Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 5,970Posts
    • 31,454Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary. 30th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    2018 is almost upon us and is set to be the year I get my finances in order.

So, what's changed since the start, middle, end of my last diary?
    - Regular income is up
    - Gained some knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet to budget
    - In a much better position to make steps towards positive change
    - My wife and I are working as a team
    - Unless anything drastically changes our son is staying at the local school

What do I want to achieve?
    - Regular and realistic amounts to savings each month
    - Make the mortgage payment up to £1,000 each month
    - Get a better rate on our mortgage
    - Get rid of a lot of things we don't need ... OK that's business as usual
    - Finish the house and consider our options (staying in current house or using the equity to move somewhere new - not to my childhood home and if I mention this, please feel free to point me to this starting post)
    - Monthly targets for both financial and personal goals
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77
    Mortgage Overpayments £250

Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 8
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,059 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh, marble instead of granite. Me likeeee
    Retired August 2016
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 5th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Yes, I finally slept well last night. Had a great day today: work, Mrs. K. came home from work early so we could walk the dog together as a family and a nice dinner.

There!!!8217;s a lot of things I!!!8217;d like to move on. We have started to look at kitchen options and think about what type of wood we would like our cabinets to be. Current favourite is natural oak with a polished marble top. However, I do like this deco effort: https://www.smithandsmith.com.au/deco-kitchen/ don!!!8217;t think our house would take it, though.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    THAT IS A LOVELY KITCHEN !!! I ADORE art deco stuff (have just bought myself ANOTHER art deco design book which I gave to Mr d to give me for my birthday and I am so EXCITED to open it and start reading). I went American diner for my kitchen but my 1930s house would really be suited to make it more art deco 30s rather than suburban 30s. Page bookmarked for future drooling cheers Alex

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 5th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 16,435 Posts
    • 108,605 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I do like this deco effort: https://www.smithandsmith.com.au/deco-kitchen/ don!!!8217;t think our house would take it, though.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    THAT IS A LOVELY KITCHEN !!! I ADORE art deco stuff (have just bought myself ANOTHER art deco design book which I gave to Mr d to give me for my birthday and I am so EXCITED to open it and start reading). I went American diner for my kitchen but my 1930s house would really be suited to make it more art deco 30s rather than suburban 30s. Page bookmarked for future drooling cheers Alex

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    When I win the euro millions (note to self - start buying a ticket ) I want a kitchen like that in my modern Art Deco style house. With this staircase. And this window is going somewhere. Maybe in the pool room . It will be such a wonderful house that when people see it (from the clifftop walk that goes quite, but not too, close by ), they will look at it and smile at its beauty .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 19,350 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    When I win the euro millions (note to self - start buying a ticket ) I want a kitchen like that in my modern Art Deco style house. With this staircase. And this window is going somewhere. Maybe in the pool room . It will be such a wonderful house that when people see it (from the clifftop walk that goes quite, but not too, close by ), they will look at it and smile at its beauty .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I the herringbone pattern floor in that window pic gallygirl
    MFiT T4 #2 update 51.75% after Q8 £5,203 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after Jan £634.93/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £238.47/£3,500 including stores so far
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,059 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh my. Okay, I had to follow the links after Daisy and Gally were both so enthusiastic. And I see what you mean. The kitchen, Alex, looks like it belongs on an oceangoing liner from the 30s, it looks *so* beautiful! And I remembered the art deco house on the front at Southport http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/69050787.jpg which isn't as spectacular, but its a living breathing house.
    Retired August 2016
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 6th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Oh these links are amazing. I can't decide if I want to live in the houses or opposite them so I can see them every day. Love love love. Might have to go off and watch a poirot so I can dream..............

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 19,350 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I always coveted one of these flats when we lived near Southend-on-Sea http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/11k/10117/31580556/10117_3343A_AE005525_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.JPG They are on the cliffs above the seafront
    MFiT T4 #2 update 51.75% after Q8 £5,203 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after Jan £634.93/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £238.47/£3,500 including stores so far
    My DFD is here
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 6th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    This deserves more than just being able to 'thank' it what a beautiful wee scenario to describe : and just for good luck

Daisy xx

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 6,114 Posts
    • 42,230 Thanks
    newgirly
    Some lovely piictures there GG. Has anyone heard of the Burgh island hotel in Devon? Poirot was filmed there, my parents have stayed and said it's a real Deco step back in time, tuxedos for dinner, no TVs's and modern stuff. I'd love to go but maybe when mf
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£3769.26 paid so far

Mortgage £43,856 4yrs 4 mths left. Total owed £58,228.74 planning to clear in 15 months
    Weight loss target 2018- 21lb /5 lb lost
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 6th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Some lovely piictures there GG. Has anyone heard of the Burgh island hotel in Devon? Poirot was filmed there, my parents have stayed and said it's a real Deco step back in time, tuxedos for dinner, no TVs's and modern stuff. I'd love to go but maybe when mf
    Originally posted by newgirly
    It's on my list for when the dog goes, burgh island, portmeiron, Portugal and Disney world then back home to get more dogs and no holidays for another 12 years

Dxx

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 6th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 16,435 Posts
    • 108,605 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Oh my. Okay, I had to follow the links after Daisy and Gally were both so enthusiastic. And I see what you mean. The kitchen, Alex, looks like it belongs on an oceangoing liner from the 30s, it looks *so* beautiful! And I remembered the art deco house on the front at Southport http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/69050787.jpg which isn't as spectacular, but its a living breathing house.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Oh what a beautiful house KC .

"Adds to Bucket List" . I'll have the
    LARGE DOUBLE (CUNARD)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 6th Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    I can see an mse meet up at burgh island

Daisy xxx

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 31,454 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Nice kitchen Alex, I think you can get away with much more mixing of eras and styles nowadays.
    Thanks, NG. I'm not sure about mixing eras and styles, to be honest even if I could get away with it.

Ooh, marble instead of granite. Me likeeee
    . I try to think about what materials I want to use as much as the design.

Daisy xx
    Thanks, Daisy. Glad to hear you like it.

Next time you should give your husband a few to choose from, at least you'll get a surprise that way.

'30's house without a deco kitchen requires a change, I think.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 6,464 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    It's on my list for when the dog goes, burgh island, portmeiron, Portugal and Disney world then back home to get more dogs and no holidays for another 12 years

Dxx
    Ah, I'll look after your dogs! Or do a dog swap with a friend and you have theirs when they go away.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6,114 Posts
    • 42,230 Thanks
    newgirly
    You can have the Cunard room GG , I'm in the Malcolm Campbell room with lovely pink bath everybody else will have to fight over the other rooms
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£3769.26 paid so far

Mortgage £43,856 4yrs 4 mths left. Total owed £58,228.74 planning to clear in 15 months
    Weight loss target 2018- 21lb /5 lb lost
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 31,454 Thanks
    AlexLK

Like the window and the house in different settings. However, the staircase ... .

I the herringbone pattern floor in that window pic gallygirl
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Agree the parquet flooring looks good in that setting but it reminds me of the flooring in the ugliest buildings in my old senior school.

It's wonderful. Don't believe it's right for my setting but I appreciate it nevertheless.

I love to see buildings from different eras with features intended to be there.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 50,636 Posts
    • 193,852 Thanks
    beanielou
    When I win the lottery I will pay off my mortgage & have a new conservatory
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 31,454 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Oh these links are amazing. I can't decide if I want to live in the houses or opposite them so I can see them every day. Love love love. Might have to go off and watch a poirot so I can dream..............

Daisy xx
    Live in to appreciate the interior as well as the exterior features, Daisy.

I always coveted one of these flats when we lived near Southend-on-Sea http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/11k/10117/31580556/10117_3343A_AE005525_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.JPG They are on the cliffs above the seafront
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I've always craved a sea view but I suppose that's what living in the middle of the country does.

This deserves more than just being able to 'thank' it what a beautiful wee scenario to describe : and just for good luck

Daisy xx
    Think you've made Daisy's week. Gally.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 31,454 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Mrs. K. and I have been there and can attest it is worth visiting.

Dxx
    Do you not have a friend to look after your dog?

Oh what a beautiful house KC .

"Adds to Bucket List" . I'll have the
    LARGE DOUBLE (CUNARD)
    Suite gives you a sitting room with a stunning view, Gally.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 31,454 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I can see an mse meet up at burgh island

Daisy xxx
    So, you're suggesting we all meet at Burgh Island for a dodgy hug, Daisy?

Ah, I'll look after your dogs! Or do a dog swap with a friend and you have theirs when they go away.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    There you go.

You can have the Cunard room GG , I'm in the Malcolm Campbell room with lovely pink bath everybody else will have to fight over the other rooms
    Knew you'd choose the pink bath, NG.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,900Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter