Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,773Posts
    • 50,400Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST January #1; NSD 9/18; Ex 12/12; craft 1/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 20
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 22,773 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Cube shelves are up (decided not to put them under the bed, they are either side). Bath emptied, had bath and washed hair. Spread empty cardboard boxes on the bed and started sorting. Did some micro- tidying, pulled the pins out of the pincushion and discarded bent and rusty ones (only spot or two) but a rusty pin can spoil a piece of material and a rusty needle will snag. Rubbish bag is filling nicely, as is the paper bag.

When I got too tired, I moved the boxes to the right half of the bed (had already totally cleared it and put a sheet on) and slept. Fever seems to have broken today (I am feeling the cold rather than boiling over) but still fragiles so got ready slowly. CBT session (on mindfulness) was quite good, did not quite fall asleep during the meditation exercise.

Was going to have a taxi home but decided to walk. Struggled with the last bit - used a broken trolley to get across little Arseda car park then shuffled the last bit. have rested and eaten and am now going to start again. It's organised enough that I can do most of it on the bed, will find 'right size' boxes and containers when I know how much each category there is (will discard at each stage).

Lots of notes/ quotes and things which I only need to jot down an address or phone number. Six bags for life emptied last night so target is more than 6 plus 2 or 3 carrier bags for the cs. May bag up food bank donation to take as well (love anything going out of the house).

Today I am grateful for a good therapy session, for the prospect of a tidy and peaceful bedroom and for enough boxes (all down to their online shopping mania).
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jan #16 SFD 6 /18 Food £74/£100 Travel £3.60/£20 DIY £0/£30 Ent £0/£50
    No Debt No mortgage
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 11th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 17,771 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Raphael, I envy your 10k. Its something both I and DD1 want to get into - and something we are both very good at finding excuses not to. :/
    Originally posted by DancingDragons
    Get your kit out the night before & put it by your bed. Putting on the shoes is the hardest bit.
    Why not agree that you will both put your shoes on and get out the door. Even if you just walk to the end of the road and back, you have gotten out. You'll find when you are out of the door you might as well jog a little. Then a bit more. Then before you know it you have finished a run

Lauralozzle - have a look online at the price of your dog tablets, if they are a regular purchase you may be able to get them much cheaper. The vets totally rip you off, they have a massive mark up.
    Originally posted by dolly84

I've always liked vetuk.co.uk. Although you will need to send them prescriptions for some medicines. I used to get flea & wormers from them. Now I'm in the vet scheme where we pay £12.50 a month and all check ups, flea & wormers and vaccinations are included.

Another trip to the cinema today, with my friends free vouchers. Saw Jumanji which was very funny & enjoyable.
    Had my weekly music lesson too, budgetted for. So claiming another NSD.
    HM chicken & bacon pie for tea, very tasty, but a little too much sauce. I think 1/2 pint of stock would have been better than a pint.

Janus - 12 Months target to repay Mum. £241.03 / £3000
    Nothing added today, still chipping away at the surveys thou. My pot is currently at £5.73. Going to get to £10 before I cash in.

Activity. Crochet & keep active.
    Scheduled rest day today. My arms are a little sore from my PT and boxing, but body is feeling okay.
    Keeping up with crocheting everyday. Even if I do a few lines I'm happy, progress is progress.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 25 NSDs 10/25
    Nothing spent today.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity I have asked BF to drop an old dog bed & coats etc that don't fit Duncan anymore into the c&d home donation bin when he goes shopping tomorrow. Hopefully he'll remember to pick it up in the morning. While it's not cash being donated, it's stuff they can use or sell.

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Duncans unused dog bed and coasts are being gifted to the c&d home. Return: BF is heading into town on Monday, I have asked him to return my long tights. BF suggested they are still okay for the gym, but they were specifically bought for running outside in the cold, so are not suitable.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Jan NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight 2.1 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today WAS NSD7

Had to get a little creative in the pantry, but managed a tomato pasta (3 different ends of bags of shaped pasta) with garlic bread panninis (the only bread in the house - found in the freezer). Made a peanut butter iced chocolate cake and a jam tart. 6 chocolate buns iced with salted caramel icing, 2 curry pasties and 2 vege-chicken and sweetcorn pasties.

So supper tonight, and 4 x lunchboxes for tomorrow all sorted from stores.

Will have to do some shopping tomorrow, but I just found out I have another £23 put on to my L0ve2Sh0p card from the postal survey I do. I will claim this as a s-t-r-e-t-c-h goal.

Still can't find my stupid chequebook.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 67,700 Thanks
    greent
    Sorry for your loss, E_E.

Thank you for confirming y milk-NSD, apple x

Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    Today's actions towards this - nothing

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Today: -Have done 10k steps - most of which were achieved at work for 3 hours this morning. Have since come over all shivery and achy with a temperature, so not done much.
    [B]Non-negotiables
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) (not fussed if I don't achieve this as long as budgets aren't blown) 4/18. Got one today
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 102.23/£400
    Fuel - £63/65 -
    Toiletries - 0/£10
    Household - 55.63 /£20 - (busted due to new toaster/ teatowels)
    Clothes - 12.13/ £60
    Social - 86.39 + McDs/ £100 (all bday related)
    Gifts - 15/ £50 -
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - DONE
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full, usual monthly pymt to OH's car finance. Some money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565). Min payments to both 0% CCs this month until kitchen expenditure known in full, instead of estimated
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me. Gaps in freezer and on shelves.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok.
    Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £34.17/£50 - another flebay sale (+ £7 net ebay sale for DS3) Aim to declutter 50 items. 140/50
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!) Relisted 7 items on fleabay - 1 now sold

something Joyful in Jan : n/a today

Off to bed shortly with a wheat bag
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £0/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £17.38/£1000 PAYDOX18 £0/£30k ?? Decluttered 136/2018 items
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 11th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 24,928 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 8 today and I feel shattered. I hope I’m not coming down with something!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 17,749 Thanks
    misstara
    Went out for tea and a few drinks with a friend last night, spent £21.35 on my £50 social budget. Today has been a NSD so now on 7/18 NSDs. I've made a wee £2.75 payment to the debt today.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1141.10 (50.4% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £708.21 (11.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 1/60
    Emergency fund - £25/£1000. Car fund - £75/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 2/6. Groceries target £75.93/£150. NSD target 9/18.
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 11th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 6,452 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Another NSd today Makes 8 si=o far.
    Got a doctors appt to sort out my eye infection.Turns out it's shingles. Put myself in solitary confinment for a while. Did a mr.T order as I don't want to go out,but that won't be paid for until tomorrow.
    Being home alone gives me chance to do some suveys,ebay stuff and declutter in general.
    Food planned for the next few days.
    Activity. must gie this some thought.Don't suppose walking to the kitchen to make a cuppa counts

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 11th Jan 18, 11:47 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 24,669 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. Slow progress but small steps.. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. Not a lot done on this today - just a little knitting..

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Active all morning decided to start clearing the kitchen. Now I do realise that a scattergun approach is not the best, in that as I am attacking several rooms at a time instead of focussing my effort in one area, it may be some time before a change is apparent. However, I knew I'd be going out this afternoon/evening so wanted to do something tangible apart from the everlasting washing etc. Have finally thrown away the old kettle - DD broke the switch on it whilst we were away last year. She bought a new one to replace it, which DH refused to use as there was 'still life in the old one'. Which there was, only it involved switching it on by poking a plastic artists brush into it to switch it on. Also the lid was bent so it took ages to boil. I know we should make do & mend, but fgs we already had the replacement taking up space in the cupboard...
    Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) still on 5/18

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say £250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. Filling in book with receipts, found most of them. Kept receipts from shopping, will fill in book later. Still to do..

-£5 to foodbank / charity Finally managed to do this!

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Will be prepping to start selling some of this stuff ASAP. but not today

-meal plan Lunch was HM pea & ham soup using the last of the cooked gammon joint, plus a FB pizza for DH. Supper was eaten out, say no more....back on the wagon tomorrow with a vengeance

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later] Do not exercise as was - like many people - put off at school. And I was also rubbish! Put off swimming by being pushed into the deep end (by the swimming teacher!) which instead of having the desired effect of getting me swimming, actually nearly drowned me..

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through. Now have 2 books on the go..

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family Today I treated myself to some new underwear in the MnS outlet, bras £2.50 but non returnable...
    Plus one or two other more expensive items, will have to take myself in hand now...

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.NO sign yet of said shoe but will keep identifying items to sell. Have realised that we have a ton of food still to eat, that's before we start on the 2 chest freezers (& little one inside fridge). There's only 2 of us (but often 3)..

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 26,116 Thanks
    thriftylass
    fmess i feel a bit like that too. Hope we both get away with it. I might just feel like that because it's my first full week of exercise and it can have that effect on my body after a break. Very motivating, not.

ilovetea hope you recover quickly. I had it when i was 16, but luckily just the rash on my ribcage.

Swim today, lunch and snacks to work and SFD number 8.

My ancient spider plant at home is dying, so will bring new babies home from the one at work today.

Finally tried to read last night but fell asleep on the couch at 9, that was me there till i woke up at 6. Bit sore now

Have a good day
    NST Janus 42
    SFD 8/20 spends 220/450
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 1900 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 105216 (01/18) OP 0
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Jan 18, 7:18 AM
    • 6,773 Posts
    • 50,400 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Ilovetea - take it easy and get well soon x Shingles is nasty, esp round your eyes.
    NST January #1; NSD 9/18; Ex 12/12; craft 1/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 32,419 Thanks
    dolly84
    ilovetea - hope you don't get full blown shingles.

DancingDragons - I love Yorkshire Tea and they do a loose leaf version so I will be trying that when I finally track down a strainer.

My gas woes continue, our boiler stopped working last night, a coincidence? I think not. It is 14 years old and has never broken down before, it isn't under a service plan but luckily we are covered on our house insurance so someone is coming today, I work from home so can be about all day.

Other plans for the day are work, dog walking, school run and cleaning.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Raphael I do have a park run by me and have gone the last two weeks but it's at the exact time my DD has a club so not sure how often I will be able to go. That's really good advice tho. I have been trying to go out every other day(ish) but never questioned going out two days in a row.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Yesterday was nsd #7. We r hoping to move house soon so this is all very much needed. New year, new house, new goals.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 12th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 6,452 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Thanks for the good wishes.
    Day of work I hadn't planned so less exercise. On the plus side,can't get my hair done so saved a few pennies there.
    Ordered atesco delivery to come this morning.All put away and plenty of food now to last the week.
    NSD still at 8.,but won't be going out for a while,so lots of NSD on the horizon.
    take care everybody.

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 22,773 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Two bags taken to the cs bin in the library + bag of stuff into the food bank box. Awake all night, had a little rest this morning. Decluttering is starting to get difficult - I understand the bit about postponed decisions. Have posted a parcel of stuff from my stash but struggling with finished items (some have been around a very long time). Going to donate most of them.

The part finished ones were much easier. If they were started then stopped and not continued then after a certain time they need to go. May attack another part of the pile and leave this for later (can think it over and then look at it again). Sure there are some bags and boxes I could just tip in the bin but hate waste, even if it's only paperclips and similar bits.

Feeling better but the last stage of the lurgy leaving is quite painful. Coughed so much I was sick.

Today I am grateful for having all this stuff - part of the problem is not being able to have some of these things when I was younger, until 12 years ago I only had a small amount of materials at home. I have to do this, I must do this, I want to do this, I will do this.

Also very very grateful for snowman toilet roll and the bread rolls I bought yesterday - makes breaking for food very easy.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jan #16 SFD 6 /18 Food £74/£100 Travel £3.60/£20 DIY £0/£30 Ent £0/£50
    No Debt No mortgage
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 12th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Hello turtles!
    NSD #8 today. Pleased with that.

Work was long and dull today, feeling like I might have a cider tonight (liberated from work, that's liberated, not stolen )

Ooooh, almost forgot, I found a fiver in my coat pocket today. That never happens haha!

Also I now have a discount card for the local secure car park which offers me a cheaper flat rate for when I'm at work. I'll use that one when the council car parks are full price and use the council ones when they're £1 (evenings and Sundays).

DH got another coat of paint on the spare room walls. Going to decide on colours later for the actual design. It'll all be wilkos own brand (as is the white wash) because it's the cheapest and in all honesty one of the best quality I've used.

Today I'm grateful for the found fiver, an early finish, cooking fresh tonight and looking forward to a little lay in tomorrow.

I'm up to £2.50 on the yougov surveys app and qmee seems to have dried up already but I'll stick it out.

Have a lovely evening all
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    laurenh1
    hi all,

holiday is over & I am officially back in the game.

managed to come in under budget & had an amazing time a bit gutted it is all over.

just started an application for PPI. hub & I were in BAD debt 7 years ago & I thought it too long ago to claim but apparently not. let's see. been meaning to do it forever but those were dark days & frankly looking into it all fills me with dread even now I am debt free. IF I get anything back I am going to put it towards something fun for my boys.

janus- looking forward. about to do my yearly budget. nursery have said I don't have to pay for any hols I take as long as I book them out now. big task but well worth doing

activities- no YS shopping or runninh but lots of swimming/walking/ trying new things.

non negotiable- doing weekly meal plan tomorrow. NSD still 4 but still think I can do it. just budgets- 600 came through so
    savings
    1800 - paris
    500 Lapland UK tickets
    950 emergency pot

general- 23 spends not worried though as my cupboards are full to bursting

unshakable- keeping my budget in mind.remembering that this is priority & I must make best of the money I have.

always plan- lived off meal plan all week even while away, took our drinks & snacks, & spent our money on things we really wanted to do rather than juices & rubbish.

reduce, reuse, recycle- got lots of use this week from kids trikes

you- lots of relaxed time with my boys is what its all about

hope you're all ok, I haven't read all comments yet

xx
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 12th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 17,771 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I have been very lazy today. The day has been cold, grey and miserable so I have been sat on the sofa under a quilt with Duncan & played some Skyrim. I did manage to complete a quest I've had hanging around for months, so I feel a sense of accomplishment

Janus - 12 Months target to repay Mum. £394.65 / £3000
    £143.62 added today. £28.53 extra NY wages, £50 grocery budget and £65.09 unused weekly budget.

Activity. Crochet & keep active.
    Was supposed to run today, but it's technically the last day of my week off (not back til Monday, but Sat/Sun are days off) so I slobbed around today.
    Keeping up with the crochet thou, I have used up two more balls of wool.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 25 NSDs 11/25
    Nothing spent today.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity Donation dropped in the drop box.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Still working on clearing out the freezer. One chunk of gammon and one fishcake down today.

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Definately looked after myself mentally today by just shamelessly enjoying a lazy day. I haven't played video games for months, so really enjoyed it.

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Jan NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight 2.1 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 12th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 20,367 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day. Did a top up food shop. Booked and went to an exhibition - Elvis on Tour. Only brought an souvenir programme. Some of the things they were selling were expensive. A casual jacket was £110. Did bring my lunch from home to have whilst out. Also booked a place for a 5k charity walk in London. Brought colouring pencils for my mindfulness colouring book-did get £1 off, only found out when I went to the till.
    Grateful for:
    Elvis on Tour exhibition.
    Day out.
    Did some walking, also went up stairs at the train stations.
    Having a chilled out evening.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 12-01-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived NSD 8/18
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    lcc86
    A spend day today, had to pay for parking at the chiropractor and also bought some tickets to see a film at the cinema as a treat for studying.

Work was frustrating today, we had a break in at one of our sites and some stuff got stolen. Really frustrating and it has a knock on impact on the work I'm trying to do.

Plans for the weekend are studying and cleaning tomorrow, then riding on Sunday and off to my niece's first birthday party. Have a good weekend everyone!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    25/08/17 £802 owed 21/12/17 cleared and determined to stay debt free this time
    £762/£1000 EF £718 saved for household jobs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,835Posts Today

9,435Users online

Martin's Twitter