Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • operaaida
    • By operaaida 29th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    operaaida
    Door step lending - provident
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    Door step lending - provident 29th Dec 17 at 12:18 PM
    Hi all, just looking for general queries from those who've had a response from provident.... Those who've complained to provident for irresponsible lending. Was the response fair? How long did it take them to respond? For those who've escalated their complaints to ombudsman... How long did it take ombudsman to come back with a feedback please?
Page 2
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I'm really surprised you of all people have this kind of attitude!.

Alot of the stuff is pretty decent on Facebook because most people get rid of stuff just because they want something new and not because it's worn out.

But the worst part of it is that you seem to think that Brighthouse is the only way to get new goods. Getting a second hand item for a time and saving what you would pay Brighhouse would be far better. This would mean you spend far less getting the item and don't get in debt.
    Originally posted by takman
    No, you missunderstand me, my point is you should not berate people for choosing to use bright house, benetfits tend to be paid mostly, on a weekly, or fortnightly basis, this makes up the demographic of bright house customers in a lot of cases, itís not the only way for most, but for some it might well be.

Iím not going to argue the toss over this, itís just my opinion, of which I am entitled to, yes second hand goods are available a lot cheaper, and you may just get lucky and get a bargain, but for those who want new, and companies such as BH are there only choices, should not be slated for using them.

Thereís too much of that on these forums at present, anyway,

Happy new year !!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 1st Jan 18, 12:02 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Puddylove
    This is exactly my point, sometimes needs must.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    I think there's a difference between a need and a want though.

So you NEED clean clothes, but you WANT a brand new washing machine whereas a secondhand one would be fine.

And I am worried by the alacrity with which posters are encouraged to view lenders as evil and not to repay debt. This will just make it harder for poor people to get any credit in future.

Living within your means is the best plan, I think.

To add - I have every sympathy for those people who can't pay due to health issues, and think there should be better support for them.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Jan 18, 12:04 AM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I think there's a difference between a need and a want though.

So you NEED clean clothes, but you WANT a brand new washing machine whereas a secondhand one would be fine.

And I am worried by the alacrity with which posters are encouraged to view lenders as evil and not to repay debt. This will just make it harder for poor people to get any credit in future.

Living within your means is the best plan, I think.

To add - I have every sympathy for those people who can't pay due to health issues, and think there should be better support for them.
    Originally posted by Puddylove
    Indeed it is puddy my love x
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 1st Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Tarambor
    No, you missunderstand me, my point is you should not berate people for choosing to use bright house, benetfits tend to be paid mostly, on a weekly, or fortnightly basis, this makes up the demographic of bright house customers in a lot of cases, it’s not the only way for most, but for some it might well be.
    Other than a 10 month period in 2017 I've spent the entirety of my 30 years working being paid weekly so that's no excuse.

People should be berated for using a company that inflates the ticket price then whacks massive interest on so you end up repaying three or four times what you can go buy the same product for from any other high street retailer. As a board guide on the Debt Free Wannabe forum I find it beyond incredulous that you can defend in any way, shape or form someone using Brighthouse. Have you ever actually looked at their site? Clearly not so here's an example.

Example: Playstation 4 slim 1TB with Fifa 18 game: £259 at Currys.

Brighthouse deal:
    Product Price £559.79 (so it is already over twice what it costs in Currys)
    Weekly payment £9.00
    Delivery and Installation £0.00
    Product Price Including Delivery & Installation £559.79
    Number of weeks 130
    Annual Fixed Interest Rate / Representative APR++ 99.9%
    Total payable £1170.00

So they're taking an item that is £259 at Currys and more than doubling the price. They're then giving finance on that over inflated price at 99.9% APR so the total you pay is FOUR AND A HALF TIMES MORE than you can buy it for from Currys. But hey its only £9 a week so all good eh?

You have to be a completely financially braindead halfwit who shouldn't be allowed to be in control of their own money to use Brighthouse.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 01-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    sourcrates
    You have to be a completely financially braindead halfwit who shouldn't be allowed to be in control of their own money to use Brighthouse.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Yes, i`ve looked at their site, yes i`m aware they charge massive interest, i don't like there business model any more than you do, and personally i would not touch them with a barge pole.

But what if your a single mum, 19, barely managing to scrape by on a zero hours contract job if shes lucky, or like most, on benefits, and you just don't have the money to buy a cot for your baby, as at present she`s sleeping on the floor, you have no friends or family you can turn to, and the social want your life history to get a crisis loan.

These are the kind of people that are attracted to companies such as BH, you said it yourself, "only £9 a week" that's the magic number, a new cot £9 a week, telly, £9 a week, cooker and fridge also £9 a week, yes to you and me, and any other rational thinking person, its madness, but when you have no money, you tend to do desperate things.

Simply insulting such people as this helps no one.

Nic-c sums it up nicely in post #11#, i suspect Nic-c is a debt advisor, as his/her advice is always constructive and never insulting to anyone.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 01-01-2018 at 2:00 PM.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    sourcrates
    As a board guide on the Debt Free Wannabe forum I find it beyond incredulous that you can defend in any way, shape or form someone using Brighthouse.

I would defend anyone against someone whose tactics are to belittle or berate others, due to the choices they have made in life, good or bad.

Being a board guide is a choice i make to help and assist others, it does not mean i cannot express an opinion, (read my signature).
    Last edited by sourcrates; 03-01-2018 at 11:05 PM.

• Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 1st Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    There is nothing wrong with buying, or better still being given, second hand or refurbished goods. It allows you to meet the need while you save up for a new item, if that's what you decide to do.

When I split with my ex I owed £25k or thereabouts and I have a secondhand sofa, an old carpet from my parents' dining room circa 1970, a refurbished Vax (cost £25), etc.

This allowed me to repay the debt, and save. Plus, it's better for the planet to recycle/use secondhand. No shame in it, no lack of aspiration. Just a refusal to get trapped by debt pressures due to consumer society pressures.

Happy New Year!
    Originally posted by Puddylove
    Totally agree...just imagine if we never recycled partners,be a huge amount of wastage and lots of good older models that are perfectly serviceable but left on life's scrap heap.

It is New Years day..
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • takman
    • By takman 1st Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    takman
    Getting things through brighthouse is shocking you pay far more than the goods are worth, but you are thinking in a different mindset to those who use such services. Items are touted on a weekly cost rather than the total you will pay for them (I know that information is there), but many won't be able to get funds to pay outright for a second hand goods whatever the source. They know what they get a week and what they can afford, I doubt you will get anyone on facebook willing to part with goods on promise they'll get a fiver a week or such.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Yes, i've looked at their site, yes i`m aware they charge massive interest, i don't like there business model any more than you do, and personally i would not touch them with a barge pole.

But what if your a single mum, 19, barely managing to scrape by on a zero hours contract job if shes lucky, or like most, on benefits, and you just don't have the money to buy a cot for your baby, as at present she`s sleeping on the floor, you have no friends or family you can turn to, and the social want your life history to get a crisis loan.

These are the kind of people that are attracted to companies such as BH, you said it yourself, "only £9 a week" that's the magic number, a new cot £9 a week, telly, £9 a week, cooker and fridge also £9 a week, yes to you and me, and any other rational thinking person, its madness, but when you have no money, you tend to do desperate things.

Simply insulting such people as this helps no one.

Nic-c sums it up nicely in post #11#, i suspect Nic-c is a debt advisor, as his/her advice is always constructive and never insulting to anyone.
    I understand both your points and in the kind of extreme situation your talking about then most people would do anything to get a cot for their baby. But i have seen many posts on facebook on local groups for people who are moving into a new house after having a baby and are asking for everything for free or really cheap. This usually results in alot of generous offers from people offering decent goods. I myself have given away things one example is an old CRT TV which had nothing wrong with it but i just replaced it with a new one, they get a free TV and i didn't have the hassle of disposing of it so it's win win and many people do this.

I'm not insulting anyone i just think when your on here saying that second hand goods are "tat" and a load of rubbish then it's not very considerate to the people who buy these second hand goods to save money.

Alot of people seem to think that only brand new goods are decent and anything second hand is not acceptable and this is what drives people to brighthouse when they could afford quality second hand goods. I can't think of any situation where someone would "Need" a brand new 50" TV and PS4 and i don't see any problem with saying how much they are paying over the odds for it and explaining if they save that much money each week they could get it far cheaper and have enough money for it in less than a year compared to paying it for 3 years with brighthouse for example.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Jan 18, 3:09 PM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    sourcrates
    its sometimes difficult to cover all the bases on a forum such as this, not all second hand goods are tat, obviously, I’m just saying things are not always as black and white as people like to think they are, yes some folk are irrisponcible in what they purchase, but there are usually reasons why they do the things they do, not always good reasons, but reasons non the less.

Having kids for instance, all there mates have the latest tech, they want it to, peer pressure can be horrible these days for some kids, the parents can’t afford it, so they go to BH, peace at home and school maybe worth more than knowing there been overcharged, it’s not ideal, but to me it’s understandable.

• Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 1st Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Tarambor
    A situation that isn't going to happen because apart from the fact they'll be getting £4500 a year in child benefit and child tax credit they can get a crisis loan from the DWP.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 1st Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Having kids for instance, all there mates have the latest tech, they want it to, peer pressure can be horrible these days for some kids, the parents can’t afford it, so they go to BH, peace at home and school maybe worth more than knowing there been overcharged, it’s not ideal, but to me it’s understandable.
    Its completely stupid especially when they end up then having to use food banks because they can't afford to eat. But hey at least little Johnny has his iPhone X. Shame he's got no shoes and goes to school in rags on an empty stomach though and the bailiffs turn up a few months down the line and take the phone back.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 1st Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    its sometimes difficult to cover all the bases on a forum such as this, not all second hand goods are tat, obviously, Iím just saying things are not always as black and white as people like to think they are, yes some folk are irrisponcible in what they purchase, but there are usually reasons why they do the things they do, not always good reasons, but reasons non the less.

Having kids for instance, all there mates have the latest tech, they want it to, peer pressure can be horrible these days for some kids, the parents canít afford it, so they go to BH, peace at home and school maybe worth more than knowing there been overcharged, itís not ideal, but to me itís understandable.
    Just do what i've done this year when the kids say Dad my mate has a PS4 and i dont have anything to play with...my response "well pee off round there house and play there PS4 and while your there fill your self up on there pop and mince pies,oh and dont forget to see if any 1ltr Spirits are left unattended"

Oh ok so thats not quite true i spent best part of £600 on the little !!!!!!s...however a couple i know see BR as a status symbol,everything white goods/furniture/Mac book(s)/everything..is on the knock from BR and they both seem to think its normal to exchange the goods every 6 months for a newer model and normally more expensive.

Think last time we spoke about it they pay in the region of £900 a month..and these people dont/wont work and havent for as many years as i've known them.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Adamydb
    • By Adamydb 6th Jan 18, 12:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Adamydb
    If you have not received collections vidits to no fault of your own you need to complaint and check your creditfile as its been affected. Also you need to go to the financial ombudsman
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 7th Jan 18, 4:24 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    tonycottee

I would suggest she checks the FreeCycle sites or on Facebook. I see plenty of stuff available for free.

Judging by Brighthouse adverts, the people they attract are those that want new TVís and kitchen appliances.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 7th Jan 18, 8:36 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    vacheron

So poor people can’t have aspirations is that what your saying ?
    There’s lots of things you don’t really need, but that enhance people’s quality of life, tv, cooker, washing machine to me, are essential, not luxury items, have you actually seen the state of some people’s second hand goods ?

Example: Playstation 4 slim 1TB with Fifa 18 game: £259 at Currys.

Brighthouse deal:
    Product Price £559.79 (so it is already over twice what it costs in Currys)
    Weekly payment £9.00
    Delivery and Installation £0.00
    Product Price Including Delivery & Installation £559.79
    Number of weeks 130
    Annual Fixed Interest Rate / Representative APR++ 99.9%
    Total payable £1170.00

You have to be a completely financially braindead halfwit who shouldn't be allowed to be in control of their own money to use Brighthouse..................
    I completely agree that poorer people should have aspirations:

aspire
    əˈspʌɪə/Submit
    verb
    direct one's hopes or ambitions towards achieving something.
    However, the truth is those at Brighthouse are not "aspiring" to anything, they want instant gratification due to their inability to plan and their general lack of self discipline which is then cruelly exploited.

To use Tarambors PS4 example, If little Timmy must have a PS4 for Christmas and Mum/Dad have the £9 per week to pay Brighthouse each week, then had they truly "aspired" to buy it for him they could decided in June to put that £9 away and could have bought it from Currys in December.

The extra £911 they would have saved over the next 2.5 years could have bought him some fantastic presents in the 2-3 years to come, or perhaps a holiday for the whole family.

There is nothing wrong with "making do" with second hand goods while you save up for a new one (which you will then truly "deserve").

We moved into our house in 2010 and are still using the 20 year old "second hand" cooker the original owner left us.

It will get replaced along with the kitchen this year only because we have saved the money and so can afford to.
    ē The rich buy assets.
    ē The poor only have expenses.
    ē The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 7th Jan 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    However, the truth is those at Brighthouse are not "aspiring" to anything, they want instant gratification due to their inability to plan and their general lack of self discipline which is then cruelly exploited.
    Originally posted by vacheron

Or because they have nothing happy in their life/ their life suffers the chaos that comes from wage instability. So they make what you consider a bad choice because there is little joy elsewhere and they just want something to feel normal.

Don't judge reasons and motives when you haven't been there. People with little money are great planners IME. Their motivations however are not the same as those of the wage secure, in a stable housing situation. You'd be amazed how that alters your priorities.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 7th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    vacheron
    Or because they have nothing happy in their life/ their life suffers the chaos that comes from wage instability. So they make what you consider a bad choice because there is little joy elsewhere and they just want something to feel normal.

Don't judge reasons and motives when you haven't been there. People with little money are great planners IME. Their motivations however are not the same as those of the wage secure, in a stable housing situation. You'd be amazed how that alters your priorities.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman

I understand that a shiny new purchase can give a boost to an otherwise joyless situation. My reply was mainly in response to sourcrates considering using Brighthouse and similar is "aspiring" to something when in fact I consider it the opposite.

I also didn't "judge reasons and motives" as you suggested in my post unless you can show me something I have missed?
    ē The rich buy assets.
    ē The poor only have expenses.
    ē The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 7th Jan 18, 10:55 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    camelot1971
    A situation that isn't going to happen because apart from the fact they'll be getting £4500 a year in child benefit and child tax credit they can get a crisis loan from the DWP.
    Crisis loans haven't existed for over 5 years now. If you are on means tested benefit you can get a budgeting loan, which is interest free, for essentials.

Contrary to what some people might think, TVs, PS4s and iPhones are not essentials.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Tarambor

Don't judge reasons and motives when you haven't been there.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Well I can judge because I have been there, I'm still there. I do agency work so my wages are up and down like a yo yo and have been for a quarter of a century. I have never ever used Brighthouse or any sub-prime lender or pay day loan company. However what I have done is not had my first foreign holiday until I was in my 30s, ran round in sub £1000 cars for the first 25 years of my driving with £8000 on a 2 year old car being the most I've ever spent.

There is absolutely no situation in any way, shape or form where there is any reason at all to use Brighthouse other than stupidity. That is even more the case than it was when I was in my 20's and a young parent in the mid 90s because back then Facebook didn't exist neither did Gumtree or a whole plethora of sites which make finding cheap decent second hand stuff locally very easy.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 7th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 5,904 Posts
    • 7,141 Thanks
    poppy10
    So poor people canít have aspirations is that what your saying ?

Because your poor, you have to make do with some old loves grimey cooker found in a skip off the high street and stuck on Facebook to flog.

Thereís lots of things you donít really need, but that enhance peopleís quality of life, tv, cooker, washing machine to me, are essential, not luxury items, have you actually seen the state of some peopleís second hand goods ?
    I earn nearly £100k (my partner about the same) and half the stuff in our house was bought second hand - a fair bit of it freecycled.

You don't have to be poor to be sensible with money
    Signature changed by MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin