Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,793Posts
    • 50,577Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST January #1; NSD 11/18; Ex 14/12; craft 2/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 14
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,769 Thanks
    misstara
    A spendy day today - £35.05 on food, £38.37 petrol, £1.50 drink, £1 on weighing machine and £7.99 on a corner caddy for the shower to keep toiletries tidy.

Me and OH sat down today and made a list of all the additional little things in the flat that need done/bought and the corner caddy was one of them. There are various things in each room that need done and the plan is to sort them out over the coming year.

Budgets - £45.03/£150 food, £38.37/£100 petrol, £0/£50 social.

Went to the gym today, first time for ages that I've felt well enough to do so and plan to go again tomorrow. Spent £1.50 on a drink there as I forgot to lift my water bottle and also spent £1 on the fancy weighing machine that does your weight, bmi and body fat. I plan to weigh myself once a month to hopefully see some progress
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1141.10 (50.4% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £703.58 (11.8% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 1/60
    Emergency fund - £30/£1000. Car fund - £75/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 3/6. Groceries target £82.80/£150. NSD target 9/18.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 6th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 10,617 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    #23 goal setting and reporting in for January
    Janus where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?
    • 12 months from now I wish to have:
    • Paid back BOMAD
    • Paid back OH's parents
    • Cleared OH's 0% credit card, he seems very reluctant to do this but can not or will not explain to me why
    • Repair ensuite
    • Empty room of fun - name children have for the room we end up using as a dumping ground (my parents are going to live with us between selling their current house and buying their new house. We don't have a date for this yet, but when they sell up we want to be ready)
    • Build a wood store
    • Process wood we have in various places for multi-fuel stove
    • Give snug a makeover, change it into office for me and OH
    • Declutter our bedroom
    • Get quotes for replacing boiler & HW system
    • Declutter outbuildings
    • Make a coal store
    • Save £11350 for:
      - Boiler & HW system replacement £4000 (this is a guestimate)
      - Emergency fund £1000
      - Replacement for my car £6000
      - Snug makeover £350

Not sure about 5 years, I'll need to think about this a lot more and discuss it with OH.

10 years:
    • Mortage free
    • Debt free
    • 6 months outgoings saved

Activity. Resurrect knitting, last year I finally managed to knit a couple of things, now I need to get started again and keep it up, even if it is only a little at a time. ALSO, be active. Keep moving, I know I should and I want to be fitter so I need to give myself a very good talking to.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs 5 so far this month
    Budgets :
    Food - £35.06/£135
    Fuel - £0/£110
    £5 to food bank/charity

Always
    plan your meals, currently only doing a couple of days at a time
    take a shopping list, always do
    take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about, I'm a SAHP who Home Educates we take packed lunches, snacks, and drinks everywhere and keep snacks for unplanned needs in the car
    avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens, we usually do this but we might end up at an indie cafe for a HE meet later in the month if we do, drinks will be restricted to water (free) and any leftovers boxed to bring home

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. I love reading this and other DFW threads for inspiration and motivation. This is something we already embrace, but refocusing on this is no bad thing.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. I want to research a chronic condition I have and learn what I can do to manage this, which will affect me positively, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: I need to resume surveys etc. I am also going to tot up how much we have in reward points etc and plan how to make the most of them.

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 6th Jan 18, 11:36 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 10,617 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Dolly and igamogam apparently because our teaching and learning policy basically says weíll do everything to ensure the progress of our students, if I tutor them as well, then Iím apparently being paid privately to do what Iím supposed to do in my contract. Itís rubbish really and the issue was actually only with a couple of staff, one who apparently tutored 10+ students each year and didnít put much effort into their lessons in school. Iím not sure Iíd have time anymore but itís just another way to try and control us. In theory, we can tutor students from othe schools but being as weíre the largest around and the main A level provider, all my tutees used to be from my school.
    Originally posted by Fmess
    You could look into tutoring for a distance learning company.

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 6th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 5,467 Posts
    • 44,200 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Goals : short term lose weight and get house in de cluttered order. Long term early retirement and no debt ��

Grateful for : being able to cook from scratch.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 6th Jan 18, 11:58 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 24,732 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Back much better today & that is reflected in the amount I got done..

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. Slow progress but small steps.. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. TV Knitting done tonight, will really make an effort to do some complex work in the afternoons, if only for an hour. Can't be less because the patterns are so complex!

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Moved self out into garden, if only for an hour.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) an NSD today so 3/18

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say £250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. Found a little book to records all spends in, think this will be a revelation!

-£5 to foodbank / charity Will do this week. Tried to purchase something from charity, held up by website, will investigate. Still ongoing, try again tonight to purchase item

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Cutting down - I have so many clothes etc that I do not wear. We had a lifestyle change & it means many of the clothes I really do not need any more..

-meal plan Lunch was leftover bubble & squeak cakes & an egg, for DH bacon sandwiches. We had a fake Nandos for supper, used up some (defrosted) chips before they went bad..still a bit left for another lunch.

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later] Do not exercise as was - like many people - put off at school. And I was also rubbish! Put off swimming by being pushed into the deep end (by the swimming teacher!) which instead of having the desired effect of getting me swimming, actually nearly drowned me..

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through. Now have 2 books on the go..

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family..Out into the garden which is good for my mental health (as well as the garden). Try not to feel that I should be inside decluttering..

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove. Plan to eBay lots of stuff, watch this space Nothing done yet, but am hopeful to do some tomorrow. We are promised a cold night & a bright day, good for photos. Also have some surveys to complete.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 7th Jan 18, 7:12 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    What is your dream goal?
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    I always wanted have a novel published. The writing dream is a hard one, and not remotely a good financial one. The traditional form doesn't pay, I wish I could tell teen me this

There are many other "likes" You know, small holding, pension, quality of life, but that's the dream.

I intelligently left the hot choc and packed lunches on the kitchen worktop yesterday. Outlet food shops are SOOO expensive with their captive audience, I resented it so much, but I got two new pairs of shoes for DD2 for less than one pair would have cost on the high street. Combined, though the cost is the same. DD1 found some trainers sheís been eyeing up at 50% off. DD2 discovered how long people will queue in a BuildaBear shop, (over an hour!) she had her heart set on a bear and it was her money. Sheíd never stand that patiently for anything else.
    About Surveys: Iíve done Swagbucks in the past for surveys, it did cover a few birthday presents. Itís a commitment to build up the points, I got about £50 in vouchers over a year. Its time consuming though and currently doesnít fit around everything else I do. I also am part of an internet monitoring thing which is by invite only, unfortunately.
    Non-negotiables: Will lose a NSD today due to not remembering to get Bday card for dad.
    -Need to plan food for week after next today and update budget.
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read,
    -A few more chapters read. Reviews left for past books (helps authors, costs nothing).
    - Out: 2 bags of stuff to cs & 1 bag of outgrown ruined unrepairable shoes. 3 items, but full of items
    Gratitudes: DH doing some housework. (I left him a list ) Kids showing some level of money savyness. This thread for endless motivation. DH not giving up on Dry January while out with friends.

Have cosy Sunday, whatever your doing.
    Last edited by DancingDragons; 07-01-2018 at 7:14 AM.
    2018 Jan NST #26 | NSD 10/18 |
    I can do this! Debt: 11,989.29 goal DFD June 2020
    -34lb to 2019. Lost 6lb

• Fmess
    • By Fmess 7th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Yesterday was spendy but had lots of positives. My cleaner didn’t have time to clean this week due to her daughter being ill, saving me £20. My best friend gifted me an amazing corner sofa for free and my cleaner/dog walker uses her big car (which she bought from me last month) to collect it for me for free I went out for dinner for my dad’s birthday and Mum paid for us all and I used my Christmas money to pay for a massage

Today I am so sore from carrying the corner sofa down two flights of stairs (stored in an attic) room. I don’t think I’ll be doing much activity as just sitting still hurts. I also have my friend’s boyfriend coming round to assess how much it’ll cost to fix the dripping toilet and I’m hoping a friend of a friend will come and pick up my old sofa which I’m gifting to them for free. I was considering selling it but I think I’d rather do a good deed, especially as I got my new one for free!

Have a good day all.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 7th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 32,723 Thanks
    dolly84
    sashanut - when I was at middle school we had swimming lessons once a week, as was typical of the time the teacher from school was also the swimming instructor, ours was a very large and deeply unpleasant lady and she used to walk up and down the pool with a large stick with a hook on the end which she used to push people under with. Apart from that lovely experience I have had no other swimming lessons, I watched other people swim and copied and can do the breaststroke and backstroke well enough to not drown in a regular pool (the sea might be a different story if I fell off a boat) but am not good enough to do it for exercise.

DancingDragons - my kids used to love Build a Bear, like most parents I hated it. The other day we saw 3 bears in a charity shop, two were just the bears £5 each and one was fully dressed, he was a boy bear and had jeans, shirt, jumper and braces and little boots, they wanted £10 for him. If it had been a few years back he would have been coming home with us, DS (12 yesterday) still found it hard to leave him there - bless him.

Fmess - well done on your new sofa and getting it brought home too, love it when things like this happen.

I need to get some lunchbox food for the kids today, they go back to school tomorrow, when I did the grocery shop last week I couldn't face getting it then it was just too depressing to think about. Might make some bread rolls though.

DS & DH have gone to football, when they get back I think me and DH will do some jobs outside, we have a lot of trees and all the leaf mulch has made the path outside our house slippy so will give that a good sweep (will take ages as we have a long garden), we need to move some things at the back of the house as the gas main people are coming to dig up tomorrow to find out where the water is getting into the gas pipe and making our gas go off. Can't wait for that as I work from home and will be freezing tomorrow.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 7th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today is NSD.......4!

All lunchbox tat was sorted at the end of last week. I have ys rolls in the freezer, fillings, cake, fruit, crisps and drinks. I feel like it is MY last night before school starts back Never a nice feeling. They will be tired and grumpy tomorrow night when they come home, so quick easy supper planned and it is one of their favorites so no chance of a mutiny (h/m falafel, chickpeas soaking already)

Child benefit comes in tomorrow so the budget will start to look more realistic than my current 'wishful thinking 'bank balance.

Off to find PE kit bags.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 7th Jan 18, 3:42 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Spendy day today as I went shopping. Still on 3/18

Not done much else, need to get on top of the washing and make sure I have lunches prepped for tomorrow though.

Not hit step count today and don’t imagine I will but I should all next week (at work) so I’m so so bothered about that.

Grocery budget is looking full so I have made a meal plan for the week. W.E have enough food in now to last the week (and hopefully) most of next week too.
    January grocery challenge £189.15/£275 | January NSD 06/18
    Credit Card 1: £95.00 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,233.50 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,173 (2.79% APR) | Emergency Fund: £65.56/£1000 | Honeymoon Fund: £474.16
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 7th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 26,118 Thanks
    thriftylass
    SFD number 5 today, cut son's hair, batch cooking started (more tonight) and tidied and decluttered (loads left to do over next few days). Also took damaged wardrobe door off for filling, sanding and painting later.

Kids are having a last lazy day and i make the most of noone being in the way.

If i get loads done before they're in bed i might relax tonight with a new book
    NST Janus 42
    SFD 8/20 spends 220/450
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 1900 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 105216 (01/18) OP 0
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 7th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 10,924 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Do you find you wind down at the weekend? Even though I'm retired I still feel entitled to do very little (ie nothing!)
    Did change the bedding and do a load of washing and catch up on the ironing (not very much as I've been doing it every day).Oh, and I am still tidying and doing little things as I go along.
    So NSD 4/18. Lots of little things to do before next Monday so maybe some low spend days next week.
    It's freezing cold here but there is the most amazing pink and grey sunset. Simple pleasures!
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 6,665 Posts
    • 67,781 Thanks
    greent
    Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    Today - OH changed one of the garden gates latches. Too cold to be outside longer than necessary, so he only did the really **ackered one, which is also the one used at least twice a day.

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Sore hips and lower back from bowling yesterday (I have bad hips from DS2 & DS3 pregnancies and lower back from a couple of car accidents) Clearly moving in a way very different to normal! Today has therefore just been about getting stuff done which needed to be done

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) (not fussed if I don't achieve this as long as budgets aren't blown) 1/18.
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 101.05/£400 - OH went to the shops today and went off list....
    Fuel - £63/65 -
    Toiletries - 0/£10
    Household - 22.63 /£20 - IKEA plastic bags
    Clothes - 12.13/ £60
    Social - 86.39 + McDs/ £100 (all bday related - comprised of 2 games of bowling and 2 rounds of drinks for the 6 of us (DS2's last minute request) and McDs for 3/4 children afterwards)
    Gifts - 0/ £50
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - DONE
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full, usual monthly pymt to OH's car finance. Some money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565). Min payments to both 0% CCs this month until kitchen expenditure known in full, instead of estimated
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok.

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £0.29/£50 (although have been doing surveys today so will ultimately see the benefit when at a level to cashout) Aim to declutter 50 items. 95/50
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan : n/a today

DD went back to uni today (OH should be on his way back from taking her soon-ish) - with 3 large reusable bags (the plastic-fabric type, as opposed to the 10p type) of food and drink - so I now have a small bit of space in my freezer and lots on the shelves! She might come home again first week in March, otherwise it will be for Easter hols. Once a little more freezer room appears I will batch cook up some of the mince in there (have 3kg, all 5%, all purchased YS....) for bolognaise and chilli - will be easy to microwave for meals when kitchen is being done

Need to buy a new toaster - ours ended up in flames today! Will see if my mum has a spare one in meantime (think she has a 2slice one spare - I want another 4 slice one, ultimately, but can't find another purple one to match the kettle) She has a cold, though - so doubt I'll get it for a few days (DS3 loves toast, but not from the grill - it's too crunchy done that way!)

Has been a good weekend here
    x
    Last edited by greent; 07-01-2018 at 7:02 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £0/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £20.45/£1000 PAYDOX18 £991.65/£17044.10 Decluttered 151/2018 items
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 7th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    4NSD, but spendy today. Food delivery £80 needed stocks of all sorts. Lakeland - £70 for some vacuum storage bags, oven liner and green vege bags. Not a lot of storage space here so hoping spare bedding, duvets etc can be bagged and stored on top of wardrobe. Vege bags keep veg fresh for ages, had run out but now restocked. Amazon- £28 for Christmas tree and decoration storage which can then be stored in the eaves at the end of the attic bedroom. Too damp without protection. So all in a good cause and an attempt to start tidying and decluttering.

Had a few days poorly with flare up of psoriasitic arthritis, am starting to feel better so may be able to deal with cluttered kitchen. I like the idea of not going to bed until shiny sink done. Can't see my sink at the moment!

Carrot soup on the hob, and dinner in the oven. Making enough so I don't have to cook tomorrow.

I've had several dreams over the years, some came true like going down the Nile, albeit just after the troubles a couple of years ago, but it was fab as no crowds around monuments. Sad for locals relying on tourism though. Seeing Ephesus this year.
    Having a bungalow - one floor living- for the rest of my life with a lovely garden. I would still like to visit China but debts and ageing progress getting in the way. I also wish I had carried on with the part time degree I started late eighties, but an alcoholic husband who eventually couldn't work, my having to work full time and support three daughters made it impossible to carry on. My memory these days would be useless for exams etc. so couldn't restart. At least I got the Certificate of Higher Education.

Hey ho, will get on with the things I can do!

Next week's meal plan done, should only need bread and milk, but other things may crop up.

Booked two gym sessions.

Will do some knitting tonight, if I can figure out where I got to before I hid it as wasn't doing it.

Hugs to all DD
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 7th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 20,489 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD achieved toady - 4/18
    Used food already in for breakfast and dinner. Had a couple of home made scones this evening.
    Grateful for:
    Walk in the park - free exercise.
    Having a chilled out day/evening.
    Doing a few bits around the flat.
    Reading a book.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived NSD 12/18
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 7th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 50,577 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for finally getting another NSD, for happy buses, for my coat and woolly hat, for getting in a workout before dd got up, for baking, for finishing an owl with dd and then starting a dolly (18" high - yikes), for a functioning washing machine, for hugs from my family, for still having the fairy lights draped around the lounge - so pretty and magical.
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 7th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 50,577 Thanks
    apple muncher
    My dream goals are
    -be slim and strong
    -FIRE
    018 sell

• mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 7th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Evening turtles!

NSD #5 today. Got a free dinner too with left overs at MILs.

Work was good, very productive.

Not a lot else going on, very tired and heading to bed soon!

Perhaps a cup of tea....
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 7th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 2,663 Thanks
    lcc86
    Thanks guys for your concern with my eye - it's much better today... This has been a recurring problem over the last couple of years, and doctors haven't managed to pin it down to anything more specific than 'allergies' even after tests. Will still keep the appointment for next Friday though.

Yesterday I had to buy a few bits for the rabbits, also got some new drinking glasses as I keep breaking mine while washing up (oops!). Just topped up on essentials. Also paid for dinner - £30 each. Had a few words with OH last night about the home situation, he was rude to me so I got cross and left it. However today I came home to find he'd cleaned the bathroom and done a couple of other jobs so some of it must've sunk in....

Today has been a NSD and a healthy day. Been out volunteering most of the day then out horse riding, it's absolutely freezing here even with loads of layers on. Have ended up with a massive headache, which I think is the result of not eating or drinking enough through the day (second oops). It's got a lot better once I got a hot meal inside me. Going to have an early night as I have to train new staff tomorrow so can't afford not to be well. It'll be a long enough day without feeling ill lol.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    25/08/17 £802 owed 21/12/17 cleared and determined to stay debt free this time
    £762/£1000 EF £718 saved for household jobs
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 7th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 8,812 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening everyone!

I'm not sure what happened today but my energy seemed to disappear into a sinkhole. I'm wondering if it's because I spent time around people Friday then on to family, then stayed over and all day Saturday. I'm just not a people person. Felt totally depleted and didn't get out of bed until after lunchtime, and had a pretty unproductive day.

That said...

Today = NSD number 6 - so not all bad.

I'm feeling the energetic urge to spend... and getting back into these frugal habits is testing my resolve. But I'm ploughing through my fridge contents and cupboards. Almost out of fresh vegetables, and used up last of the bread. On to frozen veg... and carbs can come from rice and some potatoes I have in.

So time for the 'Unabashed devotion to my goals' exercises...

Q1. What is the most important thing to me?
    A1. So I came up with restoring my health & my financial stability.
    Q2. How do I feel playing sport/what do I enjoy about it?
    A2. It gives me a sense of progress... movement - especially when I did my nature walks. They helped me keep some perspective, and connect to the World around me.
    Q3. What is your dream goal?
    A3. To have my own place and be fully independent - and have a social life, and the time/energy and money to go out if I want to.

It's good to ponder these things. I think health has to be first - to get my mood back to where it was 6 months ago... with bad days few and far between, rather than being the norm.

Plan: Rest, eat well, exercise, meditate, have time for me and start to try and build some self-esteem again.
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £5483.65. EF = £2025/£4500
    NST : NSD=11/18 : Food/Spends OVERSPENT
    Exercise Sessions 2/8 + Nature Walk 0/4.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,841Users online

Martin's Twitter