundtuit and Frodders, I think we're all in a Challenge of our very own. Ahhhh. I amazon'd all my textbooks Frodders - and welcome to the world of not working M-F during the day. It won't be long before you wonder how you ever managed to fit working in.

Devil Cat is still with us and fingers crossed will be for OH's birthday tomorrow. The vet told us he's referred to as The Miracle Cat by the practice when he was seen on Tuesday so they're reassured he's not suffering and isn't ready yet. Thank you everyone who's still wishing him *pain-free* vibes. They're really working wonders.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 05-01-2018 at 7:24 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 5th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 36,513 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

atb sending you a big squishy supportive hug. Hope it all gets resolved soon x

Paid stuff done. More paid stuff to do. Spent a silly amount on steak for DH and the teens for tea, everyone a bit glum about getting back into the daily routine and I know that DS1 cant afford to go out this weekend so a treat is needed. I am also hoping that if we have lots of cheap teas with an occasional expensive tea thrown in it will keep them all happy.

Hope DH is Ok Dizzy.

So, very quick hoover around, one load of washing over airer, another load in. Kitchen tidied and sink bleached. Bathroom swished and loos cleaned.

Oooh and someone posted about bullet journals, I have just properly discovered bullet journalling and love it.

I need to work. Bah.
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 5th Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 12,340 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Not had time to read posts since I posted last but I just wanted to say that the bathroom has been cleaned to a inch if it's life and its so clean I don't want to use it now!!!!
    Right off to do some desk work after I make a coffee to keep me going, but I will need to borrow the shredder from dd1. This thread has got me fired up and I feel so much better for doing it.
    Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free but only income is state pension so need to be frugal
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 23,529 Posts
    • 91,825 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    The fridge has been pulled out, the back is now cat tumbleweed free, the floor swept and the insides systematically removed.

Things acquiring sentience have been removed, every drawer cleaned in the bath and the source of the leak was indeed the drainage hole at the back being blocked, but further down than usual - full credit to Himself for suggesting a cable tie might be suitably long, narrow, flexible and non damaging enough to poke down there in the absence of the Bosch-recommended solution of a net curtain wire (or a pipecleaner). And he joined two up so that we didn't then have to work out a way of removing a short cable tie from blocking the drainage tube . I lay full blame at the feet (roots?) of an errant spring onion that had welded itself to the back of the fridge.

Cleaned the whole inside, the door and seals whilst I was there, lined the drawer that actually has veggies in it with kitchen roll and it now looks very clean and very empty. All I need to do is buy a smallish freezer now and keep the posh fridge.

He's just gone out to find something for dinner, having informed me that I need to give him meal plans for each week in future. I hate the idea, it's like giving a child a list of chores to complete (that won't be done properly because the reader can't follow written instructions). And I'm capable of thinking up something to cook once I'm in the kitchen staring in the cupboard. I suppose if I buy a new freezer, I can stock it with ingredients and make sure when he overcaters that things are frozen in portions.

Bah. Humbug.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 23,529 Posts
    • 91,825 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Wow - that is a serious amount of money

I've just WUDUPA whilst concocting a pasta dish for myself. That's the first time I've done anything like that for years - concocting that is, not WUDUPA. I usually grab something ready made from the freezer, heat it up and eat it, but, today, I boiled pasta and made a 'sauce' using a tin of tomatoes and a tin of sliced mushrooms - which I liberally coated in pepper. It wasn't great but it was edible. I need to learn portion size when cooking pasta and my 'sauce' was too wet: I've had to change my top as I didn't think to wear a tea towel as a bib . But I had a go - and next time it'll be better (and there'll be less pasta!)

So that's the paid stuff and the dailies done. And Day 3 of healthier eating: tick. Also today I brought in the bin and recycling boxes, cancelled my hair appointment tomorrow and rescheduled it in 5 weeks time...my hair has just grow to a length I like so I didn't want to pay to have barely anything taken off the ends , and took my dad his birthday card and present - he's 83 years young today

Have a good evening.
    Rxx
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    Handful of dried pasta is roughly a portion, two for when you're not having bread or salad/lots of veg with it. Use tomato puree rather than a tin of chopped next time and drain, then dry the mushrooms off in the pan before adding anything else (such as a little bit of chopped/crushed garlic, chopped onion and a little bit of oil - if you're using fresh mushrooms, put them into the oil with the onion and add a tiny splash of water if everything looks too dry). Add puree - a very large blob, proper tablespoon size, at least three soupspoons of puree, if not six - and stir well. Bring up to heat, let bubble if it still looks a bit wet (if it looks a bit dry but not burning, don't forget there will still be some moisture from the pasta), at the last minute, chuck in some torn up herbs if you like them, drain the pasta and then stir it through. The sauce should cling to rather than immerse the pasta.

• roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 5th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 7,329 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Hello

That's the paid stuff done for the week. And I'm not starting the weekend with a kitchen full of recycling to be sorted and pots to WUDUPA - which, as planned, is going to free up time tomorrow for more decluttering (I'm actually looking forward to it )

Spuds are scrubbed and baking in the oven, beans decanted into a pan ready to be heated, that'll be tea sorted. Earlier today I found myself looking for a recipe for tuna pasta bake and sourcing / pricing up bakeware - I then turned to my colleague and said 'What the beep is going on? Who am I turning into?' She laughed and said 'You're going to be a domestic goddess' If I am it'll be thanks to you guys (but I'm not holding my breath!)

Honey Bear, froddington I'm looking forward to hearing about your successes as we turn our homes in to places we can truly relax in.

Hugs, spoons, sticks and posi-vibes heading flywards

Rxx

ETA Thank you Jojo - that's really useful as I haven't a clue how to make these things. I'm going to order a Mr T delivery this weekend so I'll get the ingredients and have another go.
    Last edited by roundtuit; 05-01-2018 at 5:51 PM.
    • MinnieMousesMummy
    • By MinnieMousesMummy 5th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 13,324 Thanks
    MinnieMousesMummy
    Well, I didn't have a very productive day, as had a hospital appointment and then went shopping for back to school/uni stuff. I have managed to get a few things done.

Monday - New Year's Day

Wipe/scrub sink
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Put all the ironing away that was done over the past few days.

Work out finances for DH for January/February (work in progress)
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    Dust all the light fittings

Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
    Last edited by MinnieMousesMummy; 05-01-2018 at 7:26 PM.
    £10 challenge 2017: Jan £387.76, Feb £82.21, March £254.10, April£0, May £674.30
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 5th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 47,820 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It hasn't been too bad an afternoon. I've been setting myself a task a day that won't make flying onerous but will ensure I work through all those extra little jobs that need doing and get left until they're a frog. Today it was to wash the vacuum cleaner's filter and dehair the roller. Can't think why I left it until last. Before that I also:

- washed the kitchen floor
    - made Jamie's (cherry) ice cream to keep OH happy because he's been whinging we'd run out of homemade stuff and much as I love cherry jam I was apparently never going to eat it,
    - turned the double around for an arrival on Sunday,
    - did most of the filing which was getting out of hand (hurrah!)
    - dsyoned the bottom layer,
    - and wrapped OH's presents and wrote the card.

OH is mumbling along to Suzi Quatro who is squawking out Devilgate Drive. I saw her in 197 ... mumble mumble mumble the day it got to #1 in the Great Hall at Exeter Univiersity. She was a bit chuffed, to say the least.

Kelpie doesn't like being left alone downstairs after having to spend too much time on his own over Christmas but he's so relaxed in the evenings it turns out I can spend an hour or two in my office without him minding. Bliss. I'm a bit tired of having to work sitting on the sofa with my work on my knees, which I've been doing for 18 months.
    Keeping it AF
    • froddington
    • By froddington 5th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 6,603 Posts
    • 93,305 Thanks
    froddington
    Evening everyone - I confess to having had a very lazy day today although I did put the rubbish out and did one load of washing. Also put dates in my calendar (which finally arrived this morning!).

Welcome to nannyg, katto, PrincessMP and Wishing

atb - hugs; hope you're feeling a little brighter xx

How does freedom feel Frodders? Hope you've enjoyed the day xxx
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    Thanks Dizzy - tbh it's a bit strange and I feel as though I'm bunking off! Still not into any sort of routine though so that is my aim for next week.

Honey Bear, froddington I'm looking forward to hearing about your successes as we turn our homes in to places we can truly relax in.
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    Roundtuit and Frodders, I think we're all in a Challenge of our very own. Ahhhh. I amazon'd all my textbooks Frodders - and welcome to the world of not working M-F during the day. It won't be long before you wonder how you ever managed to fit working in
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Thanks - I will have to work again at some point but it's nice to know I can have a few weeks off! Will look at Amaz0n for the books.

HB and Roundtuit - I really, really must get this house sorted and, if I can do a decent amount in the next few weeks then I can get people round to give estimates for my new bathroom and / or kitchen. We CAN do this (but I will need your nagging encouragment
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2018 £00
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 5th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 40,924 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Monday - New Year's Day
    Schedule time with DS2 and his calendar
    Hoover any areas in dire need - on DS1's list for tomorrow
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Wipe/scrub sink
    double check your fruit bowl
    HH tidy
    27 fling boogie time
    Bath - in the morning
    HHC in DS2's room
    Vacuum- DS1 tomorrow
    Binbag Dance
    phone dentist
    phone car place
    take little cat to vet's (she has a croaky voice)
    Empty and wash out bins

Work was fairly painless (health & safety training) and OH came into town with DS2 to meet me. Boy had been for a hair cut and we had another failed attempt at finding school shoes for him. Will have a look online now, although I don't like buying shoes this way at all. 4 humans and 3 furries fed and now chilling. I'm going to knock a few things off my list in a minute.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,778Posts Today

6,597Users online

Martin's Twitter