Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 31st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3,339Posts
    • 1,506Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Baxi Combi breakdown
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    Baxi Combi breakdown 31st Dec 17 at 11:41 AM
    My MILs boiler broke down yesterday, 7 years old, not sure of exact model but its a small compact model. Controls pic here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73633709&postcount=1

Local Company B&K (if anybody knows the area round Camberley/Farnborough) has quoted £1000 to fix ("fan" and/or "condenser" - haven't got exact details, apart from its been leaking out the bottom...).

We know the company who are reputable, but the most expensive in the world. Any chance anybody knows somebody around here who may give a second opinion? (Basingstoke/Guildford). Cheers.
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 31-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 31st Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 32,261 Posts
    • 37,961 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    For £1000 I'm assuming the main heat exchanger is leaking otherwise that's incredibly expensive for just a fan
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 31st Dec 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:59 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:59 AM
    For £1000 I'm sure you could get a shiny new boiler with five years warranty although sod's law says it would need modification to the plumbing to make it fit but I'd be reluctant to pay a grand just for a repair as other parts in the rest of the boiler are just as likely to die in the near future.

see here https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/baxi-224-condensing-combi-boiler-easy-pick-pack?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI oM3VzZm02AIVzbftCh3QXwDLEAQYAiABEgKokvD_BwE#.WkjRP t9l_IU ,

other boilers, suppliers and manufactures are available

a quick shufti of the interweb shows that Baxi heat exchangers can be any random price you like between around £50 and £700 dependining on the boiler. I guess fans are probably about the same.
    Last edited by matelodave; 31-12-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 31st Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    God, I hate Baxi boilers. But that's not my main problem. It's knowing somebody local who can a. do a good job and b. not cost an arm and a leg.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • FestiveJoy
    • By FestiveJoy 31st Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    FestiveJoy
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    My MILs boiler broke down yesterday, 7 years old, not sure of exact model but its a small compact model. Controls pic here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73633709&postcount=1

Local Company B&K (if anybody knows the area round Camberley/Farnborough) has quoted £1000 to fix ("fan" and/or "condenser" - haven't got exact details, apart from its been leaking out the bottom...).

We know the company who are reputable, but the most expensive in the world. Any chance anybody knows somebody around here who may give a second opinion? (Basingstoke/Guildford). Cheers.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Try Yellow Pages

You need to have at least 3 independant quotes for something that may set you back that amount, and it's important you check anyone coming has the correct Gas Safe Registration before you let them anywhere near the boiler.
    Local independants will usually be a lot cheaper than the big boys like British Gas.

Here's some reading for you from MSE's owner to keep you busy this looooooong festive period.
    https://www.moneysupermarket.com/money-made-easy/the-true-cost-of-fixing-a-boiler/

It'll give you an idea of the sort of cost you should expect to pay. As matelodave says, you can buy a whole new boiler for less than £1k (but you will need to add labour to that)

• FestiveJoy
    • By FestiveJoy 31st Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    FestiveJoy
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    God, I hate Baxi boilers. But that's not my main problem. It's knowing somebody local who can a. do a good job and b. not cost an arm and a leg.
    I know, because it would be so much easier if it was a Worcester or a Vaillant, wouldn't it?
    • FestiveJoy
    • By FestiveJoy 31st Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    FestiveJoy
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    Here's a few suggestions, all from within a 20mile radius, who should be able to help you

P J Welch

Surrey & Hampshire Gas

T Garrod Plumbing And Heating

Flexi Heating & Plumbing

Byron Plumbing & Heating Limited

Trojan Property Maintenance

K W Stokes Plumbing & Heating
    Last edited by FestiveJoy; 31-12-2017 at 1:28 PM.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 31st Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    RADDERS
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    Have you looked at the British Gas one off repair, we did this just before Christmas, we did the service one as well so costs us £99 plus £23 a month for 12 months. This also included a service, ours needed a new circuit board so worked out well and they came out the next day whereas local firms couldn’t come out till the new year.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 31st Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    Have you looked at the British Gas one off repair, we did this just before Christmas...r.
    Originally posted by RADDERS
    Might try it. The existing B&K charge is £200 which they will remove from the actual repair if MIL gives the go ahead.
    • FestiveJoy
    • By FestiveJoy 31st Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    FestiveJoy
    Might try it. The existing B&K charge is £200 which they will remove from the actual repair if MIL gives the go ahead.
    Don't forget the VAT!

It's expensive to call people out this festive time of year isn't it? Still, won't be long now...

• grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 31st Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    The existing B&K charge is £200
    Don't forget the VAT!
    Originally posted by FestiveJoy
    That's inc VAT. £90 call out (includes 30minutes work) and another hour of tinkering... FestiveJoy my *rse
    • qsk
    • By qsk 31st Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    qsk
    Baxi itself does a fixed price repair for around £300. Last time, they replaced the heat exchanger for me to make it worthwhile (around Xmas time). But the boiler gave me too much hassle. I was so fed up with it that I had it replaced the next year.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 4th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Baxi itself does a fixed price repair for around £300. Last time, they replaced the heat exchanger...
    Originally posted by qsk
    Thanks - we've gone for this, although price is now £380. All repairs for 12 months (upto max £1500 value). Only problem is they cannot do the work until Monday and it gets cold tomorrow... Fingers crossed though.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Thanks - we've gone for this, although price is now £380. All repairs for 12 months (upto max £1500 value). Only problem is they cannot do the work until Monday and it gets cold tomorrow... Fingers crossed though.
    Great service from Baxi this morning. 2 hours strip-down and parts replace. Local repairer quoted £1000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

2,694Users online

Martin's Twitter