Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,804Posts
    • 50,670Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST January #1; NSD 14/18; Ex 17/12; craft 2/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 16
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 50,670 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Unabashed devotion to your goal - question 4
    Is your happiness dependant on your goal?

(No need to write your response to this one!)
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 8th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 8,831 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening!

Good day here...

Today = NSD number 7

Really getting creative with left overs haha and pleased I've not bought any new food yet. Haven't really done much towards in the way of mindfulness, but on target with other things.

Today I am grateful for:
    • Work colleagues for providing a laugh
    • A bright, cold, sunny day
    • A warm, dry home to come back to
    Have a great evening folks x
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £5483.65. EF = £2025/£4500
    NST : NSD=13/18 : Food/Spends OVERSPENT
    Exercise Sessions 2/8 + Nature Walk 0/4.
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 8th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Evening turtles.

We spent today. I spent my boots voucher I got for Xmas, DH bought DD some books and needed milk. Treated ourselves with a takeaway too. Felt nice to treat but back on it tomorrow.

So still on 5 NSDs so far.

Work was good today, got loads done. Same again tomorrow.

Got the yougov survey app on my phone now, I'm £1.50 in, long way to go before cash out at £50 haha!

Still no refund on the costume. Getting ready to pounce.

Does anyone crochet here? I have a design I want to do but it's too intricate to do it in a granny square pixel style pattern. It'd end up 3x4meters! Has anyone ever done a regular plain blanket and then plaited a much thicker wool and tacked it on in a desired pattern?
    I don't want to just surface stitch through the blanket in the pattern because the lines would be too small and lack any kind of definition. This will be an Xmas present for 2018, so want to get started soon!

Grateful today for Chinese food, cuddles with DD and an early bed!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 8th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 10,633 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    #23 update
    Today was a NSD, up to 7 now.

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 8th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 23,510 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Reporting in a spend day yesterday, took DS to Uni and brought food for lunch, also did a food shop for DS to see him through a few weeks.

Today has been a NSD - managed to save money by sexing the cat wrong, thought she was a girl and booked her in for a spay as don't want kittens but took her in today and she is a he and is not able to be neutered yet!!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 24 for January
    NSD - 11/18
    (up to 17/01/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 8th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Welcome back CCL how's things?
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 8th Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Nsd 5 today. It's been cold and dreary here today. I definitely needed a Monday motivational boot up the bottom this morning. Dinner at my sisters tonight- totally grateful for my wonderful sister. I adore spending time with her and her family.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 50,670 Thanks
    apple muncher

Today has been a NSD - managed to save money by sexing the cat wrong, thought she was a girl and booked her in for a spay as don't want kittens but took her in today and she is a he and is not able to be neutered yet!!!
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Oh my !!!
    018 sell

• Fmess
    • By Fmess 8th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 24,970 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 6 today
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 8th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 24,970 Thanks
    Fmess
    Welcome back ccl
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 8th Jan 18, 10:36 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 20,547 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day. Had to pay solicitor £5 to witness my signature on a form required by the building society for my Mum's account, as I received her will today. Handed it into the building society.
    Dropped a few bits off to the local Salvation Army.
    Picked up my prescription. Used my pre payment prescription certificate.
    Grateful for:
    Doing some bits in the flat, including some decluttering.
    Going to bingo with friend.
    Won money at bingo, so it covered my evening there.
    Had dinner around my friend's place.
    Nearly finished dealing with the major things that need to be with my Mum's passing. Only have to get the headstone for the grave. The other things that need to be done can be done over a period of time.
    Having a good night's sleep.
    Doing quite a bit of walking today.
    Got the self care book delivered.
    Got the natural deodorant delivered.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 08-01-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived NSD 13/18
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 8th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    Managing to post most days. Today had to buy milk £1.09. Had my chiropody at mum's assisted living, the lady visits and only charges £12. Must look after my feet as I am diabetic.

Needed new shoes. The ones I wore when away at New Year are coming away at the sole and my daughter noticed!!! Haven't got any other winter shoes or boots -poor me- until now that is. Was going to get some Hotter shoes in New Year sale, didn't, got email today with further reductions, So bought 2 pairs of shoes and a pair of Goretex waterproof boots for only £13 more than original price of boots. A good bargain methinks but they did cost £113 altogether. Hope they last as long as the ones with the dodgy sole.

Vets for the dogs tomorrow but my daughter pays a monthly plan which covers vaccinations and tablets. They will ignore me all day after we've been. Have to wrestle with boy dog to get his harness and lead on and he usually ends up in his basket 'hiding'. Head first in with bottom in the air, if I can't see you, you can't see me attitude.!

All meals still from stocks and will be for the next week. Stir fry tonight, enough left overs for lunch tomorrow. Shepherds pie tomorrow.

Hugs dd
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 8th Jan 18, 11:43 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 24,756 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Better again today but notice back still sore after a few hours. Hopefully continue to improve but do have CS stint tomorrow - must not do any lifting..

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. Slow progress but small steps.. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. TV knitting done tonight, have a couple of books to take back to CS. DD going away for a couple of days so that should help me to get sorted..

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Not as much done as yesterday but did make 2 HM soups plus chilli for supper. Then out shopping with DD, but just to cheap shops. Tried to get cash out but no machines working so had to use card again. Spent very little though, do find I am now thinking before mindless purchasing..also sent back 3 things which will refund to cc.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) still on 4/18

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say £250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. Filling in book with receipts, found most of them. Kept receipts & put in book, amazed at one shop spent only £1.77 - that I did use cash for

-£5 to foodbank / charity Will do this week. Tried to purchase something from charity, held up by website, will investigate. No go atm, will choose another if no joy tomorrow.

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Cutting down - I have so many clothes etc that I do not wear. We had a lifestyle change & it means many of the clothes I really do not need any more..Found lots more stuff when doing a declutter, seems inevitable it will get worse before it gets better. Happy today to wear something found yesterday - need to steel myself to get rid of so much. I could take to CS but it's all expensive stuff so really should sell on FB or fleabay.

-meal plan Lunch was HM potato & leek soup - also found peas so pea & ham on menu for tomorrow. Supper was HM chilli & my version of garlic bread, plus black forest trifle - had all ingredients for a small one left over from Christmas do, plus 50p double cream YS from MnS.

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later] Do not exercise as was - like many people - put off at school. And I was also rubbish! Put off swimming by being pushed into the deep end (by the swimming teacher!) which instead of having the desired effect of getting me swimming, actually nearly drowned me..

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through. Now have 2 books on the go..

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family Not done today, although I did notice that DD had finally removed her clothes from the bathroom floor after her bath the other day.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove. Completed survey but failed on eBay front, found one shoe of a pair planning to sell but so far no sign of its mate, ah well that led to a lot of sorting out & I did find stuff that I was missing, so a benefit of a type.
    Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 9th Jan 18, 6:24 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 24,970 Thanks
    Fmess
    Dottydaisy I love hotter shoes. I struggle with shoes due to a condition that affects my legs and feet but I feel like I’m wearing slippers all day in hotter shoes. Enjoy your new pairs.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 9th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 17,796 Thanks
    misstara
    Last 2 days have been NSDs taking me to 6/18

Nothing else to report, I'm full of the cold so have had no energy to do anything but the basics.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1141.10 (50.4% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £703.58 (11.8% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 1/60
    Emergency fund - £30/£1000. Car fund - £75/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 3/6. Groceries target £82.80/£150. NSD target 9/18.
    • Nicky Noo Na
    • By Nicky Noo Na 9th Jan 18, 8:09 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 6,597 Thanks
    Nicky Noo Na
    Dottydaisy enjoy the new shoes - sounds like a very good price!

I enjoyed my free zumba last night but am aching today. I dug out my old trainers and noticed a big split in the sole so I'll need some new ones if I'm going to keep going. Need some new ones for weekends anyway so could buy nice ones and use my current ones for exercise. Ideally would wait till my birthday in April but not sure I can wait that long. Might have a look around ready for payday on 26th.

Managed NSD number 3 yesterday and today should be 4. I'm going to a friends for coffee/playdate which will be free then dentist in the afternoon which counts as medical. Will be collecting an order from next too - a few cheap dressess for DD but it goes on my account so not due to be paid for a month or so. I have 20 in vouchers already so my aim is to get another 10 on consumer pulse before payment is due.

Tomorrow should be a NSD too but I'm travelling for a meeting with work. Lunch is included but it's a day of train strikes so if we get stuck anywhere a hot drink may be purchased. I'll take snacks with me

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 9th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 32,897 Thanks
    dolly84
    DottyDaisy - I don't mind paying more for quality items. I do a lot of walking (hiking type of walking) and once bought a pair of cheap walking boots which looked good but wore through on the sole in a matter of weeks. I went back to Salomon walking boots after that and those and North Face are the only ones I buy, they are expensive but I usually buy them on sale when the colours are changing and I can walk hundreds and hundreds of miles in them before they need replacing.

Foggy and dreary here today, if it brightens up I may go cycling if not I will run later. Ran last night, I was breathing hard but I enjoyed it.

Working today plus the usual dog walk. I didn't get butter yesterday so I have to do that today.

Sold another item on ebay, it was DS's this time but at least it is something else out of the house, I have an item ending tonight which has bids so that will be going soon too.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 9th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 26,125 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

SFD number 7 here today (yay). So much easier when DH is away .

Finished and hung the wardrobe door again last night and got some planning done. My mum sent me some recipe magazines from 1976 to get inspired for my 70s birthday buffet. Also stuck a YS ham hock in the slow cooker and it was perfect this morning. Will use the meat instead of smoked ribs for the Ragu (adapted Genaro Contaldos recipe) this week.

Didn't even have the energy to read last night so just had an early night after a bit of telly and more to do tonight .

Lunch to work and gym again. Went on the treadmill yesterday as it was -5 outside. Will start running out side soon again but haven't been doing anything in ages.
    NST Janus 42
    SFD 8/20 spends 220/450
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 1900 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 105216 (01/18) OP 0
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4,748 Posts
    • 36,704 Thanks
    DawnW
    My mum sent me some recipe magazines from 1976 to get inspired for my 70s birthday buffet.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    I still make some of the magazine recipes I have from the 1970s Thrifty, and they are family favourites - my daughters make some of them now, too
    NSDs for January 6 /18
    Decluttering 24 /31

• thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 9th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 26,125 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I still make some of the magazine recipes I have from the 1970s Thrifty, and they are family favourites - my daughters make some of them now, too
    Originally posted by DawnW
    Funny enough looking through them I now know where my mum got some family favourites from. I was basically looking for the ones I remember from parties back then but some are still used too (not so much here by me in the UK as I can't find some of the ingredients, will have to look in the Russian store or the polish section-we're big on pickled stuff, anything really, and a lot of coldcuts/meats are different here too, raw mince (steak tartar) anyone?). Can't wait to resurrect some. YUM
    Last edited by thriftylass; 09-01-2018 at 9:53 AM.
    NST Janus 42
    SFD 8/20 spends 220/450
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 1900 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 105216 (01/18) OP 0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,640Posts Today

8,991Users online

Martin's Twitter