Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 26th Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 5Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    0 WOW
    - can i watch youtube live tv?
    • 26th Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    0 WOW
    - can i watch youtube live tv? 26th Dec 17 at 1:34 PM
    With the license needed for TV watching of BBC iplayer, I am wondering if I need license also to watch live tv shows such as CNN, Bloomberg and FOX on youtube?
    smartfit888 Daily free exercises
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 26th Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 32,435 Posts
    • 38,076 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    Not required
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 26th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    Not required
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Why not?

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 26th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    Sometimes required.

Needed for viewing all internet streamed versions of Broadcast channels. TVL say all channels worldwide but the law suggests UK.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 26th Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    Not required

How do you know? Do you have link?
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 26th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    With the license needed for TV watching of BBC iplayer, I am wondering if I need license also to watch live tv shows such as CNN, Bloomberg and FOX on youtube?
    Originally posted by thriftyarek888

licence required if you are watching live TV on any channel , through any device

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 26th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 32,435 Posts
    • 38,076 Thanks
    Browntoa
    They are not UK channels , there is no need for a licence

Only needed to watch UK TV channels
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 26th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    They are not UK channels , there is no need for a licence

Only needed to watch UK TV channels
    The requirement is that the are being shown live "in the UK" - so they may be foreign stations , but still require a licence
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

( though how you know which ones are available in the UK on live TV - I have no idea )
    Last edited by dlusman; 26-12-2017 at 5:03 PM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 26th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 26th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    CNN is on Sky/Freesat, so requires a Licence to view on Youtube.

Bloomberg is on Sky/VM, so requires a Licence to view on Youtube.

Fox News was removed from Sky, so the law suggests no Licence is required to watch on Youtube, but TVL says otherwise.

TVL's general comments on this are: "Do I need a TV Licence if I watch Programmes broadcast from outside the UK or Channel Islands? Yes you do. You need a TV Licence to watch or record live TV, no matter where it is broadcast or distributed from. This includes satellite or online streamed programmes from outside the UK or Channel Islands, such as sporting events and foreign shows".

(No prizes for spotting that this wording is ambiguous, since it doesn't matter where the programs originate in a general sense, only where they are broadcast from).

I imagine that is based on this clause from S.361(7) of the 2003 Communications Act:

"References in this section to members of the public are references to members of the public in, or in any area of, any one or more countries or territories (which may or may not include the United Kingdom)".

However, that wording is clearly not definitive, and I don't think it was ever intended to be. I would intend to rely upon this from the 2004 TV Licensing Regulations:

[In Part 3 of the Act] "'members of the public' means members of the public in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man"

Unfortunately, BBC-TVL have history on being unhelpful and confusing with this kind of thing. Who would have thought that it wasn't in their interests to give the Public good clear advice, based on relevant law?
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 28th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    So can I watch CNN, SKY and Bloomber live on youtube? i am confused.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 28th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    So can I watch CNN, SKY and Bloomber live on youtube? i am confused.
    No. Not without a TV Licence.

• thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 18th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    So confusing. SOme say you can. Some say no. Seems a bit of a grey area? thanks
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 18th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    So confusing. SOme say you can. Some say no. Seems a bit of a grey area? thanks
    It is confusing and it is a grey area (in so much as the law and TV Licensing appear to differ).

However, my advice in post #4 is as definitive as you'll get. Whether you believe me or not is your prerogative. Whatever you choose to do, please exercise extreme caution with TV Licensing - they are difficult and unpredictable to deal with, and in some crucial areas I believe their legal compliance to be defective.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 18-01-2018 at 6:08 PM.

• thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 7th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    So anyone watches foreign TV on net like Bloomberg without license?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    So anyone watches foreign TV on net like Bloomberg without license?
    Bloomberg is Sky channel 502, and therefore requires a TV Licence to view.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,941Posts Today

8,880Users online

Martin's Twitter