Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,803Posts
    • 50,661Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST January #1; NSD 14/18; Ex 17/12; craft 2/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 13
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 6th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 17,792 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Can I ask a Question please? I've seen a few people here getting amazing vouchers or similar for surveys, which sites are you using please? Is it worthwhile with the amount of time put in?
    Originally posted by mummylewis
    I use Qmee, there is a browser app, and you can sometimes get 5p etc for a search like 'Currys'.
    They do surveys too, around 25p-30p per 20 min survey. The surveys have been a bit thin on the ground since NY but I've made £2 since 1st.
    Won't break the bank, but I'm sat watching youtube most nights so it's not bad for a little bit of side clicking.

What is your dream goal?
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Mine are quite boring.
    I want to get down to my goal weight.
    I want to have decent savings behind me.
    And I want to be a mum

I posted my ebay parcel today and put the profits into Mums fund. Then went for a little walk to hunt down a new pokemon, which was a unsuccessful.
    Had some lunch & cleaned through downstairs (I'll tackle upstairs tomorrow).
    Then I went for a run.

Janus - 12 Months target to repay Mum. £241.03 / £3000
    £14.64 added today.

Activity. Crochet & keep active.
    I've been for another run today and went for a nice long walk. Crochet will be done tonight while watching some youtube.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 25 NSDs 6/25 Day six achieved.
    Only spend was posting my ebay parcel, which buyer paid for I have no plans to spend tomorrow. But I know Monday will be a spend day.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]
    Did my run, pleased as I got a good min/mile too.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... BF did the shopping today, I'm planning on defrosting the freezer, so my food plans are all helping to empty out the freezer.
    We usually buy 5 kg of chicken breasts from the butcher for £25 and freeze them, they last us the month. But I've had to be a bit inventive and pick meals that don't need chicken so we don't restock the freezer.

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Xmas cards cut up for tags ready for next xmas.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
    Ebay profit added to Mums fund. Really enjoyed my run, it's a great mind clearer.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.
    Will keep an eye open for surveys popping up tonight.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Jan NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight 2.1 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 6th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 10,924 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I need to get him to realise that I'm not his mother and that this isn't a hotel, but he gets so defensive any time I bring it up! I am half thinking of going on strike, and just moving any mess he makes into the bedroom (his side of course) and leaving it there until he gets the message!
    I had a friend who went on strike because her OH wouldn't help in the house. It lasted a week and then he said "This place is a mess. When are you going to clear it up." At that point she gave it up as a lost cause. Personally, I think she should have gone on holiday and left him to his own devices. By the way, I hope your eye is ok. That's an awful long time to wait for an appointment.

Bought a joint of beef for roasting for dinner tomorrow. First time in a while I've bought food but didn't have anything that would do three of us for dinner tomorrow and I do like us to eat together on a Sunday. Today everything is still coming from freezer.

I've tried to do surveys but my profile just doesn't seem to fit. Think it's my advanced age, lack of a car and abysmal knowledge of technology.

Been a little bit lazy today but at least everything is still looking tidy.

Hope you've all had a good Saturday.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 32,874 Thanks
    dolly84
    lcc86 - it sounds like you should get your eye checked out before Friday.

Today has been spendy. Have been out for DS's birthday and bought some sandwiches for lunch. Also bought a teapot for £1, a sweatshirt for DS for £2, a brand new microfibre hair wrap for £1.25, some raspberry coloured skinny jeans for me, brand new £3.99 and a Whistles top for me for £2.60 - all charity shop.

Takeaway to buy tonight and that is it for today.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 6th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Thanks Raphael, I'll have a look at qmee now!

MLx
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    laurenh1
    1smallstep Id still use it
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 9,470 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    DancingDragons[/B];73670562]

Do your 8+ You Tube watchers develop whiny noises when what ever it is they need/can't find/taxi doesn't spring into action too?
    But more importantly - TURN OFF THEIR NET! (Warning this triggers instant growlyness)

Like saving money, I'm setting little goals for them when I pop out. If its not done, no internet when I get back.
    by [B
    I often just unplug the router and take it with me in the boot if they won't comply. By the time they realise the stream has not dropped, I am gone (poof!). Sadly they are also good readers, and I can't take all the books with me, we have 1000s. ( They are great insulation ) Passive resistance in our house involves picking up a book. Thank god they have not discovered the tyranny of 'the long bath', but we now have 2 loos, so it would not cause optimum annoyance.

Tbh, because there are 4 of them, 3 go off and play with each other. They have their own homegrown play dates and sleepovers. Plus LEGO.

I have made them chose their own chore today. Starting slowly with just the one, and then I am going to get DS1 and DS2 to start helping with the evening meal. Their laundry does not get done if they don't bring it down when I ask, and if they still don't do it, they have to do it themselves. Clean clothes do not seem to matter to them either.

They know they can earn their allowance by helping out, but they choose not to. They would rather eek out their Xmas, Easter, Summer holiday,Birthday and savings interest, out over the space of the year than buy things. They are very MSE. The new chores are non-negotiable.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 9,470 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Good morning,

My little ones are nearly 4 and 7. I just had a chat with them that things will change in the new year. I. E. No more just getting off the table without clearing your dishes etc etc. They're not too bad but some of your experiences tell me i need to step up the game.
    By the time i was 10 i was home alone after school, went to the bakers, then made fire at home, dishes etc etc.
    Originally posted by thriftylass

I think one of the reasons we were all left alone at home around that time, was that the interest rate went up to 15%, and parents were paying the mortgage and had to go to work (that was me being kind. My parents were utterly carp long before they had a mortgage and should never have been allowed a budgie let alone children)

My boys were so helpful at that age, keep them like that for as long as you can!!!
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 9,470 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Just popping in with a quick question for you home bakers...
    Have been through my cupboards today (Eat ALL the food up!) and located a ood pack of dried yeast, expired recently in my book (sep17). Is it likely to still work? Need to buy in some flour to make use of it so just wanted to check first!!!
    Originally posted by 1SmallStep

Should be fine, when you activate it (warm water, teaspoon of sugar to tablespoon yeast and a pinch of flour - leave for 5 minutes) it will either froth and do its thing or it will do nothing. That will tell you if it is alive or deeed.

If it is not wildly exciting but still a bit frothy, use it in a pizza base rather than trying to make a loaf out of it.

Next time buy it in a little tin rather than a packet - keep it in the fridge and it will see you through to the 2020's.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 6th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    I also have started being firmer again with DD (16)...its hurtful when they see is bows under but don't think to help, particularly when there's only one adult in the house! She was more actively involved in chores until about 2 years ago... Think I picked my battles more recently! No more! But noticed if I ask, she does help!
    Not a nsd today, noticed I had a £8 off 40 spend voucher expiring today plus £2 club card points, so cycled to shop...went round adding up but trying to get things we needed but could fit in two panniers! Now stocked up for the foreseeable for 30.60. Have paying guest here, that's 28 in tonight. Took back some Xmas gifts, 10.70 returned. So an overall profit to the day...but a spend none the less!
    So far on 2 NSDs...tomorrow should be able to be one I think, and Monday, Wednesday, Thursday look good as well.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 9,470 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    If you exchange computer for TV I would have thought we have the same OH
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Is he a triplet? He might be related to mine.

He has boxes of things he has not yet unpacked in the 20 years we have been living together. He says it is too big a job and the thought of it makes him feel sick. He has about 6 left now. Slowly slowly getting there.

He drove me mad with his floordrobe, so I bought him wardrobes, he stored his clothes on the floor in front of them and then refused to take them with us when we moved.

I bought him a Victorian linen press when we moved in to this house and he was told it would double as a coffin unless he put his clothes away. Strangely this seems to be working a little better.

He has only once told me that it was not his fault I have a lower tolerance for mess than he has........

Bizarrely, the kids leaving ANY mess ANYwhere drives him utterly insane.
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 06-01-2018 at 7:33 PM. Reason: Apart from him being a mess nightmare, my DH is a really lovely man.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 67,852 Thanks
    greent
    greent - happy birthday to your DS for today. Mine arrived in the world at 1.22am so I was probably tapping my foot about now waiting to go home.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Mine was born at 3.29am - but I didn't get out until about 4pm, as they were stupidly busy, so I missed the school run in the afternoon (DD was 9 and DS1 6 - OH got home from hospital about 6am and printed off pics of DS2 for them to take into school and show everyone )

1SmallStep - I never use dried yeast (never really got on with it) _ I get blocks of fresh yeast free from the bakery counter in our local Yesc0

Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    No action taken to these goals today - has all been about DS2

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Ten pin bowling today - sort of an activity!

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) (not fussed if I don't achieve this as long as budgets aren't blown) 1/18.
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 52.34/£400
    Fuel - £63/65 -
    Toiletries - 0/£10
    Household - 11.23 /£20
    Clothes - 12.13/ £60
    Social - c90/ £100 (all bday related - need to check on actual spends - comprised of 2 games of bowling and 2 rounds of drinks for the 6 of us (DS2's last minute request) and McDs for 3/4 children afterwards)
    Gifts - 0/ £50
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - DONE
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full, usual monthly pymt to OH's car finance. Some money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565). Min payments to both 0% CCs this month until kitchen expenditure known in full, instead of estimated
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok. 2 things added to CS pile today and some fabric items into fabric recycling pile.

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £0.29/£50 (although have been doing surveys today so will ultimately see the benefit when at a level to cashout) Aim to declutter 50 items. 95/50
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan :
    Unexpected couple of hours bowling (booked online so at least got a tiny bit of cashback too!) - great fun for all 6 of us
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £0/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £20.45/£1000 PAYDOX18 £991.65/£17044.10 Decluttered 151/2018 items
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 6th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 22,853 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I have been out of the house since 1.30pm and have just got in. Turned into a very spendy day (and week) but think I am okay with it and within my budgets. Made myself get up before I fell asleep (had a good sleep but preceeded by 42 hours awake), went out to catch the bus to go to the crematorium. Was dreading it as there is a long walk along a lane (quite busy) once you get off the bus but found it much easier than last time I had to do it.

Left flowers in the memorial hall (there is a book with lists of people's names under the date on which they died) and put a small Christmas tree on my aunt and uncle's grave. Very very grateful that they have now put 2 club chairs in the memorial hall. A comfortable sit down in the warnth was very restorative.

Walked back to the bus stop and did not have long to wait. Did my good deed for the day by warning a woman about some broken glass so that her dog did not cut his paws.Spent most of the journey chatting to a family friend.

Had to wait 15 minutes for any of the buses going past the cemtery so had a quick look round for a calendar (mum has been told one has been bought for her bt it has not yet been delivered and we need it so that appointments can be written up.

Could not find a non-boring calendar but bought a puzzle mag and a can of diet coke (coming from my birthday money - mum has given it me early in case I saw something in the sales). Didn't drink it as I needed the toilet (crematorium toilets were locked and I won't pay the price of the new high tech ones at the bus station).

Cemetery visit accomplished and only a short wait for the bus back to the bus station. Another 10 minute wait for the bus and I was tempted to give up, grab some food and go home (tired, ankles aching, hungry and still not been to the loo as the cemetery ones were locked too).

Mum had said she would pay for the all day ticket so I could do the crem/ cem run but had suggested I could have a ride out with the rest of the day. I am owed oven gloves from my Christmas money (couldn't find any I liked and would not settle for some I didn't as it would bug me every time I used them, for however many years it took to wear them out).

I had thought about going to the big town (8 miles away) or the city (13 miles) and trying deb'nums and picking up some foody bits in MnS (have been eating from the freezer and adding veg or salad) but thought more travel would tire me out.

Then remembered we had a small MnS on the retail park next to Sainsbobs - could try there for oven gloves and the missing bits of mum's shopping (tinned grapefruit and all bran - most people only offer flakes or own brand and it's one of those things where mum doesn't like the own brand in that particular instance. Had struggled to find Orlicks as well, loads of O val teen but again that wouldn't do.

Stopped for something to eat and a hot choc to warm up (longer walk than expected as a former path has gone and I had to retreat and do a dog leg all round). Bought some foodie bits (birthday money, as was the meal) then a spendy trip round Sainsbobs. Ticked off everything on the wanted list plus tinned mandarins (very expensive, frequently out of stock elsewhere), herbs (Beloved recently bought mixed herbs in a larger than usual tub plain with a black lid and I thought they would make good permanent herb jars, given the quantities we use, we can refill from bags bought on our market or the larger 500g packs (some available in Tosco's world food aisle or at the Asian market, DS1 got some in Aldini once).

Also bought 3 large ceramic storage jars in a misty green colour ys to £5.99 each, a bowl in the same range (dark grey outer, green on white vaguely oriental/Arabic design inside) ys to £1.87 (saw similar at the garden centre on Tuesday for a tenner) and a small misty blue tin supposedly for matches but may use it to keep plasters and a tube of antiseptic cream (also ys) and two jute bags for life with polar bears on. I am sure this is not what mum envisaged my spending my birthday money on but they all make me smile, will last for a long time and are useful. Also had a lovely day. I 'm not a dedicated shopper but looking around at lots of nice things and selecting one or two to take home is my kind of shopping.

I did see some baskets (powder coated wire in black and dark grey) which looked useful but I did not have a specific purpose for them - thought it might be useful info for those looking to avoid plastic.

Just behind the tills there was a pile of banana boxes (dolly take note) for customers to take for carrying their shopping. I know they are super strong because all the market traders use them for packing their stock. They are well constructed (some have extra triangles in the corners and can be stacked). If you have a Sainsbobs it is well worth considering them for underbed storage or in a garage (toyboxes/ building your own doll's house/ castle/ fabric folded so you can see each piece/ craft stock apple?). I picked 2 smaller boxes which had held organic celery ( base a bit larger than A4, 5" deep). Could be covered with fabric or paper if they are going to be in general view.

I decide to have a taxi home and when I took out my phone it said You have achieved your steps target. Very pleased about that. Now I have to go through a mountain of receipts and work out what I have spent, what mum is paying for and what has come out of my birthday money.

My budgets are set the same as last month except for an entertainment budget of £50. This is because my film club membership of £20 is due this month (it's also £2 for each film attended). I hope to see some of the evening films this year, not just the classic ones in the afternoon with mum. The film club do excellent work and I want to continue to support them. The other half of the budget is for me to 'do something' to mark my birthday - may be a visit to a gallery or the cinema, don't know. I hope DS2 intends to treat me to a curry eaten over a film watched together - this may involve me actually paying for the curry and him repaying me on payday (after my birthday).

I have done another spendy thing this week but I think this post is quite long enough.

Today I am grateful for tub chairs at the crematorium, for improving health (minor ailments but lots of walking slowly and my shoulder is more flexible) and the joys of simple shopping.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 06-01-2018 at 7:44 PM.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jan #16 SFD 10/18 Food £100/£100 Travel £3.60/£20 DIY £0/£30 Ent £4/£50
    No Debt No mortgage
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 6th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 6,803 Posts
    • 50,661 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for time with my sister in person, for dd and my niece's bf getting on well, for finding dd a new rucksack in a ch shop, for my knitting, for Father Brown (had to try to explain the difference between father Brown and Father Ted to dd...),for prompt buses, for a warm coat, for sewing with dd, for dh putting the pull-up bar back up for me to hang from and stretch my back.
    NST January #1; NSD 14/18; Ex 17/12; craft 2/20 (0); remove 28
    2018 Pay off: £248; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £23,143 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 9,470 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Janus - I will have an orderly household. Spent 4 hours turfing out cupboards and finding loads of stuff I can make use of, and putting the rest where it ought to have been in the first place.
    I still have a long way to go, but I also have a massive N3xt Sale bag full for the charity shop, and have moved out lots of clothes which were 2 yrs younger than DS4. Off to find new homes. bye bye!

Activity. Only cleaning, clearing, tidying and scrubbing

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs I have 3

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s).
    Very happy with the amount of space I cleared/created / filled today. It might not be obvious to anyone else, but the clutter is being reduced.

Always plan your meals;
    yes!
    always take a shopping list; I have a list, but will not go shopping until Monday when I drop the 2 smalls back to school.
    always take lunch/ drink/snacks when out and about;all food within the house.
    avoid all coffee shops, ok

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.
    Found cushion inners I rescued from step-gran. Found the fabric I meant to cover them in. The other cushions in the house need new covers too. I will make new covers once I have finished the painting extravaganza. Should also be a no cost endeavour. Cut up the Xmas cards to make tags for next Xmas and put in a box and stored with the tree in the cupboard of convenience.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can.

January is going to be very tight. It is utterly do-able, but I need to be on top of the food planning and packed lunches. It is just a short 24 days where I need to be on top of my game, and make a list of all the things I want to be doing now, but can't, ready to go in February. I have cleared Xmas completely already , the kids after school clubs are paid for, I have enough to pay off the other 2 residential trips entirely, and I just have the car insurances left on the cc to pay off which I can do 1st Feb. If I stick to the plan I am fine. I am more than fine.

But for some reason I am nervous this year.
    Probably because I have £0 emergency fund after I paid the plasterer 3 days before Xmas. There, at least I know the reason now.

Very short term cash flow problem.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Evening all, today turned out to be spendy. Needed a card for a birthday tomorrow and we forgot! So I'm still on 4 so far.

Just ate a new teriyaki recipe that I found a few days ago. Blooming delicious. Got extra for lunch tomorrow so I hope it's nice cold.

No bites selling those shoes on Facebook. Will try eBay if I get no luck.

Signed up to pinecone research and qmee and joined in on the earn £10 a day board.

Evening turtles!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 6th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 20,542 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day. Sorted out payment for electrical work. Repayment of Mum's overpayment of pension. Had used pension received to pay it back. Set up direct debit for tv licence to come out on 1st February.
    Did a fair bit of walking today.
    Decluttered some more things today.
    My dream goal is to move to another area and living in a property with my own garden.
    Grateful for:
    Spent some time around my friend's this afternoon.
    A understanding GP, had a chat about how I was coping with my Mum's death.
    Went to another Catholic church this evening for 6.30pm mass, which covers Sunday. Think I will be going to this church from now onwards.
    Making scones.
    Started my book about positive things that I have achieved each day.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived NSD 13/18
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 6th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 8,828 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Hey all...

Had a nice evening yesterday/today with my family and have managed another NSD - I'm actually amazed at my progress so far. Been twice to the gym too... so going to try for a nature walk tomorrow.

Today = NSD number 5

Today I am grateful for:
    • Actors and the film/TV industry for making stories that can take me into another World.
    • Fresh drinking water. I know I said it yesterday but it's pretty amazing.
    • My computer - crystal ball on the World around.
    Thank you Universe for all the gifts that continue to manifest in my life. I am abundant and blessed.
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £5483.65. EF = £2025/£4500
    NST : NSD=13/18 : Food/Spends OVERSPENT
    Exercise Sessions 2/8 + Nature Walk 0/4.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 6th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 23,509 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    You Gov is a survey website that you don't get screened out of. My surveys are worth about 50p, sometimes up to £1.50. You need £50 to cash out, it normally takes me 18 months but I don't do all the surveys.
    This is my referral code - I get £2.00 if you sign up and complete some surveys - https://yougov.co.uk/refer/8gbxRf_C4vJVun8IZ2scrQ/

Another good one is My Survey - https://uk.mysurvey.com/ (no referral code) they always email with loads of surveys and you can cash out really quickly, once you get to 575 points you can cash out for £5 Paypal or Amazon. Surveys vary in reward from 50 up to 150 points.

I also like Power of Opinions - their surveys are always short and sweet and although they might only be for 15 or 25p they only take seconds to do and you can cash out at £10 for Paypal or Amazon.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 24 for January
    NSD - 11/18
    (up to 17/01/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 26,123 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Quick check in before bed. Dh off on business trip and me and the kids are staying another night at FIL's. Treated him to a cuppa and a cake at the park today so no SFD. But the next 4 days will be.

Night night
    NST Janus 42
    SFD 8/20 spends 220/450
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 1900 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 105216 (01/18) OP 0
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 6th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 23,509 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Today has been a bit spendy - had to collect DD's blazer and school cardi from the dry cleaners so thought I would also do a bit of shopping while I was in town (this is the town I work in but I never get a chance to shop as always too busy to take a proper lunch break.

DD also came with me as she had to get a friend a present plus had Xmas/birthday money to spend.

Brought everything on the credit card and then I will work out what pots it all needs paying back from and sort that in the week.

Was nice to spend time with DD but a bit rushed as we did not go out until the afternoon, in the morning I managed a tip run and also took DS to the hairdressers.

In between I managed to make a dent in the very messy house, I was feeling overwhelmed but sat down with coffee and chocolate to formulate a plan and then executed it. I was pleased with how much better the house looked after doing a few jobs.
    Still have mount washmore but once DS back at Uni there will only be clothes from 3 people and DD is back at school so only her uniform and not 20 changes of clothes every day!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 24 for January
    NSD - 11/18
    (up to 17/01/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,609Users online

Martin's Twitter