Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 29th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1,043Posts
    • 1,279Thanks
    How long have you been 1.0 Debt free 2.0 In debt
    • 29th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    How long have you been 1.0 Debt free 2.0 In debt 29th Dec 17 at 5:22 PM
    Answering 1.0 Debt free just ignore 'good debt' (Mortgage and paying off CC immediately or utilising 0% free period and paying that before period ends

Answering 2.0 you may yo-yo in and out of Debt, so include this cumulative period.

There have been may Threads on the definition of debt and it just got me wondering on this subject.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
Page 1
    • HustleGang
    • By HustleGang 1st Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    I'll answer number 2, as it almost 100% outweighs number 1 question.

I've been in and out of debt for around 5 years.

£2300 left to pay, then I'll have around £700 a month to save/invest. Hoping to be debt free by the end of March!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 4th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 8,496 Posts
    • 45,332 Thanks
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    1. Debt free in the terms you're referring to since 2009 I think, from memory. In real terms fully debt free since 30th September 2016 when the mortgage was paid off.

Prior to joining here we like so many used to regularly bounce in and out of overdrafts and taking a loan to purchase something like a car was "normal" - now normal is to save up for things and save monthly, and we know our monthly outgoings and have budgets for the fun stuff, entertainment etc.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£853.32 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: SOA Calculator
    • timefortea
    • By timefortea 4th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    I've been debt free for almost two years. Before that I'm not even sure how long I was in debt for, I became so good at not thinking about my credit card. Probably four or five years in debt. It was so unnecessary, I was just hardened to it, and didn't think anything of buying new clothes on the credit card.

Since becoming debt free I've been saving for a house deposit, and it galls me to think of how much money I could've had by now. I could have bought somewhere years ago. Those years were such a waste.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,611Posts Today

8,976Users online

Martin's Twitter