Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 499Posts
    • 1,066Thanks
    ramblehan
    Wandering on
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    Wandering on 30th Dec 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had just over a year off the forum and a huge amount has happened in that time, but it feels like the right time to dip back in. 2018 is going to be the year that turns thing around for us.

A little about me: Family of 4 living in the sticks, spending too much money on oil and logs to stay warm. We've a posse of animals too that will one day pay their own way.

2016 headlines: Financial burnout to the tune of £22k which accumulated over time due to house renovations, Unsteady income and growing expenses for childcare. Resulted in a DMP...which I self manage and is slowly decreasing.

2017 headlines:
    Moved house with the ultimate aim of helping out aged relative, changed jobs etc.
    Currently paying for 2 houses and 40 hrs childcare a week.
    Finishing off old house and moving has racked up more debts to tune of £15k. £17.3K
    Tried to sell house but first sale fell through at the last minute as buyers for cold feet.
    House sold again for £5k more (crossing fingers and hoping)
    Got much better job in December £10k payrise, DH now also on regular income

Things to look forward to in 2018:
    Selling house - we'll clear the new £15k £17.3K, and be able to bank a huge pot of cash for future house plans.
    DD will become eligible for 30 hrs free childcare.
    No mortgage and reduced childcare will mean we are £1500 a month better off. This should all kick in by April.
    Will be able to pay more off DMP as a result.

So, 2017 has been a turn around year in many respects. A lot of hard work to come but it's all to play for in 2018.

Some other facts...
    We have YNAB, and it definitely helps but I'm not living by the rules and it shows....I'm going to use YNAB better.
    Sticking to a budget is our biggest trial....
    This year as finances will be oh so better I want to get our budget balanced right so we can live comfortably as well as save and pay off more on DMP.
    Hubby never knows what there is to spend so falls back on CC so this is something I definitely want to sort...thinking a prepaid credit card with phone app instead so he can see before he spends....I'm guilty of this too though (must use YNAB better.)
    I should get a pay rise in 2018 too, but want to increase my pension to 10% as company will match it (currently it's only 5%).

And that's it for now! Will set myself some goals later...
    Last edited by ramblehan; 02-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Page 3
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Happy Friday everyone.
    Busy week - quite tired now. DD is not 100%, so we are not going swimming this morning - dodgy tummy.

Here's how I'm doing with my chores:
    Email solicitor about aerial query Done - Perhaps next week we might find out if we are ready to exchange - seems like we are closer than ever....
    Tidy drawer stack in lounge
    file the filing drawer which is overflowing
    Re-budget the month to take into account the NI payment and figure out a plan. Done but it's not looking pretty. I have had to take out £200 out of EF, so EF now stands at £420.
    Keep checking YNAB on a weekly basis as a minimum - YEP - On track
    Investigate a 'YNAB Wish Farm' - more later!
    Sort out a new electricity deal (current one ends March)
    Meal plan for this week - and try to do at least 3 meat free meals, starting from today To do today for the week to come
    Washing washing washing washing and more washing.
    New bank account opened for DH Done.

Going to go out now with DD and walk on the huge hill just down the road and get some winter sunshine warmth.
    Extra new chore for today is cleaning out the chickens.
    Printing out expense form and posting off (v important or budget won't work at all for this month!)

Money extremely tight - but then we've had final BT bill (£45), Tax Bill of £145, and water bill of £76 all come out, and paid log man £200. So basically that's our food budget swallowed!

Freezer full - only need basics for weeks to come. Thank goodness Feb is a short month!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 2nd Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I look forward on your ideas on the wish farm. I found it frustrating and gave up lol!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hi Drawing - yep that's the risk with it - but I want to learn some diligence around putting pennies away so who knows!

My plan is to capture details of things that I "want" into a wish list - in reality it won't just be things but also experiences (e.g. a nice dinner out / a massage etc) and then in the wish farm start funding 2 or 3 of them at a time. My wish farm at the moment has a Large Le Creuset cooking pot, a silk or wool duvet in it, and a Neals Yard treatment. So nothing hugely expensive but things I can chip away at and reward myself with. I'll be sweeping any change out of my YNAB categories into them so it's only if I've been good with budgets that I can add to them.
    We'll see - worth a try and if I get a few nice treats out of it, then lovely!!!

Good news this PM - looks like house sale is a goer - and they want to move quickly after exchange - which fingers crossed may happen next week. We're going to the house tomorrow to do garden tidy up and moving things out - depending on how we get on (hopefully well!) we will probably be able to do 1 more weekend and then be done - so we could be aiming the sale for about 15th Feb!! or sooner. Eek. Exciting.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 2nd Feb 18, 10:39 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Great to hear that the house sale is going through OK (fingers crossed)

Ours is not in such a great place... have told the solicitor that if it;s not sorted by next weekend then we are pulling out of selling it... they got if for a bargain price so we'll see what happens,
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 3rd Feb 18, 6:12 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 4,767 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    You are doing a great job Ramble. Loving your focus. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 3rd Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Great to hear that the house sale is going through OK (fingers crossed)

Ours is not in such a great place... have told the solicitor that if it;s not sorted by next weekend then we are pulling out of selling it... they got if for a bargain price so we'll see what happens,
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Oh no - that sounds very similar to what happened to us first time around - i think poart of the problem is the paperwork bit takes so long that people get cold feet. Wish we had the same thing as Scotland that once you say you are going to buy you have to (or pay huge fines!)

Fingers crossed for you. We got more 2nd time round (£5K more) and I actually think if it had gone back on open market it would have gone up by £10K - so you never know, it might work in your favour.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 3rd Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Oh no - that sounds very similar to what happened to us first time around - i think poart of the problem is the paperwork bit takes so long that people get cold feet. Wish we had the same thing as Scotland that once you say you are going to buy you have to (or pay huge fines!)

Fingers crossed for you. We got more 2nd time round (£5K more) and I actually think if it had gone back on open market it would have gone up by £10K - so you never know, it might work in your favour.
    Originally posted by ramblehan
    We sold it for £50,000 less that it was valued for probate as OH just couldn't tale the stress it was causing - it was bequeathed to him, but I'm the one having to sort everything out and that stressed him out more.... He keeps saying he wishes it had been left to somebody else...men! :rotfl If it goes through by the weekend then fine - if not I'll have to go and stay down there for a couple of weeks to sort things out.
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 9th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    £50K less Chyrstal - that's bonkers....but you have to do what you have to do. I hope your sale has moved on (and you've avoided the trip back up there?)
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 9th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    So - things are a moving along.
    We are talking about a completion date of 19th February - so that's positive, but we still haven't exchanged. Latest message from the solicitor was they were still not ready (but no explanation as to why?!) so sent an email asking why? She'd have saved herself sometime if she just gave me more of an explanation!!!!! Sigh. Hard work.

We've organised for the asbestos to be picked up (should be happening today) with an EVIL £666 price tag. I mean really!
    We've also decided to book a Luton van to clear remaining garden junk - very little left in the house now. All of that cost has gone on the barclaycard.

Spendingwise - I've been NAUGHTY so there's been a few unplanned expenses. Had to decrement the emergency fund substantially. Was feeling very unaware of what was happening in the accounts - not sure if I did budgets last Friday, or if i did I just promptly forgot where I was at. Anyway, feeling like a bit of a failure.

I'll update the bad news below. Got quite a few big expenses to come out (barclaycard payment, insurance etc) also still waiting for work expenses to get credited so have had to move plenty across just in case they don't come in before D/D's need to go out.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 9th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Emergency fund: £620.54
    CC LJ 0%: £7,564.23 (with £175 to come off - £7455.66)
    CC HJ 0%: £10,595.17

Total CC to clear: £18,159.40

Emergency fund: £120.54

Solicitor has just come back and said everything's OK, it's just that the agent is a bit ahead of the game! Fingers still very crossed.

I've got £96 in petrol budget, £80 in food budget. I'm expecting a child benefit on the 22nd so that will help top up food budget later on. Going to go food shopping today for bits and pieces. Or may internet shop.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 9th Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Jobs list:

file the filing drawer which is overflowing
    Sort out house file to leave in the old house
    Keep checking YNAB on a weekly basis as a minimum - Done!
    Investigate a 'YNAB Wish Farm' - Done!

Sort out a new electricity deal (current one ends March) (Come on!!!)
    Meal plan for this week - and try to do at least 3 meat free meals, starting from today (Come on!!!)

Lots of self nagging above. Feeling a bit low this week, don't know why. Work is tough - lots of big expensive decisions to make, feeling a bit overwhelmed. Maybe that's what's playing out in home budgeting. Got 2 days off end of next week so hopefully that will help get me back on track. Thinking about leaving DD at nursery and having 2 days just to myself for a recharge.
    Last edited by ramblehan; 09-02-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 10th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Yay. Post arrived this morning with a £220 tax refund from HMRC. What a nice letter to wake up to. Just finally managed to login and get it sent to may bank account.

Jobs for today include WASHING a mountain. Making soup, cooking a roast dinner and TIDYING a mountain too. DD was poorly again last night - poor lass - throwing up. So she's on crackers and water today. So far no grumbles, but we will see.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 10th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Yey to tax refund, and boo to house delays.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 14th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Happy day of love everyone. We are totally not the sort to make any type of a fuss about valentines day, so no cards, chocs, flowers here. Very MSE

So I have been horrifically poorly - not sure why or how, but came on very suddenly on Monday early hours, then spent day in bed, rushing to the loo - and feeling awful. Managed to get downstairs to get more water at 14.30 and then nearly passed out in the kitchen (not a good look) eventually struggled back to bed and stayed there all day. Nightmare work wise as had to cancel meetings.
    Next day I was marginally better and had a 1:1 with my boss - I hardly ever get to see him so was determined to do that, and thankfully I now have 2 days holidays so can recover at leisure. Still feel rough and can't really eat. Ho Hum. On the plus side, I have left DD in nursery today and am going to tomorrow too - giving me a bit of mummy guilt, but it does mean I can just feel bleugh and recover all by myself.

So far today I have walked the dog, sat on the sofa and had a long bath where I read everyone's diaries. Always inspiring, so inspired me to get out of the bath and come and do all my computer admin.

Estate agent said house may exchange today (but heard nothing from solicitors so assuming not likely!) Apparently we are still on track for 19th to complete - we will see. At least this time it does feel as if we will get there.

Going to do YNAB and then will pop back in to update with my list of stuff to do.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 14th Feb 18, 1:26 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    So bank accounts not looking good!!!

£120 of work expenses has not yet come in (usually really quick so this is annoying!) Tax return also a no show to date, but should be in by Friday.
    Also managed to make a mess up with which account I had put money into for DH's new car insurance - thought it was out of his account, so money was happily sitting there, but it came out of my account. Looks like bank then declined to pay barclaycard minimum payment (took it out but put it back in??) Checked barclaycard and it's showing as paid there, so imagine there's a lag on that. Moved money around and paid it and then have sent begging message to Barclaycard to forgive me for my mistake (and don't put a nasty marker on DH file as we are trying to keep his clean!!!!)

Cannot wait until next week, when we will literally have no credit card debt as I will pay it all off and then cut up cards. Will still have debt mind - my DMP, but this is firmly in my sight once we have are not paying for 2 houses and DD's childcare costs reduce (thank you government.)

Also cannot wait to get new bank system sorted, where all money for bills goes into household account and gets paid without being touched for anything else. Pretty much ready to go on this - Just waiting for house sale to go through and I will start moving all D/D's across.

Frustrated sighs - if I had not been poorly, I would have probably noticed this earlier......ANNOYED.COM.

We've decided to put a emergency buffer into the household account to begin with - and we will be doing an emergency fund saving every month, and saving up plenty of pennies so I can pay insurance policies annually - so this WILL be a thing of the past as we should always be ahead of things.

Other jobs I need to do now:
    Get quotes for business insurance for DH new job and smallholder insurance
    Organise meeting for DH with an accountant as he needs to figure out how to manage his self employed stuff with farm business
    Cancel this strange energy thing I signed up to which is trying to switch me and I don't want to switch

Sort out paperwork to leave at the old house
    Faff around with YNAB to organise new budgets for post house sale (a nice to do)

Did do our paperwork and filing over the weekend, so that's good.
    Other things to remember coming up
    - Renew DH's passport - it's cheaper if you do it before March when price goes up,
    - extend redirection and change some addresses from old house.
    - Cancel old house insurance policy (hopefully if we sell on 19th, the new policy won;t have started yet so that's good)
    - Need to do a jobs list for when we are at old house for final time on Saturday (e.g take meter readings etc) - Want to leave them a card and a bottle of fizz to say thanks for buying at the asking price.
    Last edited by ramblehan; 14-02-2018 at 3:00 PM.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 15th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Yay - HMRC money came in today.
    Balance looking healthier.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 15th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ramblehan
    and Double Yay - looks like we are exchanging today!!!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 15th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 4,767 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    This is very exciting Ramble. All going in the right direction money-wise. Just hope you feel better soon and dan enjoy it. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 15th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Exciting times!

And do not feel guilty about leaving DD in nursery when you are poorly. I remember times being so I'll with d&v when the big two were small I had to call hubby home, once when they were 4&5 I kept them off school (yr1&yrR) as I couldn't physically get them there and the baby was 6months old, had to call hubby home as I actually couldn't pick the baby up he got home and I was lying on the floor on my back with a bucket trying to breastfeed nowadays if I am sick like that all the kids stay home and the big two (12&13) can entertain the little two and make dinner and stuff. Luckily it is rare, but it's the kind of illness i do in style. I can deal with colds, coughs etc, power through, with d&v I need to be in bed for 24hrs.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 15th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I'm coming out of lurkdom to comment!

I send my youngest two to nursery between Christmas and New year as I look on it as I have paid for it, so I will use the spaces. This year it also gave me some time to myself as the oldest four were at their dads. So don't feel guilty at all!

Also very exciting times with house sales and tax refunds.

I used to live in France and we had a smallholding with chickens, sheep, ducks, pigs and pygmy goats. I loved it especially seeing the lambs being born. I miss it now being in a town but there's more to do for the kids here.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    Feb 2018 £6955.3669.88% paid
    Emergency fund £400/£600
    Total Savings £1125.79
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

375Posts Today

4,101Users online

Martin's Twitter