Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,058Posts
    • 10,963Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 6th February 2018
Page 82
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 49,979 Posts
    • 607,329 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well, I’m stunned to announce a 2.8lb loss. I didn’t see that coming but I’ll grab it! Just over 0.6lbs to break through the stone barrier.
    Thanks for the chart, Kathryn. Delighted for you, Grey, for being SOTW.
    Sorry you’re struggling at the moment. Kathryn. I’m amazed that you still manage to keep us all on the straight and narrow.

Brilliant loss, dawyldthing.

tweets, Poppy looks cosy in her (almost) Utd coat!

Getting back to normal (still not been to shops – too much snow and not keen to drive DH’s car in it).

Breakfast: hexb porridge made with water and salt
    Lunch: hm leek & potato soup, Liberte 0% fat blueberry yogurt
    Snacks: wine gums (4), 3 cranberry & coconut mini crispreads (2)
    Dinner: chicken & mushroom barley risotto with tomatoes and beetroot (6), meringue nest (3), fresh fruit salad, ff Greek yogurt
    Snack: hexa cheese & grapes
    Originally posted by greentiger
    wow well done
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 12 1/2 lb week 46
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 17,533 Posts
    • 105,065 Thanks
    maman
    Great loss greentiger You deserve some good news!

Thanks Maman
    Are they both speed?
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Yes, definitely both Speed. Both great in stir fry. I never understand why baby corn is Speed when sweetcorn isn't?? Sugar snaps are good for munching on raw too.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 50,499 Posts
    • 192,995 Thanks
    beanielou
    I wont be trying, as heard more bad than good

Luckily paid with vouchers from surveys so essentialy free.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 50,499 Posts
    • 192,995 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss Greentiger
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,729 Thanks
    joedenise
    Maman I think I can explain why baby corn is Free and corn on the cob and kernals aren't - it's because the older the corn is the starchier it becomes so a cob and kernals (which, after all, are only from the cobs) are starchy vegetables like potatoes. Hope that makes sense!

Great loss Greentiger.

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 49,979 Posts
    • 607,329 Thanks
    bubbs
    Great loss greentiger You deserve some good news!

Yes, definitely both Speed. Both great in stir fry. I never understand why baby corn is Speed when sweetcorn isn't?? Sugar snaps are good for munching on raw too.
    Originally posted by maman
    Thanks, i dont like sweetcorn as sweetcorn, but do like baby corn
    Luckily paid with vouchers from surveys so essentialy free.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Oh thats one result then x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 17,533 Posts
    • 105,065 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks Maman
    Are they both speed?
    Maman I think I can explain why baby corn is Free and corn on the cob and kernals aren't - it's because the older the corn is the starchier it becomes so a cob and kernals (which, after all, are only from the cobs) are starchy vegetables like potatoes. Hope that makes sense!

Great loss Greentiger.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    That makes sense denise . I do like to understand the why of SW.

Like you bubbs , I like baby corn but not sweetcorn. I think it's because one is crunchy and the other just seems tasteless and pointless.

Just enjoyed a bowl of berries with yogurt. yum!
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 15,472 Posts
    • 189,788 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    We are back.

I was a little naughty with food.... and very naughty with something else (I did not mean to).

I had tempura prawns and calamari as a starter
    Then fish, and veg.... yes..... what a choice.... I was looking at OH's chips with envy...
    Pudding - came home and had chopped apple, orange, banana with Quark.

Now for the unintentionally naughty.... the meet/greet/manager chap.... well I recognised him but not sure where from. He then says 'aren't you xxx's mum.' I say no but I am her aunt. Two lots of free drinks brought to the table. The waiter tells us, he just to sit next to said niece.... they all flipping knew her.......... lots of little chats about the niece..... until the waiter states that her boyfriend is called Ben..... I click we are on about different people.... not that I am going to disclose that after receiving free drinks!!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 13th Feb 18, 7:36 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 10,963 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Well, I’m stunned to announce a 2.8lb loss. I didn’t see that coming but I’ll grab it! Just over 0.6lbs to break through the stone barrier.

Sorry you’re struggling at the moment. Kathryn. I’m amazed that you still manage to keep us all on the straight and narrow
    Brilliant loss.

It is hard work keeping you all on the straight and narrow. There are some baaaaaad people in this group
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 13th Feb 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 10,963 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Weigh in day today and feeling bloated and yukky. Just hope it isn't too bad.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - fruit and yogurt
    Lunch - salad
    Dinner - noodles

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - none planned
    syns - salad dressing (1), cranberry juice (2.5)

With it being the start of lent tomorrow is anyone giving up anything for lent?
    I'm thinking of giving up unplanned food synful food.
    I manage fine with my meals, and they are generally planned. It's all the little extras that I kind of guestimate, or don't write down at all.
    I reckon if I plan my treats I will be more in control of them.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 28,524 Posts
    • 418,288 Thanks
    tweets
    Thanks for the chart, Kathryn. Delighted for you, Grey, for being SOTW.
    Sorry you’re struggling at the moment. Kathryn. I’m amazed that you still manage to keep us all on the straight and narrow.

Brilliant loss, dawyldthing.

tweets, Poppy looks cosy in her (almost) Utd coat!

Getting back to normal (still not been to shops – too much snow and not keen to drive DH’s car in it).

Breakfast: hexb porridge made with water and salt
    Lunch: hm leek & potato soup, Liberte 0% fat blueberry yogurt
    Snacks: wine gums (4), 3 cranberry & coconut mini crispreads (2)
    Dinner: chicken & mushroom barley risotto with tomatoes and beetroot (6), meringue nest (3), fresh fruit salad, ff Greek yogurt
    Snack: hexa cheese & grapes
    Good Morning

Well done on weight loss

It is her Man United coat can you imagine if it was a light blue
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 13th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Hey,

Reporting a Plus 1 this week. Rotten cold that just won’t disappear, working away for the last two weeks, freezing weather. Fell off the SW wagon a bit. Back on it now. Will read back later, haven’t checked in for ages. Hope everyone is well x
    Weight loss 2017/2018 - 42 lbs
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 17,533 Posts
    • 105,065 Thanks
    maman
    Just a pound isn't bad for working away msm. It's so much harder to stick to SW when you can't control what's available.

Hope you enjoyed your 'anniversary' meal ssm, including the drinks under false pretences!

I've still got 20+ syns left in the bank for today and tomorrow and few plans to use them. I'm feeling quite slim but hope I won't regret saying that come WI.

Just lately I've been using parmesan to top dishes with mash etc. It's surprising how just 2 syns worth (10 grams) can make a nice crust on a cottage pie or similar dish. I think it's psychological as I enjoy it just as much as adding far more syns as cheddar. Shared with DH that's just one syn.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, (half) HEB toast, fried egg, mushrooms, ham, HEA milk for drinks
    L: stir fried veg (courgette, spring onions, carrot, mushrooms, peppers, sugar snaps, cabbage) with noodles
    D: Austrian ham hash with cabbage, cherry Alpen
    Syns: parmesan 1,noodles 1
    Last edited by maman; 13-02-2018 at 4:06 PM.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 13th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 3,527 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning everyone.

Todays menu:
    B Bran flakes berries and yoghurt
    L BNS soup, omelette with mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans
    D Beef casserole in SC
    1 pancake with lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar - the rest of the day should be syn free so I think thats OK. Others will be having very synful toppings!
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 13th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 15,138 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Kathryn thanks for the chart. Just remember that it is perfectly acceptable to reduce the reduction a little to manage the withdrawal symptoms. What is important is that you get to the point when you are free of the pain killers x

GAF, well done

I rather like the sausages!

But I have not had the others. I bought the Lamb Ragan Josh from Aldi... but the flipping kids ate them!

I did a camp fire stew yesterday..... I now know that the name comes from the fact the spices give it a burnt taste.... sadly I have enough for several meals!

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    I thought it was called campfire due to the beans effect from Blazing Saddles
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 13th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 15,138 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Came in to polish my halo, made the boy (loads) of pancakes and didn!!!8217;t touch any of them (except with the spatula )

Got the Farm Foods flyer through today, looks like price reductions all round. Bacon was 3 for £6 but now £5, bags of fruit 3 for £5, veg 5 for £4 and fish 3 for £10 all mix and match
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,729 Thanks
    joedenise
    Like you Maman I had 20+ syns available for today and tomorrow so have taken advantage and used 10 on 1/2 a part baked baguette (75g)! It was so good - haven't had any since we were in France last year. Will also use some syns on a couple of pancakes this evening. May also pinch your idea of 10g of parmasan on the top of the shepherds pie tonight!

I wish we had a Farm Foods near us TIE. They seem to have good deals all the time. I've heard we're getting a "frozen food place" in the next town but no idea which one - maybe a FF - I do hope so!

Today's plan:

B - baked oats with pistachio flavouring; pomegranite seeds (only fruit I had in the freezer and no fresh fruit left)
    L - the last of the Thai style butternut squash soup (thank goodness - it was too spicy for me) - heat taken out with some fromage frais; 1/2 demi-baguette 10 syns
    D - shepherds pie with added veg, topped with colcannon & sprinkle of parmasan (5g) 1 syn per portion
    Pancakes (25g flour 4.5 syns) - will make batter with water; will probably get 2 pancakes from the batter. Will have with lemon juice & sweetner

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 17,533 Posts
    • 105,065 Thanks
    maman
    Like you Maman I had 20+ syns available for today and tomorrow so have taken advantage and used 10 on 1/2 a part baked baguette (75g)! It was so good - haven't had any since we were in France last year. Will also use some syns on a couple of pancakes this evening. May also pinch your idea of 10g of parmasan on the top of the shepherds pie tonight!

I wish we had a Farm Foods near us TIE. They seem to have good deals all the time. I've heard we're getting a "frozen food place" in the next town but no idea which one - maybe a FF - I do hope so!

Today's plan:

B - baked oats with pistachio flavouring; pomegranite seeds (only fruit I had in the freezer and no fresh fruit left)
    L - the last of the Thai style butternut squash soup (thank goodness - it was too spicy for me) - heat taken out with some fromage frais; 1/2 demi-baguette 10 syns
    D - shepherds pie with added veg, topped with colcannon & sprinkle of parmasan (5g) 1 syn per portion
    Pancakes (25g flour 4.5 syns) - will make batter with water; will probably get 2 pancakes from the batter. Will have with lemon juice & sweetner

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Meant to report back: Farmfoods smoked haddock is fine, much better than the salmon. The salmon was a bit tough and white scum appeared on it just like with cheap bacon.

I used to buy a fair bit in Farmfoods but I don't think they have the same value any more. Particularly for SW friendly stuff that is. Plenty of crisps and biscuits and that sort of thing.

I would recommend their frozen leeks and most of the other veg is very good too. Unfortunately the pack sizes have shrunk a lot from 1kg and the prices go up!
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 13th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    not wishing to go against any slimming world here but as someone whos done slimming world 3 times now and lost about 2 stone each time ( yes Ive put it back on several years apart ) I tried a different approach this time. I hit 19 stone 2.5 pounds on new years day.I decided to remove crisps, nuts, sweets, cake, chocolate from my diet but each everything else as normal. OK I have swapped in 2 or 3 ready meal slimzone meals or quorn meals and tried to do the odd lot of slimming world chips ( still eat shop ones maybe once a week ) and try for 2 or 3 bowls of Weetabix with sweetner rather than toast during the week when I remember. I only ever have diet fizzy drinks so never had full sugar ones. Odd dinner times out and a very odd macdonalds.

BUT

Even with just those changes

Guess what...Ive still roughly lost the same amount of weight as if I were doing slimmingworld 100% so not sure it the best way there is or just changes your way of eating?

as at last Monday 18 stone 1.75 pounds

( good luck if slimmingworld is working for you....Im really not knocking it )
    Last edited by consumers_revenge; 13-02-2018 at 5:52 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 49,979 Posts
    • 607,329 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all

Syn free tea with loads of speed
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,945Posts Today

9,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin