Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 4suzie
    • By 4suzie 30th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 122Posts
    • 35Thanks
    4suzie
    Price wrongly
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    Price wrongly 30th Dec 17 at 10:42 AM
    I have just been to Morrisons and bought some frozen king prawns priced £3 luckily I checked my receipt and I had been charged £5 for them, I looked again at the shelf where I got them from and there was a price ticket for £3 but on reading the price ticket it was not for the king prawns that I had bought but some other prawns even though there wasn't any of the £3 prawns on the shelf only the £5 prawns.

So all in all it seems they have been stacked wrongly and the price hadn't been replaced by the right price.

My question is would Morrisons be obliged to give them to me at the price shown £3 or is it ok to just say they have been put in the wrong place they are still £5.

The reason I am mostly annoyed is the attitude of the person I spoke but that's another story.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 30th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 15,658 Posts
    • 39,473 Thanks
    elsien
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    Even if it was a misprice, which it isn't, there is no obligation to offer the lower price. As it is, you failed to read the labels correctly and picked up the wrong thing by mistake. That's down to you so no they won't give the lower price.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 30th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 15,745 Posts
    • 11,591 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    If it’s a genuine shelf edge label been put in the wrong place I’d have taken a photo and rung customer services.
    If it’s a matter that the other prawns were sold out and you’ve assumed, I’d do nothing.
    My few experiences with Morrison’s customer service have been very poor.
    • 4suzie
    • By 4suzie 30th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    4suzie
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    Thanks for your advice I will have to be more careful next time, if it looks to be a bargain I will double check.
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 30th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    Thanks for your advice I will have to be more careful next time, if it looks to be a bargain I will double check.
    Originally posted by 4suzie
    In my experience Morrisons often make mistakes with positioning of their price label / position of the reduced item.
    I have often found the reduced item is either below or above the price labels.

When this happens to me I take it back to the customer service counter and tell them I have picked them by mistake, have always had a refund.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 30th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 30th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    In Morrisons, in fact in all supermarkets, I always check my receipt before I leave the store. Itís surprising how many errors I find. Sometimes my own fault when, like you, I have picked up the wrong item but not always.

I then go to customer services to get the error rectified. In your case I would have returned the item and got a refund.

It takes very little time to check the receipt but definitely worth doing.
    • Vikipollard
    • By Vikipollard 31st Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Vikipollard
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    Supermarkets are renowned for doing this; deliberately placing a similar item to the one which is on offer on the shelf, and relying on customers to not notice or just suck up the price difference. It's often the same name of product, but a different size to the offer one.

Usually there is a space on the shelf where the actual item should be. They aren't technically doing anything wrong. Morally, however....

Clearly I have been caught by this myself. But only once. I now look at EVERY detail of the "offer" and the product which appears to be nearby to be sure they are one and the same.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 ..
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250, Aug 17 28974 Nov 17 27066 Jan 18 25788
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 31st Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    Supermarkets are renowned for doing this; deliberately placing a similar item to the one which is on offer on the shelf, and relying on customers to not notice or just suck up the price difference. It's often the same name of product, but a different size to the offer one.

Usually there is a space on the shelf where the actual item should be. They aren't technically doing anything wrong. Morally, however....

Clearly I have been caught by this myself. But only once. I now look at EVERY detail of the "offer" and the product which appears to be nearby to be sure they are one and the same.
    Originally posted by Vikipollard
    Why would they "deliberately" do this - to annoy their customers? I suspect that it's actually the shelf-stackers being human beings and occasionnaly making the odd error.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 31st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 18,977 Posts
    • 43,828 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 31st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    Why would they "deliberately" do this - to annoy their customers? I suspect that it's actually the shelf-stackers being human beings and occasionnaly making the odd error.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    And customers picking up things then putting them back in the wrong place when they see something similar on offer!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 31st Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 30,611 Posts
    • 19,360 Thanks
    DCFC79

Its not purpose though, mistakes are made. Imo majority of the time its just down to human error, a ticket was missed out or wrong ticket was swapped for a slightly identical item.

The time the member of staff has to change the tickets possibly doesn't help as they have a lost of other jobs to do.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 1st Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I have just been to Morrisons and bought some frozen king prawns priced £3 luckily I checked my receipt and I had been charged £5 for them, I looked again at the shelf where I got them from and there was a price ticket for £3 but on reading the price ticket it was not for the king prawns that I had bought but some other prawns even though there wasn't any of the £3 prawns on the shelf only the £5 prawns.
    Originally posted by 4suzie
    Sainsburyís have been doing this sort of thing for YEARS. Iím told they also like putting yellow stickers on the front of the item but NOT over the barcode. Wonder how many people have paid full price for a YS item!
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 1st Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 6,505 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict

Don't be silly
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • robin58
    • By robin58 2nd Jan 18, 2:31 AM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    robin58
    Sainsburyís have been doing this sort of thing for YEARS. Iím told they also like putting yellow stickers on the front of the item but NOT over the barcode. Wonder how many people have paid full price for a YS item!
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Well at my Sainsburys they do put the secondary barcode over the real barcode.

But I go have the problem you mentioned at a local Tesco Express. If I pickup more than about 5 YS I always go to a manned till and not bother with the self service.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 2nd Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    badmemory
    Don't ever try to buy cheap(ish) toilet rolls from Tesco. It may show a really reduced price on mysuopermarket but they don't even have a space where the stock would have been, even if they did last week before the price was reduced.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 2nd Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 11,735 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    unholyangel
    If it was a one off, nothing is wrong with it.

However if they do it as a standard practice then it would likely amount to a misleading practice as being likely to deceive your average customer. I don't believe most people do check the details, but I would say it would be a pretty perfect customer to check the price, price per volume/weight and also that the name corresponds exactly to the item on the shelf (particularly when some supermarket abbreviate the names).

As for not thinking shops would deliberately do this....the entire layout of the store, the placement of its offers etc are designed to get you to buy as much as possible. They need to provide the price per volume/weight because they've previously been found to use misleading advertising particularly with regard to special offers. The reason we have laws about trading practices/advertising etc is not because retailers were being honest & upfront.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 2nd Jan 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I think it can be very confusing when the items themselves don't have a price marked on them - just a barcode. In several of our local supermarkets it can be very difficult to tell which prices apply to particular items of produce if the price tickets are not perfectly aligned with the products - especially if other shoppers have moved items around or they weren't stacked properly in the first place.
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 4th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    If you really want to be sure, the shelf edge label has the barcode of the product printed on it (certainly in Tesco, it does). It's written under the barcode on the label. Just check if the last 4 digits on the product match the last 4 digits on the label. If they don't, you've got the wrong product.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 4th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Choose a supermarket where you can self-scan. That way you are able to verify the price of every single item as you do your shop, rather than relying upon your memory at checkout.
    • 4suzie
    • By 4suzie 5th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    4suzie
    I totally agree with you CardinalWolsey it's a shame there are not many self-scan shops near me only Tesco.
    • bubblesbonbon
    • By bubblesbonbon 6th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,876 Thanks
    bubblesbonbon
    On Line Customer Feedback
    I was recently hacked off due to a local Morrisons store displaying incorrect prices on the shelf labels so I complained on line here -

https://my.morrisons.com/help/?clkInTab=ContactUs&utm_source=Groceries&utm_mediu m=Internal&utm_campaign=HeaderTab

I received a phone call later from a very polite gentleman who told me that he been on touch with the store manager who had corrected the label.
    He also credited my reward card with £5 worth of points.

However, a week later the shelf labels were still incorrect!
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,886Users online

Martin's Twitter