Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,794Posts
    • 50,585Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST January #1; NSD 11/18; Ex 14/12; craft 2/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 15
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 7th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Today and yesterday were nsds so I'm now on 4/18. Today was not supposed to be but I forgot my purse so had no choice. Had a nice busy weekend with family birthdays. I had a smart meter fitted this weekend and it has made me a little obsessed with my electricity usage. I seem to be using so much electricity. I need to find new money saving ways. I have done all the usual things but need to move to the next level now. Money just doesn't go anywhere any more.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 7th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 5 today.

Dzzyblnd my two new favourite energy saving tricks are to switch the oven off a few minutes before my dinner is done, it keeps on cooking but using less electricity and then when you’ve taken the food out of the oven, leave the door open so the heat can escape into your house and be an extra heat source for a few minutes.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 7th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 22,834 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD for me. Have added up all the spending and have spent most of the food budget but have plenty of meat and veg in to start batch cooking again, so should get us through this month plus some repeat meals for February. I have a bit of birthday money left + the 25 I have allowed in the entertainment budget to have an 'outing'. DS2 came to borrow money and is agreeable to the curry and film night but, as expected, I will have to pay and he will give me the money back on payday. Don't think I will see DS1 as he announced on FB last week that he is going to a gaming event at Fan Boy 3.

Have asked for help next weekend from both DS2 and DS3 as will be heavy lifting involved. I will also need to commandeer the bathroom. Currently working through all the 'stuff' in my room but getting very tired. I have bought a number of over the door hooks so have put them (for now, some but not all will be staying) on the 3 nearest doors and have used them to suspend bags of 'sorted stuff' eg a bag of clean clothes, a bag of bubblewrap (donate to one of the charity shops), bag of toiletries that need a home, bag with any loose items that belong in or on top of the bedside table (so only need to sort the stuff which is on the bedside table but should be elsewhere) - all so that I can move about a bit and see all the other stuff. Have 3 bags for the cs already.

Read a decluttering article the other day which said 'the trouble with being a crafter is that we can see the potential in anything' (ie stuff that other people say is junk and bin immediately, we think 'I could do such and such' or 'wouldn't that look lovely as'. Really resonated with me and I think it's one of the reasons I am struggling to get to grips with it, having made many attempts over the past few months. I hate waste so want to use everything - still trying to save 'things' as well as people.

However, keeping the focus on the 'stuff'' and trying to tackle it as a business problem. Business can be described as 'the management of scarce resources' and any business will have limiting factors. In my case I need to recognise that the limiting factor is not 'raw materials' but rather 'my time and energy'. With the best will in the world, I could never do all the things I want to do with all the stuff, some of it has to go (a lot).

I also need to set myself some rules. I love the crafting sessions but I need to spend less time on prep and definitely not bring things home to sort out. I will have to try sorting the craft cupboard at the centre (couple of hours once a month) but maybe concentrate on using what we have and not letting supplies build up.

I have been thinking about how to divide my room into a sanctuary for sleeping and a useful place for working/ crafting/ doing paperwork. I did try to work out if the current kitchen table would fit in here with the bed last time I moved things round (it wouldn't).

I found some useful ideas - one small bedroom which had a bespoke platform base in sections, with storage in each section and a space in the middle, just the right size for the owner's Christmas tree and layouts of lots of small bedrooms.

I have ordered two sets of cube shelves (this was my other expenditure last week). I intend to use them on their side and raise the bed to stand on top. I have had the same (or very similar) set of shelves for many years and it has withstood all sorts of treatment. I have previously made DS1 a midi bed using an old dressing table and set of drawers with an old (very thick heavy wooden frame) bed suspended between them). So I am pretty sure it will be safe.

The cubes will provide storage (the small sets of cardboard drawers I currently have fit into cube shelves) and I have some small baskets and lots of card boxes which can be covered. The underbed space will be 77cm (width of cube shelves) + the current underbed space leg height to side rail and my large chest of drawers will fit under. When I am in bed, none of the stored things will be visible, so should be a more tranquil, peaceful environment - will aim to leave the laptop on the desk away from the bed.

I have a large old sideboard downstairs which I love and all the boys hate. It has sustained a lot of damage (no longer 'square', mirror can't be fixed on as screw holes have gone - I had already replaced the original screws and redrilled holes - drawer doesn't fit, back is falling off and it has a couple of splits). It is long and slim and would potentially make an excellent desk and as I am the 'end user' it doesn't matter what I do with it (will need some alteration - no way to get it upstairs in one piece). The top does come off - it tries to every time I have tried to move it. It would fit into the room and not be obtrusive.

So my major task this week is to clear as much stuff as possible (being realistic or maybe ruthless). and organise the rest, whilst waiting for the cubes to arrive. Next weekend I need to move as much as possible to the former landing and the bathroom, including the mattress. Then make up the furniture, then put it into place.

I also have a plan for tackling the kitchen (the small table has finally made it to the kitchen, only 3 months since I cleared it for moving - they put more stuff on it) but will probably do that the following week, if I can move my arms and legs by then. It will be a clear, thoroughly clean and then put back with a few additions (rails to hang pans, tools etc). Will then leave it for a while to see what works and what needs further tweaking.

Putting together a start of the month checklist, a weekly morning and evening cleaning routine etc - not much on atm, the idea is to start with a few jobs and once you are managing those comfortably you can add more.

Today I am grateful for paper and pens, for a good book to read and for progress (somewhere between snail and treacle but building).
    Last edited by mothernerd; 07-01-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jan #16 SFD 8/18 Food £100/£100 Travel £3.60/£20 DIY £0/£30 Ent £4/£50
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 8th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 24,732 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Almost recovered so was able to really get on with some clearing. helped that DD was on night shift so didn't emerge till 3.30pm..

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. Slow progress but small steps.. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. TV Knitting also done tonight, due to declutter in bedroom finally found complex project, albeit too late to actually do any..

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Moved most of the day, mainly in 15 minute slots & mainly decluttering though did pop out with the pooches for 15 mins.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) another NSD today so 4/18

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say £250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. Filling in book with receipts, found most of them.

-£5 to foodbank / charity Will do this week. Tried to purchase something from charity, held up by website, will investigate. Still ongoing, try again tonight to purchase item

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Cutting down - I have so many clothes etc that I do not wear. We had a lifestyle change & it means many of the clothes I really do not need any more..Found lots more stuff when doing a declutter, seems inevitable it will get worse before it gets better.

-meal plan Lunch was leftover bubble & squeak cakes & an egg again, for DH crispbakes. Was going to make pea & ham soup but couldn't find the peas..Supper was curry, a YS MnS meat dish & made a pan full of lentil Dhal, bought bhajis & fusion food with oriental snacks YS'd from MnS.

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later] Do not exercise as was - like many people - put off at school. And I was also rubbish! Put off swimming by being pushed into the deep end (by the swimming teacher!) which instead of having the desired effect of getting me swimming, actually nearly drowned me..dolly84 your experience sounds much like mine!! Real problem was that the teacher pushed me into the deep end from behind, I am deaf so had no idea what she was going to do so was totally unprepared. The test was to swim a length, so I had asked if I could swim from shallow end to deep (NO) or walk down the steps & swim the length (also NO). She had to use the pole thingy to rescue me...and I never did get my certificate for swimming a length, although I did eventually learn to swim I never liked going underwater ..

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through. Now have 2 books on the go..

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family..Not so good as caught one of dogs digging up bulbs I planted yesterday, horrible animal..

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove. Completed survey but failed on eBay front, found one shoe of a pair planning to sell but so far no sign of its mate, ah well that led to a lot of sorting out & I did find stuff that I was missing, so a benefit of a type.
    Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 8th Jan 18, 5:59 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Happy Monday everyone!

Got up extra early just to make this post; regular updates are keeping me anchored. Today should, and will be and NSD.
    I had a smart meter fitted this weekend and it has made me a little obsessed with my electricity usage.
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    I've looked into smart meters. SSE my supplier is bombarding me with spam...I mean hints that I need one. I think it would make a few (ie everyone else in this house) realise how much we burn through. I mutter(grumble/complain?) about competing with Blackpool Illuminations but no-one knows what I'm on about. However, I've heard alot of stories about costing extra to switch (which I do a lot) so I haven't yet made any commitment. I've also considered something along the lines of Hive.
    Let me know how you get on please dizzyblnd.

Made Dad a Bday cake yesterday, haven't lost my touch. DH shaped it into a car as the Kids were glued to phones. Caught up with the ironing, re-listed some bits on fleabay. DD1 spotted a similar pair of her old trainers on there and the ££ lit up in her. She cleaned them up for listing. Also asked me to list some other bits she won't use. She's learning.
    After a long rant on the messaging service, and a follow up email Benefit Makeup sent an apology package for DD1 (£100 quids worth she thinks some of which she's hoping to sell on fleabay) and a little sorry for me too. I spent most of Friday morning asking DD1 what the products do... SO OUT OF TOUCH!

Mothernerd As a household (not so much me) we pick up bits/hoard upcyclable stuff. I promise you a ruthless purge feels good and other items soon take their place!
    Last edited by DancingDragons; 08-01-2018 at 6:01 AM. Reason: Grammar 0_o
    2018 Jan NST #26 | NSD 10/18 |
    I can do this! Debt: 11,989.29 goal DFD June 2020
    -34lb to 2019. Lost 6lb

• dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 8th Jan 18, 8:18 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Thanks Fmess I'll try those tips.

Dancing dragons- I'm with sainsburys and they said they were fitting them in every house so I got one. I'm not sure how I feel yet as the weekend seems to be high. £3-4 each day for both electric and gas. I don't feel we did anything excessive energy wise just normal weekend jobs like cook, wash clothes etc. I'll keep u updated.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 32,732 Thanks
    dolly84
    I'm not keen on having a smart meter, I keep my useage down as much as possible so I think it would just depress me as I can't cut down much more realistically. Plus I heard the horror stories about badly trained people fitting them and them setting on fire.

I'm waiting for the gas people to arrive and start digging up here today, they were supposed to be here for 9am but not one is ever on time these days.

Sold an item on ebay but it was DD's so she gets the money and I do all the work but at least it is one thing out of the house.

I need to buy some butter today but apart from that shouldn't spend on anything else, plan to walk the dog, go for a run and work.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 8th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning!

The past week has gone so quickly and I've been losing track of my days. I've been trying to tally up my NSD.

Last weeks spends looked a bit like this.

Monday: NSD
    Tuesday: NSD
    Wednesday: Took boy for haircut, £7.
    Thursday: New alarm clock, £11 and a bite to eat £2.98.
    Friday: £3.20 on pasties for lunch and £6 in poundstore.
    Saturday: NSD.
    Sunday: £3.05 on take away coffee.

So its all the little bits adding up. I need to plan my days ahead and forecast future spends and allocate days where I dont wish to spend. This may help me keep more motivated.

So hopefully this week should go something like this.

Monday: Lunch out with relative.
    Tuesday: NSD.
    Wednesday: Hopefully NSD, not sure of plans yet.
    Thursday: Hair appointment and games night at friends.
    Friday: NSD hopefully. Plans could change.
    Saturday: NSD as working.
    Sunday: NSD as working.

I'm hoping to get at least 3/4 NSD this week. If I need to spend I'll try to do it on days where I already know I'm likely to spend.

I don't know how everyone else works out there NSD but I don't account for outgoings already budgeted for i.e. the boys extra curricular activity as I've already a pot for this. I just class additional spends not accounted for like a cup of coffee out/lunch out/spends in shops which aren't neccesarily needed etc.

Happy Monday everyone.
    Check out my Diary
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 8th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 26,118 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Good morning,

today should be SFD number 6. Have my lunch with me and will go to the gym.

I have £120 left till the 22nd when CB comes in and am sure that'll do. Hopefully get the £200 back from DH soon after too and might just put them straight onto the CC pretending I never had them.

Cooked three big portions of Bolognes/Chilli mix. And have enough lunches in the freezer/fridge for this week. Was planning on going shopping on Wednesday before DH comes back but might just eek it out till Friday and put together an Asda pick up order. The kids and me will be fine (enough milk, but fruit prob run out tomorrow, but they'll survive). Also got a dinner planned from the freezer (chicken pie and HM chips) for DH first night back on Thur although he might not appreciate coming home to an empty fridge. We'll see, the plan is there.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 08-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    NST Janus 42
    SFD 8/20 spends 220/450
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 1900 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 105216 (01/18) OP 0
    • Nicky Noo Na
    • By Nicky Noo Na 8th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 6,597 Thanks
    Nicky Noo Na
    NSDs not going as well as I'd hoped still stuck on 2!

I didn't spend on Friday but OH bought a pump for the car tyres. Sat was very spendy but it usually is! Tesco shop delivered and errands done in town. Got a few bargains in the mothercare sale though which is good. Sunday should have been NSD but put money in for tea/coffee at church. Today was toddler group this morning £1.50 a week but I put £6 aside on Saturday so today will be a NSD if I don't spend anything else

Sorted a bag out for charity at the weekend which has already been collected and christmas decs came down so house looking a bit tidier. Catching up on washing today, big pot of veg soup cooking away and planning on painting some thank you cards with DD later so a nice chilled and cheap afternoon at home!

Received a message last night offering me free zumba for the month of Jan so planning to give it a go tonight. Never done it before but have been assured it's good fun.

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 8th Jan 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 9,420 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today is NDS....5

DS3 & 4 toddled off to school happily,

DS4 was assessed this morning and needs braces. He will be an urgent case and goes back in April (new accounting year). Bless the NHS and all who allow her to continue.

DS1 and 2 are enjoying their last day of freedom before incarceration tomorrow. (School goes back)

It was so easy to get just 2 kids out the door this morning. No doubt it will be a return to shouting tomorrow.

Need to get puff pastry out of freezer for pasties for lunchboxes tomorrow.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 29,247 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    I am struggling back onto the wagon after some months off and depletion of my emergency fund. I need to be frugal and get my savings going again so I'm back, determined to stay up to date on here, and save some money.
    I'm just going to cheerlead for this month as I'm really late to the party but I am going to use you all for motivation and inspiration.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 32,732 Thanks
    dolly84
    Today is NDS....5

DS3 & 4 toddled off to school happily,

DS4 was assessed this morning and needs braces. He will be an urgent case and goes back in April (new accounting year). Bless the NHS and all who allow her to continue.

DS1 and 2 are enjoying their last day of freedom before incarceration tomorrow. (School goes back)

It was so easy to get just 2 kids out the door this morning. No doubt it will be a return to shouting tomorrow.

Need to get puff pastry out of freezer for pasties for lunchboxes tomorrow.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    My DD had her braces fitted in November 2016 on the NHS as it was severe enough a case, they are on for 2 years then 2 years more with a retainer at night. We are so lucky to get it done as it is purely cosmetic really.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 32,732 Thanks
    dolly84
    Sold an item of mine on ebay this morning so that went to the post office with DD's item when I went out to do the school run. I got £15 after fees.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 8th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 10,924 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD 5/18
    Have spent most of the day trying to figure out why this laptop would not connect to the internet. I've fixed it for the moment but don't quite know how I did it.
    So really haven't done much else. Dinners coming from freezer. Was looking for something to defrost for tomorrow {gammon joint) and I can't believe how much we've managed to use up. Lots of fish, three packs of YS liver and a few other things left. Just have to try to use up (or dispose of) all the bits that C has saved. It wouldn't have been so bad if he'd used them up gradually but he didn't and I don't know what half of it is. Oh well, it'll be a surprise.
    Really, really cold here. Hope it warms up a bit. I've got to go the hairdressers tomorrow.
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 6,665 Posts
    • 67,782 Thanks
    greent
    [QUOTE=greent;73678354]Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    Today's actions towards this - transferred money into kitchen fund .

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Today: - more kitchen packing up done (lifting/ bending/ stretching) 10k steps done whilst doing so
    [B]Non-negotiables
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) (not fussed if I don't achieve this as long as budgets aren't blown) 1/18.
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 98.05/£400 - OH went to the shops today and went off list....
    Fuel - £63/65 -
    Toiletries - 0/£10
    Household - 55.63 /£20 - Busted as bought new toaster (after yesterday's fire!) and some new teatowels as they were on offer and I have a pile only fit for rag bag after kitchen works complete!
    Clothes - 12.13/ £60
    Social - 86.39 + McDs/ £100 (all bday related)
    Gifts - 15/ £50 - gorgeous item found half price perfect for sister's bday
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - DONE
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full, usual monthly pymt to OH's car finance. Some money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565). Min payments to both 0% CCs this month until kitchen expenditure known in full, instead of estimated
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok. Today I repaired my favourite cardigan which had developed some holes on one shoulder - luckily along the seams, so I've sewn them up

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £0.29/£50 Aim to declutter 50 items. 95/50
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan : n/a today

Very cold today, so have had the heating on - but it has meant I've got 2 loads of washing dry - will put another load on to wash later Am planning on ironing some of it before bed.
    More kitchen stuff packed up. No more for CS, but have identified some Denby which I will list on fleabay (although possibly not until after works finished, as all packaging stash is being used on packing kitchen breakables up! )
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £0/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £20.45/£1000 PAYDOX18 £991.65/£17044.10 Decluttered 151/2018 items
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6,794 Posts
    • 50,585 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Chandelier. For me an nsd is a day where you spend, budgetted or not. Weekly or random activities (eg weekly paying kiddie ones or window cleaners who could turn up on a variety of days) have their monthly amount put aside (physically in an envelope if necessary) at the start of the month, thus keeping you an NSD on the day you have to use that money.

I do not count SO and DD as their removal date may vary according to weeknds/bank hols. Some count even these as spend days - they are truly hardcore!

Nicky Noo Na - fre zumba sound good!

CCL - you get to wear the lycra and wave the pompoms for January!
    Last edited by apple muncher; 08-01-2018 at 5:51 PM.
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 36,633 Thanks
    DawnW
    SFD number 5 today.

Dzzyblnd my two new favourite energy saving tricks are to switch the oven off a few minutes before my dinner is done, it keeps on cooking but using less electricity and then when youíve taken the food out of the oven, leave the door open so the heat can escape into your house and be an extra heat source for a few minutes.
    Originally posted by Fmess
    An alternative is to put a large pan of water in the oven (switched off, with door closed) to heat up a bit in the residual heat - used to work well when I had an electric oven (the water is useful for washing up, cleaning etc), but less so with my current, gas one I still do it though!
    NSDs for January 5 /18
    Decluttering 24 /31

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 8th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 22,834 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Not feeling well (but otherwise cheerful). Stayed up late working my way across the bedroom, sorting and then freeing a small set of drawers which are going downstairs.

Woke about 9am (car park time), took my pills and must have dozed off again. Couldn't turn the top off the water bottle so took it through to DS3 and asked for a timecheck (if he's awake his laptop is on). Nearly fell through the floor when he said quarter to one.

Quickly washed and dressed, found library book that had to be returned, picked up charity bag and walked to chair exercise picking up a soft roll on th way (breakfast/ lunch - did not even have time to swallow cough medicine).

Was late but not much. Had to stop part way through the session as I went dizzy. Spent the rest of the session in an armchair (high back and supportive wings) doing what I could and drinking water.

Called a taxi for mum, picked up another couple of things on the way home - ys potato salad to go with beeetroot and cooked meat I already have. Irritating cough has become intrusive, throat is very sore and feels like it is closing up. Soft food only for the time being and must try to make it to the doctor's tomorrow morning.

Hopefully can do more tidying soon but feel weak as a kitten atm.

Although I have spent money today, my total needs to go down as I had misallocated oven gloves (which were owed from my Christmas money) and forgot something bought for mum (therefore it was included in my total).

Today I am grateful for considerate friends, for soft rolls (only had crispbread at home) and my bed (it is a little crowded atm but will improve). Maybe I should tackle the 'craft potential' stash as I don't want to be bothered with anything atm.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jan #16 SFD 8/18 Food £100/£100 Travel £3.60/£20 DIY £0/£30 Ent £4/£50
    No Debt No mortgage
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 6,794 Posts
    • 50,585 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for being able to stride along, for walking in the darkness (I like the anonymity and feeling of space it gives me), for good work colleagues, for an enjoyable day at work, for realising now that I had only cut out enough wing parts for 6 owls and not the 12 I needed and not on Sat, for time chatting with dd, for dd meeting me off the bus.
    018 sell

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

465Posts Today

5,770Users online

Martin's Twitter