Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Should we update the posting format to use other letters?

OMG that is the best idea ever!

62.73% • 69 votes

What are you nuts? I totally hate the thought of change

16.36% • 18 votes

Frankly Scarlet I don't give a damn

20.91% • 23 votes

You may not vote on this poll

110 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 28th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 6,805Posts
    • 196,959Thanks
    Moneybot
    Totally loved the "A" for advents ...
    • 28th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    Totally loved the "A" for advents ... 28th Dec 17 at 4:52 PM
    what about we expand the idea for daily, weekly and monthly competitions?

Just a thought as sorting the board to find the advents was so much easier with the "A". That way we could find regular competitions on the main board. We could even have "O" for ongoing.
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    Marcus Aurelius
Page 2
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 31st Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 35,890 Posts
    • 237,627 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Thanks for all the votes and comments so far.

There was a thread before the madness of the advents discussing the "Regular" sub forum, can't find the link atm. The basic feeling was that this caused extra work and a lot of compers were unaware of it's purpose. The idea of using different letters on the main board was to make it easier to find certain types of competitions.

I had assumed not having a sub forum would be less work for the BGs. I assume the issue thith a "A" and the extra space is only if you are using the sort function? If you search instead for "31/12" doesn't that get all competitions ending on the 31st December regardless of the prefix or the spaces?
    Originally posted by Moneybot
    It is much easier to use the sort function than try searching and I believe "search" is also a bigger hit on forum performance than sort.

Apart from extra work for the BGs the "A" made extra work for those who sort by title (that's if they realised competitions were missing) as all comps for one date no longer appeared in one place - additional letters would require looking in even more places.

I don't sort by title so it makes little difference to me but the natural extension of different letters would then be to do away with them completely and have titles that begin "cash", "holiday", "tech", vouchers etc before the date. Then sort would put all the cash competitions etc together rather like many other competition sites.
    • mclarkie
    • By mclarkie 3rd Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 962,399 Thanks
    mclarkie
    Whilst I did not mind the A for advents, just putting (weekly) (Daily) ect in brackets at the end of the title is sufficient, it's a practice that has served us well and does not make more work for the BG's
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 3rd Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 196,959 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Whilst I did not mind the A for advents, just putting (weekly) (Daily) ect in brackets at the end of the title is sufficient, it's a practice that has served us well and does not make more work for the BG's
    Originally posted by mclarkie
    It was to get rid of the Regulars board which I thought did make more work not only for the BGs but also other posters.
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    Marcus Aurelius
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 3rd Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 35,890 Posts
    • 237,627 Thanks
    mjm3346
    It was to get rid of the Regulars board which I thought did make more work not only for the BGs but also other posters.

There is probably nothing in there that requires daily BG work. Monthly/Weekly should already be posted each week/month as appropriate on the main board so they don't need any differentiation from other competitions and the dailies in regulars get added to existing threads.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 9th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 196,959 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Right we are sitting on a majority in favour of the "OMG" (a bigger one than is taking us out of the EU but I won't go there). So what about if we trial it with Daily competitions first? These are the ones which appear to generate extra posting for people and are easy to miss as an end dater.

Could we try D: 12/12 where the date is still the overall end date?

perhap as we now have 4 BGs one could just take on expiring the D codes? Or we could go back to posting comps needing expiring in CCC as I know some people actually quite like pressing expired.
    Marcus Aurelius
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 35,890 Posts
    • 237,627 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Right we are sitting on a majority in favour of the "OMG" (a bigger one than is taking us out of the EU but I won't go there). So what about if we trial it with Daily competitions first? These are the ones which appear to generate extra posting for people and are easy to miss as an end dater.

Could we try D: 12/12 where the date is still the overall end date?

perhap as we now have 4 BGs one could just take on expiring the D codes? Or we could go back to posting comps needing expiring in CCC as I know some people actually quite like pressing expired.

How is it useful to split the end-dates up so they no longer all show in one place when the board is sorted into order?

The "majority" represents well under 10% of the people who thank some posts so hardly compelling evidence to change anything.

(How are these producing extra posting for people anyway?)

Taking the EU example 27% of the electorate voted leave while here only 6.3% are "OMG" (using a low figure of 1,000 thanks as the electorate)
    Last edited by mjm3346; 09-01-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    • morningpostie
    • By morningpostie 10th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 125,858 Thanks
    morningpostie
    How is it useful to split the end-dates up so they no longer all show in one place when the board is sorted into order?)
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I agree completely. It seems it would only be useful for those that don't sort the board. Everyone comps in different ways however. It made sense for the advent season, but this is almost akin to "I want a separate board for each type of competition" and generally that was disliked as an option when that was the flavour of the month.

Maybe it would be more useful to get everyone that posts comps to post in the one correct format first, before expanding that to 6 or 7 different letters. I've noticed when I've come on early (before a BG has had a chance to 'tidy') that the ends are a complete mishmash of too many spaces, not putting a 0 on a single digit date, no E:, using e: etc etc.

My personal opinion would be to post the weekly and monthly entries as separate comps, anything on-going to be posted with E: 31/12*, get rid of the Regulars board completely and the 'lists' too, simply because there would be nowhere to house them (maybe CCC?) If you use the lists, then maybe use the subscribed thread function or your browsers bookmarking system.

Whatever the decision will be, there will be some people not happy with it.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 14th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 196,959 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Not sure why you think it causes problems for those who sort the board. D makes it really easy to find daily competitions ect in the same way A made finding advent really easy.

I agree that maybe trying it with one extra letter first would be best. So what about D for dailey?
    Marcus Aurelius
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 14th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 35,890 Posts
    • 237,627 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Not sure why you think it causes problems for those who sort the board. D makes it really easy to find daily competitions ect in the same way A made finding advent really easy.

I agree that maybe trying it with one extra letter first would be best. So what about D for dailey?

If you sort the board at the moment all the posts for say the 14th appear together, if you have different letters they will not.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 14th Jan 18, 10:49 PM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 196,959 Thanks
    Moneybot
    If you sort the board at the moment all the posts for say the 14th appear together, if you have different letters they will not.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    So what? If you are end date comping that means you will have missed every day but the last day.
    Marcus Aurelius
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 14th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 35,890 Posts
    • 237,627 Thanks
    mjm3346
    So what? If you are end date comping that means you will have missed every day but the last day.

Not quite sure what your point is, even if it was only one day that could be a day missed that wouldn't be at the moment, but end-dating doesn't necessarily mean entering on the last day, it's just entering by date and that could be any number of days before a competition closes.
    • Surfermom
    • By Surfermom 15th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 17,860 Thanks
    Surfermom
    Not taking any side here but just a question for those who comp by end date. If you wish to enter dailies, why don't you regularly check the dailies thread then you won't miss anything.

I enter from the start of the board but I still check the dailies every few days in case I've missed anything. It's just a click of the button and takes seconds, how can posting comps with a 'D' make things any easier?

I also think that some people are totally ignoring the fact that Glad has said changing the way comps are listed will make more work for the board guides. Does nobody care about this?
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 15th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 35,890 Posts
    • 237,627 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Anyway, regardless of the number of votes, in any proper circumstances the "poll" would be considered invalid because the answer options are clearly not balanced and are designed to elicit one response rather than be (however limited) a true gauge of opinion.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 16th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 196,959 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Thank you to all the positive comments. I can see that people would rather adopt a posting option that nobody voted for.
    Marcus Aurelius
    • SaraKeer
    • By SaraKeer 18th Jan 18, 12:30 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    SaraKeer
    Many end daters would indeed miss every day but the last day (or last few days). It's one of the biggest frustrations of end dating.

Many end daters wouldn't like the different letter idea - because rather than managing to enter them once (or a few times if they stay a couple of days ahead) they might miss them completely as they would be out of sync on the main board.

Ok for advents because there are lots of them and all type of compers are geared up for checking a separate advents area but for ad hoc dailies and weeklies it would be more annoying and they might easily forget to look for them.

Another frustration is that there is no differentiation between the 2 different types of daily comps on here (ones that allow daily entries to the same comp, or a series of comps running over a number of days for like a week or so).

The former, should definitely be posted as one thread, the latter should really be posted as separate threads from an end dater's point of view.

Not taking any side here but just a question for those who comp by end date. If you wish to enter dailies, why don't you regularly check the dailies thread then you won't miss anything.
    Originally posted by Surfermom
    I would imagine a lot of end daters end date because they have limited time so never manage to clear the board. This limited time can make it a stress to clear a particular day against the clock and it's easy to forget/not get time to check somewhere else.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 18th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 293,847 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    I don't know if you'll ever get a consensus on this, it was the same with the A for advents, it took a lot of trying to point out the benefits before people reluctantly accepted it and a lot of the arguments people were raising were pretty unrealistic in a "what if" type scenario.

There's talk about people not having much time to check the end of the board for another letter, but if they don't have time to do that then they don't have time to go check the Reg's board either so it shouldn't make a difference (I'm assuming this post is about getting rid of the Regular Competitions forum?).

It's the same for End Date compers ... End Daters don't generally have time to catch up so i doubt they look at the Regs forum either. (and end daters would only ever see the Mag Dailies on the end date if they were end dating anyway, so what's the problem?)

Having an O: D: M: (or whatever they are) might be a bit much, so maybe if you keep it to D: (Daily) and then have keep the (Mag Daily) at the end (Ongoing) type thing (I guess you'd need a weekly too), I don't do the Mags or the dailies so I'm not the best person to comment.

I said I wasn't posting in here anymore but I'll make an exception here 'cause we just seem to be going round in circles and as with the advents a lot of the points raised aren't even valid.
    Last edited by sleepyjones; Yesterday at 10:41 AM.
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,120Posts Today

8,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin