Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 29th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 199Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    MSE News: Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries 29th Dec 17 at 9:24 AM
    Apple has cut the cost of replacing the batteries for some of its latest iPhones after admitting software updates had slowed some down...
    Read the full story:
    'Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 29-12-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 5
    • john22
    • By john22 3rd Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    john22
    where are all the 'Apple just works' and 'Apples legendary customer service' people?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Still here.

There is no point getting into a discussion about it. Simply put if someone is upset what Apple did then seek legal advice and going forward make the decision to switch to another phone manufacturer. As for the others who donít like what Apple stand for then thatís to be respected and no discussion is required.

Personally I still love my Apple gear and get much pleasure out of it.
    • lostinheaven
    • By lostinheaven 4th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    lostinheaven
    Hmmm... over the past 3-4 months I've had quite some issue with my >2yr old iPhone 6+.
    • The battery seems to run out particularly quickly, sometimes with less than 20% battery power it'll drop down to less than 5% and then within seconds shut down.
    • Apps are taking considerably longer to open up
    • Pretty much every time it's left alone it'll drop the WIFI connection
    I spoke (via online chat) with an Apple agent yesterday evening and he took me through a diagnostic process. Apparently the battery full charge capacity is at 92% so he deemed it to be pretty much within the realms of a brand new battery. He advised that updating to the latest IOS (which I'd delayed doing because I'd been experiencing these issues over the last two IOS updates) would likely resolve these issues...

So... last night I updated the IOS and as of this morning it doesn't seem any different but I agreed to run with it for a few days and then get back to them if the issues persist.

Anyone else experienced similar (i.e. being suspected of simply making it up)?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

So... last night I updated the IOS and as of this morning it doesn't seem any different but I agreed to run with it for a few days and then get back to them if the issues persist.
    Originally posted by lostinheaven
    Although it sounds like it's your battery try the following (it's for iPads but it all applies to iPhones too).

• boatman
    • By boatman 4th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    Are Apple claiming this is just a recent event with iOS 11, surely this has been going on for years, has there been another means they have used with older devices to slow them down? Still not seen info on whether this applies to ipads, as again there are lots of complaints about them slowing down after updates, I'm surprised there hasn't been more info on them as well.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 32,868 Posts
    • 27,631 Thanks
    custardy
    Are Apple claiming this is just a recent event with iOS 11, surely this has been going on for years, has there been another means they have used with older devices to slow them down? Still not seen info on whether this applies to ipads, as again there are lots of complaints about them slowing down after updates, I'm surprised there hasn't been more info on them as well.
    Originally posted by boatman
    https://www.imore.com/no-ipad-slow
    • boatman
    • By boatman 4th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    But I'm not sure that gives much, its relying on Apple saying its affected, which obviously they haven't been honest about.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    But I'm not sure that gives much, its relying on Apple saying its affected, which obviously they haven't been honest about.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Really? It's not the way I read it, iPads don't have the battery monitoring software which is what is slowing down (some) iPhones.

Will their batteries degrade? Of course, all batteries degrade over time but as the article says tablet batteries are significantly bigger and also less likely to be used outside in cold conditions.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 4th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    boatman
    There just seem to be an awful lot of comments going back a few years with regard to updated software and slowdowns, now that they have been caught out I suspect there will be more scrutiny. I thought there might more comparisons coming out as people try different software with new/old batteries.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 4th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    datostar
    Hmmm... over the past 3-4 months I've had quite some issue with my >2yr old iPhone 6+.
    • The battery seems to run out particularly quickly, sometimes with less than 20% battery power it'll drop down to less than 5% and then within seconds shut down.
    • Apps are taking considerably longer to open up
    • Pretty much every time it's left alone it'll drop the WIFI connection
    I spoke (via online chat) with an Apple agent yesterday evening and he took me through a diagnostic process. Apparently the battery full charge capacity is at 92% so he deemed it to be pretty much within the realms of a brand new battery. He advised that updating to the latest IOS (which I'd delayed doing because I'd been experiencing these issues over the last two IOS updates) would likely resolve these issues...

Anyone else experienced similar (i.e. being suspected of simply making it up)?
    Originally posted by lostinheaven
    My 3yr old 6+ slowed considerably with the IOS 11 update, mainly affecting opening apps. Can't say it's needing charging any more often though. I can live with it considering the cost of a new phone, but may well go for the £25 offer on a new battery. Much like yours - an app called Battery Life is reporting 93% battery capacity 2700/2915 mAh. With these high readings I'd be surprised if failing batteries were to blame for the slowdown.
    • philng
    • By philng 5th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    philng
    So is there an answer re refund for those who paid £79 in late October due to the extreme slow down & cut out on an IPhone 6 following IOS 11 launch?
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 6,878 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    d123
    So is there an answer re refund for those who paid £79 in late October due to the extreme slow down & cut out on an IPhone 6 following IOS 11 launch?
    Originally posted by philng
    The reports (in the US) are saying they will refund on batteries purchased from 14/12/2017 onwards.

Of course that might change if it generates enough bad publicity, but Iíve seen a report where a US user was refused a refund for a battery bought on 11/12.
    ====
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Jan 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Originally posted by philng
    It's not happening IMHO.

They're launching a software battery monitor app, perhaps they'll let them choose whether to put up with a failing battery and all of it's consequences or enable the (sensible) power saving mode? Or just pay up and get a new battery.
    • RealGandy
    • By RealGandy 5th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RealGandy
    Successful refund
    I had a battery replaced on a 6s in the middle of November and have just had a refund for the difference.

I did a support webchat and the advisor confirmed a refund is due. They arranged a callback who organised the refund... she did say it was supposed to be only for replacements made after Dec 14th though and the chat advisor made a mistake, but they honoured it.

Worth giving them a call and see where you get?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    buglawton
    So the Ms went for the £25 battery swap on a near 3 year old iPhone 6 and they found the old battery was jammed in (I guess it swelled slightly).

They replaced the iPhone. Somewhat unnerving though as we didn't have an up to the minute backup and you couldn't make outgoing calls till the restore was done.

Also they make you fill a form in with the unlock PIN and your iCloud/iTunes password. I noticed they logged iCloud/Find My iPhone out just before starting (as if half expecting trouble). We were told that the old phone couldn't be restarted. By theoretically anyone with that form can unlock and rifle through the phone if it can be restarted .

Of course I've now changed the iCloud and email passwords, but rather unimpressed that the Apple Genius didn't advise us to do it.
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 6,878 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    d123
    So the Ms went for the £25 battery swap on a near 3 year old iPhone 6 and they found the old battery was jammed in (I guess it swelled slightly).

They replaced the iPhone. Somewhat unnerving though as we didn't have an up to the minute backup and you couldn't make outgoing calls till the restore was done.

Also they make you fill a form in with the unlock PIN and your iCloud/iTunes password. I noticed they logged iCloud/Find My iPhone out just before starting (as if half expecting trouble). We were told that the old phone couldn't be restarted. By theoretically anyone with that form can unlock and rifle through the phone if it can be restarted .

Of course I've now changed the iCloud and email passwords, but rather unimpressed that the Apple Genius didn't advise us to do it.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    The usually initiate a reset as soon as the log out is done, I wouldnít be too worried.
    ====
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    buglawton
    The usually initiate a reset as soon as the log out is done, I wouldnít be too worried.
    Originally posted by d123
    Without warning the owner that their phone is about to be wiped? Hmm.
    • john22
    • By john22 6th Jan 18, 12:08 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    john22
    I think itís best you go back into Apple and give them your fears and get them to explain again exactly what their procedures are when handing your phone over to them before you had a chance to do a reset yourself.

I would rather hear it from the horses mouth so to speak rather than getting possibly different interpretations of what happens. If Apple themselves canít allay your fears then I would say itís best you donít do business with them in the future because trust is important when it comes to personal information on a device which your handing over.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 6,878 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    d123
    No, when they tell the owner theyíre replacing it.

Youíre also supposed to do a back up before attending, itís something they say when you book the appointment.
    ====
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 6th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    buglawton
    Apple does send out an appointment email in advance. There's no obvious warning in it that the phone could get wiped or to make a backup. But I'll check if it's in the small print.

Another thing is that your receipt for the replacement is buried in the work order details email (not in the separate email headed 'receipt'). It's essential to print this work order email and keep this as it's the only proof of ownership and continued warranty.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 6,878 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    d123
    It's essential to print this work order email and keep this as it's the only proof of ownership and continued warranty.
    Agreed, at least itís emailed (and if youíve got something like gmail, always accessible) and by virtue of showing old IMEI and new IMEI is accepted for insurance purposes etc.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

2,161Users online

Martin's Twitter