Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 28th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 630Posts
    • 108Thanks
    kuepper
    0 WOW
    Disrupted group tour-compensation?
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Disrupted group tour-compensation? 28th Dec 17 at 1:00 PM
    Last month I went on a small group tour to Taiwan I'd booked with a UK firm. The actual tour was delivered by a local travel agent. The group comprised myself and 6 non UK nationals. Part of the itinerary was 'hijacked' by 4 of the group who persuaded the guide to spend hours travelling to places not included in the itinerary (at the expense of places that were). I'm never likely to go to Taiwan again so I was miffed at missing once in a lifetime opportunities to visit some sights. I complained to the guide but to no avail. When i got back I complained to the UK firm and they have responded to the effect that the guide was pleasing the majority of the group. They have offered me £50 off a future holiday as compensation but i don't feel satisfied with that as I will never travel with them again. Do I just forget it or do I have any options?
Page 1
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 28th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    The Uk tour operator would have made a hefty profit on the Tour.

Are they part of ABTA or other UK travel association?

Look into trades description and see if there is leverage there?

Look into their T&C and see if they have indemnified themselves?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 28th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    kuepper
    • 28th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    yes they (regent holidays) are in ABTA and AITO. I've looked their sites and think i'll send regent a more formal email which alludes to involving abta or aito to see if that changes their minds - and if it doesn't go through the abta complaints process though it seems that incurs a fee to go to arbitration if there's no settllement.

Also in regent's t&c's it states "...transportation schedules and other parts of the holiday may be subject to alterations beyond our control at short notice". I can appreciate changes occur because of weather, illness, strikes, traffic, breakdowns etc but being persuaded to deviate from the itinerary on a 'majority vote' is incredible. I chose this particular holiday because of the appeal of the itinerary which ticked all my boxes; if I had been told the itinerary could change at any time if a majority of passengers wanted it changed I'd never have booked it.
    Last edited by kuepper; 28-12-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 29th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,728 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 29th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 29th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    yes they (regent holidays) are in ABTA and AITO. I've looked their sites and think i'll send regent a more formal email which alludes to involving abta or aito to see if that changes their minds - and if it doesn't go through the abta complaints process though it seems that incurs a fee to go to arbitration if there's no settllement.

Also in regent's t&c's it states "...transportation schedules and other parts of the holiday may be subject to alterations beyond our control at short notice". I can appreciate changes occur because of weather, illness, strikes, traffic, breakdowns etc but being persuaded to deviate from the itinerary on a 'majority vote' is incredible. I chose this particular holiday because of the appeal of the itinerary which ticked all my boxes; if I had been told the itinerary could change at any time if a majority of passengers wanted it changed I'd never have booked it.
    Originally posted by kuepper
    Yep, absolutely incredible, and absolutely unacceptable.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 29th Dec 17, 10:50 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:50 AM
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:50 AM
    Basically you were not provided with the holiday you had booked which is outrageous. Did you pay for any part of the holiday with a credit card, if so , there may be some leverage via the CC company.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 29th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Westin
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    Which of the regent Taiwan tour did you book and what elements of the tour were missed?

https://www.regent-holidays.co.uk/country/taiwan-group-tours/
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 29th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    Wow, that's not good at all, I would certainly look into it further.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 29th Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    katejo
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    Did you know any of the other participants before you went? Were they already friends before they booked this trip? Did you or the other person try to stop the leader changing the activities while you were there? I agree that it sounds really unreasonable and you should challenge it. When I book group trips as a solo traveller, I always check in advance that the group doesn't include a group of people who already know each other. It makes it harder for the overall group to gel.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 29th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    kuepper
    • 29th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    Did you know any of the other participants before you went? Were they already friends before they booked this trip? Did you or the other person try to stop the leader changing the activities while you were there? I agree that it sounds really unreasonable and you should challenge it. When I book group trips as a solo traveller, I always check in advance that the group doesn't include a group of people who already know each other. It makes it harder for the overall group to gel.
    Originally posted by katejo
    There was a group of 4 Austrian women friends and an Aussie couple, it was the Austrians who initiated the itinerary changes. I objected to no avail, the Aussies said nothing. Appreciate what you say about group bonding but a group who already know each other could always book after you.
    Last edited by kuepper; 29-12-2017 at 5:22 PM.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 29th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    kuepper
    Which of the regent Taiwan tour did you book and what elements of the tour were missed?

https://www.regent-holidays.co.uk/country/taiwan-group-tours/
    Originally posted by Westin
    the 7 day (the first 2 days were run by a different agent to the last 5 when the tour took place and the problems occurred). Lost about 5 hours of free day time (important when it gets dark at around 5 pm) visiting places that weren't on the itinerary that , the chance to explore Sun Moon Lake area day 4 and the visit to Lukang day 7.
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 29th Dec 17, 5:27 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    Doesn’t sound like you got what you were expecting and paid for- I wouldn’t be happy with that either.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 30th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    If you're not getting any satisfaction from Regent Holidays regarding your complaint then now might be a good time to add your review to their website - thats assuming that it will be published. It might just get their attention.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 4th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    kuepper
    Just to say they've upped their offer to a no strings £100 and I've accepted to bring things to a quick conclusion though of course I'm still irritated at missing some interesting places. Thanks for everyone's advice and moral support.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,271Posts Today

10,051Users online

Martin's Twitter