Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beegee455
    • By beegee455 29th Dec 17, 10:56 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    beegee455
    PIP Assessment
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:56 PM
    PIP Assessment 29th Dec 17 at 10:56 PM
    Ive been a DLA claimant for 12 years and have now been summoned for a PIP face to face assessment.

So i gather my claim has not been good enough for a straight approval...

Not sure how to go about this as i am not good with appointments and talking face to face about my illness.

I have a severe psychosis which was not diagnosed in a good way. I was suicidal and committed to metal health hospital and while in hospital my psychiatric nurse suggested i get DLA...

So this is something I've never asked for no particularly wanted if I'm being honest...but in these 12 years my life has improved, I'm no longer suicidal and I have managed to cope. Ive never had to reapply face to face or anything like that.

But the fact that things have improved and I'm in less contact with mental heath professionals, is this going to affect my chances of getting the claim..

Ive read a few stories where mental health is being taken as serious with PIP..

Can anyone help with how i should approach this consultation, am i going to have to be open about my personal feelings and pretty much things i don't like to say to anyone or will i just have to answer what they ask...
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 30th Dec 17, 6:18 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 1,916 Thanks
    _shel
    • 30th Dec 17, 6:18 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 6:18 AM
    Ive been a DLA claimant for 12 years and have now been summoned for a PIP face to face assessment.

Not sure how to go about this as i am not good with appointments and talking face to face about my illness.

I have a severe psychosis which was not diagnosed in a good way. I was suicidal and committed to metal health hospital and while in hospital my psychiatric nurse suggested i get DLA...

So this is something I've never asked for no particularly wanted if I'm being honest...but in these 12 years my life has improved, I'm no longer suicidal and I have managed to cope. Ive never had to reapply face to face or anything like that.

But the fact that things have improved and I'm in less contact with mental heath professionals, is this going to affect my chances of getting the claim..

Can anyone help with how i should approach this consultation, am i going to have to be open about my personal feelings and pretty much things i don't like to say to anyone or will i just have to answer what they ask...
    Originally posted by beegee455
    Your illness has improved?
    You have no contact with health professionals?
    Are you medicated?
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 30th Dec 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:47 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:47 AM

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Most people have to attend a face 2 face assessment, as it's rare to have a paper based decision.

During the assessment you'll be asked questions based on those PIP descriptors and yes you're going to have to tell them how your condition affects you daily, if you want any chance of an award. If you go and answer with just a yes or no then your chances of an award are slim, the more detail you give the better.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim when you sent the form in? You'll need evidence to prove those descriptors apply to you. This can be anything from letters from your GP, Consultant, Social worker, Support Worker, Medication print out list, letter from someone that knows you well, even a diary written by yourself.

Plenty of people with Mental health claim PIP, like i said it's how those conditions affect you daily. Everyone is different and you can't compare 2 people. There's a PIP self test that you can complete online, it doesn't mean you'll be awarded those points but it will give you some idea. Here's a link for that.
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

You say in the last 12 years that you've improved. Did you not contact DLA and report that you'd improved? You're supposed to report those changes.

A few days after the assessment you can ring DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the report. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as mostly they go with that report.
    • beegee455
    • By beegee455 30th Dec 17, 8:24 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    beegee455
    • 30th Dec 17, 8:24 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 8:24 AM
    My illness can be severe from hearing voices and feeling uncontrollably psychotic. But some days I feel normal and stop my medicication.

I!!!8217;m prescribed my injection currently but will pip be able to see I come off it sporadically.

I do this because I hate the side effects, sickness and no sex drive being the worst.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 30th Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 30th Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    My illness can be severe from hearing voices and feeling uncontrollably psychotic. But some days I feel normal and stop my medicication.

I!!!8217;m prescribed my injection currently but will pip be able to see I come off it sporadically.

I do this because I hate the side effects, sickness and no sex drive being the worst.
    You didn't answer the question above. Did you send in evidence to support your claim? This will be needed because they won't just take "your word for it" Did you complete the PIP self test in the link i posted above?

It helps to understand what PIP is all about because it's different to DLA. As i said there's plenty of info on the internet, i suggest you do some research to see what it's all about. This will help a lot!
    Last edited by poppy12345; 30-12-2017 at 8:29 AM.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 30th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 7,558 Posts
    • 16,334 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    Beegee, please follow Poppy's advice - she is correct, virtually everyone needs a Face to Face assessment. I know of one person who didn't need one, but she has a severe learning disability and several physical disabilities and her mum sent in plenty of evidence, including medical and educational reports.

You need to detail how your life is affected on a daily basis, and show any variations - you say that some days you 'feel normal and stop medication', so you need to include that, and say how long you can stop your meds for before needing them again.

DLA did not require a Face to Face in most cases. It was almost completely paper based. However, PIP is a different benefit with different criteria, and one of the criteria is to attend a F2F in most cases.

If your mental health has improved, you should really have informed DLA, as you are supposed to report changes in circumstances. However, that's water under the bridge now. It could be that you don't qualify for PIP, or that you qualify for a lower or higher rate than you receive on DLA - nobody here knows. The fact that you have improved may affect your claim, but surely that is a good thing? I would love my son to improve to the extent that he did not need disability benefits, but unfortunately that is never going to happen. On the link that Poppy posted above, my son scores 42 for care and 24 for mobility. Did you try the test? Where did you score points?

You have to attend the F2F or you will lose your benefit completely. I understand that it is daunting and that you would have preferred a paper based assessment, but as explained, these are almost unheard of with PIP. Your best option is to familiarise yourself with the descriptors in Poppy's link, and show how they apply to you.

Please let us know how you get on.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 30th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    I totally agree with everything Kingfisher said above. I applied for PIP for my daughter a few months ago. She also has a learning disability, Social Anxiety disorder and ASD. She's 16 years old and has never been outside the front door alone. She wouldn't have the capacity to do so. I sent in masses of evidence, from Disabilities team, College reports, EHCP reports, CAMH's reports. When at college she has one 2 one support the whole time she's there. Each of those reports had in detail every single one of those descriptors that applied to her and why. On the PIP test she scored 12 on the mobility following and planning a journey and 30 on the Daily Living part. She still had to have an assessment.

Her PIP report was honest but after reading it again i noticed that there were condradictions and she didn't score what she should have scored. Her award was Enhanced for both so no point in challenging that decision but i'll certainly be watching out for that at review in 1 years time.

Some people have managed an award without evidence, so i've read. I've no idea how they did this. I can't tell you enough how important it is to send in that evidence.

Good luck and let us know what you scored on the PIP self test.
    • w06
    • By w06 30th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    w06
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    Begee as above it's not about the diagnosis but about how your illness affects you, with regard specific things, for the majority of the time.

It's normal to have a face to face assessment.

I agree with the others about sending evidence for the things you state on the form, but important to recognise that not everyone has that evidence. I didn't send any. My GP was contacted, I had a face to face assessment, and I was awarded enhanced rate for both parts for an ongoing period.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 30th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    It's also very rare for them to contact any medical professional, so please do rely on that.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 30th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Hoogle
    Honestly the pip application does not favour mental health especially as it always states other than psychological distress..... I put in my application that i could not do a f2f at assessment center or home and they did the application based on paper evidence which had plenty of medical reports and evidence i scored 2 points and did not win an award. I did a mandatory reconsideration breaking down every single point they dismissed and was awarded 15 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility giving me enhanced daily living and standard mobility. However it took longer but worth it in the end. But if i was to do it again then i would opt for the f2f as the application form alone really is a weak application and they do not take the time to read all the evidence you supplied.

Yes there are cases where f2f interviews are completely fabricated in the reports and everything you say is dismissed pretty much but you only hear of the bad cases not all the good ones my friend who i do charity work with had his f2f and the woman (home visit) kept changing the wording of his answers to better support his claim and he also received it and in all honesty none of us expected him to get it. If they are offering a f2f then take it, there is a very good chance you will get turned down on application stage any way it is how you do your appeals that count.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 30th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Honestly the pip application does not favour mental health especially as it always states other than psychological distress..... I put in my application that i could not do a f2f at assessment center or home and they did the application based on paper evidence which had plenty of medical reports and evidence i scored 2 points and did not win an award. I did a mandatory reconsideration breaking down every single point they dismissed and was awarded 15 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility giving me enhanced daily living and standard mobility. However it took longer but worth it in the end. But if i was to do it again then i would opt for the f2f as the application form alone really is a weak application and they do not take the time to read all the evidence you supplied.

Yes there are cases where f2f interviews are completely fabricated in the reports and everything you say is dismissed pretty much but you only hear of the bad cases not all the good ones my friend who i do charity work with had his f2f and the woman (home visit) kept changing the wording of his answers to better support his claim and he also received it and in all honesty none of us expected him to get it. If they are offering a f2f then take it, there is a very good chance you will get turned down on application stage any way it is how you do your appeals that count.
    Originally posted by Hoogle
    I disagree with that. I've heard of a lot of people with Mental Health that have been awarded PIP. Remember it's not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily.

I have no idea why anyone would refuse a face 2 face assessment. This is your chance to prove how your condtion affects you daily.
    • beegee455
    • By beegee455 5th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    beegee455
    Well I!!!8217;ve lost my mobility and my care has been reduced. So I was getting 420 per month and now it!!!8217;s 220.

I feel I should have maintained my higher rate care as did the test above. My mobility was lower rate and felt it could have been touch and go.

What is the procedure to see if they will at least give me my higher rate care as I am adamant I require this for sure
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 6th Feb 18, 12:09 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Hoogle
    You always have the right to call them up and ask for a mandatory reconsideration.
    Take their score points where you disagree with their decision and clarify how you can't do that activity as easily as stated.
    If you have someone who has experience with MR's then get them to help you. I was 1 of the lucky few that had my decision overturned at MR.

Check the date of the their decision notice as I received mine nearly 2 weeks after the date and you have to return the MR within 4 weeks of that date, If you need more time then phone them up they usually will allow a 28 day extension.
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 6th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    White_musk
    I totally agree with everything Kingfisher said above. I applied for PIP for my daughter a few months ago. She also has a learning disability, Social Anxiety disorder and ASD. She's 16 years old and has never been outside the front door alone. She wouldn't have the capacity to do so. I sent in masses of evidence, from Disabilities team, College reports, EHCP reports, CAMH's reports. When at college she has one 2 one support the whole time she's there. Each of those reports had in detail every single one of those descriptors that applied to her and why. On the PIP test she scored 12 on the mobility following and planning a journey and 30 on the Daily Living part. She still had to have an assessment.

Her PIP report was honest but after reading it again i noticed that there were condradictions and she didn't score what she should have scored. Her award was Enhanced for both so no point in challenging that decision but i'll certainly be watching out for that at review in 1 years time.

Some people have managed an award without evidence, so i've read. I've no idea how they did this. I can't tell you enough how important it is to send in that evidence.

Good luck and let us know what you scored on the PIP self test.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

I did mine with no evidence. Granted I lost all of my DLA high rate care and high rate mobility but was awarded enhanced care and enhanced mobility at tribunal. They went by what I said, how I presented and past medical evidence (from my DLA claim) which said I have a progressive condition that will get worse never improve.

Disclaimer, my award was for physical disability not mental illness.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I did mine with no evidence. Granted I lost all of my DLA high rate care and high rate mobility but was awarded enhanced care and enhanced mobility at tribunal. They went by what I said, how I presented and past medical evidence (from my DLA claim) which said I have a progressive condition that will get worse never improve.

Disclaimer, my award was for physical disability not mental illness.
    Originally posted by White_musk
    As you stated, you did have evidence in your DLA file.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Well I!!!8217;ve lost my mobility and my care has been reduced. So I was getting 420 per month and now it!!!8217;s 220.

I feel I should have maintained my higher rate care as did the test above. My mobility was lower rate and felt it could have been touch and go.

What is the procedure to see if they will at least give me my higher rate care as I am adamant I require this for sure
    You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for the MR. If you don't have a copy of the assessment report i'd advice ringing DWP to ask them to send you this. You'll need to put your MR request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you tink you should have scored those points. The PIP self test is purely just a guide and it doesn't mean you'll actually score those points. Evidence will be needed.

Asking for the MR they will look at the whole award again and not just part of it, so you do risk losing everything you already have.

Only 20% of MR decisions are successful, so be prepared to take it to Tribunal. If you do have to take it this far then appearing in person is your best chance of a decision in your favour. 65% of those who appear have a decision in their favour. It's much lless for those who have a paper based decision. Good luck.
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 6th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    White_musk
    As you stated, you did have evidence in your DLA file.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    True. What I meant was I had no current evidence and my DLA evidence is over 20 years old. I do fully agree with you that doing it without evidence is very difficult, much better to provide as much as possible.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • beegee455
    • By beegee455 12th Feb 18, 4:26 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    beegee455
    Well I have scored 11 points on daily living. That!!!8217;s just 1 point away from higher rate.

Should I appeal? What is the process for MR?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Well I have scored 11 points on daily living. That!!!8217;s just 1 point away from higher rate.

Should I appeal? What is the process for MR?
    You have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for the MR. You should put this in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you schould have scored those points. The ssessment report is very useful at this point. Send more evidence to support your claim, if possible.

There is a risk because you can lose everything you already have. Your award can also stay the same or be increased. Mostly MRs stay the same.

You'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. If you do get this far appearing in person is your best chance of success. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin