Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,315Posts
    • 5,176Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3 29th Dec 17 at 1:32 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16
    And possibly the last . Not sure if the link works .

From someone who never bothers with diaries ( I!!!8217;m the person who gets one from the office but leaves it in a drawer for 2 years ), to someone who has done two on m s e .

As the title suggests , diary 1 is quit ( 28/10/2015)
    Diary 2 is wondering what now?( 2/04/2017)
    Diary 3 is trying to pickup the pieces of the puzzle and put them together so everything fits . (29/22/17)

I must thank all the regulars ( Lesson Learned, harz, enthusiastic , gigervamp, Anna , copperjar cew Wendy &co. ) plus all the others who have been reading and thanking me along the way.
    I do think that, had the internet and this site had been around when we first had problems that a lot of mistakes wouldn!!!8217;t have happpened.

There are many people worse off of course, but Like others I want to avoid falling down after trying to rebuild myself ready to be more sturdy and robust for what is thrown at me in the immediate future and beyond.

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Hope you enjoy the journey with me .

Thanks
    Ac
Page 4
    • harz99
    • By harz99 18th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    Morning AC, any snow down your way? We had about 6 inches in Co. Durham, enough to get the combi snow plough gritters out in the early hours.

It was fun watching people trying to get their cars out of our car park and up the slope to the exit from our estate, nobody did any preparation and so at least three are now stuck in various places unable to move.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi harz
    No snow down here. Just rain showers , strong wind and cold of course .
    Itís nice seeing snow but not nice when settles for a long time imho
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    Had session with personal trainer yesterday . All good .
    Decided to tackle the clutter and thatís turning out to be a p I t a
    I had a couple of ciders with my friend ,and we came third on the pub quiz .

Back to the clutter. I decided to take everything out of the wardrobe in the music room and start again . This entailed me moving stuff around into the bedroom under the bed etc. In the middle of all that , the wardrobe doors were having a mind of their own . Not 100% if they are realigned properly .
    The bedroom is the tidiest it has been . How long for, I donít know. I will be chucking out some boxes tomorrow , so there should be room to move .
    Iíll get there one day .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    Nice sunny day . Couldnít go far except to the shop, as Iím expecting a dpd delivery of a picture for bedroom. Probably last one I need.
    Chucked boxes and recycling material into newly emptied recycling bin . I have a large box that I got when I purchased a soundbar a couple of years ago. May have to wait 2 weeks to dispose of that .
    I may introduce it to Stanley knife .

Iíll have to move stuff from hallway and into the music room to be sorted / dumped. I took stuff from the top of the wardrobe yesterday and Iím very reluctant to put anything back up there as the the room looks much more cheery without the clutter . Iím mulling everything over . Not feeling like doing much .
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 26th Jan 18, 7:11 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    How are things AC? Any plans for the weekend?
    Getting back on Track
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 26th Jan 18, 7:13 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    copperjar
    Hey AC! I found your new thread. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, been really busy and happy in our new house - just like iou sound like you are in yours!

So how are things? Debts all paid and settled now and you're still loving life by the sea? There's something so relaxing and peaceful about being near water, we live right next to a canal and I love it. Feels like we're on holiday, nice place to be after a long day at work.

How you finding the budgeting and spending? Yesterday I fully paid off our new kitchen, we had got it 12 months 0% knowing we had a share save maturing in Jan. In the past I might have been tempted to spend the money and just get the kitchen on 4 years credit. New leaf turned!

Oh and thanks for the heads up about Ruark. Got an R2 and absolutely love it. Finally entering the digital music age! Did you stick with your seperates or get something new?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 26th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hello again copperjar Great to hear from you again .
    Glad you made it over to my new diary .
    A p m is on its way .
    Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 26th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    How are things AC? Any plans for the weekend?
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge
    Hi Mrs. P Hope all is good with you .
    I should have James to have a look at the bathroom / kitchen issues tomorrow a m . May have a cider with my friend over the weekend.

Iíve spent the whole week reducing clutter in music and bedroom
    Iím over 90% there now . Just deciding what to do with stuff under the bed ( no, donít tell me )

Iíve been to gym today, and saw instructior on Monday .
    Still have blood coming from my cut knee from 2 weeks ago.
    Still a p I t a , but there are worse things
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 28th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    copperjar
    Hello again copperjar Great to hear from you again .
    Glad you made it over to my new diary .
    A p m is on its way .
    Thanks
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Cheers AC! Great to see you doing so well.
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    James came over yesterday . The first thing he noticed was that I had lost weight . He was also impressed with the way Iíve tidied the flat .
    He noticed the leak in the bathroom ( around the toilet bowl ) and possible leak in kitchen . He will be back on weds to sort out. He said it comes under guarantee . Not sure if that covers his time for Labour
    Iíve tipped him in the past etc , so donít expect to pay a kings ransom.
    I asked him to give me a quote for kitchen cupboards. Heíll let me know in the next few days. He measured up everything yesterday .

Just went out for a longish walk . I must get back into the habit of that. About 2 years ago on my way to poole for a weekend I bought a book in foyers, Ďthe power of lessí by Leo babatua. I read a few pages on the train , and another few when I was at home in Twickenham .
    I forgot all about it . Found it yesterday and stored reading it again from the start. Iím about halfway through . Itís basically a self help book . What I have done though, is list 12 tasks / goals that I want to achieve this year that are manageable and not something too challenging . Some boring run of the mill stuff, to things that will be seen as achievements . I bought one or two self help paperbacks over the years and this one seems to be the best so far.
    I did buy one , ďf@@k itĒ. It was ok , but very corporate in the end . I love chocolate , but canít see myself buying a f@@k it chocolate bar .
    Each one to his/ her own .
    When I was talking to James yesterday and about the situation was in, I mentioned that so far the best thing to ask is , ďdo I need this?Ē
    Something that I havenít really seen in those self help books.

I joined audible last month. Not impressed with only 1 book a month. Then again , if I was sleeping more the book I listened to wouldíve lasted longer . I may see if I can buy others online .
    I can hear birds outside my window, but canít see them. Will have to look into getting a decent bird feeder.
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 28th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    Karonher
    Sounds like you are nearly there with the flat. If your knee is still bleeding in the next few days I would do something about it. Even of you call 111 and ask for advice.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2018

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2018.
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 28th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    I love audible. They often have deals for members where you can buy credits 2 for 1 etc., almost every month.
    Getting back on Track
    • harz99
    • By harz99 30th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Ac

Will be brushing up my cv and by end of jan should be meeting agencies or at least talking to them .

Thatís it for now

Morning AC, so one month and the clock is ticking and we are on the cusp of the second month of 2018.

How are the things you wrote above progressing, any progress?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 30th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 11,302 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good that you losing weight and asking if you need something before buying it is definitely a good idea. No point in cluttering up your nice tidy flat with more stuff unless it is really needed. I buy very little really. My daughters are amazed we are still cooking using saucepans we were bought 35 years ago as a wedding present by my Mother in law. They were really expensive and still in good condition. I have bought other sets over the years and they didn't wear anywhere near as well.

They may have to go if we change to induction hob though if I get my way and have my new kitchen next year.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • harz99
    • By harz99 31st Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99

I joined audible last month. Not impressed with only 1 book a month. Then again , if I was sleeping more the book I listened to wouldíve lasted longer . I may see if I can buy others online...

Public Library, for free or very lo cost?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    When I asked ď do I really need this ?...Ē it was a bit ambiguous tbh
    Obviously , not buying something unless I really need it . It was also an observation that I refuse to take crap anymore

I realised why my knee was still bleeding after 2+ weeks. Iím on a blood thinner azathioprine. The bleeding stopped now , and the cut is itchy and crusty.

Just got a scanner/ printer delivered today . Discount on Argos .
    I will make this month of Feb the last month of taking it easy and get ready for the agencies in March . Iím still not ready for employment but I also realise that I have to grab the bull by the horns and get on with it . The cv will be updated, which is why Iíve got printer.
    I still have jobs to finish in the flat also. Sometimes itís like putting a square peg in a round hole but Iíll get there.

James came around this morning to investigate the bathroom and kitchen water problems. He will be back on Monday afternoon hopefully . Being a builder it could be longer.
    Regarding the bathroom : Iíve had to put my dehumidifier in there as James has taken lid off of toilet cistern ( the square thing where you flush) . I need to leave it 5here till probably Sunday . I put some netting on there as well 8n the meantime as I donít want spiders having a party in there. He thinks that the dehumidifier should eliminate the problem . Hope so .

As for the kitchen : there seems to be a leak from possibly a pipe that has been positioned possibly incorrect that directs water a different way from washing machine . I may need a couple of wood joists replaced on the flooring . He doesnít seem to think the water has spread to main parts of kitchen . It seems to have been from possibly the washing machine pipes spreading under the kitchen sink. Mold seems to be whatís causing the post which holds the 2 doors under the sink to rot . This problem was apparent before I moved in it seems as there was no washing machine in the property until I got one.As I previously mentioned, Iím getting quotes for the cupboard doors too be replaced in the kitchen . He will do this job when he does the kitchen doors . Once all of the jobs are done then fingers crossed, the flat should be trouble free for a number of years.

Been to gym twice this week . Once with personal trainer.
    The music room got used properly ( sort of ) yesterday and weds.
    As I mentioned a while back , Iím trying to simplify my setup .
    Years ago bass players used effects pedals/ units sparingly ,or just used guitar effects . I have a few units . The last one I got in the last flat and only used it on weds. Fantastic ! Perfect for what I need.
    Mad sounds. Most are useful . There are many pre programmed patches from famous bass players that only need a push of a button .
    Usb and built in looper. Should keep me busy . One thing I have to be wary of though is the myasthenia and playing bass. So far it seems ok . My left hand is a little sore from the fall but so far so good.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 11,302 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    How are the finances AC? Have you been keeping an eye on the spends?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    How are the finances AC? Have you been keeping an eye on the spends?
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    So far so good .
    Iíve cut down a lot .Being careful . I will open up a separate account soon .Obviously when I get the part time job , all should be good .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    another casualty
    saw The last episode of spiral on Saturday .Great programme . Apparently there are plans for one more series. Not sure if thatís a good idea tbh as it doesnít look like this series could be topped .

Went gym on Monday for another personal training session and went solo today .
    James came yesterday . He found leak upin bathroom and managed to fix it . He lowered the pressure of the tap, as there was a lot of splashing when washing my teeth etc .
    The tile is part of the suite he fitted and cannot be purchased separately . He will come back and gloss it white .
    The cabinet had some filler applied to it and the water doesnt seem to have returned.

Regarding kitchen :when I moved into the property there was no washing machine . There is a leak , probably by the wall taps .
    There is mold under sink plinth . Basically , I will get James to fix and probably replace a couple of floor joists . There was no charge for bathroom . I am awaiting a quote for replacing kitchen cabinet doors ,and hope they wonít cost too much . Hopefully , I can get James to do all in one hit, so to speak.
    Slept better last night for a change . Still things to do in the flat .
    Will,try and finish everything by end of month.

Just realised, I first viewed this flat on jan 31st last year. Second viewing and offer on 4 Feb . Time is indeed flying
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 12th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 6,391 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello AC,

So glad I found you. I'll still catch up on the bits I missed last year, but you sound like you're doing great. Who's James? He seems like a great find for getting the things you need sorted.

You sound so much happier in your posts than you did prior to your move. Have you ever gone back to read the first diary at any point to show yourself what a great job you're doing?

MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter