Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1,963Posts
    • 10,271Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for youÖÖÖgo for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list Ė so thatís pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra Ďaí choice and one Healthy Extra Ďbí choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 50.5 lb
    Last updated: 2nd January 2018
Page 16
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 5th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Morning all

Raining so not sure if I am riding to work or taking the bus. Plan for today:

B - Overnight oats
    L - LO salmon and roasted veg
    D - Caribbean pepperpot stew (with chicken) and plain rice
    S - Banana, apple, pear and grapes.

HEA - Milk
    HEB - Oats

Have a good day everyone
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    Evening everyone

I went slightly off that plan yesterday. I had a SW beef lasagne for dinner instead of the stew. Wasn't impressed with the lasagne, it was watery, peppery and didn't have a lot of flavour. I won't have it again but it filled a gap.

I've discovered Murray Mints (1 syn per mint) and two in the afternoon helps get over that sweet craving.

Today I had:

B- Overnight oats
    L - Home made tuna pasta salad made with half fat mayo (5 Syns)
    D - Homity pie (without cheese), oven baked chicken breast with oven roasted peppers and tomatoes.
    Snack - Fruit

Staying fully on plan and feeling inspired by you all

Holiday in June; I want to be at least 2 stone lighter; ideally 3.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 5th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 49,557 Posts
    • 604,106 Thanks
    bubbs
    You are so lucky. Before being ill and drugs effecting them I quite frequently managed to have period pains and hot flushes at the same time.

These days with the drugs some months I think Niagara Falls has less flow!

Once the cancer is all sorted I will go on the waiting list to get that stuff sorted out.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    I am lucky i agree
    Yes deal with one thing at a time xx
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 10 1/2 lb week 43
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 5th Jan 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 14,892 Thanks
    greentiger
    Lovely loss, lush! You’ve done well too, esmy, Midge and BarleySugar.

I like to use my syns for bready stuff or a wee biscuit or butter. Occasionally I have a wee bit of chocolate or sweets.

Fingers crossed for the right outcome for you, Sunshine! BTW, OH arrived when his mother was 50! DD is expecting a little surprise in March – she’s 41 and thought it was the change. For me, I skated through the change; I didn’t know it had actually happened (things just gradually spaced out a bit more) until the doctor confirmed it when I was 55. I never had a flush but I once had hot hands.

Well, I went out for lunch today and I bet you’re all waiting with baited breath to find out if I stayed with my bacon steak or succumbed to some other tasty treat. Well I’m sorry, guys, I didn’t get the bacon steak – the menu was different, no risotto there either! Mostly it was pie or creamy or battered or cheesy. I was totally vexed. In the end I chose South Indian garlic chilli chicken with rice and naan. You’ll be pleased that I didn’t eat the naan, even although I love it. And I didn’t have anything else either. I could feel you lot watching me like hawks. Thanks for coming with me, beanie and maman. No idea of syns.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs on 1 wee slice of toast (3) with 3g butter (1) – weighed toast before and after adding butter
    Dinner: hexb sandwich spread with mustard and filled with pulled beef, an orange, WW toffee apple yogurt
    Snack later will be hexa cheese and grapes , as usual

Roll on tomorrow.
    Last edited by greentiger; 05-01-2018 at 9:19 PM.
    Stashbusting 10
    Reading Challenge 2/26
    Film Challenge 2/26
    Weight Loss 1 3/9
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 5th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 15,344 Posts
    • 188,768 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    OMG Greentiger.....baby at 50 and 41... there is something in your genetics.

When we were walking I told OH that if I had not xxx by Monday I would go to the doctors for a test (that is what you did way back in my day)... he then suggested that I may be on the menopause. I think my game of winding him maybe over!

Well done on the losses.

James Smith's video about menstration is interesting
    Aim 20 lbs loss by 21.3.18.
    10 weeks to go - 16.5 lbs to go.
    20,000 step a day challenge.
    Day 1 - 27,024 steps. Day 2 - 24,000 steps. Day 3 - 18,554 Day 4 -13,207 Day 5 - 14,218 Day 6 - 27,238 Day 7 - 13,000. Total 137,241
    Banked steps for lazy days 0....
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 17,378 Posts
    • 104,068 Thanks
    maman
    Fingers crossed for the result you want sunshinemummy . I know what I'd want.

Sorry if beanie and I intruded by sitting on your shoulder greentiger at lunchtime. I'd just try to keep syns low until WI to play safe.

I'm calling tonight 30 syns. I've had wine and succumbed to half a cracker with Stilton (DH is manfully polishing off Christmas stuff).

Now made a cuppa to distract me while I watch the pain (6 of our players ) of the Liverpool v Everton game.

P.S. Not seen topgirl since she went on maternity leave. Hope all OK?
    • orlao
    • By orlao 5th Jan 18, 11:17 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 2,284 Thanks
    orlao
    Evening all,

-2lbs for me but feeling like Mr blobby today, clothes too tight. Oh well, nobody to blame but myself!
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 5th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 27,003 Thanks
    Nicki
    Out for dinner today so guessing syns!

Breakfast: porridge (HEA and HEB)
    Lunch: chicken, mixed salad, 1.5 tbsp blue cheese dressing (5 syns)
    Dinner: chicken nasi goreng (guessing 10 syns for oil as other ingredients should all be free)
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 6th Jan 18, 12:07 AM
    • 10,383 Posts
    • 19,304 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi all
    Sorry I keep going AWOL, my IBS is flaring at the moment. Had a bit of a manic day after getting some unexpected good news (will explain on Sunday) so haven’t eaten all that well!
    Today’s food
    B: Raspberries, Light and Free yoghurt and choc shot (2) Alpro choc soya drink (HEXA plus 1.5)
    Lunch: HEXB HiFi x 2, French Fries (4.5) apple x 2
    Tea: Salt and pepper chicken, ‘Nando’s’ spicy rice from Pinch of Nom, salad. Fab lolly (4)water
    Supper: Dairy Milk little bar (5) water
    Syns: 17
    Night all xx
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    I ❤️my bulldozer
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 6th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Morning and a happy weekend to you all.

Hello to all the new SW gang, if you stick around here you will do well. Good luck!

Well this morning Iím very happy to report minus 4 lbs this week.

Iíve been mostly on plan but there have been indulgences (4 mince pies in a row that my niece made) and also uncontrolled hospital food after an operation during the week (waaaay off plan!). Ooh and a large bar of the co op sea salted butterscotch chocolate

Somehow Iíve managed to lose well despite this. I have really upped my water intake this week and it makes me remember how much this helps.

What else has helped? Not going shopping til Iíve cleared what I have in stock. This has meant three sensible meals, not much snacking and being creative in a SW way. I think I will have to go shopping tomorrow though. Todayís menu is...

Breakfast - porridge with sultanas, honey and cinnamon
    Lunch - home made lentil soup
    Dinner - felafal burgers 2.5 syns each with SW chips, tomatoes and asparagus
    Snacks - pineapple
    Options hot chocolate drink

Syns - honey 2, felafel burgers 5, hot choc 3
    Weight loss 2017/2018 - 40 lbs
    • lightbulb0811
    • By lightbulb0811 6th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    lightbulb0811
    Hi everyone, Rejoined class this morning and starting afresh so nothing to report until next week.

Plan for today is:
    B: scrambled egg, tomato and kings mill thin (HEB)
    L: subway salad with syns for dressing
    D: Iceland SW meal

Still to go to Iceland so not sure what dinner will be. Have a good day x
    Save £12k in 2018 90?? £1117.10/£6000
    Sealed pot challenge #10 £26.70/200
    Weight Loss 4/60 lb First challenge 4/21 by 4/3/18
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 6th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Hi all

First weekend on plan; I always find weekends the hardest. I was absolutely ravenous this morning so I started with a cold chicken breast (baked in the oven last night). Other than that, today's plan is:

B - Baked oats (in the oven now) 1 Syn for 1 tsp sugar with blueberries and grapes
    L - Omelette with ham and a light sprinkle of cheese. Probably have that with oven roasted veg
    D - SW Syn free burger with oven roasted sweet potatoes and other veg.

HEA - milk & cheese
    HEB - Oats

Have a good day.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 10,271 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Well done orlao and moneysaverme on your losses

Today's plan :
    Breakfast - toast and marmite
    Lunch - noodles
    Dinner - Italian chicken

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - bread
    Syns - butter (2), miso (.5), coconut (2)
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 50.5 lb
    Last updated: 2nd January 2018
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 6th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 15,049 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Morning all

WI with .2lb gain not bad with only 3 days completely on plan

Back at work now so hopefully can stick to plan!

Really want to get back to bottom end of target so Kathrynha can I go on the chart for 5lb please.
    Last edited by TakeItEazy; 06-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 17,378 Posts
    • 104,068 Thanks
    maman
    well done orlao and msm. You've really started 2018 well!

Hi all

First weekend on plan; I always find weekends the hardest. I was absolutely ravenous this morning so I started with a cold chicken breast (baked in the oven last night).
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes

That's an excellent idea. If you have SW friendly things to eat when you know you get ravenous. Well done!

I'm going to try more water this week too. I quite like hot water with lemon or lime juice particularly at this time of the year. I keep a bottle of each in the fridge, much easier than squeezing fruits.

Today's plan (while listening to my team on the radio) is to make up some carrot and swede mash for tomorrow and for the freezer. It's so much easier when it's ready to use. I might make some rice for this evening too. I've been lazy lately using microwave pouches when I can make it syn free myself.

I bought some Aldi Benefit biscuits yesterday (pleased to see they'd gone down in price!) so I can snack on one later if I want my full HEB. While I was there tie, I noticed that they now do the Benefit biscuits in gluten free too.

Today's EE menu.
    B: NAS grapefruit, scrambled eggs, half HEB toast, HEA milk for teas
    L: ham with stir fry veg and noodles
    D: Lamb Rogan Josh with extra mushrooms, pilau rice and SW chips
    Syns: noodles 1, weekend wine!
    • VALM
    • By VALM 6th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 36,510 Thanks
    VALM
    OK after a bad couple of days I'm back in the soup kitchen batch cooking for the week. From the Little Book of Soups I'm making BNS soup and pea and ham. Also making WW Curried veg as it's MRM's favourite.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,233 Posts
    • 7,708 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hello all

Hope everyone is wrapped up warm - ruddy cold & frosty this morning though I did get up & go swimming before class. Also bought a new swimming costume as the old one was like wearing a drag suit in the pool lol.

Talking of which it was manic today with everyone returning/starting - not helped by the GL’s computer on the go slow. Mind you, after weighing I wish I hadn’t bothered - wi saw a + 8lbs .

Hubby has promised to make me a paella tonight as well so I think the dog is going to get an extra long walk tonight - especially as I will be having my 2 glasses of wine tonight as well.

Other than that I also had a Tesco cookie - not really worth the 14.5 syns (yes I know) but I know that if I go slightly overboard on a Saturday night then for the rest of the week I’m super strict with myself - plus it will motivate me more to go swimming and actually swim as if I am there to exercise.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 17,378 Posts
    • 104,068 Thanks
    maman
    Wow! greentiger . I just heard your score.
    Not too much celebrating please.

Slight change of plan. I'd forgotten I had some LO veg in the fridge so had that for lunch with ham so no syns used.

I do the same at weekends gettingtheresometime . Hope that cookie was worth it.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 49,557 Posts
    • 604,106 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all,

-2lbs for me but feeling like Mr blobby today, clothes too tight. Oh well, nobody to blame but myself!
    Originally posted by orlao
    Morning and a happy weekend to you all.

Hello to all the new SW gang, if you stick around here you will do well. Good luck!

Well this morning Iím very happy to report minus 4 lbs this week.

Iíve been mostly on plan but there have been indulgences (4 mince pies in a row that my niece made) and also uncontrolled hospital food after an operation during the week (waaaay off plan!). Ooh and a large bar of the co op sea salted butterscotch chocolate

Somehow Iíve managed to lose well despite this. I have really upped my water intake this week and it makes me remember how much this helps.

What else has helped? Not going shopping til Iíve cleared what I have in stock. This has meant three sensible meals, not much snacking and being creative in a SW way. I think I will have to go shopping tomorrow though. Todayís menu is...

Breakfast - porridge with sultanas, honey and cinnamon
    Lunch - home made lentil soup
    Dinner - felafal burgers 2.5 syns each with SW chips, tomatoes and asparagus
    Snacks - pineapple
    Options hot chocolate drink

Syns - honey 2, felafel burgers 5, hot choc 3
    Originally posted by Moneysaverme
    well done

Maman how much were the benefit bars please? didn't take much notice when i grebbed some in the week as was in a hurry
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 17,378 Posts
    • 104,068 Thanks
    maman
    Benefit bars were 79p a pack bubbs. I'm sure they used to be 99p.

I think that's really good value as the cheapest Alpen Lights are usually a pound. I've never bought HiFis but I'm sure they're much more expensive.

ETA: They had vacuum packed beetroot on Super 6 again so I bought 6.

Why do we never get pics of picky tea?

I made 3 portions of pilau and 3 of swede/carrot mash. That's some to eat now and some for the freezer to save me some work.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 49,557 Posts
    • 604,106 Thanks
    bubbs
    Benefit bars were 79p a pack bubbs. I'm sure they used to be 99p.

I think that's really good value as the cheapest Alpen Lights are usually a pound. I've never bought HiFis but I'm sure they're much more expensive.

ETA: They had vacuum packed beetroot on Super 6 again so I bought 6.

Why do we never get pics of picky tea?

I made 3 portions of pilau and 3 of swede/carrot mash. That's some to eat now and some for the freezer to save me some work.
    Originally posted by maman
    cause too many syns, might be a bit lacking of pics the next few weeks
    I have only ever paid 79p for them x
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

4,937Users online

Martin's Twitter