Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 5,968Posts
    • 31,445Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary. 30th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    2018 is almost upon us and is set to be the year I get my finances in order.

So, what's changed since the start, middle, end of my last diary?
    - Regular income is up
    - Gained some knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet to budget
    - In a much better position to make steps towards positive change
    - My wife and I are working as a team
    - Unless anything drastically changes our son is staying at the local school

What do I want to achieve?
    - Regular and realistic amounts to savings each month
    - Make the mortgage payment up to £1,000 each month
    - Get a better rate on our mortgage
    - Get rid of a lot of things we don't need ... OK that's business as usual
    - Finish the house and consider our options (staying in current house or using the equity to move somewhere new - not to my childhood home and if I mention this, please feel free to point me to this starting post)
    - Monthly targets for both financial and personal goals
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77
    Mortgage Overpayments £250

Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 10
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 28,540 Posts
    • 160,971 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Alex, £300k is just what prices are in the SE of England. I used to live and work in Brighton, and I owned two houses there, in the roads right next to the ones in these links:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52892793.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52771401.html

The semi is built into the hillside, they all are in that area, it gives rise to lovely quirky properties - my house there had a three storey hallway, simply to take account of the slope. But that gave away a *lot* of space that should have gone to the rooms.

/end rant
    Retired August 2016
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 13th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 42,195 Thanks
    newgirly
    It's as always down to location, ours is not an ex council house but I would much rather that than a pretty house in a location I didn't like as much. Undofrtunatly in London you sometimes don't get either

Can't speak for the rest of the country but house prices are up 22% in our borough for the last two years (looked this up to frighten Dd and boyfriend into saving more!) there are a never ending stream of rich people, I would love be to know what they all do for a living, mostly its stockbrokers and bankers it seems.
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£3769.26 paid so far

Mortgage £43,856 4yrs 4 mths left. Total owed £58,228.74 planning to clear in 15 months
    Weight loss target 2018- 21lb /5 lb lost
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

Red squirrel, if it's something you really want to do it is worth spending the money, in my opinion.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Oh Alex, bless you! We don't all have pens lying around worth thousands of pounds!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,500 Thanks
    beanielou
    Alex~~I think sometimes people buy these new buids as that's what they can afford.
    Also people want to be to able to say they have xx bedooms & xx ensuites blah blah.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 19,277 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

ETA: what!!!8217;s going on when I post on my iPad with apostrophes?
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Apparently it is a smart punctuation setting you need to turn off in settings (keyboard) and is an IOS11 issue - it hasn't affected me yet so I can't give you clear instructions. There is a thread on the site feedback area that makes some suggestions. Rumour has it the same tweaking that resulted in thousands of change password prompts also triggered this
    MFiT T4 #2 update 51.75% after Q8 £5,203 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after Jan £634.93/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £238.47/£3,500 including stores so far
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10,885 Posts
    • 58,075 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Alex, agree that new builds are on the cramped side at the more affordable end of the market, but that's just the country we live in (rabbit hutch Britain)!

Despite their lack of charm and space on occasion, I'd argue that a well built new build property is superior to most of what has gone before. They are easier to maintain. I'm sure you hate PVC, but windows, gutters and fascias etc. last decades without any maintenance being required, insulation is a good thing and they probably promote better health as they are warm, secure and draft free...

You also have to remember that there are polar extremes in the new build market, from rabbit hutches to McMansions. I have seen some very nice new builds for people with deeper pockets. For example, I looked at an advert for massive new builds in a Scottish coastal location (a wee bit out of the way). 5 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, massive 2 car garage, library and large open plan living areas. Not bad for £400k.
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 20th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    I would rather live in a an old house, Alex, but I know people who would refuse to buy old. I imagine they worry about maintenance and assume that there would be less on a new build.

I dislike them, personally, but I guess if it was the difference between being able to buy and not, I'd suck it up.

*Watches tumbleweed blow by*

Hey! Where is everyone?
    Original debt to source: £11,640.02; debt repaid: £6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: £5439. 01.
    0% CC balance: £4999.10 then £4999.67 now £4886.20.

Terrimundi: £22.00

• daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 20th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 3,012 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    I'm still popping in <echo, o, o, o>>>>

Daisy !!!55357;!!!56842;
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,500 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all is well.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 21st Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 5,968 Posts
    • 31,445 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Hi everyone

Will try to respond properly tomorrow as it is late and I need to sleep.

Not been on MSE for a few days. Things have been busy both at work and home. Unfortunately, my son is having some trouble at school with a couple of other children. This has been something which has been somewhat ongoing but has become more problematic extending into half term as they live in the village and my son went to another child's house to play. My son isn't entirely innocent after telling the rest of the school something my mother had said about this particular family which I hadn't realised my son had heard. I've tried to speak to one of the parents. However, they've long decided they dislike me after I made a flippant comment which was meant to be a joke but they didn't take as such and could make someone perceive I hold negative views about this particular family. This has been on my mind every evening, so not been the best company over the last few days.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £4568.77
    Mortgage Overpayments £250

Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

267Posts Today

2,420Users online

Martin's Twitter