Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ronen1976
    • By ronen1976 27th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ronen1976
    PRA group debt collectors
    • 27th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    PRA group debt collectors 27th Dec 17 at 9:11 PM
    Hello everyone
    I am seeking some advice please . I took out a £3000 loan from Halifax around 2005-2006 shortly after that I fell into depression and lost my job, as a result I was unable to afford my repayments and I got a CCJ . I struggled financially for a couple of years after because of my depression. After years of getting myself back on my feet I over looked the debt until recently I received a call from PRA group uk saying that they bought the debt from Halifax bank and they are willing to reduce the debt by 90%. I agreed but didnít pay as yet , they gave me 28 days for the offer and to seek advice . What shall I do , should I pay the amount as I donít want it to ruin my credit rating after suffering for so long to rebuild it.
Page 2
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 28th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 13,026 Posts
    • 12,335 Thanks
    sourcrates
    It costs money to go back to court, and they really would be flogging a dead horse asking a court to allow enforcement of a CCJ over 6 years old.

Its gone from your file, so cant come back, makes no difference to your credit file what you do now.

Personally i`d write and invite them to obtain a courts permission to allow enforcement, or never to contact you again about the matter.

They know its a long shot, that's why they have offered such a massive discount.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • ronen1976
    • By ronen1976 8th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ronen1976
    So I phoned them a couple of days ago to settle and asked when they bought the debt, they said that they bought the debt collection agency that was dealing with my case and took over the debt from them in 2007 when the CCJ was active. The person I spoke to kept telling me are you sure you’re ok with paying, and is it going to effect you financially? Which made me feel uneasy and worried that it might trigger something that might effect my credit score and legally they have to notify me without telling the full consequences of my actions, I might be over reacting and the person was simply being genuine and caring but I find it hard to believe coming from these types of companies. They extended the period of which I have to pay until the 25/01 to think about it and seek advice. Please give me some input and food for thought. Many thanks.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Jan 18, 5:33 PM
    • 13,026 Posts
    • 12,335 Thanks
    sourcrates
    So I phoned them a couple of days ago to settle and asked when they bought the debt, they said that they bought the debt collection agency that was dealing with my case and took over the debt from them in 2007 when the CCJ was active. The person I spoke to kept telling me are you sure you’re ok with paying, and is it going to effect you financially? Which made me feel uneasy and worried that it might trigger something that might effect my credit score and legally they have to notify me without telling the full consequences of my actions, I might be over reacting and the person was simply being genuine and caring but I find it hard to believe coming from these types of companies. They extended the period of which I have to pay until the 25/01 to think about it and seek advice. Please give me some input and food for thought. Many thanks.
    Originally posted by ronen1976
    Don`t worry, they have not suddenly grown a conscience.

The FSA has clamped down on affordability in all areas of debt management, new rules obligate creditors to make sure anything you pay them is affordable to you.

A positive step forward in my opinion.

If you want to pay it, then by all means do so, but they would not be able to enforce the CCJ without going back to court, as previously stated.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,650Posts Today

8,257Users online

Martin's Twitter