Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 29th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 198Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    MSE News: Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries 29th Dec 17 at 9:24 AM
    Apple has cut the cost of replacing the batteries for some of its latest iPhones after admitting software updates had slowed some down...
    Read the full story:
    'Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 29-12-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 6
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 8th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    gozaimasu
    This is annoying. I've got a 5 and was thinking about getting an SE. Is a brand new SE still affected by this slowing down issue and will I need to be paying the £25 that people are paying for the 6s and SEs they've been using for years?
    Forum etiquette - Be nice to all moneysavers.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    john22
    This is annoying. I've got a 5 and was thinking about getting an SE. Is a brand new SE still affected by this slowing down issue and will I need to be paying the £25 that people are paying for the 6s and SEs they've been using for years?
    Originally posted by gozaimasu
    This is the statement Apple released

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-battery-and-performance/

There is nothing wrong with buying the SE and it wonít be slowed down. Plus Apple are releasing an update in future iOS release to bettter communicate what is happening with the battery performance.

However if you donít trust what Apple is saying or you believe different opinions other than Appleís own statement then do not buy anymore iPhones and switch to another manufacturer.
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    d123
    A brand new phone will have a brand new battery. The slowdown is for worn out batteries...
    ====
    • boatman
    • By boatman 9th Jan 18, 6:03 AM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42615378
    France has taken legal steps to investigate Apple and their slowdowns. Back in 2014 research was done that illustrates the link between new releases and slow iPhones.
    Last edited by boatman; 09-01-2018 at 1:00 PM. Reason: ii
    • minislim
    • By minislim 9th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    minislim
    have been saying this for years. when my original iphone 1 slowed down and yet everything i did to it didn't seem to speed things back up again.

its been rumored apple slowed them down for years. how right i was!
    • boatman
    • By boatman 9th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    have been saying this for years. when my original iphone 1 slowed down and yet everything i did to it didn't seem to speed things back up again.

its been rumored apple slowed them down for years. how right i was!
    Originally posted by minislim
    Its certainly what the New York Times article suggests, and there seem to be more than enough comments through the years saying as much. So, have they been winding down the processor for years rather than months, or something else?
    https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=iphone%20slow

If your phone has a bit of water damage but works, will they still change the battery for £25?
    Last edited by boatman; 09-01-2018 at 2:44 PM. Reason: ii
    • KATHYBEAR
    • By KATHYBEAR 11th Jan 18, 8:00 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    KATHYBEAR
    Anyone get their iphone 5s battery changed under the £25 replacement scheme. I know its not on the list at moment. My battery died last year when i updated to new operating system and i have been in dispute with apple since then. On Monday i had a phone call from Apple and they agreed to replace it for £25 and made me appointment with my nearest apple store to have it done. When i got there they refused to do it for the £25 as quoted! I have never been so embarrassed in my life!! Any suggestions?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 11th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 7,567 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Avoid Apple products.
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 11th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    Yes, I did it online.
    You need to pay an extra £7 shipping - but they replaced the battery in my 5S for a total of £30.

In fact they completely replaced the 5S for whatever reason.
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    d123
    Avoid Apple products.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Why?

You do yourself a disservice with that sort of snippy trollish comment MJ.
    ====
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 11th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 7,567 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Why?

You do yourself a disservice with that sort of snippy trollish comment MJ.
    Originally posted by d123
    You think?

When a company underhandedly manipulates its vastly over-priced products to scam its customers and then (when caught out) applies a sham excuse to cover its tracks (at the same time making it out to be some sort of altruistic favour) I won't buy from them.
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    d123
    You think?

When a company underhandedly manipulates its vastly over-priced products to scam its customers and then (when caught out) applies a sham excuse to cover its tracks (at the same time making it out to be some sort of altruistic favour) I won't buy from them.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    When a product is a similar price to the products of its closest direct competitors itís an industry wide problem, not an individual company.

It isnít just Apple that thinks phones should be sold for £700-£1000 anymore...
    ====
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 11th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 7,567 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    It's not just the price; it's the underhand way they cheat customers and try to cover it up.
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 19-01-2018 at 7:48 AM.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 11th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    Kim_13
    As another poster has said, it's only worn batteries that lead to the slowdown. A SE with a worn battery would be slowed when the time comes though. The newest iPhone that doesn't get slowed when the battery is worn is the 5s.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • boatman
    • By boatman 11th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    When a product is a similar price to the products of its closest direct competitors it’s an industry wide problem, not an individual company.

It isn’t just Apple that thinks phones should be sold for £700-£1000 anymore...
    Originally posted by d123
    I would put good money on betting that those direct competitors would have much lower prices had Apple not been around.

You can't blame Apple if people are willing to part with so much for a phone. It was a blinding product in its day, not so much now, but the love is still there even if the innovation is waning. For $500 you can get this
    Last edited by boatman; 11-01-2018 at 1:58 PM. Reason: ii
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 32,868 Posts
    • 27,628 Thanks
    custardy
    As another poster has said, it's only worn batteries that lead to the slowdown. A SE with a worn battery would be slowed when the time comes though. The newest iPhone that doesn't get slowed when the battery is worn is the 5s.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    No its not. The 'fix' causes the slow down
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    Kim_13
    They are to introduce an option to disable the feature: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/18/iphone-apple-users-turn-off-feature-battery-slow-down-devices-ios-tim-cook
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • boatman
    • By boatman 20th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    Probably would have been cheaper to provide cheap batteries and a little door on the back of the phone..
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 21st Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    buglawton
    I would put good money on betting that those direct competitors would have much lower prices had Apple not been around.

You can't blame Apple if people are willing to part with so much for a phone. It was a blinding product in its day, not so much now, but the love is still there even if the innovation is waning. For $500 you can get this
    Originally posted by boatman
    Which is another of these 'sustainable' Android phones. That link leads to a rather pretentious blog rather than a product description or pictures. So I had to find reviews. 'Below average battery and no earphone socket'. Going same way as Apple already?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    Which is another of these 'sustainable' Android phones. That link leads to a rather pretentious blog rather than a product description or pictures. So I had to find reviews. 'Below average battery and no earphone socket'. Going same way as Apple already?
    Originally posted by buglawton
    The owner of essential invented android, he's got a rough idea what he's on about..
    It was really to show a phone started from scratch of good materials was half the price of the X.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,007Posts Today

9,524Users online

Martin's Twitter