Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • operaaida
    • By operaaida 29th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    operaaida
    Door step lending - provident
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    Door step lending - provident 29th Dec 17 at 12:18 PM
    Hi all, just looking for general queries from those who've had a response from provident.... Those who've complained to provident for irresponsible lending. Was the response fair? How long did it take them to respond? For those who've escalated their complaints to ombudsman... How long did it take ombudsman to come back with a feedback please?
Page 3
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 13,066 Posts
    • 12,376 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I earn nearly £100k (my partner about the same) and half the stuff in our house was bought second hand - a fair bit of it freecycled.

You don't have to be poor to be sensible with money
    Originally posted by poppy10
    Wow £100k each eh, That’s frankly more money than I’ll ever see in my lifetime, but you have the choice to be that way, less unfortunates don’t have that luxury, as poorer people can feel excluded due to a lack of available money, I don’t suppose £20 means much to you, it might be the entire weeks food budget for some.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 08-01-2018 at 9:53 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 8th Jan 18, 10:08 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Iím not going to argue the toss over this, itís just my opinion, of which I am entitled to, yes second hand goods are available a lot cheaper, and you may just get lucky and get a bargain, but for those who want new, and companies such as BH are there only choices, should not be slated for using them.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    I'd agree with you IF places like BrightHouse sold a 'basics' range of stuff instead of high end - anyone struggling for money should be buying cheaper options. It's designed purely to mask the real cost of stuff. Buying a similar from Argos with their credit facilities (if you qualify) is going to give you the same functionality for a quarter of the cost (you can even pay it at £2.25 a week).

More realistically, people should be trying to buy 2nd hand - you can get more or less all of this stuff from charity shops or gumtree etc.

You'd have to be mental to recommend BH to anyone.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 13,066 Posts
    • 12,376 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I'd agree with you IF places like BrightHouse sold a 'basics' range of stuff instead of high end - anyone struggling for money should be buying cheaper options. It's designed purely to mask the real cost of stuff. Buying a similar from Argos with their credit facilities (if you qualify) is going to give you the same functionality for a quarter of the cost (you can even pay it at £2.25 a week).

More realistically, people should be trying to buy 2nd hand - you can get more or less all of this stuff from charity shops or gumtree etc.

You'd have to be mental to recommend BH to anyone.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Didn’t say I would recommend anything to anyone, what I said is that people who use such companies should not be berated for doing so.

Mistakes are made by everyone in life.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 08-01-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Jan 18, 5:26 AM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    Herzlos
    That's true enough; there really should be basic financial education in schools (if there isn't already) so that people aren't conned into such predatory deals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,349Users online

Martin's Twitter