Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,059Posts
    • 10,987Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 6th February 2018
Page 71
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 7th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 4,208 Thanks
    candyapple
    A lovely 1.5lb loss on the scales this morning

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    joedenise
    Last day of the week for me and still have 27.5 syns left! Obviously won't use them all; I've been struggling to have 15 most days which is why there's so many left. Even ended up using 6.5 syns on some ice cream last night (thought I'd picked up Halo Top Salted Caramel but it was a Yeo one which is much higher syns but not a problem as had syns available).

Today's plan:

B - beans on toast; satsuma
    L - jacket potato; tuna mayo (1); salad
    D - chicken curry; rice; plenty of veg in the curry

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - LTL mayo l; not sure what else but maybe some more icecream!

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 17,546 Posts
    • 105,127 Thanks
    maman
    well done kathrynha and candy.

You deserve to celebrate kathrynha.

I've got 14.5 syns left this week denise. Amazing what gin can do for us!

Strangely, I don't feel as if I'm losing despite sticking to plan. My stomach feels bloated. I've got another week before I'm planning to eat out (with limited choice) so I'll keep at it but I must go to WI soon and face the music.

I'm going to be out at lunchtime so although I've got things I can eat here I might have something out like a Pret salad if I'm too hungry to wait.

EE plan:
    B: NAs grapefruit, HEB toast, fried egg, tomatoes, mushrooms, ham, HEA milk
    L: LO hash with pickles
    D: SE spaghetti Bolognese
    Syns: Parmesan?
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 7th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 18,329 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    +0.5lb for me :/

trying not to sink in to my usual funk so...new day today:
    breakfast: scrambled egg (p), smoked ham (free) and baked beans (p) - I had no appropriate speed in the house to add
    lunch: pasta salad: pasts tubes, quark, cooked chicken, smoked ham, pickled onion, carrots, tomatoes and lettuce. this is divine and tastes really rich and much better than mayo!
    afternoon smackerals: mullerlight, Satsuma, apple
    tea: burger (0.5) with wholemeal roll (heb), trimmed bacon medallion, sw chips done in actifry. will have salad on the side so lettuce, tomato, beetroot, pickled onions, carrot.
    syns: fibre one slated caramel (4) cheese single for my burger (rounding average to 3) and maybe a hifi light later on if I feel the need for (3)
    healthy extras: wholemeal roll with tea (b choice) chocolate coconut milk (a choice - 300 ml)
    drinks so far: 2x peppermint tea. I really need to drink more. in fact I will go fill my 1lbottle now and drink that with some NAS squash before finishing work today

can anyone provide extra feedback they think is needed?
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • esmy
    • By esmy 7th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    esmy
    Hi all.

Finished yesterday on 8.5 syns.

Todays menu
    B Half a grapefruit with 1/2 tsp sugar, boiled egg, 2 crispbreads
    L 2 Aldi LF sausages with mushrooms beans and toast (HEB)
    D Salmon with baby potatoes and green veg
    Snacks - fruit and maybe an Alpen Light later. I shall be very sorry when the large navel oranges that are around at the moment go out of the shops - I have one every day! Should end on around 9 syns again.

Joedenise I didn't know that SW were recommending 10 syns a day now - I rarely have less than 5 a day but can easily go to 15 (or a bit beyond!) Shall have to have a rethink.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Feb 18, 1:33 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    joedenise
    LLS - as long as you have plenty of salad and not just a little then I would have thought you're having the necessary third of Speed over the day. Perhaps you could have had some fruit as part of your breakfast if you think you should have something at every meal (as SW suggst). But like Maman I think as long as it's a third over the day then that works as well.

Esmy - I wouldn't worry about going to 15 on some days and only having 5 on others. I think the reasoning behind the suggesting 10 a day is that some people guesstimate syns so in case people are doing that (or not measuring milk/cheese etc) then you'll still be within syns. Hope that makes sense.

Denise
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 7th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 6,608 Thanks
    ilovetea
    -2.5for me this week please.
    didn't want to go as it was so cold and icy and I was certain I'd had a gain. So glad I went now.
    Congratulations to all the losers.
    Congratulations to Kathrynha,that's great news.

ilovetea xx
    #10 Make £2018 in 2018. £221.27.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 18,329 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    LLS - as long as you have plenty of salad and not just a little then I would have thought you're having the necessary third of Speed over the day. Perhaps you could have had some fruit as part of your breakfast if you think you should have something at every meal (as SW suggst). But like Maman I think as long as it's a third over the day then that works as well.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    thanks Denise - I don't mind low/no speed at breakfast if it's more protein based and can fit more in through snacks/lunch/tea. plenty that needs using tonight so will have over 1/3rd a plate

roughly planning tomorrow as it's an odd one:
    breakfast: baked oats (apple and cinnamon - 3 syns ish for 100g apple cooked in). served with some quark
    lunch: on the go - more of the pasta salad from today.
    snacks: grapes/apple/Satsuma
    tea: need to find something whilst out an about that's vaguely healthy. I have time to kill from 4.30pm until about 7pm. options include pizza hut/costa coffee/flaming grill type pub/kfc/mcds/carvery etc etc but I'm on my own and never sure about eating anywhere alone!
    I'm in the directors box at a rugby game in the evening but i'll stick to diet coke/water/hot drinks as I'm driving
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 17,546 Posts
    • 105,127 Thanks
    maman
    Well done ilovetea it was definitely worth dragging yourself out in the cold for that.

Esmy - I wouldn't worry about going to 15 on some days and only having 5 on others. I think the reasoning behind the suggesting 10 a day is that some people guesstimate syns so in case people are doing that (or not measuring milk/cheese etc) then you'll still be within syns. Hope that makes sense.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    That's right denise . I rarely have Speed for breakfast except for full English. I try to have more like half at other meals to keep up
    Then I often have snacks of Speed which I don't often post. So this week I've had a bag of YS melon and plenty of berries with yogurt. I use the 1kg bags of frozen berries from Aldi. They sell them as suitable for smoothies and I think they're better value than the other packs. 25% each of strawberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and raspberries.
    I agree about the guesstimates too especially milk.

I think I'd go to a carvery for dinner lush unless there's somewhere that does a JP or a salad. I often eat in Pret on my own. People used to take a book if they felt conspicuous on their own. Now they just play with their phones!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    joedenise
    LLS I agree with Maman I'd go for a carvery out of those options. Take a book to read while you're waiting and then you won't feel so self conscious; I've only ever had to eat out on my own a few times when I was working back in the 80s but I think it was more difficult then than it is now to be eating on your own.

Thanks for the tip about the frozen from Aldi Maman I'll look out for them next time I need to buy some frozen fruit (won't be until after my holiday now!).

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,320 Thanks
    beanielou
    -2.5for me this week please.
    didn't want to go as it was so cold and icy and I was certain I'd had a gain. So glad I went now.
    Congratulations to all the losers.
    Congratulations to Kathrynha,that's great news.

ilovetea xx
    Originally posted by ilovetea
    Great loss
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,320 Thanks
    beanielou
    A lovely 1.5lb loss on the scales this morning
    Originally posted by candyapple

Lovely loss indeed

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,320 Thanks
    beanielou
    I dont think eating out is nearly so bad these days.

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 7th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 15,085 Thanks
    greentiger
    Thanks, beanie, maman and Kathryn.

Well done, Kathryn, ilovetea and candyapple.

Keep those tasty meals coming, bubbs. Thankfully, I don!!!8217;t have room for a pie maker!

Well, I had an !!!8216;interesting!!!8217; evening yesterday. Went to match !!!8211; a win for the Bairns, woohoo. Came out, started car, to be greeted with message !!!8220;Steering has failed. Stop safely.!!!8221; Well I was stopped so that was ok. I get breakdown cover as part of my service so I called them up; no record, but they could send out AA and I could join for £170 when the patrolman came, which I could (try to) claim back. It was -4C and no way to get home, and I!!!8217;d still have to sort out car, so I agreed. I think the guy on the phone felt sorry for me as he said to make sure I got the dealer to update their records and that man should be by 10.50. Phoned SiL (DS at work) and he arrived and took DH home while I waited. Man arrived spot on 10.50 and DH about 11.15. AA couldn!!!8217;t help so had to take the car to a garage (closed, of course) and popped keys and note through letterbox. DH and I got home just after midnight. Phoned garage this morning and they had the keys and were expecting my call but didn!!!8217;t know when they!!!8217;d get to it. Also informed me they stopped doing breakdown cover LAST January. Oops !!!8211; that means I had free recovery from AA! (I feel so guilty, I!!!8217;ve joined up with them today.) Garage later called to say they wouldn!!!8217;t get to car today and maybe not tomorrow as their books are full! That!!!8217;s never mind the repair! They have no courtesy car available until 22 Feb! DD is 8 months pregnant and just moved last week to another town, but DGS is staying at current school so I!!!8217;m his taxi driver. SiL took him this morning and went late to work, which wasn!!!8217;t great for him as he had time off last week for move and will be off for a few weeks post baby too. DD fetched him after school. I!!!8217;ve managed to get a rental car from tomorrow until Saturday !!!8211; got to go to Stirling to pick it up, to let me do grandson run, shopping etc. (DH is already committed to picking up our other grandchildren.) I don!!!8217;t need a car this weekend and kids are off school, Monday and Tuesday, so by that time, I should know where I am with my own car. Someone has already suggested it could be about £1000 to fix! Eek!

Sorry about the moan. Been well off plan today. It!!!8217;ll be better tomorrow I!!!8217;m sure.

Night.
    Stashbusting 16
    Reading Challenge 4/26
    Film Challenge 2/26
    Weight Loss 1 5.2/9
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 7th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 15,085 Thanks
    greentiger
    I see we still have the pesky apostrophe problem!
    Stashbusting 16
    Reading Challenge 4/26
    Film Challenge 2/26
    Weight Loss 1 5.2/9
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 7th Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 50,008 Posts
    • 607,578 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Some good losses well done all
    Tea tonight Free food feb stiry fry

Lunch i had tuna, ham and egg salad, 3 plums and 3 satsumas
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 12 1/2 lb week 46
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:07 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,320 Thanks
    beanielou
    Greentiger~~That is dire.
    Hope you get it fixed pronto.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 50,555 Posts
    • 193,320 Thanks
    beanielou
    Evening all
    Some good losses well done all
    Tea tonight Free food feb stiry fry

Lunch i had tuna, ham and egg salad, 3 plums and 3 satsumas
    Originally posted by bubbs
    You will be glad that I dont want to pinch your tea tonight

• lucia22
    • By lucia22 7th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    lucia22
    Thanks everyone for your tips on the syns . I am going to keep using them because it allows me to satisfy a few cravings without it resulting in a huge blowout. I love that I never have to be hungry on this diet . Shall see how tomorrow's weigh in goes.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2018 (Total 2016 UU - 211|Total 2017 UU - 114)
    Toiletries Total UU to end of Jan - 14
    |Feb - 4|Makeup Total UU to end of Feb - 0
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    joedenise
    Absolutely agree Beanie.

Hope the repair isn't that expensive GTS. Sounds horrendous.

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

500Posts Today

5,803Users online

Martin's Twitter