Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spacebicuit
    • By spacebicuit 28th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    spacebicuit
    Ignoring Fake Invoice To Pay
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    Ignoring Fake Invoice To Pay 28th Dec 17 at 8:54 PM
    I am in receipt of a CPN which I have no intention of paying since as I understand it these are little more than an invitation to pay an extortionate fee with no legal binding.

I know I will be subject to a barrage of threatening letters which I will ignore, but can the parking firm send for debt collection services - for example can they clamp the car in question or send bailiffs to attempt to enforce payment. Or is this only possible if a court case was ruled in their favour and payment was not made.

Looking for some clarity regarding this matter.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 28th Dec 17, 8:56 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 8,429 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:56 PM
    only possible if a court case was ruled in their favour and payment was not made.

please read the newbies thread , all answers inc the way to deal with scum are in it
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 28th Dec 17, 8:56 PM
    • 34,064 Posts
    • 18,028 Thanks
    Quentin
    Everyone is politely asked not to start a new thread till they have read the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

Go there now and you will see the advice here is not to ignore the PPC!
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 28th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 40,713 Posts
    • 81,301 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    The advice to ignore has not been given on this forum since the law changed in 2012.

To get the most up to date, and correct advice, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES as already advised.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 28th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 6,725 Posts
    • 8,698 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    I am in receipt of a CPN which I have no intention of paying since as I understand it these are little more than an invitation to pay an extortionate fee with no legal binding.

I know I will be subject to a barrage of threatening letters which I will ignore, but can the parking firm send for debt collection services - for example can they clamp the car in question or send bailiffs to attempt to enforce payment. Or is this only possible if a court case was ruled in their favour and payment was not made.

Looking for some clarity regarding this matter.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by spacebicuit
    CLARIFICATION
    We know they are fake but the stupid parking companies
    think they are real.

On that basis, they proceed to timewasting idiot
    debt collectors who are powerless

No door knocking, no bailiffs no credit problems
    as they are powerless to do anything

The any time this happens is if you went to court,
    you lost and did not pay as the court directs

If you get court papers, do not ignore but come back here

NEVER EVER contact timewasting debt collectors
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 28th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 52,853 Posts
    • 66,365 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    Private clamping/towing away/blocking in, is illegal and has been since 2012.

The biggest concern would be if it is a litigious firm but the NEWBIES thread tells you how to find out with one Google search.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• spacebicuit
    • By spacebicuit 28th Dec 17, 11:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    spacebicuit
    • 28th Dec 17, 11:24 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 11:24 PM
    Just to claeify, the NtK has been served, I appealed as the registered keeper but was not the driver (I really wasn't), my appeal was rejected to appealed to their plastic independent appeals service who completely disregarded my arguments (their notice was defective since it failed to comply with the PoFA).

So now that I have 'lost' my two appeals I have no where else to turn so I planned to ignore the demands which will now follow. I have read in the newbie thread that I should however NOT ignore any letters concerning court should they arrive.

I will go back to the newbie thread and have another read...
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 28th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 34,064 Posts
    • 18,028 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 28th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    Yes you are in the debt collectors stage where you ignore everything except court correspondence or a lbcca

They have 6 years to start legal action

Come back for advice on dealing with the court if that bridge ever turns up
    • spacebicuit
    • By spacebicuit 3rd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    spacebicuit
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    I have just noticed that the car parking company have sent me some correpsondances with BPA logos on, whom they are no longer with. A BPA logo means their appeals system is handled by POPLA if I am not mistaken? Therefore it would be reasonable for me to request a POLA number for an appeal would it not?

Also is there any harm in mentioning in any correspondance that I have spoken to the driver, although I have not and will not name the driver I am not denying that I know who the driver is am I?

Thank you in advnace.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    KeithP
    The PPC may well be a BPA member, but are they a BPA AOS member?

It is the AOS membership that decides whether or not a PoPLA appeal is appropriate.

Google has the answer to that.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 52,853 Posts
    • 66,365 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5647776

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5741062

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5724924

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5717453

Depends on the logo, been discussed about once a month for far too long, not again... The search function here is good.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Redx
    • By Redx 3rd Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 17,159 Posts
    • 21,438 Thanks
    Redx
    you are mistaken

the logos have different shapes depending on their meaning and a PPC can be a corporate member of both, yet only subscribe to one of the 2 appeals services

in your case its an IPC accredited firm signed up to the IAS for appeals, the BPA logos are likely to be corporate logos and not relevant and they are not signed up to the popla service

from now on you ignore any paperwork UNLESS it is an LBC from the PPC or their solicitors like GLADRAGS ; or an MCOL from Northampton CCBC, so you wont be mentioning anything to anybody whilst it is at the impasse stage

less is more

keep your ammunition dry for any possible court case, mention whatever helps your defence at any future court case in your defence and in your witness statement

as you are not the driver, they have to prove POFA2012 compliance to win in court against a keeper

fail POFA2012 and they fail keeper liability, so as they dont know who was driving , it appears they will lose out , EVENTUALLY
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 3rd Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3,948 Posts
    • 5,573 Thanks
    Half_way
    LOne way to kill this is with a complaint to the landowner who took on the mysterious parking company.
    You are looking to either get a outright cancellation, or a letter/communication form the landowner/whoever took on the parking company saying they do not support/want this matter pursued through the courts and/or any further.
    An outright cancellation will do exactly as it says on the tin, a confirmation that the landowner ( principal) does not want this being pursued will effectively pull the rug form under the parking company
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • spacebicuit
    • By spacebicuit 3rd Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    spacebicuit
    Thanks guys - will take the advice and hold tight.

Regarding appealing to the land owner, why would they agree to cancel the charge since are they not in on this game and making profit out of the operation. If not how can I find out the land owners in question.

What are the opinions on asking for a fee to release the driver information. This is so tempting but would it count against me in a court?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 4th Jan 18, 12:37 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Google would be an obvious start
    The landowner May cancel because they care about people returning to the site.

No way a fee would work. Would be looked upon dimly.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Jan 18, 12:41 AM
    • 52,853 Posts
    • 66,365 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    The first link in the NEWBIES thread is a link to successful complaints to landowners over the years. Works a treat.

• spacebicuit
    • By spacebicuit 4th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    spacebicuit
    In my case the land is a private housing estate which has a Tesco Express on it. The driver has a receipt prooving purchase. I am guessing Tesco only lease the retail space so would they have any sway, is it worth a shot?
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 4th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 40,713 Posts
    • 81,301 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    It's always worth asking. Contact the shop manager not customer services, an include a copy of your receipt. If you are a regular customer you should say that this has put you off ever going there again.
    It may make no difference, but there is no chance of it being cancelled if you don't ask.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 4th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 7,624 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    The Deep
    If the Tesco has a web page, you can always write bad stuff on it. or

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/man-wearing-a-sandwich-board-picture-id80488902?s=612x612
    Last edited by The Deep; 04-01-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • spacebicuit
    • By spacebicuit 5th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    spacebicuit
    I called the Tesco head office number today but it went to customer services. I asked for the name of the manager at the store but apparently they only have the names of the main and metro stores, not the Express stores. She asked what the matter was concerning and after explaining she predictably said they have no say over matters with private parking company and no agreement with them blah blah blah. She was a bit stumped when I said but the store is on private land and as there are some free spaces provided there must be an agreement in place with the land owner. she then reverted to the stock answer.

I will try a letter to the store direct and head office also.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin