Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4,488Posts
    • 5,793Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    Boots Sale
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    Boots Sale 24th Dec 17 at 11:28 PM
    Now on but taking ages to go through check out....

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Fri 9 Feb: Speculation as to when Boots will boost its 'up to 70% off sale' to 'up to 90% off' has been around for a few weeks. Here's our Boots sale write-up with all the info we have so far, we'll update it when we know more.

Big thanks to Mimi Arc en ciel for starting the discussion!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 09-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 28
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 9th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    That's a lot of stock - in Durham Market Place & Arnison Centre there was virtually nothing left at all at the beginning of the week.
    Originally posted by catswiththumbs
    It's one of their flagship Oxford Street stores, although smaller stores we checked still had a bit of stock it's not loads and most of it looked, er... chewed?
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter & Facebook to grab the latest MSE Deals.
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 9th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    Someone has just posted on another site that Zoella calendars are being given away free with a purchase of £20 of Benefit make up.

Happened at Boots Worthing apparently.

Credit to happenstance on HDUK

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-zoella-advent-calendar-with-some-boots-purchases-instore-worthing-2891604#comments
    • Africat
    • By Africat 9th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Africat
    Just been in my local, 90% off seems to have shifted all the Fabletics but there's still no movement with the Zoella calendars and Lucy M whatever her name is

The calendars seem to have been stocked up!!

Apart from that still a load of roll wrap and some small packs of cards at 10p each...
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 9th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Which items exactly are you looking at? I would imagine it's not sale items, as those would have been in like a Christmas gift set. I imagine it's just that No 7 is on special offer at the moment. Like some items are 3 for 2 and some are buy 1 get 1 1/2 price. If so, and the Birthday is soon - then I'd take whatever current offer you can get because it will reduce the price. I notice today on their site they are advertising £10 worth of points for every £60 you spend. That's a decent offer that doesn't come around too often, but you might not be looking to spend that much. But maybe there are some things you need as well?

Don't forget to use your Advantage card on all spends at Boots, as the points soon add up - especially when you take advantage of the offers they send you. See if you have any related to No 7?
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    It was serum and creams in a giftset. Buying some for someone's Birthday in two week but she wants a few things and I can't afford all, so was going to buy a little something from No 7.

I spoke to a lady in Boots and she said the current offers should stay on until Mothers Day. Not sure I want to spend £60 as like I say, she wants a few little bits rather than one big thing. I thought about the £45 set reduced apparently from £93.

I have an advantage card but not any vouchers. I've not actually had any vouchers for a long time from Boots and when I have had things handed to me from the till, i've tended to bin them as i've never bought No7 - and now I need one.....

Thanks for the advice.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New target - lose remainder of fat and gain muscle
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 9th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 6,267 Posts
    • 19,980 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Someone has just posted on another site that Zoella calendars are being given away free with a purchase of £20 of Benefit make up.
    I wondered if they'd end up doing something like that! Bet they won't make the same mistake next Christmas.
    • JuC
    • By JuC 9th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    JuC
    I got a couple of bits - a Zoella Journal and Lucy M kit with the smart phone holder for total of £3. Who would pay £14 for a note book!!! No signs showing it was 90% but went through till fine. Left the pile of Zoella calendars there! Only other bits were lots of small Lucy M sets and flat packed red gift boxes.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 19,935 Posts
    • 32,697 Thanks
    Spendless

Happened at Boots Worthing apparently.

Credit to happenstance on HDUK

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-zoella-advent-calendar-with-some-boots-purchases-instore-worthing-2891604#comments
    B*gger, because I have a confession to make. I've gone and bought a Zoella calendar I'd rather had it free and spent £20 on Benefit though. My town Boots is over 2 floors, and the calendars are upstairs as this is where their Christmas gift range goes, whereas all the Beauty counters are downstairs, so I wouldn't have spotted it, if indeed it was on - some enterprising manager determined that they won't be left with the calendars perhaps?

I haven't opened it yet as DD is about. What I was thinking is when she's safely at her drama class, I'll open and post about the contents on here and we can all have a Friday night giggle.

I wondered if they'd end up doing something like that! Bet they won't make the same mistake next Christmas.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    It only occurred to me today that Zoella has her own beauty range, bath fizzers and soaps etc, so why was nothing of that sort in the calendar? I think I've only ever seen it in Superdrug though, so wonder if the products are exclusive to there?
    • Africat
    • By Africat 9th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Africat
    Well done on getting Soap & Glory!!!

I couldn't get to ours for opening, but there was still a lot of calendars/fabletics/lucy m left at 10am.
    Got a bunch of wrapping paper (they are enforcing the 6 of each item per person rule).
    Originally posted by Desperado99
    I can't understand the 6 item rule at this stage; you'd think they'd just want to get rid if it now to get the store looking fresh, it's mostly just stuff that nobody really wants anyway.
    Even with the wrapping paper I won't bother as it's been 10p a roll in Wilko and M&S had nicer gift wrap at 39p too.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 9th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Africat
    So; do we even think there will be a Zoella range at all this Christmas??
    I think they may knock it on the head and do away with it altogether, it's been about a couple of years or so now so probably run it's course; Boots generally only seem to have a range for about 3 years before doing away with it anyway; that is apart from the core staples such as Soap & Glory, Champneys, Ted Baker, Sanctuary, Joules etc...
    • Desperado99
    • By Desperado99 9th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    Desperado99
    I can't understand the 6 item rule at this stage; you'd think they'd just want to get rid if it now to get the store looking fresh, it's mostly just stuff that nobody really wants anyway.
    Even with the wrapping paper I won't bother as it's been 10p a roll in Wilko and M&S had nicer gift wrap at 39p too.
    Originally posted by Africat
    I have to admit it was still more expensive than the stuff I got from the card factory on Jan 2nd (although less transparent lol) same price but 10m rolls rather than 4m. I can't ever imagine buying xmas wrap at full price

I agree that whilst the 6 item rule is totally understandable for the 70% sale it's daft at this point.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 9th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Africat
    I have to admit it was still more expensive than the stuff I got from the card factory on Jan 2nd (although less transparent lol) same price but 10m rolls rather than 4m. I can't ever imagine buying xmas wrap at full price

I agree that whilst the 6 item rule is totally understandable for the 70% sale it's daft at this point.
    Originally posted by Desperado99
    Me too; don't think I've ever paid full price for roll wrap in my life; same goes with Christmas cards; massively over priced in the first place... I mean, who are all these people that are daft enough to pay £3quid a roll for paper that just gets ripped off and put in the bin
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 48,554 Thanks
    kerri gt
    spendless that's brilliant, I can't wait to see th contents. You're right, she does have her own range of cosmetics etc and had some other gift sets in Superdrug this Xmas. Actually I think some of those were quite nice to tweens or teens and deff better value than Boots. I have a couple of young ladies I do buy for but didn't go for Zoella as I'm pretty sure one of them would not be into her and it's easier to get them both the same gift.

Not been in my local so sure there's nothing left ahh well it was fun for another year.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 19,935 Posts
    • 32,697 Thanks
    Spendless
    Ok, DD is safely out of the way, so I fetch you 'The Zoella calendar' as tonight's entertainment.

It is described on the box as 'The lifestyle advent calendar' so it is indeed half an advent calendar, whereas I thought of it as being a '12 days of christmas calendar' to be used from Christmas Day till twelth night made more sense.

I shall assume DD is the recipient and give you her likely reactions as well as my comments. For background DD is 14, almost 15, sometimes thinks she's 27 and sometimes acts as though she's 2.

Anyway

Day 1- Xmas dec- ceramic coaster size and shape bauble with wording 'merry and bright' could also be used as a coaster. Unfortunately for DD the Xmas tree is unlikely to be up on Dec 1st/2nd as she doesn't have a mother who puts it up that early, will either be used as the coaster or lost/broken before the tree goes up.

Day 2 - Very pretty packaging saying Zoella make a wish confetti, open it up and it's table confetti , green and gold stars. Very naff, DD will either think it goes with all the boring stuff that parents buy like napkins or decide it's fun to decorate her schoolfriends and schoolbag with it and end up in detention.

Day 3 - A star shaped cookie cutter, small and relatively flimsy, maybe my 16yo neice who likes baking would appreciate it, but for DD it also belongs in the 'random household stuff that parents buy' drawer along with the table confetti. No better quality than the type that I used to sometimes get as the 'free' gift on comics for her, when she was 6!

Day 4 - booklet saying 'sticker collection' Turns out to be 7 stickers that you'd put on presents you've bought someone as they say things like 'Don't open until 25th December' and 'lots of love' DD will think the stickers pretty, complain about the amount of them as that means 'Chloe' won't be able to have one, unless I go buy another calendar and how unfair I am when I refuse and then after sulking for a bit, keep them just for her 'besties' and the others can have some from a bumper roll Mum bought in Home Bargains for 39p, whilst rolling her eyes and making comments about how cheap I am.

Day 5 - The best so far, described elsewhere as a 'purse' it's actually a slim pencil case or small make up bag. Admittedly you wouldn't fit too much in it, DD's lip balm collection or the few stationery items I carry with me, to ensure I always have a pen if needed. If she doesn't want this, then I'm having it!

Day 6 - Another good day. A votive candle in festive cookie' in a glass holder that's decorated with gold gingerbread men. Shame Mum doesn't let DD have candles, convinced she'll burn the house down.

Day 7 - On a roll now. Small room spray in 'Christmas clementine'. Perhaps it would have been better to have a bodyspray as a gift, but never mind. DD likes everything to smell 'pretty'. She will probably keep this on hand to douse her room in if her brother comes in.

Day 8 - Slim gold pen. Also nice and it works (I checked!) Admittedly it's not as nice as the Swarvoski pen I found in her pencil case last week - a gift to me from my husband's employers at a very swanky everything paid for weekend DH and I went on a few years ago and def not as nice as the Cross pens of DH's that cost upwards of £40 and were also found in her schoolbag.

Day 9 - OMG - I thought someone had left a small tuft of hair in there by accident. It is a weird green-black hairy key-ring! DD will clearly think this is an opportunity to point out what a good bargain buying her a £39 Michael Kors pom-pom key-ring is instead. I might just use it as a threat, that if she loses another door key, that's the key-ring she'll be using.

Day 10 - Another cookie cutter - Gingerbread man shaped. See day 3 for thoughts!

Day 11 - Notepad. This is small and thin but not as minuscule as I'd imagined it to be. Ok for the odd note. Can't look inside as it's shrink wrapped in plastic. Very likely I'll be adding it to the stationery items I keep in my bag.

Day 12 - Really lovely. Substantial size candle fragrance 'Christmas clementine' the room spray makes a bit more sense now in a decorative glass container. DD will be on a sulk that she now owns 2 candles and isn't allowed either of them.

Overall view - Was it worth £50. Hell, No. Even with my Zoella fan I'd have wanted to pay about £20ish, maybe upto £25 as an 'indulgence'
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 48,554 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Spendless that was utterly brilliant and has made my evening - thank you for buying it and describing it all so well. I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would price that at £50 when you compare it to some of the others about, even the Prosecco calendar from Aldi...though granted giving that to a 14yr old would quite prob be frowned upon
    JAN NSD 11/16

• redagila
    • By redagila 9th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 14,845 Thanks
    redagila
    Well done Spendless - I can see your daughter now & brings back memories of mine at that age. You gave me a good laugh before I'm off to bed.
    • Techno
    • By Techno 9th Feb 18, 11:53 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Techno
    As expected - Zoella was well worth a fiver but definitely wasn’t worth 50 quid
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • Africat
    • By Africat 10th Feb 18, 7:47 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Africat
    I'm still baffled by half an 'advent calendar' are you meant to do them every other day or what???
    How could she (Zoella) get it so wrong

Should've just sold 'em at 15quid before Christmas, they're quite bulky to be buying to store away now, boxes will just get tatty and no guarantees that teens will still be into her come Christmas 2018

Spendless
    I'm still cracked up by the MK pom-pom keyring being cheaper than the original price of the so-called 'calendar'

Hope your DD doesn't read this forum or Mum's gonna be in big trouble
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 48,554 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Africat with logic like that spendless DD will go far in this world
    Last edited by kerri gt; 10-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 10th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    Ok, DD is safely out of the way, so I fetch you 'The Zoella calendar' as tonight's entertainment.

It is described on the box as 'The lifestyle advent calendar' so it is indeed half an advent calendar, whereas I thought of it as being a '12 days of christmas calendar' to be used from Christmas Day till twelth night made more sense.

I shall assume DD is the recipient and give you her likely reactions as well as my comments. For background DD is 14, almost 15, sometimes thinks she's 27 and sometimes acts as though she's 2.

Anyway

Day 1- Xmas dec- ceramic coaster size and shape bauble with wording 'merry and bright' could also be used as a coaster. Unfortunately for DD the Xmas tree is unlikely to be up on Dec 1st/2nd as she doesn't have a mother who puts it up that early, will either be used as the coaster or lost/broken before the tree goes up.

Day 2 - Very pretty packaging saying Zoella make a wish confetti, open it up and it's table confetti , green and gold stars. Very naff, DD will either think it goes with all the boring stuff that parents buy like napkins or decide it's fun to decorate her schoolfriends and schoolbag with it and end up in detention.

Day 3 - A star shaped cookie cutter, small and relatively flimsy, maybe my 16yo neice who likes baking would appreciate it, but for DD it also belongs in the 'random household stuff that parents buy' drawer along with the table confetti. No better quality than the type that I used to sometimes get as the 'free' gift on comics for her, when she was 6!

Day 4 - booklet saying 'sticker collection' Turns out to be 7 stickers that you'd put on presents you've bought someone as they say things like 'Don't open until 25th December' and 'lots of love' DD will think the stickers pretty, complain about the amount of them as that means 'Chloe' won't be able to have one, unless I go buy another calendar and how unfair I am when I refuse and then after sulking for a bit, keep them just for her 'besties' and the others can have some from a bumper roll Mum bought in Home Bargains for 39p, whilst rolling her eyes and making comments about how cheap I am.

Day 5 - The best so far, described elsewhere as a 'purse' it's actually a slim pencil case or small make up bag. Admittedly you wouldn't fit too much in it, DD's lip balm collection or the few stationery items I carry with me, to ensure I always have a pen if needed. If she doesn't want this, then I'm having it!

Day 6 - Another good day. A votive candle in festive cookie' in a glass holder that's decorated with gold gingerbread men. Shame Mum doesn't let DD have candles, convinced she'll burn the house down.

Day 7 - On a roll now. Small room spray in 'Christmas clementine'. Perhaps it would have been better to have a bodyspray as a gift, but never mind. DD likes everything to smell 'pretty'. She will probably keep this on hand to douse her room in if her brother comes in.

Day 8 - Slim gold pen. Also nice and it works (I checked!) Admittedly it's not as nice as the Swarvoski pen I found in her pencil case last week - a gift to me from my husband's employers at a very swanky everything paid for weekend DH and I went on a few years ago and def not as nice as the Cross pens of DH's that cost upwards of £40 and were also found in her schoolbag.

Day 9 - OMG - I thought someone had left a small tuft of hair in there by accident. It is a weird green-black hairy key-ring! DD will clearly think this is an opportunity to point out what a good bargain buying her a £39 Michael Kors pom-pom key-ring is instead. I might just use it as a threat, that if she loses another door key, that's the key-ring she'll be using.

Day 10 - Another cookie cutter - Gingerbread man shaped. See day 3 for thoughts!

Day 11 - Notepad. This is small and thin but not as minuscule as I'd imagined it to be. Ok for the odd note. Can't look inside as it's shrink wrapped in plastic. Very likely I'll be adding it to the stationery items I keep in my bag.

Day 12 - Really lovely. Substantial size candle fragrance 'Christmas clementine' the room spray makes a bit more sense now in a decorative glass container. DD will be on a sulk that she now owns 2 candles and isn't allowed either of them.

Overall view - Was it worth £50. Hell, No. Even with my Zoella fan I'd have wanted to pay about £20ish, maybe upto £25 as an 'indulgence'
    Originally posted by Spendless

Brilliant - I've just read it this morning so that's set me up for the day. If by some chance I pass a Boots store today I'll poke my nose in and see what's left. If anyone spots a random woman chuckling to herself in Boots it'll be me remembering things from Spendless's post.

See you all back on here in December/January for more fun and predictions, take care everyone xx
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 10th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 12,896 Posts
    • 40,738 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I'm still baffled by half an 'advent calendar' are you meant to do them every other day or what???
    How could she (Zoella) get it so wrong
    Originally posted by Africat
    They haven't got anything wrong, there are only 12 days of Christmas?
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,653Users online

Martin's Twitter