Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 5,973Posts
    • 31,463Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary. 30th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    2018 is almost upon us and is set to be the year I get my finances in order.

So, what's changed since the start, middle, end of my last diary?
    - Regular income is up
    - Gained some knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet to budget
    - In a much better position to make steps towards positive change
    - My wife and I are working as a team
    - Unless anything drastically changes our son is staying at the local school

What do I want to achieve?
    - Regular and realistic amounts to savings each month
    - Make the mortgage payment up to £1,000 each month
    - Get a better rate on our mortgage
    - Get rid of a lot of things we don't need ... OK that's business as usual
    - Finish the house and consider our options (staying in current house or using the equity to move somewhere new - not to my childhood home and if I mention this, please feel free to point me to this starting post)
    - Monthly targets for both financial and personal goals
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77
    Mortgage Overpayments £250

Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 9
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 6,116 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    newgirly
    It's similar to the bathroom in the film the shining, tried to get it for our bathroom in green but it was impossible (much to dh's joy!).

Was it worth the money there Alex?
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£7,386.01 paid so far

Mortgage £40,818 4yrs 3mths left. Total owed £54,603.99 plan to clear in 14 months
    Weight loss target 2018- 21lb /4.5 lost
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    When I win the lottery I will pay off my mortgage & have a new conservatory
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Sounds very modest, Beanie. I take it you live in a place you don't want to move from?

If I played and won the lottery which from looking at the website would make me £11.3M richer I would invest £10M into various projects risk-free as the money was won rather than earnt or inherited. The other £1.3M would be put with the equity from this house to buy another house and an Aston Martin.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    It's similar to the bathroom in the film the shining, tried to get it for our bathroom in green but it was impossible (much to dh's joy!).

Was it worth the money there Alex?
    Originally posted by newgirly
    I think you'd have loved my old bathroom, NG.

Yes, it was wonderful. I wasn't so well when we went, it was a highlight event in a very dark time of my life.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Another good day had. No sales or savings made, work stays interesting, stimulating and providing something new to learn everyday. Pub meal tonight which I think we need to cut down. Parents have gone to Spain, was worth celebrating.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    When I win the lottery I will pay off my mortgage & have a new conservatory
    When I win it I'm going to Antarctica!

(Really must start buying tickets I suppose!)

Glad to hear you've had a good day Alex, sounds like a pub meal was definitely in order!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 50,686 Posts
    • 194,119 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am very lucky.
    I live in a wee bungalow adapted just for me.
    So, no, would be happy to stay here
    Oh & buy DS a house
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,088 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A modern detached house, bathroom upstairs, shower room downstairs, attached garage. Attached greenhouse at the back of the garage.

Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 10,889 Posts
    • 58,141 Thanks
    edinburgher
    See, I liked all the art deco bits of that kitchen, but I felt that the modern elements sat awkwardly with them. I'm sure Alex can manage a better synthesis if he goes for 30s meets modern

Edit: as for the wife story - oh God - how awkward to hear those sorts of comments from her creeper colleagues Let's raise our sons to behave better, eh Alex?
    Last edited by edinburgher; 07-02-2018 at 8:37 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,088 Thanks
    Karmacat
    PM asks if we both know each other. Anyway, went for lunch with Mrs. K. after the meeting, so had a really good work day, apart from a few people saying a few crude things about my wife before we 'met'.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Edit: as for the wife story - oh God - how awkward to hear those sorts of comments from her creeper colleagues Let's raise our sons to behave better, eh Alex?
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Oh good grief, I missed that sentence first time round, had to go back to excavate it

Was there any sort of shame or regret when they realised this was your wife they were speaking about? I'm guessing not ...
    Retired August 2016
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 7th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 16,435 Posts
    • 108,612 Thanks
    gallygirl
    You can have the Cunard room GG , I'm in the Malcolm Campbell room with lovely pink bath everybody else will have to fight over the other rooms
    Originally posted by newgirly

Suite gives you a sitting room with a stunning view, Gally.
    I chose the Cunard as it has a rather fine balcony which you are all welcome to join me on .
    Bring along the champers Alex, there's a good chap .
    NG you can bring the nuts .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 7th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 16,435 Posts
    • 108,612 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Let's raise our sons to behave better, eh Alex?
    Em..... something you're not telling us Ed ?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 7th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 3,051 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    I chose the Cunard as it has a rather fine balcony which you are all welcome to join me on .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Knock my door as you go past please, I will be in the Amy Johnson rooms I think
    Flapper Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 50,686 Posts
    • 194,119 Thanks
    beanielou
    Alex~~Have you heard from Ali-OK at all by any chance?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Had a really busy week. Shouldn't be up this late on a Sunday either.

No extra money made this week either.

When I win it I'm going to Antarctica!

(Really must start buying tickets I suppose!)

Glad to hear you've had a good day Alex, sounds like a pub meal was definitely in order!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Why Antarctica? I'm quite intrigued.

Had too many meals out this week. Need to start cooking more.

I am very lucky.
    I live in a wee bungalow adapted just for me.
    So, no, would be happy to stay here
    Oh & buy DS a house
    That's brilliant. Always wonder if I will find somewhere I would indefinitely be happy to stay. Not unhappy about where we are at the moment (well, there's a surprise for everyone ) but just cannot see my wife and I being here for an indefinite period of time.

A modern detached house, bathroom upstairs, shower room downstairs, attached garage. Attached greenhouse at the back of the garage.

Originally posted by Karmacat
    Where you live, Karmacat?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 12th Feb 18, 12:46 AM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    See, I liked all the art deco bits of that kitchen, but I felt that the modern elements sat awkwardly with them. I'm sure Alex can manage a better synthesis if he goes for 30s meets modern

Thank you for having faith in me, Ed.

I'd agree re. the kitchen. To be honest, I was drawn in by the burr walnut against crisp white. Can't see anything deco or more modern being created here, though. I'm currently planning a simple cabinet design in natural oak with a light marble top. Top quality materials but executed in a simple fashion. Would be very tempted to pick something much more exotic in style were I taking on the project in the property my parents live in. The room would lend itself to something more bold and it wouldn't be 'try hard'. Certain designs and certain pieces of furniture I like requires a rather imposing house for them to work. We don't live in such a place which is probably one of the reasons I want to move away. Once the kitchen is done I will have taken this place as far as I wanted to. Had the right pieces of furniture for the house and seen it come together over a long period of time. Lots of memories: wonderful ones and terrible ones I suppose I'd quite like to "run away" from. Will likely both look fondly on this place and wish to erase it from my memory in years to come for vastly different reasons.

Would not be pleased to hear my son (in many years) behaving in such a manner at all. Mind, I would not have been able to sit down for days had my parents caught me saying anything they would deem crass about the opposite sex.

Oh good grief, I missed that sentence first time round, had to go back to excavate it

Was there any sort of shame or regret when they realised this was your wife they were speaking about? I'm guessing not ...
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    One was absolutely mortified. Another told me I'm a "lucky man" so I don't think he really cared.

Do I have that much a reputation for Champagne, Gally?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 12th Feb 18, 12:48 AM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Em..... something you're not telling us Ed ?
    I did also wonder but he did say they were staying as a family of three, IIRC.

Knock my door as you go past please, I will be in the Amy Johnson rooms I think
    Flapper Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    See you there, Daisy.

Alex~~Have you heard from Ali-OK at all by any chance?
    Unfortunately not. Sent a PM and also one after not receiving a response but to no avail.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 50,686 Posts
    • 194,119 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good week AlexLK.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,088 Thanks
    Karmacat
    "A modern detached house, bathroom upstairs, shower room downstairs, attached garage. Attached greenhouse at the back of the garage. "

Where you live, Karmacat?
    Quite a long way south of you - mid Sussex! Where the kind of house I'm describing would cost about £600k. My house is about half that, on a good day, its an ex-council place. When I wrote about the detached place, we were competing on what to spend a lottery win, weren't we? I still was, anyway
    Retired August 2016
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

Why Antarctica? I'm quite intrigued.
    Penguins, whales, glaciers, clear skies to see the milky way!

Its crazy expensive though, its highly likely I will never be able to do it.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 13th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 31,463 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thanks, Beanie. Not a bad week so far.

Karmacat, can!!!8217;t imagine paying c. £300,000 for an ex-council house, to be honest. I think something is going to happen to the property market in the long term as this surely cannot be sustainable. On another note, how do people live in new builds? Working on a residential conversion project at the moment (not my own, that has decent room sizes) and the master bedroom is planned to be 2.7m wide. I raised the point it!!!8217;s hardly big enough to walk around a bed but apparently is a common size in a new build?! No idea who buys them, to be honest.

Red squirrel, if it!!!8217;s something you really want to do it is worth spending the money, in my opinion.

ETA: what!!!8217;s going on when I post on my iPad with apostrophes?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,486Users online

Martin's Twitter