Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 30th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 32,266Posts
    • 118,831Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well! I never knew that!
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    Well! I never knew that! 30th Dec 17 at 9:59 AM
    I was googling the difference between nuts and seeds, when I came across a reference to cashew nuts and how they grew!

I was so surprised! "Well!", I said, "I never knew that!"

I don't know what I expected, as I'd never thought about it before. That in itself was strange, as I've been eating cashews for years and years.

Maybe I just assumed they grew in pods like peanuts, but they don't!

They start to grow on the ends of flowers which turn into yellow or red pear-shaped cashew "apples".
    They grow inside a case which has an irritant chemical on it to stop animals eating it. This is removed by proper roasting of the cashews.

Apparently the cashew apples are also edible, but being very soft, do not travel well. They can be made into a refreshing drink.

It got me wondering what you may have come across, little gems of info about things you have taken for granted for years without knowing the true facts about them.

Do tell!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
Page 4
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 5th Jan 18, 12:03 AM
    • 15,059 Posts
    • 128,695 Thanks
    zagubov
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    That's intriguing- I didn't realise
    1- the ban was about twice as old as I thought and
    2- there were that many exceptions this century.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jan 18, 12:14 AM
    • 9,645 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Are you sure they are not Alpacas?
    Originally posted by Apoorwoman
    Ah, now, I guess they could be. Not 100% sure what the difference is.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 5th Jan 18, 2:11 AM
    • 40,713 Posts
    • 81,301 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Mrs MbW's family never asked me for a dowry before she married me...

Just thought I'd throw that in there
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    My Aunt and Uncle never asked me for a dowry. Well my family would have ended up paying ourselves do it so it was pointless. Anyway, I was buying the marital home all by myself. I was however offered both of my cousins by my Aunt as a job lot. I am so very glad that I only wanted the one.

Ah, now, I guess they could be. Not 100% sure what the difference is.
    The spelling.

Fortunately the animals themselves are aware of any other differences.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Jan 18, 5:40 AM
    • 32,266 Posts
    • 118,831 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Are you sure they are not Alpacas?
    Originally posted by Apoorwoman

There are more differences between them, and also the related animals, guanaco and vicuna...........
    http://saexpeditions.com/blog/post/know-your-camelid-is-it-a-llama-alpaca-guanaco-or-vicuna
    https://www.inkari-alpaca.com/en/blogs/thealpacablog/10-differences-between-llamas-and-alpacas/

(Annoying spelling mistake in the picture!)
    Last edited by Pyxis; 05-01-2018 at 5:44 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 9,645 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Thanks. I think they must be Alpacas, then. Each animal is one single colour, though across the herd they vary from beige to dark brown.

Your pic begs more questions, though. I wonder what tricks alpacas can learn? Three card monte? Unicycling? I am officially intrigued.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 05-01-2018 at 8:49 AM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 5th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 4,295 Thanks
    Izadora
    The international telephone area code for Antarctica is 672.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    The international code when calling Thailand mobiles is 666
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 9,645 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The new Crossrail trains will be 650 feet long. That's around two-thirds longer than a typical Tube train.

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    • 32,266 Posts
    • 118,831 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Thanks. I think they must be Alpacas, then. Each animal is one single colour, though across the herd they vary from beige to dark brown.

Your pic begs more questions, though. I wonder what tricks alpacas can learn? Three card monte? Unicycling? I am officially intrigued.
    Some things alpacas can be trained to do......
    https://modernfarmer.com/2015/09/alpaca-training/

They were also shown in TV recently, being taken into an old people's home as PAT animals.
    Interestingly, they are very easy to litter train, and one animal started making squeaky noises when it needed a wee, so the handler took it outside, and then brought it back in again.

The old folk responded very well to the alpacas.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 9,645 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Thanks - that's fascinating.

Here are some show-jumping rabbits:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM9YWm6T_hc

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 5th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    -40F is the same as -40C
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.6
    Total so far - 142.6
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 5th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 11,823 Posts
    • 15,620 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    -40F is the same as -40C
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I knew that, thanks to reviewer SF Debris (he used to be a teacher before he turned his hand to internet reviewing)
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 5th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 11,823 Posts
    • 15,620 Thanks
    MothballsWallet

There are more differences between them, and also the related animals, guanaco and vicuna...........
    http://saexpeditions.com/blog/post/know-your-camelid-is-it-a-llama-alpaca-guanaco-or-vicuna
    https://www.inkari-alpaca.com/en/blogs/thealpacablog/10-differences-between-llamas-and-alpacas/

(Annoying spelling mistake in the picture!)
    Be very careful spelling the emboldened word otherwise you'll get a load of bat poop!
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 32,266 Posts
    • 118,831 Thanks
    Pyxis
    -40F is the same as -40C
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I thought the post about absolute zero was good, but that's equally fascinating.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• vansboy
    • By vansboy 5th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 6,104 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    vansboy
    61 F = 16 C (very very close actually)

VB
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 6th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 13,248 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    -Electric Kettles are much, much rarer in the USA than in Europe (because with their power system, it would take around 8 minutes to boil one).
    I always wondered why you never see an electric kettle on US shows! Is that maybe why they’re not so keen on tea? (8 mins for a cuppa? I’d die of thirst!!)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 9,645 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I always wondered why you never see an electric kettle on US shows! Is that maybe why they’re not so keen on tea? (8 mins for a cuppa? I’d die of thirst!!)
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    I think yes, it definitely favours the coffee-pot standing on the stove rather than the kettle and teapot route to refreshment.

However, I've also seen comments from Americans that the cause and effect are the other way around: that kettles are not favoured because Americans generally prefer coffee.

• zagubov
    • By zagubov 6th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 15,059 Posts
    • 128,695 Thanks
    zagubov
    I think yes, it definitely favours the coffee-pot standing on the stove rather than the kettle and teapot route to refreshment.

However, I've also seen comments from Americans that the cause and effect are the other way around: that kettles are not favoured because Americans generally prefer coffee.
    The US power supply is so different from ours, it's uneconomical to have a national grid or bury most of the power lines which is why American street scenes contain masses of overhead cabling. They have to have transformers on telegraph poles close to their houses and they're used to regular power cuts during thunderstorms.

As for tea, most american houses seem to have a plug-in coffee-maker. If they drink tea, they don't always boil it, but simply heat it or even drink it cold with lemon and ice.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 9,645 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    In the English language, the words for meat animals (Cow, Pig, Sheep, Deer) come from Anglo-Saxon, but the words for the meats themselves come from French (Beef/Bouef, Pork/Porc, Mutton/Mouton, Venison/Venaison, Veal/Veau).

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I thought the post about absolute zero was good, but that's equally fascinating.
    I knew it, somewhere deep in my memory, but reading about the weather in America reminded me.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.6
    Total so far - 142.6
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 6th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 15,059 Posts
    • 128,695 Thanks
    zagubov
    As American settlers migrated westward they'd burn down the houses they abandoned so they could get the nails back, as they were the most valuable and irreplaceable parts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

2,210Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin