Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fairenuff
    • By Fairenuff 28th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 55Thanks
    Fairenuff
    Cheese suggestions
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    Cheese suggestions 28th Dec 17 at 8:19 PM
    I have last of 'bits' of cheese left eg Stilton applewood Brie etc ant ideas what to make to use them up ? Thanks x
Page 1
    • C J
    • By C J 28th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 5,642 Thanks
    C J
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    I am using the leftover Stilton I have to make a roasted butternut squash and Stilton tart.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 28th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 34,810 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    A Mega cheesy pasta dish, add LO Gammon too

Or especially with blue cheese 50/50 with butter as a cheese pate - lush..
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 28-12-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

January GC £250.00/87.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 19,185 Thanks
    caronc
    • 28th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    Potted cheese is lovely loads of recipes online but see No 10 on this list https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/06/23-recipes-for-leftover-cheese-part-1
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 29th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    I'd use the Stilton in a quiche with broccoli; if it's a white Stilton it goes well with Xmas cake. Smoked Applewood in scones. Lots of uses for Brie - lovely baked and topped with chorizo, served with crusty rolls. Or how about using it to stuff a chicken breast? Or on toast, topped with garlic mushrooms? Or in a pasta dish?

Doh, now I'm drooling!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

2018 - Jan £53.34/£140 10/28 NSDs
    2017 - £144.10
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 29th Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 23,507 Posts
    • 91,735 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    Soup. Broccoli & Blue Cheese.

Cheese and potato pasties - mix up cheese with leftover mashed potato, softened onion and some flour to bind, wrap in pastry with egg wash, bake until pastry is cooked.

Melt soft French cheeses as a dip to go with veggie sticks.

Or just add cheese to other meals - one of my favourites, as I don't actually like Edam on its own (or other semi soft cheeses) but there's always one or another in the fridge at Christmas, is to have boiled eggs with cheese on toast soldiers.

Otherwise, just grate the things, bag them up, label them and stick them in the freezer for when you need a tiny bit of x type of cheese.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 30th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 10,315 Posts
    • 26,122 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    Stilton and bacon toasties or baguettes

Stilton is also lovely on top of steak or ever burgers

Applewood is lovely melted into cream as a cheat carbonnara

Brie is nice breadcrumbed and fried, serve with cranberry
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 30th Dec 17, 1:53 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:53 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:53 PM
    A cheeseboard macaroni is one of my annual post-Christmas treats, I confess to always buying "plenty" of cheese to make sure there's enough for it: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/dec/28/christmas-leftover-recipes-10-best
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 5th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,249 Thanks
    purpleybat
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    a macaroni cheese will also use up any past their best tomatoes, mushrooms etc and also off cuts of chorizo and ham that I always seem to be hanging around.

stilton and broccoli pasties are good, softened onions, raw broc in small florets, crumbled cheese wrapped in pastry, I've used shop puff and homemade shortcrust and both were good.

cheese and potato pie? I think there are lots of recipes online tho I tend to par boil spud slices and layer in pastry with crumbled cheese, lightly fried onions and any leftover meat scraps and cover with more pastry before baking at GM6.

brie, courgette and tomato tart.. take puff pastry, foll out to tray size, smear a little pesto on base leaving an inch all the way round then layer sliced veg and cheese (not too thickly) within the inch and bake til puffed. nice hot or cold.

cheesy chops... cook pork chops, smear mustard, pesto whatever you prefer, add thinly sliced tomatoes and crumble on cheese, toast under the grill. I cook my chops under the grill so isn't extra washing up for me, if you don't you'll need to pre-heat your grill and put the chops on tinfoil or something to minimise cleaning.

mixed into mash with cooked onions to go with sausages etc, top fish or cottage pie etc etc

if nothing appeals to you at the mo you could make a cheese sauce and freeze or just freeze the cheese, well wrapped, as it is. remember to label so you don't end up with UFOs
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,329Posts Today

9,375Users online

Martin's Twitter