Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,064Posts
    • 11,021Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 6th February 2018
Page 80
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 36,741 Thanks
    joedenise
    I've only tried a couple of the SW meals. The beef & vegetable crush one is OK but far better to cook it yourself using the recipe on the back.

Have also had the potato & sweet potato curry - the flavour was OK but the potatoes weren't cooked enough, they were still rock hard. Haven't actually tried cooking that one myself.

If you're the sort of person who likes to keep ready meals in the freezer for those can't be bothered days then probably worth trying some and deciding whether they are for you but personally I prefer to batch cook my own meals and freeze them for those sorts of days!

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 17,552 Posts
    • 105,158 Thanks
    maman
    I've only tried one SW meal: the chicken jalfrezi. It was OK but the sauce was a bit watery.

If you like an Indian curry then I'd recommend Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh for 1.5 syns. Just as good as a take away IMO.

Sorry you were disappointed with your kedgeree denise. I'm hoping the haddock will be OK. I bought 3 for £10 bags from Farmfoods to try. The salmon wasn't that good, we'll see what the haddock's like. I might try Iceland another time. I generally buy my fish YS in Sainsbury's or in Lidl. I'm trying to up our fish intake but it seems you get what you pay for.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 11,021 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I've had a couple of the ready meals but I'm not keen. Then again I generally don't like any ready meals. I tend to make my own read meals from left overs and have them in the freezer for when I want something quick instead
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Really surprised (mind you last week I rounded up so it might have made the difference) but

-3.5lbs

So now only got 2.5lbs to go until I've lost 4 stone really cannot believe it. I never thought it would happen. I'm wondering if my thyroid tablets are now too high mind but I think the last prescription said review in April so might wait until then and not bother docs as I've got more energy now and stuff.

Food for today:

Breakfast: Greek 0% fat yoghurt and an apple cut up.
    Dinner: birds tomato sausages (I'm saying 4 syns each so 8 syns), home made gravy (2 syns), broccoli, sprouts, cabbage.
    Tea: I think I'll have fish, mushy peas and mint sauce.

Also I think I've asked before but feeling like a bit of chocolate - can anyone tell me what chocolate honeycombe matchsticks are for 4 or how they work it out.

Well done to the losers, keep your head up sts and any gainers. It's heading in the right direction and remember where we started to where we are now
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *60lbs lost* *31lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 32 weeks in -52lbs
    -> target 11 st 13lbs by mid June -> 15 weeks & 18lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I used to get Iceland ready meals on the way to work - they fill the spot but not that well. I now make a quick omelette or take some frozen veg out and nob it in the pan with frozen fish/ tin of tuna on my can't be bothered days.

Welcome Fred btw and thanks for the chart Katheryna - sorry to hear you're under the weather with the meds. Might be worth asking if there's any alternate/ something that can be taken inbetween as there's nothing worse than being in pain
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *60lbs lost* *31lbs to go*
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 17,552 Posts
    • 105,158 Thanks
    maman
    Well done on your loss dawyldthing . Shiny next week? !!!128512;

I can't see any Matchsticks online. If you post the food values we can work it out.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 36,741 Thanks
    joedenise
    Really surprised (mind you last week I rounded up so it might have made the difference) but

-3.5lbs

So now only got 2.5lbs to go until I've lost 4 stone really cannot believe it. I never thought it would happen. I'm wondering if my thyroid tablets are now too high mind but I think the last prescription said review in April so might wait until then and not bother docs as I've got more energy now and stuff.

Food for today:

Dinner: birds tomato sausages (I'm saying 4 syns each so 8 syns), home made gravy (2 syns), broccoli, sprouts, cabbage.

Also I think I've asked before but feeling like a bit of chocolate - can anyone tell me what chocolate honeycombe matchsticks are for 4 or how they work it out.

Well done to the losers, keep your head up sts and any gainers. It's heading in the right direction and remember where we started to where we are now
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    Do you mean matchmakers? If so the honeycomb ones are 1 syn per stick so 4 would be 4 syns.

Good luck for the 4 stone shiney next week!

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,499 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done to all the losers!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Have my first class tomorrow, back to my old group and consultant (who is absolutely fab) so will start plan properly on Wednesday. Not sure my thyroid meds are quite right yet but I'll give it my best .

Quick question - SW Iceland meals - these didn't exist the last time i did plan, are they worth buying or are you better to try and cook from scratch? They seem like a handy thing to have for the days when you're not in the mood for cooking but don't want to stock the freezer up if they're horrid!
    Originally posted by FredTheArmadillo
    IMO the cottage pie one is best.
    A lot of them use way too many spices and way way too many peppers.Bah.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,499 Thanks
    beanielou

-3.5lbs

Food for today:

Great loss for you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 12th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 5,960 Posts
    • 6,055 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Thanks for the chart, kathrynha, and sorry you're not feeling too good at present. Congratulations to GAF on slimmer of the week, and welcome to Fred.

On the subject of SW ready meals - we like the chicken tikka masala one and find there's ample to share between two of us. We've also tried the lasagne (both the beef and vegetable varieties) but weren't at all impressed.

We've just discovered the ALDI 'Slimwell' meals, which are cheaper and less calories than the SW equivalents - I think SW threatened to sue Aldi because the packaging is very similar, so I don't think they've been given syn ratings.

So far we've just tried their bolognese ragu, which we had with courgetti and we both enjoyed. We have a couple of other ones in the freezer, but not tried them yet - we try to cook from scratch, with ready meals being for the odd occasion where neither of us can face cooking.

I can second mamans recommendation for the ALDI chilled rogan josh if you enjoy curry.

Plan for today - got up late, so just brunch today - ham salad sandwich (HEXB) with cheese (HEXA) and red pepper.
    Beef casserole in the oven for tea shortly
    Mango, clementines and pears for snacks, possibly with a muller light.

Syns - 1 for oil when preparing the casserole, and possibly a kitkat.
    Last edited by p00hsticks; 12-02-2018 at 5:22 PM.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Do you mean matchmakers? If so the honeycomb ones are 1 syn per stick so 4 would be 4 syns.

Good luck for the 4 stone shiney next week!

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    That's the ones. Thank you. Don't attend club but will award myself with new trousers or something when I get there
    My targets to end 2018:
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 11,021 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Welcome Fred btw and thanks for the chart Katheryna - sorry to hear you're under the weather with the meds. Might be worth asking if there's any alternate/ something that can be taken inbetween as there's nothing worse than being in pain
    Well done on the loss.

I'm not actually in that much pain from the kidneys or operation. Just a bit bruised and achey.

I'm on the pain relief because I was in a lot of pain during my treatment. Problem is I am now addicted to it, and need to get off it. The withdrawal symptoms do include pain, but there is nothing I can take for it. Just have to endure it. They could do the reduction slower, but that will just make me suffer for even longer, so I really don't want that, so will cope with it if I can.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 15,480 Posts
    • 189,835 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Kathryn thanks for the chart. Just remember that it is perfectly acceptable to reduce the reduction a little to manage the withdrawal symptoms. What is important is that you get to the point when you are free of the pain killers x

GAF, well done

I would try a few and see if you like them sausages are yuk .

Others will be along with their views
    Originally posted by tweets
    I rather like the sausages!

But I have not had the others. I bought the Lamb Ragan Josh from Aldi... but the flipping kids ate them!

I did a camp fire stew yesterday..... I now know that the name comes from the fact the spices give it a burnt taste.... sadly I have enough for several meals!

• kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 11,021 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Kathryn thanks for the chart. Just remember that it is perfectly acceptable to reduce the reduction a little to manage the withdrawal symptoms. What is important is that you get to the point when you are free of the pain killers x

GAF, well done

I rather like the sausages!

But I have not had the others. I bought the Lamb Ragan Josh from Aldi... but the flipping kids ate them!

I did a camp fire stew yesterday..... I now know that the name comes from the fact the spices give it a burnt taste.... sadly I have enough for several meals!

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Want it over and done with as soon as possible so I can lose the line in my arm.

I don't like the SW sausages. The taste was okay, but I didn't like the texture. Reckon they would be okay in a sausage casserole though
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 15,480 Posts
    • 189,835 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Want it over and done with as soon as possible so I can lose the line in my arm.

I don't like the SW sausages. The taste was okay, but I didn't like the texture. Reckon they would be okay in a sausage casserole though
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Kathryn, some people manage a quick detox, the majority manage a tailored detox that has periods where things go a little slower. We wish you all the very best, it is a hard journey.... but one that needs to be made x

I think I like the sausages because I was a veggie for 30 odd years..... when you have age veggie sausages for this length of time..... cardboard tastes lovely!

Todays food

Breakfast
    2 apples

Lunch
    2 apples

Snack
    Brough (I cannot remember the spelling - the large tasteless cracker).
    1 triangle of the light cheese
    slice of ham
    Quark and brambles

Tea
    Not sure, we are going out for a posh meal as it is 31 years since we met.... just looked at the menu... I think I will be having steak and salad.
    Last edited by Sunshinemummy; 12-02-2018 at 6:19 PM.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 11,021 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Kathryn, some people manage a quick detox, the majority manage a tailored detox that has periods where things go a little slower. We wish you all the very best, it is a hard journey.... but one that needs to be made x

I think I like the sausages because I was a veggie for 30 odd years..... when you have age veggie sausages for this length of time..... cardboard tastes lovely!

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Going to try to cope, but am aware that it might not be possible. I am quite stubborn and determined though

Having had quorn sausages before, that explains it
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 50,026 Posts
    • 607,721 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Off to catch up, but before i go i have had a NSV last night/today, i thought no way could it be 47 weeks since i started SW as was end of March, just had a count up and somewhere along the line i had added 2 weeks, its 45 weeks
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 12 1/2 lb week 46
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 50,026 Posts
    • 607,721 Thanks
    bubbs
    Morning everyone,
    I made chicken curry with the SW chippy curry sauce - I put onions, peppers and mushrooms in and it tasted quite good. I've one tub left, but not sure I'd buy it again.
    Plan for today is:
    B: All bran (HEB) Skyr yogurt with honey (1 syn) and berries
    L: Pasta salad with mixed beans
    D: Cottage pie with veg.

I've a pack of sensations poppadoms a hi-fi bar and fruit for snacks. Have a good day everyone x
    Originally posted by lightbulb0811
    At least it was palatable, as i say we like it but dont like hot curry
    Here is this weeks chart

Well done GreysAnatomyFan on SOTW

*SOTW is the person who has lost most this week who also lost or maintained last week
    well done and thanks Kathryn for the chart x
    Been offline for a few days, and you lot have been posting loads.

Been not on plan and feeling not great. Struggling with the reduction in pain relief with withdrawal symptoms, but determined to try and stick with the schedule and not lengthen it.

Got weigh in tomorrow, and plan to have 2 not too bad days to try and cancel out some of the damage

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - fruit and yogurt
    Lunch - noodles
    Dinner - chilli

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - none planned
    Syns - Cranberry juice (2.5), SF sauce (0.5)
    Sorry you are not feeling great, take care and look after yourself xx
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 50,026 Posts
    • 607,721 Thanks
    bubbs
    Sorry to hear things aren't great for you at the moment Kathryn. All you can do is the best that you can. Your health is far more important than SW.

Congratulations GAF on being our SOTW. You've had brilliant losses in your first couple of weeks.

Today's plan:

B - Laughing Cow on toast; topped with tomato (was supposed to have been poached eggs on toast but they were a real mess so gave all of them to DH, LOL!)
    L - kedegree but without the boiled eggs!
    D - LO sausage & bacon cassoulet

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - Laughing Cow 2; sausage 1; may also have a hifi bar to make it up to 5 syns today

Have a good day everyone.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    That cracked me up
    Morning all.

Thanks for the chart Kathryn - hope things start to look up for you very soon. Congratulations to Greysanatomy fan for SOTW

Ended yesterday on 6.5 syns so making up some of the weekend excess.
    Inspired by Bubbs I made some scotch eggs from veggie sausages that we weren't very keen on yesterday - family really liked them and they've been kind enough to leave me one for lunch....

So todays menu:
    B 1/2 grapefruit with 1/2 tsp sugar, boiled egg, 3 crispbreads
    L BNS soup, Scotch egg with salad
    D Sausage casserole from the freezer for me with veg, fish for OH
    Snacks Fruit, Alpen light or more crispbreads to make up HEB

It's all a bit sausage and egg today!
    Have a good day all.
    Originally posted by esmy
    Glad i inspire someone
    Bit of a waste of gravy putting it on the table, prefer to have it on food
    Originally posted by TakeItEazy
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 50,026 Posts
    • 607,721 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well done to all the losers!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Have my first class tomorrow, back to my old group and consultant (who is absolutely fab) so will start plan properly on Wednesday. Not sure my thyroid meds are quite right yet but I'll give it my best .

Quick question - SW Iceland meals - these didn't exist the last time i did plan, are they worth buying or are you better to try and cook from scratch? They seem like a handy thing to have for the days when you're not in the mood for cooking but don't want to stock the freezer up if they're horrid!
    Originally posted by FredTheArmadillo
    I am not keen on SW meals
    I've only tried one SW meal: the chicken jalfrezi. It was OK but the sauce was a bit watery.

If you like an Indian curry then I'd recommend Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh for 1.5 syns. Just as good as a take away IMO.

Sorry you were disappointed with your kedgeree denise. I'm hoping the haddock will be OK. I bought 3 for £10 bags from Farmfoods to try. The salmon wasn't that good, we'll see what the haddock's like. I might try Iceland another time. I generally buy my fish YS in Sainsbury's or in Lidl. I'm trying to up our fish intake but it seems you get what you pay for.
    Originally posted by maman
    I have had that haddock before and was ok, infact i need to go farmfoods for fish and prawns as dh has asked for the fish pie again, he really liked it
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,682Users online

Martin's Twitter